Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

On 5/1/2022 at 11:30 PM, durazno33 said:

Jay Bricks posted an article about some new build a minifigure options that came out today. A new castle torso reusing the "black falcons" chrest as maybe the "white falcons"?

https://jaysbrickblog.com/news/are-lego-introducing-a-new-castle-faction-the-white-falcons/

LEGO-Build-a-Minifigure-Knights-and-Pira

Where can I buy that? What's the set number?

10 minutes ago, Captain_SoyBeard said:

Where can I buy that? What's the set number?

It isn't a set. It is made from parts from Build A Minifigure. 

Just was going through the new part listings on Brickset from this month's new sets, and a few parts caught my eye that I'd previously overlooked in previous pics/reviews (or just hadn't thought about in a historic context until now)!

• The 1x1 plate with three leaves is now available in Olive Green, thanks to the I am Groot set! Hopefully we'll see it in more sets before too long.
  • The 2x2 dripping slime/cake frosting plate now comes in Dark Green (classic green), which could be great for mossy rocks, tree stumps, or columns!
  • This 4x4x1 dome piece now appears in Medium Stone Grey (light bluish gray), which could perhaps look nice as capitals or pediments for a column, as a base for a statue, or as part of a decorative stone fountain.

Also, a new Disney Princess castle set (43205 Ultimate Adventure Castle) was just recently unveiled. Probably not of too much interest to most folks in this thread as-is due to the whimsical colors and use of mini-dolls, but it does have more neutral grey parts than a lot of other Disney Princess sets. I'm a bit busy at the moment and want to try and wrap up this post, so for now I'll leave it to y'all to pore over the details and see if there are any particular pieces of interest for historic builds!

On 6/1/2022 at 11:17 AM, Captain_SoyBeard said:

Is that only available in store? Or can I order online?

They are from Lego Store, yes. You may look up in eBay or Bricklink.  Or the best way is to call your local LEGO Store to check to see if these minifigures are available before you go. 

10 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

They are from Lego Store, yes. You may look up in eBay or Bricklink.  Or the best way is to call your local LEGO Store to check to see if these minifigures are available before you go. 

We don't have any "local LEGO stores" in Sweden, I think there's one in the entire country :c

34 minutes ago, Frike said:

We don't have any "local LEGO stores" in Sweden, I think there's one in the entire country :c

Oh darn it. :/

2 hours ago, Frike said:

Yeah, it’s unfortunate. I really wish they didn’t have exclusives that were tied to geographic locations. It cuts a lot of people off from being able to obtain those products. 

I wish, I wish... we had a "traditional" lineup with smaller sets at affordable prices so children could buy some of them with their pocket money.

Average customers have practically 0 possibilities to buy some castle parts. I am fortunate enough to have a Lego store just some hours drive from home, but all the new white falcons parts were sold out within hours; and it's not certain they'll get new ones. :sceptic: 

10 hours ago, Frike said:

It is 2 in Stockholm I believe and that is a lot better then 0 as we have in Norway :tongue:

8 hours ago, brimbolet said:

I wish, I wish... we had a "traditional" lineup with smaller sets at affordable prices so children could buy some of them with their pocket money.

Average customers have practically 0 possibilities to buy some castle parts. I am fortunate enough to have a Lego store just some hours drive from home, but all the new white falcons parts were sold out within hours; and it's not certain they'll get new ones. :sceptic: 

This has become an increasingly common sentiment as "one-off" sets that are more expensive than a regular theme's flagship set have become the norm. Coupled with the upcoming price increases, it seems that Lego is bent on shooting itself in the foot.

5 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

Coupled with the upcoming price increases, it seems that Lego is bent on shooting itself in the foot.

I wonder if that will really be the case. Seems to me that the average (grand-) parent doesn't even care to check prices for better offers.

7 hours ago, brimbolet said:

I wonder if that will really be the case. Seems to me that the average (grand-) parent doesn't even care to check prices for better offers.

Agreed! Current inflation might make people spend less though. In the end lego will make a larger profit though as they no longer need to absorb rising costs even if they produce/sell less. Time will tell! 

Is there a list of suitable medieval civilian parts anywhere?

Edited by General Magma

I bought set 60331 stuntz cruiser-bike yesterday. The biker has the wolfpack logo on the back of his torso.

Gray armored knight with gold visor reported to be in CMF series 23. Hope that means the visor mold is back! My wallet hurts trying to equip my men-at-arms and knights

Would rather have another colour than gold, however if we're getting the visor back that would certainly be nice, hopefully in more colours though. I want more pearl dark gray ones... 

On 6/11/2022 at 3:27 PM, The Reader said:

I bought set 60331 stuntz cruiser-bike yesterday. The biker has the wolfpack logo on the back of his torso.

It's not quite identical to the Wolfpack logo (more geometric/stylized). But you're right that if you used a beard or other such piece to cover up the modern "bling" in the front, it'd probably work okay for a Wolfpack character — especially since the vest fastens with buttons rather than a zipper. I honestly wouldn't have considered that possibility if you hadn't pointed it out.

Honestly, it's kinda funny to look back and realize how odd the Wolfpack characters' torsos are from a historical standpoint. Sure, the dingy brown color felt appropriate for a lowly gang of medieval highwaymen, but the escutcheon plastered on the front kind of feels more like a graphic t-shirt or superhero emblem than any sort of medieval peasant garb! I guess Castle torsos with an escutcheon printed in the center like that tend to work better for armored knight/soldier characters, since in that context they can be more clearly understood as a decorative tabard/surcoat or breastplate rather than just a shirt with a logo on it. :tongue:

For my part, I wouldn't mind one bit if we got some more specific Wolfpack-inspired sets and figures in the future. I didn't have a lot of Wolfpack stuff as a kid (I doubt many of us did, since there weren't really many Wolfpack sets/figures to begin with), but I did have a few Wolfpack figures from Dragon Masters sets, which were my first Castle sets. And I have to admit, even as a kid I definitely appreciated their shady, unkempt troublemaker vibes.

On 6/7/2022 at 12:17 PM, General Magma said:

Is there a list of suitable medieval civilian parts anywhere?

Not that I know of. Would be a good resource. Though would just result in all those pieces going up in price!

On 6/13/2022 at 9:27 PM, Aanchir said:

It's not quite identical to the Wolfpack logo (more geometric/stylized). But you're right that if you used a beard or other such piece to cover up the modern "bling" in the front, it'd probably work okay for a Wolfpack character — especially since the vest fastens with buttons rather than a zipper. I honestly wouldn't have considered that possibility if you hadn't pointed it out.

Honestly, it's kinda funny to look back and realize how odd the Wolfpack characters' torsos are from a historical standpoint. Sure, the dingy brown color felt appropriate for a lowly gang of medieval highwaymen, but the escutcheon plastered on the front kind of feels more like a graphic t-shirt or superhero emblem than any sort of medieval peasant garb! I guess Castle torsos with an escutcheon printed in the center like that tend to work better for armored knight/soldier characters, since in that context they can be more clearly understood as a decorative tabard/surcoat or breastplate rather than just a shirt with a logo on it. :tongue:

For my part, I wouldn't mind one bit if we got some more specific Wolfpack-inspired sets and figures in the future. I didn't have a lot of Wolfpack stuff as a kid (I doubt many of us did, since there weren't really many Wolfpack sets/figures to begin with), but I did have a few Wolfpack figures from Dragon Masters sets, which were my first Castle sets. And I have to admit, even as a kid I definitely appreciated their shady, unkempt troublemaker vibes.

Yes, you are right. These are some good thoughts. I gave it a try and built a modern Wolfpack minifig today by using the biker's torso. I turned the back to front. (To improve it, I would remove the print on the [now] back and the print below the wolf's head with an eraser.) What do you think?

0_Wolfpack

Edited by The Reader

On 6/13/2022 at 10:31 PM, Rjbricks said:

Not that I know of. Would be a good resource. Though would just result in all those pieces going up in price!

Some of the Star Wars torsos would work.

53 minutes ago, The Reader said:

Yes, you are right. These are some good thoughts. I gave it a try and built a modern Wolfpack minifig today by using the biker's torso. I turned the back to front. (To improve it, I would remove the print on the [now] back and the print below the wolf's head with an eraser.) What do you think?

If you used DBG legs, the print would look fine. Stick on a cloak and the back print also disappears. 

On 6/1/2022 at 5:02 PM, MAB said:

It isn't a set. It is made from parts from Build A Minifigure. 

Are they catalogued anywhere? Can I find them on Bricklink?

The Viking helmet from CMF series 20 appears as a recolour in gun metal grey in the upcoming Sanctum Sanctorum set (can be seen in the promo images on the upper most floor as one of the decorations of various magical artifacts). The Lion Knight's castle also features a new 1x4x3 arch piece in LBG and finally dark green leaf pieces

57 minutes ago, Metanoios said:

The Viking helmet from CMF series 20 appears as a recolour in gun metal grey in the upcoming Sanctum Sanctorum set (can be seen in the promo images on the upper most floor as one of the decorations of various magical artifacts). The Lion Knight's castle also features a new 1x4x3 arch piece in LBG and finally dark green leaf pieces

Sweet! Hopefully those pieces will appear in Bricks & Pieces... Pick-a-Brick?... whatever the new system is called. However, the new system has been extremely disappointing so far.