ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

1 hour ago, zephyr1934 said:

Looks like they are bringing back the Duplo Intelli-Train.

I hadn't seen this legacy duplo product before. Of course now, there is also an app...

I'm looking forward to details about that Bluetooth connection. Regarding to a source, it seems that Bluetooth is built into the new battery / rechargeable boxes. So no seperate transmitter, that's a YAY already. Looks also like those new power boxes do have connectors that look like WeDo 2.0, no more PF connectors as we know them. Not sure if I like this last info bit...

Hopefully LEGO releases the protocol for BT, so we can control our trains from PC / tablet / smartphone or whatever.

Edited by Capparezza

I have just read this report from the Nuremberg fair:

http://zusammengebaut.com/lego-city-gueterzug-60198-und-passagierzug-60197-mit-power-functions-2-0-43773/

They claim that they could peek inside one of the new trains, and the BT receiver is there and is of the same size as the IR one. I am not 100% convinced though, that they are right with this. :) According to the Article, TLG is still working on an app to control the trains by a smartphone or tablet, so probably there will be a way to do that.

I have just seen the first pictures of the two new train sets (presented at the Lego News Toy Fair 2018) that will be released in June 2018: set 60197 Passenger Train and set 60198 Cargo Train, both with Power Function 2.0

My comment:  Basically the same themes as in previous years. Nothing really new (maybe with the exception of PF 2.0 - I couldn't care less) And the electric cargo locomotive in green looks just uggly ....

Very disappointing "news" indeed. Surprised? Hardly ...

Lego Train - Quo Vadis .....?

Edited by Haddock51

2 hours ago, ClassicTrains said:

They claim that they could peek inside one of the new trains, and the BT receiver is there and is of the same size as the IR one.

Bummer... If they would have eliminated that receiver part, I'd be much happier. I suspect the battery box will be of same size as the old one? Well, then it is still a "no" to a small shunter engine.

3 hours ago, Capparezza said:

Regarding to a source, it seems that Bluetooth is built into the new battery / rechargeable boxes. So no seperate transmitter, that's a YAY already. Looks also like those new power boxes do have connectors that look like WeDo 2.0, no more PF connectors as we know them. Not sure if I like this last info bit...

Yeah, the biggest issue is stackability. Even sets require more than one light set. Hope they have a solution—more inputs or an expansion connector. Backward compatability also important. 

40 minutes ago, Capparezza said:

Bummer... If they would have eliminated that receiver part, I'd be much happier. I suspect the battery box will be of same size as the old one? Well, then it is still a "no" to a small shunter engine.

This is almost certainly not right — there is no separate receiver in WeDo and using one is completely unnecessary. I suspect the reference was that the new combined battery box and receiver fit the profile of the old battery box. 

3 hours ago, ClassicTrains said:

and the BT receiver is there and is of the same size as the IR one.

There is no need to big as big. Bluetooth receivers can be quite small and they won't need the "dome" top to catch the IR beam from many directions. The nice thing about bluetooth is that it can be completely embedded inside and thus hidden.

I agree with you all, and I understand what you say. :) I just wrote what was reported on zusammengebaut.com. We will see whether they were right or missed something. I also hope badly for a short shunter (which could still be a realistic idea for next year, when - hopefully - a second cargo train arrives), so I would like to see an integrated BT receiver too.

Ideal battery/BT receiver combo: 3 studs wide so it can be hidden by tiles in a 4 wide build, at least 3A output, and 4 ports.

My guess is that we will see none of this except MAYBE the 4 ports. If the output power is limited to 1.5A that will make long trains a lot more difficult... or $50 more expensive because you have to buy two batteries.

As for the separate IR receiver, there was a post a few pages back that recognized the new passenger train has the same 1x2 cheese slope assembly as used on the current passenger train to hide the IR receiver. The IR receiver option might be a legacy feature while they are finalizing the PF2 that will be removed from the artwork, or...?

1 minute ago, zephyr1934 said:

As for the separate IR receiver, there was a post a few pages back that recognized the new passenger train has the same 1x2 cheese slope assembly as used on the current passenger train to hide the IR receiver. The IR receiver option might be a legacy feature while they are finalizing the PF2 that will be removed from the artwork, or...?

I haven't seen any of the new pictures from the toy fair yet, but I think you could be on to something here. They may have had to design the models around the old PF kit with wiggle room to move to the new PF components with as few changes as possible.

The thing is though is that Technic builders might need a separate receiver unit. Which makes me think that all "PF 2.0" will be is a new receiver unit.

1 minute ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

The thing is though is that Technic builders might need a separate receiver unit. Which makes me think that all "PF 2.0" will be is a new receiver unit.

...and a new Bluetooth transmitter.  Either LEGO's own, or an app through your smartphone/tablet.   This is the best case scenario.  The battery box and train motor and connectors would all remain the same.

FYI, I contacted TLG customer service yesterday to inquire about the currently "out of stock" 88002 train motors on shop.lego.com.  They said it is "temporarily out of stock", meaning that there is no known date yet for replenishment, but that they will be getting them back in.  The CSR said there is no indication that part 88002 is retiring anytime soon.

1 minute ago, icemorons said:

...and a new Bluetooth transmitter.  Either LEGO's own, or an app through your smartphone/tablet.   This is the best case scenario.  The battery box and train motor and connectors would all remain the same.

FYI, I contacted TLG customer service yesterday to inquire about the currently "out of stock" 88002 train motors on shop.lego.com.  They said it is "temporarily out of stock", meaning that there is no known date yet for replenishment, but that they will be getting them back in.  The CSR said there is no indication that part 88002 is retiring anytime soon.

Hopefully if the plug design changes, Lego will continue to use the current PF motors, just with the new plug design.

2 minutes ago, icemorons said:

The CSR said there is no indication that part 88002 is retiring anytime soon.

I hope not! I have a lot of money invested in this system, so I'm hoping for some kind of backwards compatibility.

1 minute ago, Toxic43 said:

I hope not! I have a lot of money invested in this system, so I'm hoping for some kind of backwards compatibility.

From what I read on (translated) zusammengebaut today, "The trains can also be controlled by tablet or smartphone - Old trains are "convertible", how exactly this is done, but we were not betrayed yesterday."

This makes it seem like there's going to be backwards compatibility, in some manner.   Perhaps, if the connectors do change, TLG will release a new "extension cable" similar to the 8886 / 8871 which incorporated both 9V and PF connectors.

I've posted the source link below.   I had google translate the page to English, so the wording may be somewhat lacking context.  For instance, I interpret "betrayed" as "told".

http://zusammengebaut.com/lego-city-gueterzug-60198-und-passagierzug-60197-mit-power-functions-2-0-43773/

24 minutes ago, icemorons said:

For instance, I interpret "betrayed" as "told".

Yes, German "verraten" can mean "reveal, tell" as well as "betray".

Let's hope they indeed release simple adapter cables (and plugs that allow chaining other plugs to make it possible to connect more than 2 things to the controller), and not just offer a set of new motor and new controller/battery box to swap out the old parts from the old trains...

On 1/29/2018 at 2:38 AM, ColletArrow said:

How do you instruct a younger builder on careful cable management?

Hahaha yes, that was the hardest question to answer-- "What do I do with all this cable?"

Speaking of which, has anyone noticed this circular trend with trains? First there were battery operated trains, then there were rail-powered trains, and now we're back to battery powered trains... by 2025 will we have rail-powered trains again? There's a similar pattern with the electrical connectors for trains-- they started with somewhat large plug-in style connectors, then there were 2x2 plate style connectors, and now with the potential (upgrade?/downgrade?) to the WeDo 2.0 style of connectors, the system's back to the plug-ins...

I get that there's a huge drive in pop-culture these days to rehash/reduce/revive/reuse/rewrite/recycle stuff from the 1980's (or older), simply because the kids who grew up with that stuff are now adults that wanna remember the "good ol' days"... but some trends are better left dead&buried...!

Sorry to rant a bit...

6 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

Speaking of which, has anyone noticed this circular trend with trains? First there were battery operated trains, then there were rail-powered trains, and now we're back to battery powered trains... by 2025 will we have rail-powered trains again?

Sorry to rant a bit...

I think the real reason LEGO went to rail powered is that battery technology was not good enough in the first place.  I am not sure that is true anymore.

No worries about the 'rant' :)

Metal rails are a lot more expensive and complicated to produce. I think there's also an issue around the classification and regulation of toys which include power adaptors etc, as opposed to battery-operated toys.

I don't see Lego ever going back to metal rails.

Actually, I think the Duplo train is the most exciting innovation. I suppose those 'smart bricks' contain some kind of RFID chip. If that is the case, it would be possible to build stuff like block signals or switches based on the train content.

9 minutes ago, DaFokka said:

Actually, I think the Duplo train is the most exciting innovation. I suppose those 'smart bricks' contain some kind of RFID chip. If that is the case, it would be possible to build stuff like block signals or switches based on the train content.

On the other hand, when I first saw it I presumed it would simply be colour detection, similar to the Mindstorms. Why over-complicate a young child's train set? 

Oh, well... I'm a bit confused now. Promobricks is talking about a BT receiver which is integrated in the battery box, while Zusammengebaut.com talks about a receiver being about the same size as the current infrared one. Hopefully we get a statement from a third party, at the moment it's a tie! :laugh:

Edited by Capparezza

At least, the new Powerfunctions 2.0 are a proof that Lego trains are not dead. Otherwise they wouldn't have spent money to develop a new system. Maybe the technic sets will also benefit from it, but battery box and motor are train-specific.

1 hour ago, Capparezza said:

Oh, well... I'm a bit confused now. Promobricks is talking about a BT receiver which is integrated in the battery box, while Zusammengebaut.com talks about a receiver being about the same size as the current infrared one. Hopefully we get a statement from a third party, at the moment it's a tie! :laugh:

Maybe they’re trying to incorporate both systems? Have the BT receiver+battery box for when PF2 comes out in a couple years, and current IR receiver for right now? 

5 hours ago, Toxic43 said:

I haven't seen any of the new pictures from the toy fair yet, but I think you could be on to something here. They may have had to design the models around the old PF kit with wiggle room to move to the new PF components with as few changes as possible.

Check in youtube or in google for the new train set for 2018 and you will see pictures of the new trains :)

4 hours ago, icemorons said:

From what I read on (translated) zusammengebaut today, "The trains can also be controlled by tablet or smartphone - Old trains are "convertible", how exactly this is done, but we were not betrayed yesterday."

This makes it seem like there's going to be backwards compatibility, in some manner.   Perhaps, if the connectors do change, TLG will release a new "extension cable" similar to the 8886 / 8871 which incorporated both 9V and PF connectors.

I've posted the source link below.   I had google translate the page to English, so the wording may be somewhat lacking context.  For instance, I interpret "betrayed" as "told".

Is it possible that the new remote control incorporate IR and bluetooth tech, allowing to be used as a hub to control the old trains?