L@go

MOC: Service with a Smile - modular gas station

Hello, fellow Eurobrickers!

Warning: This is a picture heavy post - and there's a lot of text as well :)

I've been much less active over the past months here on the forums than I used to be. The main reason for that is that I've been very, very active in the real world of LEGO fans, having visited nine LEGO events in the last thirteen months. Part of the time, I've also been busy building - mainly for the LEGO Adventure Book, Volume 2.

I was very honoured to be asked to participate in Megan Rothrock's first book, which turned out great - I'm very proud of having been a part of that, although my chapter is a little, tiny one with only six pages. It has taken me to events in Germany, Portugal, the UK and the Netherlands that I probably wouldn't have been to - at least not this early in my MOCing days - if it hadn't been for the book, and I have met so many great people (many of whom are active Eurobricks members) as a result of that.

So when Megan asked me if I wanted to build something for the second book, I knew I would be stupid not to say yes. But I had to approach the challenge differently than with the first book, because the stuff that ended up in Volume 1 was all stuff that had already been published on my Flickr (apart for the Ace of Spades building instructions, which I made specifically for the book). For Volume 2, Megan wanted me to build something new. And obviously, if you're building something that goes into a book, you want to do your best.

I couldn't just repeat what I did for the first book and build some cars. I needed to do something bigger, and that's why I decided to pursue an idea I'd had for a while, but didn't expect to actually be able to turn into reality for a while yet. I had toyed with the idea of building a gas station that would fit into a modular street, but I also wanted it to feature a (removable) parking deck on top and a ramp leading up to it. So I started out in MLCad with a 32x64 stud footprint.

Not a good idea.

After having built the entire ground floor and the ramp, it looked like this:

station7.jpg

I was quite happy with it - but then I thought it might be clever to check how it would look with some cars on it. And they didn't fit - they wouldn't be able to make the turn on the ramp, and they wouldn't really be able to get to the pumps. So it was back to the drawing board...

station12.jpg

This was so much better. I had another idea all along as well - a pet project of mine is, as some of you might know, updating the classic Town sets from the eighties and nineties, and a favourite set of mine from that era (that I didn't have as a kid, but bought right after coming out of my Dark Ages) is 6561, Hot Rod Club. My contribution to book 1 had a strong flavour of hot rods, so it made sense to just let that evolve into book 2 - and therefore I wanted to make an updated Hot Rod Clubhouse to go on top of the parking deck. I also wanted it to be removable so it could stand alone as a separate building, like the old one.

And this is what I ended up with. Note that all stickers are official LEGO stickers.

9922239503_9503e38f72_c.jpg

9922141954_35c0792827_c.jpg

9941579615_bae6b81d3d_c.jpg

9941714253_edc5750d3a_c.jpg

Here's a demonstration of the removable floors. The roof of the clubhouse also comes off (not visible in this picture):

9941702963_267ab35c06_c.jpg

Some of my favourite details of the gas station:

9922076475_b01352510f_c.jpg

9922103206_d0b783bc3b_c.jpg

9922244483_49d5a2f19e_c.jpg

9922073295_4fe17159ae_c.jpg

9922247013_ab83f926b8_c.jpg

9922151794_160b8cec23_c.jpg

9922112656_e190b32453_c.jpg

9922159104_8c22b259b8_c.jpg

And the clubhouse:

9826119396_cf24a0c9bf_c.jpg

9826093664_915179464d_c.jpg

9826096464_4001fd0625_c.jpg

9826098284_9ed9e97cef_c.jpg

9826138356_b5f9c9ce4a_c.jpg

That last one is a respectful nod to the old set - the idea is that the hot rod club grew out of their old clubhouse...

So, a gas station and a hot rod clubhouse. That's all good and well, but there needs to be some cars to go with it. First, the Gas Guzzler, a hot rod tanker truck.

9791700916_ae8f1c054d_c.jpg

9791759423_65937aa4d1_c.jpg

The idea came from those dark blue curved double slopes. I was able to pick up four of them from some building bins at an event in November, and I thought this would be a good way to use them. You can find complete instructions for the Guzzler in book 2.

Add to this the hot rods that go with the updated clubhouse - two from set 6561 and, for good measure, set 6538, from the same year.

Sweet Yello:

9736313699_48839537fd_c.jpg

9736302033_69221e17c2_c.jpg

Hot Howler:

9725251159_dfd519dc6c_c.jpg

9728480660_bc51e9330f_c.jpg

Rebel Roadster:

9718057703_d6af1ea2aa_c.jpg

9718052931_cc5ae6c663_c.jpg

9779790456_2c669363d9_c.jpg

9826134475_b4f9dc0444_c.jpg

And, for good measure, throw in a vintage car that I did earlier, the Blue Eagle, to be the gas station owner's daily driver (his name is Gus Gazzler, by the way):

7720531684_50864efa72_c.jpg

7720525330_b78a00b7d6_c.jpg

Complete instructions for this car can also be found in book 2.

So there you have it: A modular gas station with a removable parking deck and a hot rod clubhouse, with three hot rods, a vintage car and a hot rod tanker truck - Chapter 3 of the LEGO Adventure Book, Volume 2, coming out in late November. Hope you like it - I'm certainly looking forward to getting my hands on the book to have a closer look at what the other contributors have built. There are some fantastic builders in there that I'm - again - honoured to be allowed to share space with in a book.

And, personally, I feel this is my best build ever. Which is of course a very gratifying feeling when that was what I set out to do - and I was rewarded with a lot more pages in the second book :)

More pictures of these MOCs can be found in my Service with a Smile photoset on Flickr.

Thanks for stopping by!

Are / L@go

um ok the first thing that comes mind is....omg i am not worthy. second is this is a great upgrade from the original (which i had when i was younger) love the clean lines, like all the little details, thought some lighting would have been great to see but that's just me. i own Volume 1 and love it, so can't wait for the second. great job. :thumbup::grin:

Wow, incredible build and great re-invention of the hot rod club! It was one of my favourite sets from my childhood along with the Octan service station, and you have sort of re-invented both here (shame it's not Octan brand :tongue: ). The details throughout the build are incredible, from the bits and pieces available in the store to the amazing details in the club itself and the bike rack :wub: very well thought out and put together!!

Congrats on your chapter in the book, I will be keeping my eye out for the release and happy building :laugh:

Love the nod to the Hot Rod Club.

This makes me crave a modular fueling station for my town.

I love the details and differences in each of the vehicles. They look great.

This is truly amazing, wonderful details, i love the design of the service station, the hot rod club, everything ! Congrats !

Thanks 'L@go' for raising the smegging bar again, no seriously......AWESOME work, dude. :grin:

I :wub: the hot rod club rooms, of course so to the impressive fuel pumps and neat shop interior......I'm about to post an update for mine.....I feel another contest popping up again one day ? :laugh:

Brick On 'L@go' ! :grin:

Edited by lightningtiger

Very impressive Moc, I like all the details : the little shop in the angle, the club, and the hot rod tanker truck

I'm not a fan of gas station but this creation is a success.

Bravo

ive been trying to do something very similar on a smaller scale, but you Sir have nailed it. thank you for sharing that with us. mind blowing quality!

Awesome build.

Hot Rod Club and that other Hot Rod set were pretty much the last sets I got as a kid, and they actually survived my Dark Ages fully built up until today, so this brings back a lot of memories.

OMG!!!!

This is really IMPRESSIVE! I love your station! So much good ideas and so much details! I only have one word to say: respect!

But is the StarCommand a gasoil and super service station or a kerosene service station for buzz lightyear???? lol !

Wo-Hoo! VERY, very nice!!!

I like it a lot.

Many things to mention here... First of all the original colour-scheme.

The detail with the yellow-black warnings under the roof. The shop selling everything else apart form petrol (making normal petrol-costumers wait for ages, while kids get´s their hot dogs (tsk- tsk...). The parking-ticket machine on the top roof. The exclusive hot-rod club. (I was expecting a diner, but this one is ok too! -and the interior decoration is especially nice!)

I´m not fan of hot-rods in general, and this MOC has a lot of them. I will imagine it with "normal" cars... ;-)

Oops: I had to add these items of particular interest too: The original fuel-pumps and the floor hinge-plate at the bicycle stand!

Edited by Hoexbroe

Nice work! :thumbup: I like the colour scheme the most. A combination of white with a touch of dark and medium blue works perfectly. I'm not a big fan of hot rod cars, so I find it hard to comment, but I do like that you included different variations of hot rods. On the inside, there are many hidden details. I was surprised to see the darts inside, the red sofa looks very comfortable, and the outside chairs are a lovely design (great use of the phone). My favourite part of the MOC is the yellow bicycle with a missing wheel. All in all, it's a great MOC and I can see why you're one of the ''special'' ones working on LEGO Adventure Book (and congratulations for being invited again!).

Incredible. love the scale and all the details, and the new look. I really like small details like the use of telephones as arms on the chairs, nice touch!

Really, really well done. Great details and you made it the right size to pull it off. Excellent!

This really is an awesome build, with exceptional attention to detail. I particularly love the clubhouse, both inside and out :wub: !

This looks pretty cool. Is this based on any real gas stations? I've never seen a gas station with an overhead parking lot and I would feel rather claustrophobic under there. I think you could bring down the second floor and put it side-by-side with the firs and it'll still look good. One detail I wished it had were stairs to the second floor.

I'm speechless :| it's so awesome, and Badbob001 i know some gas stations, one in Cologne Germany,

You can search in google maps: Cäcilienstraße 32 50667 Köln, Deutschland

Parkhaus Schildergasse, gas station at ground level and than multiple levels of parkings

Edited by Stefano

Well, let me tell you - if coming back from work to find that 21 people have responded to my post isn't genuinely inspiring, nothing is. Thank you so much for your kind words - I caught myself smiling as I read them all. This just reminds me again why I ended up on Eurobricks when I first came back to LEGO - it's such a great community, with friendly people.

Now, let me respond to some replies in particular (I can't respond to all, there are just too many!)

...thought some lighting would have been great to see but that's just me.

I really like that idea. I think experimenting with some lights is something I'll want to do sooner or later, and this MOC would be a good one for that, as it does get a bit dark underneath that parking floor.

I feel another contest popping up again one day ?

Well, I was working on this during the last contest - I just couldn't post any pictures of it because it was going into the book... ;)

ive been trying to do something very similar on a smaller scale, but you Sir have nailed it.

Thanks! As you can see, I tried to do something very similar on a smaller scale, and failed. So I made it bigger :)

But is the StarCommand a gasoil and super service station or a kerosene service station for buzz lightyear???? lol !

Yup, that is where that sticker came from. But you have to admit that it fits quite well as a gas company logo?

Wow!

I like it a lot.

A special thank you to you two. You are among the builders who inspire me the most. I'm honoured that you've noticed so many details - I spent a lot of time getting those right. Though nobody has mentioned the top magazine shelf yet... ;)

My favourite part of the MOC is the yellow bicycle with a missing wheel.

Again, one of those tiny details that I felt added a little something special. Thank you so much for noticing!

This looks pretty cool. Is this based on any real gas stations? I've never seen a gas station with an overhead parking lot and I would feel rather claustrophobic under there. I think you could bring down the second floor and put it side-by-side with the firs and it'll still look good. One detail I wished it had were stairs to the second floor.

Yes, I've seen several, like the one Stefano linked to in the previous post. Regarding the stairs: It's probably the first thing I would change if I were to build this again. It's so easily doable, I'd just put in a spiral staircase leading from the curved arch to the ramp itself. But then again, it's not like the customers couldn't just walk up the ramp...

Again, thanks for the replies! Makes me want to build something again - this thing drained me (and my wallet), so I've lacked some inspiration for the past months. And I'm very glad to see several of you mentioning the colour scheme - it was a case of it pretty much coming together without me thinking about it. The dark blue came from the tanker truck, and the light blue came from the Buzz Lightyear sticker - so it was natural to choose those two for accent colours. The station itself needed to be white, because that suited the architectural style best. It just happened to work very well together :)

Oh, and fun fact: The whole thing (excluding the cars) consists of 4843 parts - 983 of which are 2x2 light bluish grey tiles...

Edited by L@go

You've done it again L@GO! This is too cool! A Bi-level gas station and Hot Rod Club, I've been waiting for TLG to do an update of that, but I highly doubt that it'd be this good. Awesome job, definitely one of my favorite MOCs of yours :classic:

what i wonder with these large mocs, and any moc in general, do you guys keep them ? or is build the thing, take pictures, maybe a build plan and then destroy it again ?