Sign in to follow this  
LittleJohn

Nocturnus Minichallenge III B: A Tasty Treat

"Inspector Clurog here! Gotta check over your pumpkin pies. Productions standards, ya' know. Everything has to be ship-shape."

Story-2.jpg

"Welcome! I'm Kilos, one of the workers here, and we've been expecting you! You're just the ingre-oomph!"

"Inspector, he was saying; I'm Tozna, head chef of the kitchen. Follow me and I'll show you exactly what we put into our famous pies. Highest quality ingredients, let me assure you! Watch your mouth Kilos, or I'll bat your ears in," Tozna growled below his breath as the inspector moved towards the first shelf.

Story-4.jpg

"And what do you keep in these bottles, eh, daises?" sneered Clurog.

"I should say not! Only the finest quality slime is used in our pies! And we make sure the bottles are spotless before filling them with fresh slime. That jar there contains seeds from our own Venus fly-trap, adds some kick to the pies!"

"So you say, so you say..." Clurog muttered, as he scribbled some notes on his paper.

Story-6.jpg

"What are you doing now, trying to pull the walls in?" queried Clurog as Tozna grabbed a knob embedded in the wall.

Story-8.jpg

"Hahaw! Nothing like an inspector with a sense of humor!" guffawed Tozna, "These are storage drawers. See, swamp flowers from Moruth.
Kilos! Keep an eye on that pie! I'll have no burned crusts around here."

Story-9.jpg

"Well how many drawers do you need? Isn't a roomful a bit much?" protested the inspector as they moved to the corner of the kitchen.

"Those are just for show, no real drawers there. Though we have some potent mushrooms, and carrots here. No Avalonian imports, we maintain a strict Nocturnus grown policy. These also are thoroughly washed before use."

"That seems decidedly un-Nocturnian! A few bugs here and there never hurt anyone, I find them quite tasty myself. You chef's always claim to have the best of the best, but it's the inspector's job to see what's really going on."

"Of course, of course. Well here's a fresh pie now, why don't you check it over for yourself?"

Story-11.jpg

"Yes indeed, I have to say with your obsession for cleanliness, I doubt it will even be edible. And It had better be good, or I'll report this kitchen to the PPA."

As Clurog moved to sample the pie, the whole kitchen crew (except for Kilos that is, who was busy watching another pie) gathered around expectantly.

"Well, it does smell alright," Clurog admitted reluctantly, leaning in to sniff the odorous pie.

Story-12.jpg

And then with a swift gulp, the pie dragged Clurog in!

Story-13.jpg

"AAAAHHH."

Story-14.jpg

"Well boys, good job, this pie passes the test! You can send it out to the Pumkpin Pie Associatin for distribution now, Erus."

"Yes sir, Tozna! One more pie for those ridiculous tree-huggers coming right up!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Built for the Kitchen category of the Pie minichallenge. This build started with the Mixel ball-joint wall design, which I’ve had lying around for a while now. I quite like how it turned out, and will probably be using it more in the future. The working drawers were very fun to make as well.
 Overview-2.jpg

Lots more pictures on brickbuilt.
Thanks for looking, C&C appreciated :classic:

Edited by LittleJohn

Oh wow! That curved wall is amazing! That giant pie is amazing! Your figs are amazing! Your floor design is painstakingly amazing!

Very nice, so many details crammed perfectly into this kitchen! The pumpkins are simple, yet work nicely, as do the large pies, not that I'd try one :look::laugh: The curved walls looks magnificent, so many ball joints though! The large oven and draws look great too, particularly liking the venus fly trap. Amazing entry! :thumbup:

Great work! The story is fun, and the build is lovely! I enjoy the very nice hardwood floor and the drawers. The curved wall, though impressive and pretty, is not my favorite, just because it adds so many distracting details. The alcoves are my favorite part (besides the story) and the half-stud offset tan panels above them are also great. Spectacular job, LJ!

Wow, what a build; where to start? :wink: Lovely furniture/architecture, I love the part with the functional drawers and the ingredient storage next to it, awesome touch with the Orc heads used as some kind of tubers! The floor and the furnace are also fantastic, just as all other smaller details that make this build so lively. I very much like your characters, especially the bear chef! :wub: Great work! :thumbup:

Great entry LJ, lots of really neat techniques - I love the way you did the oven especially with the curve on the floor!  The wall with the ball joints is really creative too, great curve!  Lots of other awesome details like the venus fly trap and the pumpkins, and clever idea for the presentation with the inspector! :thumbup: 

10 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Oh wow! That curved wall is amazing! That giant pie is amazing! Your figs are amazing! Your floor design is painstakingly amazing!

:blush: Thanks a lot, MKJ! Glad you like it so much :sweet:

9 hours ago, Legofin2012 said:

Very nice, so many details crammed perfectly into this kitchen! The pumpkins are simple, yet work nicely, as do the large pies, not that I'd try one :look::laugh: The curved walls looks magnificent, so many ball joints though! The large oven and draws look great too, particularly liking the venus fly trap. Amazing entry! :thumbup:

Thank you, Legofin! It does indeed take a lot of ball joints, though we were fortunate enough to get them off of our PaB wall, so we have quite a few. :classic:

9 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Great work! The story is fun, and the build is lovely! I enjoy the very nice hardwood floor and the drawers. The curved wall, though impressive and pretty, is not my favorite, just because it adds so many distracting details. The alcoves are my favorite part (besides the story) and the half-stud offset tan panels above them are also great. Spectacular job, LJ!

Thanks, Henjin! Writing the story was quite fun :grin: I had a feeling that the curved wall would get mixed reactions, and I can certainly see what you mean. I'll keep it in mind next time I do this type of wall :classic:

8 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Wow, what a build; where to start? :wink: Lovely furniture/architecture, I love the part with the functional drawers and the ingredient storage next to it, awesome touch with the Orc heads used as some kind of tubers! The floor and the furnace are also fantastic, just as all other smaller details that make this build so lively. I very much like your characters, especially the bear chef! :wub: Great work! :thumbup:

Thanks Exetrius! The functional drawers were something I knew I had to include as soon as I started planning the build. Glad you like the figs too, they were actually one of the more challenging parts of the build :laugh:

7 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Great entry LJ, lots of really neat techniques - I love the way you did the oven especially with the curve on the floor!  The wall with the ball joints is really creative too, great curve!  Lots of other awesome details like the venus fly trap and the pumpkins, and clever idea for the presentation with the inspector! :thumbup: 

Thank you, Kai! Glad you noticed the curved stone section in the floor, that was one of my personal favorite parts :classic:

6 hours ago, kahir88 said:

That is an awsome kitchen! I really enjoyed the story too.

Thank you!

6 hours ago, The Maestro said:

Great colours and architecture, those ball joint walls are amazing. Great story as well.

Thanks Maestro! :classic:

I forgot to mention it earlier, but the ball joint walls are actually inspired by Manzanares, a real-life castle in Spain:
29718832943_d07d68aa90_c.jpg

awesome build! The joint pieces look very Nice, and the drawers are top-notch!

Also a great story!

The fireplace may be my favorite area of this lovely build :wub: Details everywhere to admire, and a very amusing storyline to accompany the MOC :pir-laugh:

7 hours ago, ZCerberus said:

Excellent work m'boy!

Thanks a lot, Z! :sweet:

1 hour ago, TitusV said:

awesome build! The joint pieces look very Nice, and the drawers are top-notch!

Also a great story!

Thank you, Titus.

Just now, soccerkid6 said:

The fireplace may be my favorite area of this lovely build :wub: Details everywhere to admire, and a very amusing storyline to accompany the MOC :pir-laugh:

Thanks Isaac! Glad you like how it turned out :classic:

Excellent build, LJ, the ball hinge technique is really neat, and although I think it might be a bit over-textured for some builds, it works pretty well here - but the cabinet and those working drawers are just too cool! :grin:  Very fun story as well, and the venus fly trap and minifigs are great as well, and that floor technique always looks awesome! :thumbup:  Great work with the oven and curve on the floor as Kai mentioned too! 

Brilliant! As others said, the wall is just too cool. I hope we see more of that technique! The whole kitchen is nicely detailed. Fantastic story too, the pie eating the inspector was an unexpected but superb turn of events. That's how you get rid of the red tape!

Hey I did comment about this on Flickr, but I missed it here! And the missing part was the story, which is excellent lol really funny ^^

That is some creative architecture, both the floors and the walls. I'm enjoying all the details in this one, well done LJ!

Excellent work LJ! Clearly the inspector didn't know as much as he should have about the deadly properties of those Nocty pies!

On 10/28/2016 at 1:56 PM, Garmadon said:

Excellent build, LJ, the ball hinge technique is really neat, and although I think it might be a bit over-textured for some builds, it works pretty well here - but the cabinet and those working drawers are just too cool! :grin:  Very fun story as well, and the venus fly trap and minifigs are great as well, and that floor technique always looks awesome! :thumbup:  Great work with the oven and curve on the floor as Kai mentioned too! 

Thank you, Garmadon! Glad you like the working drawers, they were definitely one of my favorite parts. :classic:

On 10/28/2016 at 3:44 PM, MassEditor said:

Brilliant! As others said, the wall is just too cool. I hope we see more of that technique! The whole kitchen is nicely detailed. Fantastic story too, the pie eating the inspector was an unexpected but superb turn of events. That's how you get rid of the red tape!

Thanks ME! I'll definitely e trying this technique more in the future :classic:

On 10/29/2016 at 2:35 PM, en_zoo said:

Hey I did comment about this on Flickr, but I missed it here! And the missing part was the story, which is excellent lol really funny ^^

Thanks en_zoo! Glad you enjoyed it :grin:

On 10/29/2016 at 6:10 PM, Fishsticks03 said:

I like the venus pie trap. Very funny.

Thank you!

On 10/31/2016 at 3:54 PM, Blufiji said:

That is some creative architecture, both the floors and the walls. I'm enjoying all the details in this one, well done LJ!

Thanks Blufiji :classic:

11 hours ago, LordDan said:

Excellent work LJ! Clearly the inspector didn't know as much as he should have about the deadly properties of those Nocty pies!

Haha, indeed! :laugh: