ncx

Fairground Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Ah, this takes me back. In the old days I had the monster fighters Haunted House set up in my room for around a year, at least. To this day its the biggest set I've ever bought. 

Definitely going to start saving for this one!

Just now, DragonKhan said:

Is there anything actually pointing to this being a drop tower?
Personally, I doubt it. A motorized elevator seems much more likely imho.
Also: I really don't see this as a fairground ride. You don't find elaborate buildings like that on fairs (and rarely in amusement parks). And there doesn't seem much of a "ride" here either. It seems to be just a classic walk-through haunted house.
Considering the piece count I do expect lots of details and effect though!

I guess the main thing pointing to it being a drop tower is that it goes a good two or three stories taller than it would need to be for just an elevator. I mean, there are only two levels of actual house in the house, so for an elevator to go that much higher would be wasted space.

Just now, tafkatb said:

I guess the main thing pointing to it being a drop tower is that it goes a good two or three stories taller than it would need to be for just an elevator. I mean, there are only two levels of actual house in the house, so for an elevator to go that much higher would be wasted space.

Or it could just be access to the top room in the tall spire. Which is a common trope with such haunted house mansions (and a highlight of this set). 
I'd just find the inclusion of a drop tower in such rather odd, not that I personally would mind it.

A somewhat clearer back-of-box picture is circulating now - there are lots of Adventurers references, and there might also be some kind of mechanism for opening the front door?

I'm kind of torn on the haunted house. On the one (negative) hand, it seems kinda boring. The other sets in the fairground collection had lots of big, clearly visible movement. So large versions of more dynamic rides like a topspin, swinging ship or the enterprise at Alton towers would be better than a static building. If there is a drop shaft elevator type ride contained within then that helps it a little depending on how well it is executed, but the pictures so far indicate it's a rather small part of the overall set. On the other (positive) hand, the fairground collection as it's now called has very quickly become my second favourite theme (after Technic) and I really like that it's got its own name and that Lego are continuing with it. And while a haunted house might not be the most exciting ride they could have done, it is kinda essential in any complete collection of rides so I guess there had to be one sooner or later. Would have been nice to have more mechanical delights, like a train that goes round a flat track, setting off mechanised jump scares as it goes, but we'll see. Maybe this drop tower thingy has a proper ride feel to it, with a slow rise to the top, then a free fall followed by some way of bringing the riders to a safe and gentle stop. The other sets have good a pretty good job of accurately replicating the mechanisms and motion dynamics of their real life counterparts, so I hope they have done the same here.

Seems like the set is more like non-licensed Tower of Terror than a "fairground" ride. But the roller coaster is also way bigger than what would be at a temporary fair as well, so I don't see that as a criticism at all. "Fairground" is probably a close enough synonym for "amusement park" for these purposes. I'm definitely excited for the idea that this could be a clear sign of a continuing line of sets. Now I just need to Roller Coaster to go on sale so I can justify buying it! ($380 is STEEP)...

32 minutes ago, allanp said:

... it is kinda essential in any complete collection of rides so I guess there had to be one sooner or later. Would have been nice to have more mechanical delights, like a train that goes round a flat track, setting off mechanised jump scares as it goes, but we'll see. ...

I agree that a ghost ride is an essential part of a fairground, but you'll never see such a building on a fairground. So considering that it really isn't all that fitting. To find such an elaborate haunted house, you'd have to look at Disney theme parks.

I was hoping for the classic ghost ride you can find on any fairground. Rickety cars zipping through a short and flat course through a dusty old building with cheap looking jump scares. Essentially like you described. THAT would be so much more fitting. It also probably would've been smaller, cheaper, and probably more fun with a mechanized ride section.

26 minutes ago, autolycus said:

Seems like the set is more like non-licensed Tower of Terror than a "fairground" ride. But the roller coaster is also way bigger than what would be at a temporary fair as well, so I don't see that as a criticism at all. "Fairground" is probably a close enough synonym for "amusement park" for these purposes. ...

There's plenty of large coasters on temporary funfairs. I'm quite confident the Lego coaster is modeled after the 'Schwarzkopf Wildcat', one of the most common models out there (also on US fairs). But there's even larger coasters with several inversions that exist on European funfairs.
But you're right with thinking about this set being inspired by a theme park ride like Tower of Terror. If there is any kind of drop effect in this building, then the Tower of Terror clearly is the inspiration. But even if not, the full mansion clearly points to a theme park attraction.

Edited by DragonKhan

20 minutes ago, DragonKhan said:

If there is any kind of drop effect in this building, than the Tower of Terror clearly is the inspiration.

The inspiration is Ghost - The Haunted House in Legoland Billund.

Just now, legotownlinz said:

The inspiration is Ghost - The Haunted House in Legoland Billund.

And that one has probably been inspired by the Tower of Terror, like several similar theme park drop attractions. :grin:
But you're probably right with that Legoland attraction. That makes a lot of sense. Walkthrough attraction with a very small drop tower with effects in the end. 
I still would've preferred the classic funfair ghost ride though. :laugh:

Pros - it’s a haunted house! Plus, we get the black corner roof pieces back in circulation!!! No more price gouging on BL. It does appear that one of the heads looks like it could be similar to Phantom of the Opera. 

Cons - it’s boring. It’s not really a haunted house. I would’ve MUCH preferred the Haunted Mansion set. Nothing scary beyond the white ghost is LAME!

Depending on price, will probably get to add to my Halloween sets. 

I think they are using the word "fairground" to mean any kind of amusement or theme park, from temporary travelling carnivals to major attractions like Alton towers. Personally I'm glad they seem to be favouring the larger permanent rides over the smaller mobile versions. Take the fairground mixer set for example (which AFAIK isn't considered part of this theme). Being a small mobile carnival ride they had to make that ride fit onto minifig scale trucks, so it's kinda small and pathetic compared to the much more badass version they could have made. They could for sure make such rides, like the travelling carny mixer or a flying carpet ride and so on, and I think they would make a great compliment to the fairground collection, but they should be released as part of the city or regular creator themes (like the fairground mixer and pirate coaster was). That way you can have multiple theme park rides released in a single year and the fairground collection can focus on these large, expert builds. As for this particular haunted house, while I would have preferred a ghost train type ride (like they had at Alton towers before they turned into a laser shooter type thing) who knows, maybe the drop tower will make it worth while. 

Brilliant set.  I'm really looking forward to this.  I build a haunted theme set every Halloween, often alternating between the Monster Fighters House or one of the Scooby sets.  This will make a great change.  I'm still holding out hope for an official Addams Family set though.  I keep hoping one will make it through the Ideas selection process.  I thought maybe this year with the recent animated film, but I'll take this Haunted House as a consolation prize!

I thought this set was a rather boring looking haunted house until I realized that the rooms are essentially the lobby for the main tower. I think naming this set Haunted House was a bad idea because most people won't realize the real intent of the set (the vertical drop aspect).

“ghost”in billund is based on the monster fighters house and characters i read some where this is based off the villain from the adventure series years ago

the ride portion is more like tower of terrors than ghost  

Who would’ve thought this is where that ghost belonged...

This looks great. The only downside I see is where am I going to put this in my town?! I’m already sweating the placement for the next Modular. I guess my only real criticism, and it’s very, very minor, is that it would’ve been nice to get a different color. I love olive green, but pairing it with 10228, it would look better a different color I feel. 

I see it’s supposed to be a June release with VIP this month. If so this will be a nice distraction as I wait for HP in August. 

Wow! At first, blurry images, glance - it's a pretty cool Haunted Mansion / Tower of Terror mash up.

It's not what I was expecting for the Fairground theme at all. But, it looks good. I look forward to drooling over the official images (hopefully soon).

8 hours ago, Agent 86 said:

Wow! At first, blurry images, glance - it's a pretty cool Haunted Mansion / Tower of Terror mash up.

It's not what I was expecting for the Fairground theme at all. But, it looks good. I look forward to drooling over the official images (hopefully soon).

If we're getting pictures of the box my guess is official announcement should come today or tomorrow :D Hope the designer video shows the set in action!!!

Thanks for the information! :classic:

I was so much looking forward to a nice, colorful freefall tower with some nice side builds like a candy stall or a shooting gallery. :cry_sad:

And then this: I'm hugely disappointed by this year's "Fairground" set: an overdimensional haunted house without rollercoaster tracks through it and a completely displaced freefall tower inside. Imo that has absolutely nothing to do with a fairground - at least I don't like it because it doesn't go with all previous fairground sets:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

I've been a huge fan of all previous fairground sets - but this one I for sure won't buy. And I really hope that next year TLG will go back to the good, old fairground sets and give us a nice, happy, colorful and fitting fairground set with some nice side structures!

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Set will be announced on wednesday. It will be the first one with new packaging, which will be used for all future 18+ products.

34 minutes ago, Cwetqo said:

Set will be announced on wednesday. It will be the first one with new packaging, which will be used for all future 18+ products.

Look forward to seeing it properly.

33 minutes ago, Cwetqo said:

Thanks for the update! Great to know, although I'm curious why this (and possible following sets) are more targetted to adults with the 18+ mark instead of the 16+ mark...

Also, here's a German article which already describes some parts of the set, seems pretty close to the official prescription: https://www.promobricks.de/lego-10273-haunted-house-bilder/100451/

3 hours ago, Cwetqo said:

Set will be announced on wednesday.

Oh yes!

3 hours ago, Cwetqo said:

It will be the first one with new packaging, which will be used for all future 18+ products.

Oh no!

100% buy for me!  I'm relieved this theme will be continuing on!  I only wish it was an annual thing.

Well, I was really hoping that the next Disneyland set would be the Haunted Mansion (seemed to be the next logical progression after the Castle and train, HM or the Monorail is probably the most iconic Disney ride), but I would guess they wouldn't release something like this if they also had plans for a Disney version too.  Oh well.  I'll reserve judgement until better pictures come out.