The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I could definitely see an Inverted Corner Modular in the style of Detectives Office. That is, multiple building in one staggered, symbiotic structure.

That would eliminate the need to have just the tiny corner façade that everyone points to as a problem.

It could have an alleyway, then a building, or whatever.

My point is that it doesn't have to have a tiny façade. LEGO Designers are creative. If they want an interesting Inverted Corner, they'll make it.

Does anyone have a good example of a MOC inverted modular that could in theory be compatible with the current modulars?

I found that this one was very well done: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=90594

(Modular Asian Restaurant, for the Modular Madness contest some time ago)

Edited by antp

That rumored modular would be a very strange choice. Offering an inverted corner building is already risky in itself, then making it the modular with the highest MSRP by far sounds like total insanity.

Maybe I'm totally wrong and TLG will surprise us all with a brilliant design.

Whilst an inverted corner (even with the extra baseplate) seems like a silly idea, I do wonder if they would do a 32x32 and a 16x32 in the same set. Like a Pet Shop and a half. A large baseplate could allow for a taller building, like the Town Hall, without standing out as much. Alternatively it could allow for a main structure and smaller structure, similar to what was done with the Detective's Office, but without having to compromise on the size of either.

I can't see an inverted corner modular happening to be honest - as Dazz pointed out, a bit risky if this is truly going to be the most expensive modular building to date.

I'm hoping for a hospital or a museum. My minifigs are in dire need of quality healthcare and cultural pursuits ! :)

Thanks for posting the examples. Now it is much easier to see the pros and cons of this type of structure. Such a building does not look like it would be an ideal standalone structure. You would have to put something on either side of the plain walls to hide them. In theory, I have no doubt the Lego designers could come up with something really nice and surprise us all. If you collect other modulars and want to add this one to your town, it would certainly cause you to be creative with your street plan.

To me, the ideal setting of one (or four) of these would be an enclosed square with the facades facing in. The Plaza Mayor in Madrid, Spain comes to mind. In order to gain access, you would have to enter through an opening somewhere along the sides and this would likely be only for pedestrians.

This would be quite an interesting move for sure. It would, first & foremost, break the release pattern. If the hospital rumor is true, I just can't picture it being an inverted corner either. I could see a residence, much like the 10218 Pet Shop townhouse side that was previously posted.

I'm not sure the bare side walls would be concern, but the back wall being the largest surface area, it would be strange. Someone mentioned 10182 Cafe Corner as inverted. I can't see such a large plain surface being appealing.

I'm not sure the bare side walls would be concern, but the back wall being the largest surface area, it would be strange. Someone mentioned 10182 Cafe Corner as inverted. I can't see such a large plain surface being appealing.

I assume they would have to add the detail to the back wall, but in that case they may as well make a regular corner building and people could modify it to be inverted.

Tbh the pattern could change. They've released enough to produce a whole square so don't need to keep up with the same release. Plus the pattern of types of building people quote never made sense to me (claiming that the Detective's Office counts as a government building etc).

I think a doctor's surgery, rather than a hospital, would be nice. It would be more in line with the style of building's we've had, since a hospital tends to be a much larger, specifically built structure. Also, a surgery rather than a hospital would be easier to keep in the early 1900s style of the others. It would upset me to see a modern hospital interior next to a century old fire station with classic fire engine.

It means that it's the opposite of the standard "corner modular". Instead of having pavement on 2 sides of the building, you could only have a very small area of paving, with the walls of the modular at 90 degrees from one another rather than at 270 degrees from one another.

It would allow you to put it in the corner of 2 other building and have buildings on the outside of a road rather than just the inside as a "block"

I assume they would have to add the detail to the back wall, but in that case they may as well make a regular corner building and people could modify it to be inverted.

Tbh the pattern could change. They've released enough to produce a whole square so don't need to keep up with the same release. Plus the pattern of types of building people quote never made sense to me (claiming that the Detective's Office counts as a government building etc).

I think a doctor's surgery, rather than a hospital, would be nice. It would be more in line with the style of building's we've had, since a hospital tends to be a much larger, specifically built structure. Also, a surgery rather than a hospital would be easier to keep in the early 1900s style of the others. It would upset me to see a modern hospital interior next to a century old fire station with classic fire engine.

As someone suggested earlier, LEGO could be equating the detective portion to the police, without having an actual police station. The same could be said for a medical clinic.

hi

sorry i'm lost

whats does inverted mean ? I don't understand what it would look like

cheers

Back a page, maybe two, a picture was posted of an inverted brown townhouse portion from 10218.

I still doubt the veracity of this rumor. I think it was this time last year when everyone was certain we were getting an arcade.

I don't think anyone said there was going to be a hospital.

This rumour about hospital firstly came from brickpicker.Presumably its hospital other say clinic with dentist with 4 floors, no info about price like on that italian forum.

I still doubt the veracity of this rumor. I think it was this time last year when everyone was certain we were getting an arcade.

Yeah, thankfully we didn't get one. A 1980s style arcade would never fit the early-mid 1900s theme. A laundrette is bad enough since automated ones didn't exist, but it's more believable than 80s style electronics.

I could see there being some type of news agency à la Detective's Office "noir" style. Maybe combined with something else like the pool hall and barber shop in that set. I'm doubtful of the inverted corner, but LEGO has surprised me before!

Solid rumor of Brick Bank was late September of last year. So getting close to that time. Medical themed Modular would be a welcome addition and hopefully rumors of the

inverted corner go the way of the arcade - nowhere!

Solid rumor of Brick Bank was late September of last year. So getting close to that time. Medical themed Modular would be a welcome addition and hopefully rumors of the

inverted corner go the way of the arcade - nowhere!

I hope the solid rumor does come around next month.

A Hospital modular would be greatly appreciated. There hasn't even been a regular hospital in five years and that set wasn't very good.

I saw this in 2017 city forum, please check corner art where is interesting modular building.It has 4 floors like rumours say looks like corner or inverted corner type of building.Seems very detailed unlike other buildings in art.

For me it looks like some hospital with generous design of 30' .

60147-1.jpg?201608080822

The modular series is a totally different theme than City, although a lot of people do tend to combine sets from both themes if they are making a large town setup. As to the structure you are referring to, I assume you mean the one just to the right of where the fishing line bends inward? That one appears to be a regular corner as I can barely detect windows on the sides leading up to the corner. An inverted modular would have blank walls to either side of the corner. Another way to think about it. In a regular corner, the corner faces on the outside of the 90 degree angle formed by two sides. In the inverted situation, the corner face is inside the 90 degree angle formed by the two sides.

As for the hospital, so far there is nothing but speculation and no really hard facts to support the possibility it will be made in modular form. Honestly, I would think it could appear in the City line. There is currently a relatively new ambulance plane and nothing else in the hospital subtheme. A city set with an inverted corner could make sense, because they could leave what would have been the blank walls open in order to facilitate access to the interior.

I think that modular building will be something like this, I dont think that inverted corner will look great or usable in modular street.

IMG_8565.jpg

Taken from that italian forum mentioned few pages back.

That's exactly what I was imagining. I think it's a terrible idea. It won't easily connect to what already exists, and if people have it displayed on a linear shelf you can only join it at one end, since the 16x32 part can't be swapped. It forces it to be the end building, limiting the variety you can get in displays, and also limits the amount of facade at the front.