Sign in to follow this  
SlyOwl

Medieval Port

indexed.gif

Brickshelf is back! :grin: I finished this last weekend, but didn't want to clog up Flickr with loads of photos of it...

port001.jpg

port002.jpg

port003.jpg

:classic:

See the pirate version here

Looks wacky :tongue: I like how dynamic it is, especially things like the rowboat at an angle in the water.

Hello there!

It takes a while to dive into to wonderfully designed layout. There's so much to dicover that it's hard to put it into words. You show love for detail, which I admire a lot. A clothesline, fume out of the chimney, and a seaplant piece out of the sewerage are only a few obvious examples. You also like figures in motion, and manage to include a lot of fun into your scene. My favourite detail is the rowboat being pushed down into the water by the impact of the minifigure who fell into it. You can clearly see a little story that happened, although you use only one image. My congratulations on this felicitous scene. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Instantly recognizable SlyOwl creation. the right side is definitely my favorite part of this scene: I really like the water flowing. The rock (especially the way the grass grows on the top, with that cleverly placed double-wedge plate). The fortification and the 'bridge' leading there are really well done as well. I'm amazed at all the roof techniques you always come up with, but some of them are a little too fragile for my taste.

Another exciting and full of life MOC by SlyOwl! :classic: Love two specially "living" details; the culvert (the work combining those plates is amazing) and the little fortress' wall technique :thumbup:

The Pirate version turned public on Brickshelf... :classic: and I must say I prefer it over the castle version, and while that could be my personal bias, I think it's mainly because of the color the soldiers add to it.

'SlyOwl' - just fanastic ! :thumbup::grin:

From the crane scene to the tunics hanging from the clothes line to the shambles of the stonework of the castle walls.

Fanastic ! :thumbup:

Keep up the great work ! :thumbup::classic:

When I saw this one, I thought :"Wait, I already see that MOC but slightly different..."

That'sa great idea to make the same MOC with two versions :wink:

for two differents contests ! :grin: :grin:

But this Moc is really fantastic, all the details are here. I especially like the right part of the MOC with the fortified wall and the guards over the little cliff.

Well done SlyOwl !

Thats just awesome slyowl, you really are a master at these sort of scenes. So much to llike here, but my favourite aspect has to be how you have made each building in a different style and variation. Great work. I take it this is for the Classic Castle contest?

Awesome creation again SlyOwl! :thumbup: the buildings look great, their roofs, windows and other nice details.

I think the mast of the ship is a little bit too thick but that's just a minor point.

Really great MOC, your building skills are to be jealous of :pirate:

Well done SlyOwl. I like the variety of styles and details throughout the buildings and the proximity of the whole scene. The little boat is a cool addition.

Wow!

This is awesome!

Amount of detail is incredible!

I am staring at the pictures...phenomenal!

That rod roof is beautiful!

A traditional Slyowlian MOC: great into its details!

Good job, I'm looking forward to your next one.

Love the boat, love the water, love the buildings, well, that's another slyowl moc, where everything is amazing XD once again, great job :thumbup:

The pirate version is just.. the same , but with imperial guards instead of crownies XD

Extremely well done !! :thumbup: The creativeness and attention to detail is evident everywhere you look. Great job!!

I have a few questions:

About how long did you spend on this?

Also how do you do the "uneven" brown roof and "uneven" black roof on the right?

Is the small boat just place on bricks at different levels or is it securely attached? If securely attached, how did you do that?

What is the orange stuff spilling from the overturned bucket?

Thanks and again for showing to us, Amazing work !!

Edited by ktbflyfish

WOW! As always your MOC has inspired admiration and envy for your creative ability! I love your many roof techniques...they are daring and inventive. All the wonderful details and interesting shapes and angles that you have created throughout are fantastic. The oversized pully has to be the stand out for me in this MOC. I will be "borrowing" that idea in the future. If I were a king I would have to appoint you as the royal builder. Your skills are so impressive.

Thanks all :sweet:

I'm amazed at all the roof techniques you always come up with, but some of them are a little too fragile for my taste.

I try to build sturdier these days (and it also helps my collection has grown), but when building at speed (and not doing interiors), fragility just happens...

When I saw this one, I thought :"Wait, I already see that MOC but slightly different..."

That'sa great idea to make the same MOC with two versions :wink:

for two differents contests ! :grin: :grin:

Hehe :grin: I missed the FC Contest deadline though, whilst waiting for BS to come back, as I didn't want to flood my Flickr with photos.

I take it this is for the Classic Castle contest?

Naturally :wink:

I think the mast of the ship is a little bit too thick but that's just a minor point.

I agree; it was difficult to find a thinner mast without making it either fragile or parts-intensive (or using the prefab masts), so I had to go with 2x2 rounds. The boat was originally going to be larger, so the mast fitted in better there.

Love the stone brick work but i'm curious to know how you made the brown roof that way. Is it very stable?

It's just a 6x14 plate with tiles not pushed down properly on it; the strongest of all the roofs in this MOC, and stable enough for most people, I think.

About how long did you spend on this?

Also how do you do the "uneven" brown roof and "uneven" black roof on the right?

Is the small boat just place on bricks at different levels or is it securely attached? If securely attached, how did you do that?

What is the orange stuff spilling from the overturned bucket?

1. About a week. I would have spent longer (to build interiors etc) and built larger, but for contest restrictions.

2. The tiles in both of them are simply not pushed down properly onto a plate underneath. Strong and simple.

3. Just balanced in this situation. In the past, I've used some technic angle connectors to hold the boat down, between the bottom of the boat and the water.

4. Dunno - orange sludge? :laugh:

Tell me SlyOwl, what would you do if some little kid, approximately 5 years old, came over to your house when you were away and smashed this thing into a million pieces?

Another question.

How many hours a week to you spend building?

Edited by Ratshot

I feel ashamed I didn't notice this topic earlier. :laugh:

As usual a great creation SlyOwl! I still can't believe you can whip up the most amazing MOCs in no time!

I love the details again, the wall, the building and especially their roofs are lovely.

You are always using that almost sinking dinghy aren't you? :laugh:

Great creation Sly! :thumbup:

Thanks again all :classic:

Tell me SlyOwl, what would you do if some little kid, approximately 5 years old, came over to your house when you were away and smashed this thing into a million pieces?

Another question.

How many hours a week to you spend building?

Hmm... not much, as I wasn't really "feeling" this MOC as much as Drahomira and Medieval Fayre - for some reason I don't like it as much as those two...

Scarily much time building. I do about an hour per weekday, and a couple more on Friday/Saturday/Sunday, so it must come to 10-15 hours per week. That's at the moment though - without the CCCVII on, I'd spend much less time building.

You are always using that almost sinking dinghy aren't you? :laugh:

Yeah... I really should just let it float around sometime :tongue:

Fantastic job SlyOwl, the port is wonderful! I love the busy and crammed look of it, and the misshapen bricks on the towers looks great. Some of my favourite details are the clothes hanging, drunk sailor and man getting hit by the lowered crate. The minifig arm roof is really quite inventive, but personally I don't think it works here that much, though the one made out of technic piece fits in quite well.

Batbrick Away! :devil: