ZCerberus

**Book II Challenge V Official Announcment**

31199965183_5fb4c1858f_o.jpg

(Credit Ska for the challenge poster!)

The lines between guilds do not exist for this challenge.  This is simply a battle between good and evil!  This means there is no need to declare your side, simply join into which ever category you would like to show your skills, Guild pride, and storytelling skills.

There is NO requirement you build for the side of right and anyone who is so inclined may attempt to turn Historica on its head and allow Raavage- (or another darker power?) to claim the throne!  Prizes will be awarded to the top build from the Spire and the top build from the Alliance in each category, the best between the two sides to win the top prize, and the other the runner up prize, but you can only win one prize in this contest!  There is no requirement you build only for one side or even that you build for the same side in each category, but you may only make one entry per side per category.  That means you could have a total of 6 valid entries.  I will not announce any winner until all categories are closed and winners of multiple categories, if any, claim their prizes.

Contest is open to anyone who wants to wade into this battle, though hardened Historica veterans will have an obvious advantage!

Entry deadlines are staggered, so please read carefully below and plan accordingly!

Category A- Vignette Category: Riders of Historica

The coming storm has finally arrived. Historica torn asunder and now the True King of Historica calls all his faithful to his banner. However, there are many pretenders to the throne, and they too have sensed a great conclusion to this period of civil strife. In this task you will depict a rider for the side you support. He or she must stand as courier to the peoples of your region. In your vignette, display this rider in their mission or if you are feeling a little darker- the Spire thwarting stopping a rider from delivering the message!

Size: 16 x 16 or equivalent square stud area with reasonable overhang

Prizes:

1) Top prize for best overall build- Custom Orc minifigure and 2 x Laketown Guard polybag (30216)

2) Second prize for side that did not win the top prize in this category- Custom Orc minifigure and Dragon Knights Battle Pack (850889)

Deadline: Entries will be accepted so long as it is still February 19, 2017 somewhere in the world.

Category B- Building Category: The Gears of War

Cry “Havoc!”, and let slip the dogs of war. Battle has bloodier Historica for far too long, and now the end of this current conflict approaches. Swords have become sharper, arrows have been refined, and now, even the mechanisms of war have grown in great proportion. Surely, the side with the strongest machines of war shall dominate the battle field. In this category you will build a war machine, the likes Historica has never seen before, and prepare to deploy it for battle in the name of your King! But first, of course, you have to build it! Show the process of building a war machine. It should be evident that the machine is under construction, or recently completed, still upon the grounds of the siege workshop.

Size: 32 x 32 or equivalent square stud area with reasonable overhang

Prizes:

1) Top prize for best overall build- Custom Orc minifigure and The Gatehouse Raid (70402)

2) Second prize for side that did not win the top prize in this category- Custom Orc minifigure and Mirkwood Elf Army (79012)

Deadline: Entries will be accepted so long as it is still March 19, 2017 somewhere in the world.

Category C- The Story Challenge: The True King of Historica

Prophecy is a powerful guide. Some say the gods give people the true path so that they know to be prepared, but others say that men create prophecy to self-fulfil. All of that matters not in the great game of thrones. Historica must be united again, and there is only one person for the job – the thing is, there are many bards who tell the story of this new king. You are one of these bards. In unlimited builds and story, tell us who the new Monarch of Historica is- and let’s not rule out Raavage!  Will his cunning carry the day?  Has he found an artifact to enslave all of Historica? Will the infighting amongst the guilds prove too powerful to overcome?  Tell us who the True King of Historica is and how this Book II will end!

Size: No size restriction.  Make your story compelling!

Prizes:

1) Top prize for best overall build by judge vote- Custom Orc minifigure and The Goblin King Battle (79010)

2) Second prize for side that did not win the top prize in this category by judge vote- Custom Orc minifigure and Attack of the Wargs (79002)

3) Best overall story by popular vote- story will become the official lore of Historica!

Deadline: Entries will be accepted so long as it is still April 30, 2017 somewhere in the world.

If you would like to know how the story for Challenge V has developed to this point, check out the preludes:

The Falling Darkness

Victory and Vengeance

Never Look Back

Retribution

The Resistance Unites

Huntress Lodge

Wyvern Welp Swamp

Desert Tournament

Alguroran

Beggar's Inn

We, of course, reserve the right to clarify any rules, extend any deadlines, add to the prize pool (but not take away of course) or make any other changes in the interest of fairness and for the good of the Guilds.

Good luck Guildies!

This is shaping out to be very suspenseful!  I have some things in mind for the categories.

I really like that you've left it open for us to not declare for a specific side... gives some nice options here.  Looking forward to building!

Let the battles begin! May the cheaters and bad guys WIN!!! *Insert maniacal laugh* :devil:

This is gonna be a great contest. Good luck to everyone!

Edited by Leonardo da Bricki
Edit: spelling error

YAAAAAAAAAASSSSS!

this is great :D I really hoped to see this when waking up on new year's morning, and there it is. I have to finish my pretty large build that was late for CCC first, then I can unleash myself... I feel a story coming already :D

I assume the cat c  builds and story have to be in one single thread? Can we include our main character? And what if our story includes killing raavage as conclusion, would that be allowed? I mean if it gets chosen as part of the canon lore it would mean he's officially dead.

so if I decide a Mitgardian becomes king and I make a good story around it, then it becomes canon ? :P seems appealing. Already starting with the first challenge. Does the spire know about this king? because then it would be safer to carry the message vocally

5 hours ago, Jacob Nion said:

I assume the cat c  builds and story have to be in one single thread? Can we include our main character? And what if our story includes killing raavage as conclusion, would that be allowed? I mean if it gets chosen as part of the canon lore it would mean he's officially dead.

All in one thread- you may include whatever characters you like, but keep in mind it needs the votes to become cannon so including characters other than your own will generally help.  Want to kill Raavage? Good luck- but totally up to you.  I wouldn't kill off another GoH member's character- but Raavage is really a more general figure, not anyone's character, so kill him off if it makes sense!

1 minute ago, ZCerberus said:

but keep in mind it needs the votes to become cannon so including characters other than your own will generally help.

Can you explain this please ZC?

28 minutes ago, ZCerberus said:

All in one thread- you may include whatever characters you like, but keep in mind it needs the votes to become cannon so including characters other than your own will generally help.  Want to kill Raavage? Good luck- but totally up to you.  I wouldn't kill off another GoH member's character- but Raavage is really a more general figure, not anyone's character, so kill him off if it makes sense!

Well, first of all I want to say that I love that category. Having the opportunity to create a part of the official lore of Historica is incredible.

I just fear that this could be to the detriment of the primary guidelines pf GoH. What if I come up with a story about my character being incredible awesome and saving the day by killing raavage, saving the heir and having the characters of all other people standing at the sidelines cheering for me?

Of course nobody would actually do this (I hope) and it's natural to ask other people before using their characters, but there's still the fact that in the end several people will put effort into their story and end up having it marked as uncanonical. In former challenges it was about showing your own part in the great story, and even if there was only one winner, the other stories were still part of what happened because they didn't hurt the main story. 

But I really don't want to flay somebody here (except Raavage). I just don't want anyone to be upset.

2 hours ago, Gunman said:

Can you explain this please ZC?

The best story will be decided by popular vote, not by the judges.  This means a story about just your character may not garner the support of the masses and won't became lore. Best build/stories by judge vote will earn the physical prizes in category C.

We reserve the right to make a correction if there seems to be vote fixing or something unsavory going on.

1 hour ago, Jacob Nion said:

I just fear that this could be to the detriment of the primary guidelines pf GoH. What if I come up with a story about my character being incredible awesome and saving the day by killing raavage, saving the heir and having the characters of all other people standing at the sidelines cheering for me?

Historica is as much yours as it is the guil leaders.  We obviously need a little structure to keep stories and threads consistent and prevent someone from killing off everyone to live alone on Historica as King, but we also need to give you guys opportunities to shape the world in seismic ways as well at times.

We left a lot of threads to help give you guys a jumping point, but we can't think of everything, so now it's your turn.

Again, all of Historica will have a voice in the vote, so make sure you write something compelling that people will want to vote for.

The leaders will adjust if there is something clearly not in the best interest of Historica going on in the vote, but we don't anticipate such issues.

After reading it somewhere, I'm guessing for Cat. A and B LDD is not allowed and for Cat. C LDD is allowed? I might build Cat. A in real bricks, although I don't have a 16x16 baseplate. Also, for Cat. C, is it possible to make yourself the new king of Historica? 

2 hours ago, Brandon Stark said:

After reading it somewhere, I'm guessing for Cat. A and B LDD is not allowed and for Cat. C LDD is allowed? I might build Cat. A in real bricks, although I don't have a 16x16 baseplate. Also, for Cat. C, is it possible to make yourself the new king of Historica? 

You can use LDD I suppose, but you'll score more points with the judges if you build in real brick for sure.

In GoH we have generally not enforced the LEGO parts only rule and we have allowed 3rd party accessories and foliage but generally not clone brands.

As for making yourself King- read through this thread for your answer.  Your character could become king, but that does not mean you personally would garner any additional power.  

I real do think such a choice is the wrong approach, but do what suits you.

Well this is just great. As soon as I go on holiday everthing starts up and becomes real busy. :P Meanwhile im stuck in a beautiful paradise surrounded by no bricks. This sounds so cool though, I can't wait to get started :D

19 hours ago, Jacob Nion said:

Well, first of all I want to say that I love that category. Having the opportunity to create a part of the official lore of Historica is incredible.

Of course nobody would actually do this (I hope) and it's natural to ask other people before using their characters, but there's still the fact that in the end several people will put effort into their story and end up having it marked as uncanonical. In former challenges it was about showing your own part in the great story, and even if there was only one winner, the other stories were still part of what happened because they didn't hurt the main story. 

But I really don't want to flay somebody here (except Raavage). I just don't want anyone to be upset.

It has worked before, Challenge V, book 1 was the same way, Z won, so his story became cannon, although many people wrote stories.  Maybe we could come up with a cleaner resolution...

Thinking about that, I think in my story for that challenge I said that there were many Revolwords, and all the stories were leading to killing one... so then it was all canon! lol. 

But really, it is kind of like a series of myths about the great war to remove ravage, over time there are going to be different stories, some true, some exaggerated, some completely false!

I get your drift @SkaForHire

I have already a story in mind. It will be long, exhausting and I probably won't finish it in time. But I will do my best.

Edited by Jacob Nion