A PF and Pneumatic Mercedes-Benz flagship? Wow! never heard of that before! :grin:

You cannot step twice into same river, but I will :tongue: . Edited by Ondra

I'm not sure if anyone else has brought this up yet but, are those pieces on the stabilizers and crane extension that do the extending and the frame for one on the crane new or have they been used before? I noticed them when looking at images of the box and I don't recognize them.

@Kiwi_Builder

Sure they are new. Some time ago Barman made even a virtual model of it:

16255233998_08a4bcdd61_o.jpg

the 42008 pretty much fits that bill as well. You don't have to squint too hard before it becomes a MB cabover

@Kiwi_Builder

Sure they are new. Some time ago Barman made even a virtual model of it:

Excellent, they will be good to add to the parts collection, I can think of many future MOCs of mine that could use those parts :wink:

very tempted to sell my 8421 - to buy this (i'm married I have to impose a one-in one-out rule)

or trade my 8421 for this model ...

..would it be worth it?

very tempted to sell my 8421 - to buy this (i'm married I have to impose a one-in one-out rule)

..would it be worth it?

Yes! :thumbup:

IMO the 8421 is highly overrated :classic: However, the buggy motor and pneumatic brackets are nice though.. If your model is complete aand in good condition, you could probably sell it for more money than the 42043 will retail for

IMO the 8421 is highly overrated :classic: However, the buggy motor and pneumatic brackets are nice though.. If your model is complete aand in good condition, you could probably sell it for more money than the 42043 will retail for

I agree, you could be close to getting the Arocs and at least the pneumatic cylinder brackets for a well preserved 8421...

Oh lawd, please bless this hapless fule with a RRP so I know how early to start living on noodles.

..would it be worth it?

8421 it's a very big and important set, moreover it is out of production, do you not have other models to trade?

I'm not sure about that, at least not in the UK. Since 42009 has been widely available used the prices of 8421 sets have fallen quite a bit. Even last year I picked up two complete 8421s for less than the RRP of 42009 (£149.99 at the time). Maybe I'm just particularly good at scalping auction sites though... A quick check on Bricklink also shows that complete 8421s in good condition can be had for less than £100 (excluding P&P).

Or are you referring to parting it out and getting the most value out of the pneumatic brackets, RC motor, 32-long axle, metal hook, etc? I'm still struggling to see how that could make the €230+ the Arocs will likely cost but I can understand that with some patience this would get more money overall. If I had to guess, the UK RRP would be £170 like 42030 was.

Edited by Jay Psi

I'm looking at selling my 41999 :wacko: so that we can get the 42043 - lesson to the kids that you can't just keep buying stuff all the time. Its been used off road a bit, so not in pristine (ahem) condition.

I'm not sure about that, at least not in the UK. Since 42009 has been widely available used the prices of 8421 sets have fallen quite a bit. Even last year I picked up two complete 8421s for less than the RRP of 42009 (£149.99 at the time). Maybe I'm just particularly good at scalping auction sites though... A quick check on Bricklink also shows that complete 8421s in good condition can be had for less than £100 (excluding P&P).

Or are you referring to parting it out and getting the most value out of the pneumatic brackets, RC motor, 32-long axle, metal hook, etc? I'm still struggling to see how that could make the €230+ the Arocs will likely cost but I can understand that with some patience this would get more money overall. If I had to guess, the UK RRP would be £170 like 42030 was.

You're probably right, haven't really checked the prices in a long time, just remember they were quite expensive.. And yes, I was thinking selling it as a complete set, as I don't think it would be owrth the time and effort for someone not selling bricklink on bricklink on a regular basis to part it out and sell piece by piece :classic:

The same in Poland. You can get 8421, complete with box and instruction for around $140, and no one bid it :) . Comparing to Arocs it's about half price so here there is no chance to exchange it for brand new Mercedes!

Oh lawd, please bless this hapless fule with a RRP so I know how early to start living on noodles.

Take this with a huge grain of salt, since it is just a couple of prices in webshops, but a few dutch webshops (this one and this one at the very bottom of the page), currently have a RRP listed of 199,99 euro (same price as the 42009 in our country). Even when I consider the PF and Pneumatics, this set most likely has a huge amount of pins and other cheap parts that are raising the piece count, so I find the RRP from these webshops pretty plausible.

Edited by Appie

You're probably right, haven't really checked the prices in a long time, just remember they were quite expensive.. And yes, I was thinking selling it as a complete set, as I don't think it would be worth the time and effort for someone not selling on bricklink on a regular basis to part it out and sell piece by piece :classic:

The same in Poland. You can get 8421, complete with box and instruction for around $140, and no one bid it :) . Comparing to Arocs it's about half price so here there is no chance to exchange it for brand new Mercedes!

Thanks for the confirmation from both of you (I checked Brickpicker as well and apparently the US price of 8421 hasn't moved much so I was starting to doubt myself). If someone had the time and know-how to reliably sell on the other 1800 parts, they could build up quite a collection of RC motors, pneumatic brackets and metal hooks just from buying 8421 sets on the cheap!

Back to Rockbrick's original dilemma, if the only way I could get 42043 was to get rid of 8421 I'd do it. Even though I like the mobile crane a lot the Arocs is my most hotly anticipated flagship since I got out of my Dark Ages.

Edited by Jay Psi

Yeah, if I HAD to get rid of 8421 to get 42043 I'd do it but do you not have another set to sell? 8421 is a good set.

I've pre-ordered one set for €199..

Just bought a 8421 for 99euro in austria, just to confirm that prices are gone down...with box and instructilns.

Looks like ill be saving Up for it, but i have no idea when it can be bought in australia.