Jim

[REVIEW] 42070 - 6x6 All Terrain Tow Truck

42070 - 6x6 All Terrain Tow Truck - Rating  

211 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

For only $10 more (probably less, actually, since those sets are a year old now) I could buy the Claas and the Volvo excavator and have a much, much better experience AND upwards of a thousand more pieces. I'm rating this 2 stars primarily on value, although the general unfinishedness of the whole thing certainly is a factor.

Something else in dark azure would have been great, though.

Thanks, again, for a great and much appreciated review, Jim! I like your review so much more than the actual set ;-}

I'm still having trouble understanding this model... the color schemes inside and especially outside... unfinished look... the price... I'm rather disappointed by all major technic models this year - in contrast to buying all last year.

Using easy to build color schemes could be useful to broaden the customer base for large technic models. And save one or two christmas evenings. Still, I'm no fan of this development as seen with modular buildings, too. From almost architectural models clearly addressed to AFOLs now we get "playfulness" in expense of detailed buildings. 

1 hour ago, Kepheus said:

Thanks, again, for a great and much appreciated review, Jim! I like your review so much more than the actual set ;-}

I'm still having trouble understanding this model... the color schemes inside and especially outside... unfinished look... the price... I'm rather disappointed by all major technic models this year - in contrast to buying all last year.

Using easy to build color schemes could be useful to broaden the customer base for large technic models. And save one or two christmas evenings. Still, I'm no fan of this development as seen with modular buildings, too. From almost architectural models clearly addressed to AFOLs now we get "playfulness" in expense of detailed buildings. 

My pleasure!

While I do understand your opinion and I tend to agree, we sometimes forget that big Technic sets aren't for AFOLs only. Like I said in my review; I had a buddy co-building with me and sometimes even @Kitty (my partner) helps me out. It is interesting to observe the building process. Kitty tends to confuse dbg with black, so sometimes she is "missing" a piece later on. Overall, she is very meticulous, but these things happen. That's probably why TLG is color coding liftarms (and axles) more and more. We do need to take into consideration that these are the people who also will be building Technic sets, for themselves or for their kids.

The unfinished look and hefty price have nothing to do with this of course, I am 100% with you on that one.

6 hours ago, PicnicBasketSam said:

For only $10 more (probably less, actually, since those sets are a year old now) I could buy the Claas and the Volvo excavator and have a much, much better experience AND upwards of a thousand more pieces. I'm rating this 2 stars primarily on value, although the general unfinishedness of the whole thing certainly is a factor.

Claas + Volvo is a no brainer. So of the most fantastic Technic sets for the price of a mediocre one.

6 hours ago, PicnicBasketSam said:

Something else in dark azure would have been great, though.

A picnic basket?

---

On a more positive note; the battery box compartment easily fits the rechargeable battery pack or BuWizz :thumbup:

The price in Euro hurts, you should see the UK price when compared to older sets (fall in pound).  

Super review and pics Jim, always a pleasure to read your reviews ! 

As for the set, I am very disappointed by it, the outriggers and the crane look unfinished, and the overall design is poor, imho. Price wise, the set is way too expensive. 

Thanks again Jim for that outstanding review and pictures (Also for the close up of the gearbox :wink:)

About unfinished look, plain build experience and not-proper-working out the box is something that, lately and sadly,  I have seen on latest Uwe´s models :sceptic:  (Details on spolier to stay ON TOPIC)

So To being honest, when I see it was designed by him, I did not expect something revolutionary. Something that a Flagship needs, but the 42070 does not have

Spoiler

(42070 - As many of you stated here, 42056 - We all know what happen ,42039 - simple build, big gaps here and there, angular look; 42030 - gap in the middle, unfinished look in the front, jerky steering ).His previous models were better in those aspects

On 20/7/2017 at 1:52 AM, Jim said:

While I do understand your opinion and I tend to agree, we sometimes forget that big Technic sets aren't for AFOLs only. Like I said in my review; I had a buddy co-building with me and sometimes even @Kitty (my partner) helps me out. It is interesting to observe the building process. Kitty tends to confuse dbg with black, so sometimes she is "missing" a piece later on. Overall, she is very meticulous, but these things happen. That's probably why TLG is color coding liftarms (and axles) more and more. We do need to take into consideration that these are the people who also will be building Technic sets, for themselves or for their kids.

Interesting theory. Maybe the Instructions Area on TLG have to polish there the bulding instructions in terms of color background, contrast etc....,Well at least the BI are better than before in those aspects. But It is curious how the 42069 does not have a crazy color coding in the build while its a bit more complex in some parts than 42070 (For example the Front and rear Axles).

The Color coding indeed could be useful in a moderated way, but it is overused on 42070 and it could be confusing and frustating at some point  For example finding and putting a part on a specific color when there is the same in other color, (and simliar situations)

Fun fact : first Technic set ever with an axle with transmission + steering but no suspension.

12 minutes ago, Anio said:

Fun fact : first Technic set ever with an axle with transmission + steering but no suspension.

That's not a good thing...

My point is that it took 40 years to see such a (simple) axle in an official product.

I guess that adding suspension generally doesn't takes much when steering and transmission are here already. So, they always included suspension when an axle had steering + transmission.

Thanks Jim, great review!

Seeing more and more of these non-numbered bag big sets pop up is starting to look like it won't just be review versions but also for consumers. While I hate the dumbed down instructions and colour vomit in general to make building easier, I quite liked numbered bags for the simple reason I could pace myself to "a number at a time" with a set and spread the build accross 2-4 evenings. Not to mention each "number" of bags in previous big sets would amount to 4-6 open bags on the table instead of the 16 I now count for this set. This lazy approach looks more something like Lepin would do imo.

7 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

@Anio: The 42030 Volvo has transmission + steering and no suspension too?

WRONG! 42030 does have suspension, but not steering on the axles. Most wheel loaders, and the real Volvo L350f have pendular suspension, with the front axle fixed, and the rear axle pendular. That kind of suspension is more for keeping wheels on the ground than absorbing shocks, hence the large, low pressure tires. Also, I don't think Anio would count articulated steering when talking about this, I certainly don't. Also, I'd say 42030 gets a pass, since it has a realistic suspension setup, whereas 42070 has no such excuse.

I can't believe that Uwe Wabra designed both 8258, which was great, and 42070, which is an overpriced turd. Also, both models use almost the same amount of pieces, yet 8258 looks much better, and more finished.What's going on here? Is there something we're missing? Also, I find it ridiculous that 42070 has so many obvious gaps, and yet the front axle is built in a way that is weaker and wastes parts. Another asinine detail, there is excessive color coding, yet Lego sees fit to remove the bag numbering. What the heck?

Edited by Saberwing40k

41 minutes ago, Saberwing40k said:

keeping wheels on the ground than absorbing shocks

Can you enlighten me on the differences between these two? I'm not very familar with this topic.

3 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

I can't believe that Uwe Wabra designed both 8258, which was great, and 42070, which is an overpriced turd.

I fully agree with your assessment of 42070 (although I absolutely love the outriggers). As for the designer, I'm pretty sure he was pressured by marketing to follow some weird logic that has little to do with quality builds and plenty to do with TLG's bottom line.

But Uwe Wubra is the senior designer... 

This set and his previous set, the Porsche, calls for a job review imho or perhaps you're right and it's all about Lego's bottom line (like any other company), but that means Lego is really lowering its standards (less quality), which is not a good thing.

And I haven't even started about the absurd MSRP on this set, which should have never been higher than the Volvo. 

Thank both you and Sariel for the great reviews of this set, such a shame it costs so much.  Hopefully it will drop to $200 or below so I can pick it up.  And I think they could have made the model itself a lot more interesting if it had Tatra like independent suspension and 6 of the large shock absorbers, that would have made it a great parts pack and more interesting to build/play with.  

@Jim thank you for the great review

Edited by Paknaloid
Asked a silly question, realised answer was included in review

Thank you @Jim for the review! It is very interesting! Photos are HQ, professional and nice to see!

Edited by Aleh

Thanks for an excellent review Jim!

So far I am not able to make a clear go/not go opinion on 42070. However, I think, like most of you guys it's overpriced. On the other hand, it's quite functional. Yeah, I know, some parts appear unfinished. One of the things I really like with this model, is the overall appearance/main design. In short: Main pros.: Good design, good functions, Main con: Price.

Edited by kolbjha

This set is a big skip for me. The lack of proper suspension is a real turn off, if you will for me. But even so the price point is ludicrously high imo. I understand that power function elements are high priced, but as noted the set should still be much, much less expensive. I'm skipping this one, not worth my money. :sceptic:

I have bought it today in a local store for 189 Euro. I will build it this week and i am exicted what this model brings to the table. Lots of Opinions and critisicm about the truck.

Lets see how it works.

1 minute ago, Duky said:

I have bought it today in a local store for 189 Euro. I will build it this week and i am exicted what this model brings to the table. Lots of Opinions and critisicm about the truck.

Lets see how it works.

Enjoy! (or not hehe)

Like I said before; you can have tons of fun with this set....if you take some time to mod it. I am still planning on doing a rebuild of the chassis to make it full RC without the need to switch the functions. Hopefully I can find the time to do that.

15 minutes ago, Jim said:

Enjoy! (or not hehe)

Like I said before; you can have tons of fun with this set....if you take some time to mod it. I am still planning on doing a rebuild of the chassis to make it full RC without the need to switch the functions. Hopefully I can find the time to do that.

I'm building the set right now, finished the gearbox and wheel setup. I'm not a (great) MODder, but I see possibilities to make a setup like 8043, with 3 motors controlling 2 functions each, and an M-motor to switch between functions. There seems to be enough room to cram in two M-Motors, by removing/simplyfing parts of the gearbox.

Thanks for a great review

The tyres I want, maybe the dark azure parts and the New red technic brackets, but not for that price