BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

4 hours ago, Lord Insanity said:

Elves ran for 4 years.  Compared to most once and done themes that is a really good run.

If this rumor is accurate and the sets are even half as good as Elves, it will be a fantastic source of parts for building things.  Of course no mini-figs means unless you don't mind using mini-dolls as a fantasy race of non-human "elves" there will be no actual "people".  I would prefer a quality mini-fig based theme but I will accept a good source of parts if one is to be had.

If that dragon is as good as 41179 Queen Dragon's Rescue, I'm sold on that for sure.

41179-1.jpg?201605201119

oh... thought it was only 2 years. Mb.

13 hours ago, Lord Insanity said:

Elves ran for 4 years.  Compared to most once and done themes that is a really good run.

If this rumor is accurate and the sets are even half as good as Elves, it will be a fantastic source of parts for building things.  Of course no mini-figs means unless you don't mind using mini-dolls as a fantasy race of non-human "elves" there will be no actual "people".  I would prefer a quality mini-fig based theme but I will accept a good source of parts if one is to be had.

If that dragon is as good as 41179 Queen Dragon's Rescue, I'm sold on that for sure.

41179-1.jpg?201605201119

My initial reaction was joy for new castle then incredible disappointment with it being mini dolls.  But you’re right, if those line is half as good as Elves then we’ll be getting some amazing parts.  However, the last few lines of Friends sets have been very good with amazing detail.  Here’s hoping it has the same level of useful stuff for us castle/medieval/fantasy fans.

On 12/15/2021 at 10:10 PM, Aquilatan said:

I've no clue why LEGO has exterminated the classic castle for such a long time. But I think instead of just hoping on a re-launch, we can actively take some influence by supporting castle projects on LEGO IDEAS. Even if LEGO does not produce themself a new castle it has still a chance over the BrickLink crowdfunding as it was the case for the "Castle in the forest". And it seemed that this has a very big fan community because it was sold out within very short time...

So I will encourage every castle fan to register on LEGO IDEAS and support all the nice looking castles to give LEGO a hint that castles have a big fan community, and the chances of castle set will be increased.

- Long live the classic castle -

That's what I do, I support almost all Castle and Pirate projects (can't really do this for the bad ones) that are submitted to LEGO Ideas.

Unfortunately Mr No admitted to lying about all of the "information" he shared, so this has been a total time waste for us all.

47 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Unfortunately Mr No admitted to lying about all of the "information" he shared, so this has been a total time waste for us all.

Just saw that on IG thanks for the heads up.  Apparently some people have nothing better to do with their time.  And he was the one leaking about Zelda also.  

Edited by zoth33

Honestly I'm quite relieved it's fake! I thought this theme would prevent the 90th anniversary set from being castle focused.

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

Won't help with his Ideas project, Lego doesn't like leakers and Afols don't like being tricked.

3 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

what an idiot! lmao

Remember folks, never, ever post unsubstantiated rumors from a store manager regarding a new Castle theme, especially right after you've joined the forum! 

Spoiler

:innocent:

Weird you'd spend time in this community,  making over 500 posts, only to give false info and request to be banned 🙄

36 minutes ago, Shroffy123 said:

Weird you'd spend time in this community,  making over 500 posts, only to give false info and request to be banned 🙄

Mental illness is a serious issue. This is just one of many examples of why the USA needs healthcare for all.

Anyways I really hope minidolls are used for something other than Friends again. I'm hoping for a space theme.

It made very little sense anyway. Yes Elves was something the core minidoll-buyers liked (as well as a lot of afols), but a Castle minidoll theme is that something young girls like?! Apparently not even young boys like it enough since Lego has not made it in almost 10 years :sceptic: In addition why call it knights when it is females, maidens, valkyries, amazons etc would have made more sense :def_shrug:

The biggest issue I have with minidolls is the limited range of poses they have. The original idea behind them was to finally break into the doll-buying market, which Lego had struggled to do for decades. They are basically a Lego version of Polly Pocket. Because of this the minidoll themes are unlikely to not be skewed towards the stereotypical girl aesthetic, and play concept. That's also why you get more everyday household design elements in their sets. A medieval minidolls theme would likely have satisfied some builders' desire for more civilian set designs, so that maybe in the future they could get reused in a minifig line, like what happens between Friends and City from time to time. Not probable, though, because the current thinking is that the established play concepts don't overlap as much, which is part of Lego's determination on what will succeed in any given theme.

2 hours ago, gedren_y said:

The biggest issue I have with minidolls is the limited range of poses they have. The original idea behind them was to finally break into the doll-buying market, which Lego had struggled to do for decades. They are basically a Lego version of Polly Pocket. Because of this the minidoll themes are unlikely to not be skewed towards the stereotypical girl aesthetic, and play concept. That's also why you get more everyday household design elements in their sets. A medieval minidolls theme would likely have satisfied some builders' desire for more civilian set designs, so that maybe in the future they could get reused in a minifig line, like what happens between Friends and City from time to time. Not probable, though, because the current thinking is that the established play concepts don't overlap as much, which is part of Lego's determination on what will succeed in any given theme.

It is weird that when making a substitute for minifigs targeting the girls demographic Lego kinda made the same mistake as the original minifigures: their legs.

When I look at a lot of my daughter's dolls, they have hip articulation and can move legs independently but aside from that, they don't have much articulation at the knee. Of course minidolls don't have independent moving legs but aside from that they are quite similar to dolls x10 the size in terms of posability. Plus they stand up a lot easier than some dolls. 

12 hours ago, Roebuck said:

It made very little sense anyway. Yes Elves was something the core minidoll-buyers liked (as well as a lot of afols), but a Castle minidoll theme is that something young girls like?! Apparently not even young boys like it enough since Lego has not made it in almost 10 years :sceptic: In addition why call it knights when it is females, maidens, valkyries, amazons etc would have made more sense :def_shrug:

Nothing wrong with female knights! I mean, "folk heroines" like Joan of Arc, Joanna of Flanders, and Brunhild have been popular for centuries. And even if female knights were rare in real-life medieval history, there's no reason that has to be the case in a fictional setting.

I also don't think the hiatus since the last traditional Castle theme can really be taken as a sign that boys no longer like that stuff. But there are plenty of other things that boys enjoy just as much, and even a lot of the boys who like castles, dragons, knights, wizards, etc. can still enjoy that same stuff outside of a conventional medieval context.

Honestly, before yesterday it had been a few days since I'd checked Eurobricks, so it was a huge bummer to see the rumor of a new theme that appeal to me in a lot of the same ways that LEGO Elves did, only to immediately see in the replies that it was a totally unfounded hoax. Even if there wasn't really enough evidence for any of those claims to really get my hopes up, it's certainly the sort of news that I would've liked to hear for real.

I do hope we will get another fun action/adventure theme with mini-dolls before too long, though in my case, I'm not so concerned with whether it'd be medieval-inspired or not.

Minidolls look so weird on horses, even the ones made for them,  I know the reason minidoll horses do have the 2x2 gap as 1x2 won't fit feet or a dress, but due to their longer, thinner legs it looks weird compared to a minifig in the same standing up pose.

That said, the minidoll horses have improved designs over the years, especially recently, a lot more colors , prints and dual moulds, and the addition of a moveable head in 2021.

The price of those minidoll horses is crazy however, on the new Pick a Brick , over €12 and that's without the back brick or saddle.

Edited by TeriXeri

If they did a castle like theme in minidolls, I'd hope it would be fantasy based. Some of the Elves sets were pretty much there. Interesting shaped and more fantasy colour schemes  for castles and towers, fantasy creatures, and so on. For kids, and especially younger girls, they are more interesting than square grey castles. The organic looking spiky castles of Elves were fantastic.

But it may be an issue with how many Disney Princess castles and towers there are these days. All the princesses seem to have some sort of castle in LEGO at the moment and the key audience for both Disney and "new Elves" could well overlap.

I read this from three pages back...  Whew... I feel like I dodged a bullet there.  And yet, it seemed to make so little sense to me?  Why offer castle and knights as minidolls?  If anything, I think that the historic themes have a larger percentage of AFOLs vs child fans than most themes outside of Star Wars.  AFOLs are mostly married to minifigs, by tradition, and since many have decent sized collections of them.  

Even though a minidoll knight theme might appeal to some (your opinions and wants are valid), I don't think a theme like this would capture young boys, or girls, or TFOLs, or AFOLs.  I think it would have been an epic failure for TLG.  The repercussions of which would have echoed in the castle community for a long time to come.  As it is now (as specified in interviews), we are likely only getting a set or two every 3 years with Ideas or Creator sets.  

Sadly, I will wait here for a castle ideas/creator set in 2024 or for TLG to come to its senses and give us a real Castle theme again.  

I am not one of those who wants a licensed castle theme.  Even though I would buy it.  I don't want fleshies or factions that are from any licensed story.  I would prefer some generic factions and hopefully some fantasy elements to help it to sell with the kids.  Hard to believe the Crownie's brought me out of my dark age 15 years ago now.  AND yet, I have not had any castle sets to buy for 8+ years. The fantasy era and Kingdoms were just fantastic themes.  I am hoping for a return of them some day.  Since I re-engaged with LEGO, there have now been more years with no Castle than with it...  I wonder if I am going to slip into another dark age?

In the meantime, my savings account swells waiting for the day...

4 hours ago, DaleDVM said:

I read this from three pages back...  Whew... I feel like I dodged a bullet there.  And yet, it seemed to make so little sense to me?  Why offer castle and knights as minidolls?  If anything, I think that the historic themes have a larger percentage of AFOLs vs child fans than most themes outside of Star Wars.  AFOLs are mostly married to minifigs, by tradition, and since many have decent sized collections of them.  

Even though a minidoll knight theme might appeal to some (your opinions and wants are valid), I don't think a theme like this would capture young boys, or girls, or TFOLs, or AFOLs.  I think it would have been an epic failure for TLG.  The repercussions of which would have echoed in the castle community for a long time to come.  As it is now (as specified in interviews), we are likely only getting a set or two every 3 years with Ideas or Creator sets.  

Sadly, I will wait here for a castle ideas/creator set in 2024 or for TLG to come to its senses and give us a real Castle theme again.  

I am not one of those who wants a licensed castle theme at all.  Even though I would buy it.  I don't want fleshies or factions that are from any licensed story.  I would prefer some generic factions and hopefully some fantasy elements to help it to sell with the kids.  Hard to believe the Crownie's brought me out of my dark age 15 years ago now.  AND yet, I have not had any castle sets to buy for 8+ years. The fantasy era and Kingdoms were just fantastic themes.  I am hoping for a return of them some day.  Since I re-engaged with LEGO, there have now been more years with no Castle than with it...  I wonder if I am going to slip into another dark age?

I find solace in the Medieval Blacksmith

7 hours ago, DaleDVM said:

If nothing else, there is a lot of useful animals released this year you could use money on :wink:

On 2/15/2022 at 11:31 PM, DaleDVM said:

Elves wasn't an epic failure, yet that had fantasy castles, fantasy creatures, dragons, and of course elves. Similar to some castle themes. I don't think there are any repercussions in the castle community now because of Elves. And I don't think any similar minidoll based theme would have repercussions on the castle community. If the builds were exactly the same, I doubt that many kids would care either way if the figures were minidolls or minifigures. If there was a choice between no castle at all, and castle done with minidolls, I'd go with the minidolls.

On 2/15/2022 at 11:31 PM, DaleDVM said:

I am not one of those who wants a licensed castle theme at all.  Even though I would buy it.  I don't want fleshies or factions that are from any licensed story.  I would prefer some generic factions and hopefully some fantasy elements to help it to sell with the kids. 

We have never had a licensed castle theme and I doubt we ever will. If it is a license, the theme will be the license and not castle. Of course, there are licensed themes with castle like builds or actual castles in them (LOTR, HP, Disney) but these are not Castle, and don't see to have an effect on whether we get castles in in-house themes. We already saw in 2013 we had LOTR+Hobbit coexisting with Castle. And again here, I'd prefer to see a licensed theme with castle type builds in it, than no castle like builds at all.

2 hours ago, MAB said:

Elves wasn't an epic failure, yet that had fantasy castles, fantasy creatures, dragons, and of course elves. Similar to some castle themes. I don't think there are any repercussions in the castle community now because of Elves. And I don't think any similar minidoll based theme would have repercussions on the castle community. If the builds were exactly the same, I doubt that many kids would care either way if the figures were minidolls or minifigures. If there was a choice between no castle at all, and castle done with minidolls, I'd go with the minidolls.

We have never had a licensed castle theme and I doubt we ever will. If it is a license, the theme will be the license and not castle. Of course, there are licensed themes with castle like builds or actual castles in them (LOTR, HP, Disney) but these are not Castle, and don't see to have an effect on whether we get castles in in-house themes. We already saw in 2013 we had LOTR+Hobbit coexisting with Castle. And again here, I'd prefer to see a licensed theme with castle type builds in it, than no castle like builds at all.

licensed themes also have a higher chance to feature civilian torsos. which I am lacking...