Sign in to follow this  
Robert8

What's your job's medieval equivalent?

I'm a teacher of Latin at a school that already existed in the fourteenth century, so there is no reason I would have a different job in the middle ages than I have now. Same job, same institution, same town.

LMcart.jpg

Medieval: Cartographer probably

Modern: Geoscientist/ Geographer/ Field Assistant/ student for more than 80% of my life

Dream medieval & modern occupation: Renaissance [wo]man

Oh well I class myself as a Geoscientist... But I was thinking I would be a scholar of some kind since I have yet to leave university behind and then maybe after a few hundred years or so I would upgrade to explorer...

I work in software... So I suppose I would be classed as a magician.

or you would make clothes only using silk (soft wear)

Nagh, i dont make the software... I just make shit that dont work work... Like scotty in star trek, i am a miracle worker.

I work in software... So I suppose I would be classed as a magician.

Magician if you worked on the software than ran the VW TDi engine that magically pass emission testing. :classic:

Well, Im working on my PhD in International Relations IRL, so I guess I would be some kind of scholar at an early university.

Great topic!

Using the list posted earlier, I found the title Master of Revels, which is probably the closest. The Master of Revels was an official in charge of court entertainment, and later of the theaters. While I'm not involved in government, nor am I an official, my job is closely related.

I work in television, making sure that the flow of entertainment is continuous.

LMcart.jpg

Medieval: Cartographer probably

Modern: Geoscientist/ Geographer/ Field Assistant/ student for more than 80% of my life

Hello fellow Geographer!

For me I wouldn't say "probably"...I am a Cartographer.

I'd be part of a traveling troupe; I'm in the film/television industry.

I'm retired, so I guess I would just be a nobleman or count or someone else who doesn't have to work.

Andy D

Wait a minute, since we all like to build with lego i guess we were all bricklayers back then.

Wait a minute, since we all like to build with lego i guess we were all bricklayers back then.

That's a hobby, not a job. :classic:

I wood be a carpenter. Building things out of wood has been my lifelong passion. So, in medieval times, or in any time (or place) for that matter, I wood probably build wooden things for a living, from toys to houses to everything in between.

Mine is basically the same now and then - librarian and tutor combined. Probably wouldn't have had quite so many books to look after but they would have been a lot more valuable each!

Well I was a dietitian at one point and I am a gourmet cook (self-taught) so for me it would be Inn Keeper in a small sea side village.

I used to be a plasterer so id be making buildings interiors smoother with cow poo, but now i fix helicopters... Guess id be a horse and cart repairer :s

Oh no, not even close.

I work in an inner city high school in NY. (Not New York City)

A lot of these teenagers wouldn't be able to pass third grade in the suburbs, and half of them can't write their own names in bubble letters. They spend more time trying to throw stuff at each other than they ever do trying to draw or paint. I spend more time breaking up fights and babysitting than I do teaching the other few kids who could learn something from me.

So, to stay in tune with this topic, I think I was mistaken. I guess in the Middle Ages I'd be unemployed because I don't think they had a welfare system back then to keep people like this alive.

That is such a shame... It must be like having the life sucked out of you each day bit by bit :( just make sure those with potential do get their fair share because those are the people that make it worth it :(

I work as a home inspector for the big banks and do all the foreclosure work.

So this would be my job exactly:

I'd be a lawyer:

200px-Quentin_Massys_-_Portrait_of_a_Man_-_National_Gallery_of_Scotland.jpg

I'm retired, so I guess I would just be a nobleman or count or someone else who doesn't have to work.

Or dead… :wink:

Steve