Sorry for bumping an old thread.

So, I have taken time away from the forms for a little bit. But I am back for now. I have made a few modifications to the 42039, Including the back horizontal fin thing, larger bonnet, and some more stickers. (Don't Hate)

IMG_3874_zpsqgml5fup.jpg

IMG_3873_zpssvro3id6.jpg

IMG_3872_zps7l9urpby.jpg

IMG_3875_zpsq6lthzrv.jpg

IMG_3876_zpsaxbetel4.jpg

IMG_3877_zpsqglekfbd.jpg

IMG_3878_zpsln3ogcee.jpg

I hope you guys like it.

Edited by Perry15

So I wanted to add remote control to this model, while keeping all the functions and with minimal modification. This means I want to keep the V8 engine (which usually is the first thing that people would take out to install a motor or two).

(Click on the pics for full res)

sbLvZZZm.jpg

So what I did was I stuck a PF L motor at the back. It directly connects to the rear differential. Took me hours to clear up the rear and make sure the rear engine cover would not be hindered by the motor when it opens

YwrZInNl.jpg

dVNqnNAl.jpg

KOjk8SLl.jpg

This also means that the engine was really far at the rear, and I have to use a 50cm extention wire to make sure the receiver can be close to the motor and servo

I also added a switch for the PF M motor that opens and closes both the doors and the rear engine cover

wcBjX60l.jpg

Engine bay opened. The motor barely clears everything. By this time I'm also too lazy to clear up the wire mess

c6tppFAl.jpg

5PW4mBrl.jpg

Installing the servo was straightforward. Took out the angled gear and the seat and just plonked it in there

fv50U6Bl.jpg

I'll post a youtube video later.

Interesting how you went out of your way to keep the V8 engine, but seem to have throwt out the seat without much thought. That seems really contradictory with the idea to "change the look as little as possible".

Interesting how you went out of your way to keep the V8 engine, but seem to have throwt out the seat without much thought. That seems really contradictory with the idea to "change the look as little as possible".

Because the V8 is part of the functions and the seat is not?

Sure would be nice if this set was out in the US by now. :/

No reason to wait for it to be released here, just order one(or more) from THIS store in Austria...

We've ordered about a dozen of them from there.. Even with the shipping, it is much cheaper than it will be to buy in stores when it finaly gets released here.. And it only takes 2 weeks to be delivered...

Edited by Paul Boratko

I built this set last night, however, I was quite disappointed with the looks. I was hoping it looked better in person but that was not the case.

Reminds me of a duck-billed platypus.

Oh well, more parts in the parts bin.

Edited by brickified

Hi folks. I'm hoping someone out there in the wild chunky Lego world can help point me in the right direction for motors and remote systems.

I've been messing about with Technic for more years than I care to mention and I figure it's about time I got into some serious modding.

My first experiment is the 42039 Le Mans Racer. I have so far rebuilt it with servo steering and 2xXL motors for propulsion. I can gear the XL motors 36/12 and get movement, but it ain't fast! I have tried adding another gear ratio of 36/12 which I think would give me the speed I want, but there's too much torque and it bugs out the motors. (Or I believe the sBrick shuts down the motors)

So, can anyone recommend a simple motor/battery/remote combination to get me started? I've decided I'll forget the sBrick for this kind of thing so don't worry about that.

Thanks folks.

You have run into the limitations of the PF system intentionally put there by LEGO. You are going to get both fast and heavy at the same time with Power Functions. The XL motors have the most torque, so if that's not enough for you then you'd probably prefer proper R/C. There is a current limit on both the battery box and the speed controller, and you'll hit them pretty fast with XL motors. The SBrick has much better current capacity than the PF receiver, so if you ditch that it will get even worse. If you do come up with a way to increase power, you'll start destroying LEGO axles.

Well, I don't want to go completely mad, I have seen YouTubers running cars at pretty fast speeds. The axles are surprisingly strong, I'd be more worried about wearing out the gears.

Yes, I have come to the conclusion that the Lego systems (while fantastic for what they are) are not going to do what I need. I have contacted a few RC companies here in the UK but so far I haven't had any useful replies. Do you have any suggestions to get me started down the RC route?

Thanks.

I can go and buy motors and servos without a problem, where I'm going to get stuck is physically connecting 3rd party bits to the Lego.

Hi guys, just want to show of my modded 42039:

9zLUl6B.jpg

Rest of the pictures can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/QvpfH

I went for an Octan inspired color scheme, and tried to match the looks (especially the nose and rear) of the toyota TS040, since i feel the lego model is closest to that car standard.

Hi, I'm new here and I'm from Germany

This is my first Lego project, since ... I do not know, too long ago ....

Since I can not send PM's because of the limitations, I would like to ask in this way, what parts I need for modifications of post 176 and post 206

Can someone help me?

Greetings

Translation sponsored by Google :-)

I just got this set and I am hoping it will satisfy several technic itches I've had over the past couple of years (and one as old as the silver champion, which I own). I missed out on getting 42000 and I'm still looking for something that's in the vein of 8297 but more interesting as a model. Unlike some, I do like the green-red-white color scheme and I have the current Creator set 31037 which I also like.

I think the color scheme is nice, too. I do feel there's too many green/white panels and too few liftarms, but not too bad.

ihave made a simple windscreenmod which needs no extra parts

23631618166_4276cc5810_c.jpg

23575259821_ede0f30da3_c.jpg

Edited by efferman

Bumping this old thread. I just built @jb70's RC mod of this, using Buwizz. Works remarkable well, considering the power goes through the fake engine. Achieves decent speed, a bit more with Landrover wheels and tyres at the rear. These just fit with minor modification, and looking at some real LMP car photos, may be legit. 

This seems to have about the best turning circle of any of my official sets, making it very playable.

I also recoloured to orange / black, added 2x front lights and rear. A few other minor cosmetic mods, some part availability limitations kicked in.

I paid above full retail price for this when i found it in a small toy shop after it had gone off the market. Despite that, with all the great B, C, D models and mods, and great playability, this is one of the best value sets I have. 

iF8ceyU.jpg

Lots of room with the Buwizz, I pushed the 2x4 L beam forward to act as a catch on the front.

g7bxIs9.jpg

not the neatest but all good when closed.

y09wGKI.jpg

Short of 3x11 and 3x7 curved tapered panels, but able to improvise with the smaller ones

E0O8VBx.jpg

vyEqkcZ.jpg

5x7 panels not really working here

5xDwQkk.jpg

Routing wiring a bit of a pain, I may need to get some of those new clip parts. The >1 unit height of that block in the PF lights is a rare piece of poor design from Bilund. 

Edited by DrJimbo
link update

6 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Maybe a bit out of context, but has the bright green color been used in any other technic set?

So far, no. Unfortunately. I bricklinked some extra bright green parts at the time, in the hope that the color would come about in the future. (I tend to do that when new colors show up.)

There seem to exist 3x5 L beams in bright green that weren't in this set. According to Bricklink they are in a WeDo set and in Joker's Manor (the set that was famous for being the first to introduce the new roller coaster tracks).