Ondra

Technic 2016 Discussion and Speculation

Drag racer: I built one around last May belonging to 2006 Creator set (4896) as model B (or C, the set actually had 3 models and 3 other models without instructions). I customized some of its looks and added a pull back motor to it to race it next to 42033 (42033 IMHO is cooler than all of these new pics). I made a video of that but forgot to upload it. Here is a random link:

Edited by Samer

The small sets will be a big hit with their target audience - both my 8 year old son and 10 year old daughter are loving them - but for me, meh - waiting for the flagship and limited edition (if true).

The small sets will be a big hit with their target audience

Exactly.

And besides, speaking for myself, these small sets tend to creep up to you (as an AFOL) and before you know it, there are sitting on your desk as a parts pack or as MOC inspiration.

New parts: New panels in yellow.

New colors: Hero Factory container in red

Construction details: Given that this small model still uses the new 60z turntable, it looks like Lego is going to discontinue them. On the other hand, it means that the new turntable will be far cheaper to buy. This set is, no matter how it is sliced, weird. I have never seen a loader like this with a grabber, yet it has one. The grabber arm too raises more questions. Having it be manually operated in a set like this with little else going on would be a waste, and luckily I don't think that's the case. All of the pins in the arm are frictionless, which would be a massive design flaw in a manually operated feature, as the arm would just flop down if raised. But, there is no other mechanism readily apparent, nor a knob to operate it visible on the vehicle. Further, there is a sticker on one part of the arm, which could indicate that it is used to position the arm. My thought is that there is actually a mini Linear Actuator somewhere in the front, but not visible in this picture, and that lifts the arm.

B model: Articulated, 4 wheel vehicle with a grab? The b model is likely a log skidder.

Zblj actually build it in a way that makes sense and nailed the functions pretty spot on, sure the knob for the grabler opening/closing could be at one side of the turn table, but theres no actuator for raise/lowering the grabler - just a self locking mechanism... check this out: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=115745

Exactly.

And besides, speaking for myself, these small sets tend to creep up to you (as an AFOL) and before you know it, there are sitting on your desk as a parts pack or as MOC inspiration.

cannot agree with you more on this, my 2,8 year son just loves them (by the way his perferable set to play with is 8862, 8868 and 42037) especially the future 42049 :) :)

This small sets are also interesting for AFOLs... I buy for Ex. the police car because of 6 white micro panels etc...

I like also lime rims etc...

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

Exactly.

True!

I bought the tracked loader as a "parts pack" a few months back, and even though it got taken apart relatively quickly, i did enjoy the build a lot, and it was a very nice little vehicle with interesting (if a bit basic) functionality. Sure, its not a project like a big le-mans/F1 car, but they often have interesting parts, and the builds themselves can be surprising despite their size.

Besides, the pull-back racers tend to absolutely brilliant for getting lots of panels in interesting colors

Hey guys, which sets haven't you seen yet? One was the helicopter right?

The display jet plane, dragster, rescue vehicle and the helicopter!

sounds like you have the remaining images. pls share. thanks

I have seen the heli but most people have not. I have not seen the dragster, rescue vehicle or jet plane. Would love to see them.

Edited by allanp

I have seen the heli but most people have not. I have not seen the dragster, rescue vehicle or jet plane. Would love to see them.

are you talking about unwatermarked images?

Nothing that could be shared on here.

something that could be shared via PM? (awaiting a pm from you. thanks)

Please don't make a post like this. If you have something which can be shared, share it. If not, don't comment. This results in people begging for images.

something that could be shared via PM? (awaiting a pm from you. thanks)

Stop begging for images. I warned you once before.

Am I lonely in not liking any of these pictures? :-(

And where are the big 1H sets?

Isn't that Mining Loader big? I thought those were Unimog wheels on it?

Regarding the mining loader, I find it kind of odd that a presumably $50 set, or even a $35 set if it is around 350 parts would have no mechanism for moving the arm aside from a manual lever right on the arm. If that is the case, I find that to be bullpucky. What's more, it does not appear that the claw can tilt, whereas a real loader would have the ability to tilt whatever attachment it had. Excuse me for sounding grumpy, but I think that it's Lego being lazy like 42037. If you're going to make something up, make something up, and don't call a sand rail a formula off roader. I don't understand why they could not make it with a bucket like, I dunno, an actual mining loader, or call it a waste handler or something like that, but no, they have to call a fish a fowl. I have to wonder if the sets are named by the marketing team, who might not be familiar with what vehicles the sets represent, especially for something like this.

Isn't that Mining Loader big? I thought those were Unimog wheels on it?

Despite the wheels, it looks mid-size set to me, somewhere between 500 - 600 pieces. Close to 42037 or 42040.There would be some 2 bigger sets. Last year it was 42038/39. For the smaller size, I also disagree with many that the new pictures are cooler than last year. In 2015 I liked very much the 42033 and 42036; very neat designs and my son (9) wanted them badly. I actually bought 3 42036. I'm kind of frustrated with the new pictures. I hope the majority's positive opinions posted here would change my mind?

If you're going to make something up, make something up, and don't call a sand rail a formula off roader. I don't understand why they could not make it with a bucket like, I dunno, an actual mining loader, or call it a waste handler or something like that, but no, they have to call a fish a fowl. I have to wonder if the sets are named by the marketing team, who might not be familiar with what vehicles the sets represent, especially for something like this.

I have a suspicion that names might be ambiguous on purpose. As we have seen again the past weeks, set names are the first to leak. Calling something a formula off-roader could be a strategy to keep competition in the dark for a little bit longer.

In the cases where names are very specific, like the Unimog, the upcoming Claas and Volvo, TLG is even more protective about set information and images.

On the other hand, it might just be the result of a language barrier. In my home country the word "digger" could apply to several very different machines like a dozer, a back-hoe, a front-end loader or an excavator. Same thing with the word "crane", which is used for excavators as well as mobile, crawler and tower cranes. I guess that every language and every region will have those differences in interpretation.

A side note: I find that we are becoming increasingly critical towards TLG, to the point that they can't seem to get it right (in AFOLs' eyes): We complain about boring color schemes, TLG gives us new colors and we complain about ugly combinations. We complain about too similar machines in each release, TLG gives us variation, we complain about lack of realism.

My opinion: TLG is really putting in a lot of effort to keep things fresh with new parts, colors, machine variations and licenses. It might not be to everyone's taste, but when I look at my collection, I seem to buy more and more sets with each new release, so they must be doing something right.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

I have a suspicion that names might be ambiguous on purpose. As we have seen again the past weeks, set names are the first to leak. Calling something a formula off-roader could be a strategy to keep competition in the dark for a little bit longer.

Personally my theory is that it is at least partially to avoid licensing issues, The 24 hour race car for instance, if they brought out the preliminary design (with the back fin etc..), and named it "LMP1 24 hours of Le-Mans car", they probably would have had the FIA/ACO knocking on the door because the thing would beyond a shadow of a doubt be an attempt to monetize their formula, even if it didnt say "audi" on the front.

The same goes for color schemes, 42036, IMHO is very close to some ducati bikes (Desmosedici-RR, google it, even has the same sort of V4 engine), and it looks brilliant with a color swap, but if they put it out looking 99% like a ducati, ducati might object, so they change the color scheme around (but not to much to actually really look like Gulf livery, because....) to avoid any unwanted discussions about licensing fees.