On 7/30/2021 at 2:23 PM, Touc4nx said:

While opening the bag 3 of 42128, I've noticed that the same part has some variation :

I don't know what is the reason, as they come from the exact same set, and the exact same sub-bag

Could be that they came off different production lines.

Design ID for the new tires is 70409, but not available from Lego bricks and pieces yet. Probably because they know i would have bought a ton, and they wouldn't have enough for the T2 sets LOL

Edited by Coolusername

52 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Well, the more apt comparison would be the tan one, since this also seems to lack friction ridges. But yeah, a basic color like light bley is nice. I expect Lego felt like it didn't need vivid color coding as much since its shape seems less easy to confuse with other 3M or 2M pins. ïğż

Is there even a colour-coded 3l pin in LBG? I think there's only the 3l pin with bush (which also exists in several other conflicting colours) and the 3l axle (which isn't a pin).

24 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

Is there even a colour-coded 3l pin in LBG? I think there's only the 3l pin with bush (which also exists in several other conflicting colours) and the 3l axle (which isn't a pin).

I think the 3M pin without friction might have used to be light bley in the early 2000s? I don't remember off the top of my head if those switched to tan from light grey before or after the big color shift. In the modern day, though, Lego has generally been pretty good with not overlapping colors and sizes of parts much especially in the small 2M/3M sizes (which I know is divisive but personally as a builder I do appreciate).

1 hour ago, pleegwat said:

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

I think the 3M pin without friction might have used to be light bley in the early 2000s? I don't remember off the top of my head if those switched to tan from light grey before or after the big color shift. In the modern day, though, Lego has generally been pretty good with not overlapping colors and sizes of parts much especially in the small 2M/3M sizes (which I know is divisive but personally as a builder I do appreciate).

All frictionless pins used to be light grey, then light bley. Only exception was the dark grey/dark bley 3/4 pin. 
IMHO that was the best - has friction then it's black, frictionless - grey. Both tan and blue stand out way too much (and now even red :sick:). But oh well, glad I left the brainwashing system.

Then first came down the axle-pins, becoming tan, being followed by 3L pins and 3/4 ones. Still beats me why they do this even though they add 1x part per page and most people don't dump all the pins in a single box. And now since they make this pin LBG, we're basically back to square one, what was the point of making all frictionless pins different from 2L tan, if now we have a 2L and a 3L LBG pin?! *huh* Same with possibility of bar insertion - this pin seems to accept one, all the while they are removing that ability from all other pins... wtf.

6 minutes ago, syclone said:

And now since they make this pin LBG, we're basically back to square one, what was the point of making all frictionless pins different from 2L tan, if now we have a 2L and a 3L LBG pin?! *huh*

I believe the rationale is: same length must have different color. And since the 3L pin with bush has become orange, the "length-3 gray slot" is now freed, which this pin now could use.

Why the 3L pins got blue and tan, I don't know, but it explains the blue and tan axle pins. (or at least, it explains them being not black and gray. I too wished they used more subtle colors, but all those more subdued/natural colors weren't so common back then)

I personally look at this whole pin color issue from the bright side: if TLC didn't do the color coding, we wouldn't have all these different pin types.

I even think the color distinction of pins has one big advantage: it makes for easier "deciphering" of models on photos.

10 minutes ago, syclone said:

All frictionless pins used to be light grey, then light bley. Only exception was the dark grey/dark bley 3/4 pin. 
IMHO that was the best - has friction then it's black, frictionless - grey. Both tan and blue stand out way too much (and now even red :sick:). But oh well, glad I left the brainwashing system.

Then first came down the axle-pins, becoming tan, being followed by 3L pins and 3/4 ones. Still beats me why they do this even though they add 1x part per page and most people don't dump all the pins in a single box. And now since they make this pin LBG, we're basically back to square one, what was the point of making all frictionless pins different from 2L tan, if now we have a 2L and a 3L LBG pin?! *huh* Same with possibility of bar insertion - this pin seems to accept one, all the while they are removing that ability from all other pins... wtf.

I can only hope the "brainwashing" bit wasn't aimed at builders like me who don't care about little spots of color, especially if it makes it easier to build...

My comment that Lego might have considered vibrant color coding less essential for this part was related to how it's less easy to confuse for other pins. A traditional 3M pin looks an awful lot like a 2M pin on one side, so is a little easier to mix up with those (especially because small parts like pins are quite often bagged together in sets). This new part's long shape with no center ridge is harder to mistake for a 2M pin of any type—so it really only needs to be able to be obviously different from other 3M parts.

The pin with bush is available in at least 16 colours, so it's in no way colour coded like most other pins. Apparently it's considerable usefulness in System builds has forced them to make it available in many colours, while other pins are mostly hidden when used in System so no need for many colours there.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

I can only hope the "brainwashing" bit wasn't aimed at builders like me who don't care about little spots of color, especially if it makes it easier to build...

My comment that Lego might have considered vibrant color coding less essential for this part was related to how it's less easy to confuse for other pins. A traditional 3M pin looks an awful lot like a 2M pin on one side, so is a little easier to mix up with those (especially because small parts like pins are quite often bagged together in sets). This new part's long shape with no center ridge is harder to mistake for a 2M pin of any type—so it really only needs to be able to be obviously different from other 3M parts.

Spoiler

Oh no it wasn't, pardon if it came over that way, I was referring only at TLG that provides subpar product at a high price and markets it like crazy (same as Apple, Google and all these megacorporations out there). That eventually leads to a brand loyalty - no matter the shortcomings, people will defend the product/ the ways of the company, basically getting brainwashed.

I understand why they do colour coding for beginner friendliness/to reduce the "challenge", but still, separating frictionless from friction was more than enough imho, making them bright af is just overdoing it... but this is beyond this topic and has been discussed extensively. I prefer having a pin being a specific colour to fit into a specific build (i.e red body - red pins, black chassis - black pins) and 3rd party brands allow that, unlike TLG, who have any part in any colour available only to themselves (pretty sure a LOT of fans would love to be able to order specific parts in specific colour). 

I wonder if that's the case. Still, they do weird stuff - Creator Expert models are just an eyesore, even completely different parts need to be different colour just because they're close... Just highlight the part in the instructions,  not make a trillion weird colour parts.

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

I believe the rationale is: same length must have different color. And since the 3L pin with bush has become orange, the "length-3 gray slot" is now freed, which this pin now could use.

Why the 3L pins got blue and tan, I don't know, but it explains the blue and tan axle pins. (or at least, it explains them being not black and gray. I too wished they used more subtle colors, but all those more subdued/natural colors weren't so common back then)

I personally look at this whole pin color issue from the bright side: if TLC didn't do the color coding, we wouldn't have all these different pin types.

I even think the color distinction of pins has one big advantage: it makes for easier "deciphering" of models on photos.

I suppose so, still quite a weird system with the blue/tan colour exception you mentioned. Even more weird is the 2L axle+pin in black - isn't it too similar to a 2L black pin by their logic?? Though apparently it was the DBG 2Lpin+axle that needed to be recoloured into red... :facepalm: No idea what they're smoking up there in Billund.

In regards of getting new pins - perhaps a good point, but they need to calm down with the colours, the circus wants them back :pir-laugh: 

As far as deciphering goes, can see it being useful, although didn't rely on it too much when reverse-engineering MOCs a few years ago since there's still a few using same colours.

Have to agree with Howitzer with the bush pin - I believe it's the only "correct" pin as it gets coloured as the design needs it rather than having a specific colour, though it's certain Technic sets have a tendency to use a same colour one, being red some time ago, now orange...

Edited by syclone

I just checked out the instructions of set 75296 which is currently the only set to contain (two of) 85x85p.jpg?1627808061.4438064. But there is absolutely no reason they couldn't just have used 85x85p.jpg?1626703325.7581635. So the new pin's introduction remains to be justified...

I think it could be useful for easier insertion from the outside inwards. Currently you have the build in correct order - beam, beam, pin,beam, but now you can just insert the pin in the end.

2 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

I think it could be useful for easier insertion from the outside inwards. Currently you have the build in correct order - beam, beam, pin,beam, but now you can just insert the pin in the end.

I am currently working on something where this would be useful.  7x11 frame, with 2 3x5 L liftarms inside it, with a biscuit between them.  There is no way to get a normal 3L pin with friction into all three parts.  I figured out an alternate solution with bracing elsewhere but if I had this part I would certainly use it.

That price has been the same for over a year. I would expect it to change some time soon, when they become available. 

40 minutes ago, LvdH said:

That price has been the same for over a year. I would expect it to change some time soon, when they become available. 

I’m not sure about that, the Education wind turbine blades were recently re-released and B&P has them for $149.00 each?!?!?!

2 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I’m not sure about that, the Education wind turbine blades were recently re-released and B&P has them for $149.00 each?!?!?!

They don't have them. It's not in stock (at least where I live), just like the pneumatic cylinder above. The 2x11 ones were available for â‚Ĵ6 or something so I don't see why these won't get a price correction when they become available. 

You can usually call LEGO to order out of stock parts and they'll update the price. 

5 hours ago, Hrafn said:

I am currently working on something where this would be useful.  7x11 frame, with 2 3x5 L liftarms inside it, with a biscuit between them. 

As long as you make sure you can still take it apart, then :)

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

As long as you make sure you can still take it apart, then :)

Yeah, it sounds to me like that won't come apart. I guess some people just leave their models together, though.

If the image in astyanax's post is the only one existing/available for now of this new 3L pin, it could have a hole in the stop-end allowing for bars or other tools to pass for (relatively) easy extraction.
If it's just a flat end with no hole, like the 3/4/5/8L axles with stop, it should have a hole to make it removable from the stop side.

It looks like an interesting and practical part though, it's easy to see its purpose, but it needs a means to be removable without the need to access the other side.

13 hours ago, astyanax said:

85x85p.jpg?1627808061.4438064.

This is a part that I have wanted for soo long! this is another game changer

7 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

@2GodBDGlory @N-4K0 on photos of the set this part comes in (Darth Vader chamber), it shows a bar hole through the stop end. I believe a bar can be inserted fully through it.

I certainly hope so. As others noted, this would be a dangerous part of it can't be removed from the stop end!