Cale

The PennLUG Roundhouse and Locomotive Service Terminal

The PennLUG Roundhouse and Locomotive Service Terminal

​A collaborative build by Cale Leiphart, Nate Brill, and Glenn Holland

I haven't unveiled many finished models of late. I have been building though, I've been building big. 2014 was all about me finishing my Red Lion project. But 2015 brought an equally large and ambitious project. One I have have been dreaming of for years. Unlike Red Lion though this was no solo adventure. This was a collaborative build for my club, PennLUG. Specifically three of us train builders in the club, Nate Brill, Glenn Holland and myself. I present to you the PennLUG Roundhouse and Locomotive Service Terminal.

This was a really fun build, and fills a big hole in our rail yard. It's not just a stunning backdrop to view our locomotives against, but is packed with little details that bring the whole area to life. Countless long hours, an untold amount of parts, and a lot of love has gone into this project. This has been a very special project for us. It's a tribute to our love of trains, and LEGO, as well as monument to our insanity.

24080142654_126ffc95f0_c.jpgIMG_9846 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

24614792291_6b2e6308eb_c.jpgIMG_9850 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

Oh yeah. We also lit the roundhouse up.

24412862210_e563fb2911_c.jpgIMG_9561 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

24081487753_0dc87d9ea5_c.jpgIMG_9751 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

It also has a full interior.

24708258265_5daf2a426d_c.jpgIMG_9973 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

24614741631_0fa29e1198_c.jpgIMG_9980 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

With a few cool effects.

24081397323_2bb8f0f897_b.jpgMVI_9744_1 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

But wait, there's more. We have a full engine service terminal.

24590480782_80810e564e_c.jpgIMG_9893 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

Also lighted.

24614880051_f5151dc832_c.jpgIMG_9564 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

It's taken me a while to upload photos of this. There were a lot of photos to go through and I get really picky over details so it took me some time to get just the right ones sorted out and edited. It was one of the most fun and challenging projects I've been a part of. I was a joy collaborating with my friends, fellow LEGO train builders and fellow club members, Nate Brill and Glenn Holland to create this part of our layout.

24081498263_188d8a31b1_c.jpgIMG_9717 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

There are far too many details to capture here in the photos I've shown. I'll be working on photographing more in the future. I hope you enjoy seeing this project. And as always I'm happy to here your comments and answer any questions.

The full gallery can be found here. PennLUG Roundhouse

There are a lot of photos here in this set. With something this big there is a lot to cover and a lot of small details to capture. I hope you take the time to view them and get the full scope of this creation.

Cale

Wow. Just amazing. Spectacular prototypical appearance. The engine servicing yard looks like something straight out of a model railroading magazine. Wow, just wow.

Awesome!! So many details inside like the stairs and hoses. This must be one of the most eye catching things at a LEGO train show.

I love how you were able to capture so perfectly the stairs that go under the locomotive for maintenance simply brilliant!

Wow!

-RailCo

Truly amazing! I enjoyed seeing this in person at Brickworld Chicago last year. Definitely inspirational!

Thank you all for the kind words. I has been awesome sharing this with fellow train builders.

Cale

This is even better than some of the ho scale layout. In fact someone from my train club said that's not Lego they have to be using something other than Lego. That was until I showed the the ground.

That's just amazing and inspiring. I'd love to build a roundhouse and something of a service yard, but not to this massive scale. It just looks amazing :). The only bad thing about it is that it is in the USA so I can't go see it in person ;)

The jaw has impacted the floor! Holy cow, that's a heck of a setup. Even the roundhouse alone with turntable for a Daylight is impressive, but adding everything else, over the top! Great work gents!

Fantastic layout, buildings and trains!

And with the lighting it looks amazing. Liked that welder inside the round house.

Thanks for sharing!

This is even better than some of the ho scale layout. In fact someone from my train club said that's not Lego they have to be using something other than Lego. That was until I showed the the ground.

We hear that a lot at shows.

The jaw has impacted the floor! Holy cow, that's a heck of a setup. Even the roundhouse alone with turntable for a Daylight is impressive, but adding everything else, over the top! Great work gents!

The SP Daylight that was parked on the turntable was from Anthony Sava.

8018381223_89f22bd511_n.jpgSP4449_05 by Tony Sava, on Flickr

Fantastic layout, buildings and trains!

And with the lighting it looks amazing. Liked that welder inside the round house.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks. The welder was must have for us. We wanted to portray this as more than just a pretty place to park engines. That it was a lively place where locomotives were maintained and repaired daily.

The lighting is very good, few lights but they arrange very well.

Wonderful.

Thanks. Getting the lighting right for the 1940's era we were building to was key for us.

Cale

Amazing collaboration. :thumbup: Which shows/events will be it at this year for people wishing to see it IRL?

Wonderful creation, can easily spend all day staring at the details. :wub: Congratulations on the masterpiece, hope you win many accolades and definetly the best large building at show as far as I can see. The coal delivery depot is also amazing and the most thought out lighting all round.

What track pieces did you use for inside the roundhouse? They are a lighter grey and must be single length pieces to allow for the pits.