Sign in to follow this  
ZCerberus

Book II Challenge V Prelude: The Desert Tournament

In the Kaliphlin desert-

The Desert Tournament.

28571068074_0d4f67723a_c.jpg
Anzar approached the ostrich joust tournament to seek out his old friend Dugal.  Kaliphlin had been an interesting place as of late.  The civil war in Kaliphlin had divided the free cities beyond anything they could have imagined.  The Desert King promised amnesty to all who would fight with him against the Spire, but the supporters of the High Council and Ulandus had been slow to join the cause.  Anzar wonder if one, or both were allied with Spire as his uncle had suggested.  If anyone knew, it would be Dugal.

Today’s tournament was held a former Ulandus outpost under the watchful eye of the Desert King’s lieutenant, Miser Kalick.  Ostrich jousting had been one of many methods the Desert King employed to bring the factions of Kaliphlin back together.

Anzar approached Dugal, who stood in the shadows at the entrance to the stands.

30913146043_72b25b3d87_c.jpg

Anzar: “My old friend!  Keeping that delicate skin out of the sun?”

Dugal: “Anzar, my pasty friend!  I thought Darklanders withered when they saw the sun!”

Kaliphlin was still reeling from the punches it had sustained, and it could hardly take another.  Anzar had long been a friend and ally, but with the civil war raging in Nocturnus, his presence here could mean nothing but trouble.  Dugal was immediately on edge.

Anzar: “Let me dispense with the mystery my old friend and cut right to the heart of the matter.”

Dugal took a quick survey of the stands before motioning to continue.

Anzar:  “Was Ulandus or the High Council conspiring with the Spire?”

Dugal immediately mistook the question as an accusation.  Amnesty was not a large enough carrot and threats were not a large enough stick in the post war Kaliphlin landscape to get even those loyal to the Desert King to bring their spears to aid the Darklanders.  The Desert King had promised Kaliphlin’s full support, but the promise seemed empty in the months that followed.    Even if the factions weren’t with the Spire, Kalphlin had been weaken enough to deny the Desert King any sort of ability to assist the Nocturnian rebels.  The civil war in Kaliphlin had split the loyalties of all, and despite his best efforts, the victorious Desert King couldn’t unit the people against the Spire.  It was hard to believe, but Dugal’s mind began to race.  Spire collaborators?  Dugal’s head snapped to the left and the right before grabbing Anzar’s arm and tugging him into the shadows of the stands with him.

Dugal: “Of this I have not heard, but something, whether it be the scars of the civil war or something more nefarious, has kept the people here from rallying around the Desert King and his call to help your resistance.  I fear that the civil war has made the Desert King unable to unite the free cities.  However, whatever made you believe you could come into the South and accuse the Desert King of failing to fulfill-“

Anzar cut Dugal off abruptly.

Anzar: “I am not here to make accusations friend, I have come seeking information.  My uncle Breggan sent word of a greater power than the Desert King, a power that may finally galvanize support against the Spire.  He has called on me to gather a representative from each Guild to meet at Begger’s Inn to find the truth!”

Dugal took the bait and immediately returned Anzar’s volley.

Dugal: “And what truth is that Dragon Master?”

Anzar: “The Spire has united the enemies of all the guilds against us.  The Drow in Avalonia, the Algus in the North, and those who oppose the Desert King here in the South.  I sought your council to discover if the Spire had dealings here as well.”

Something had to be done, but Dugal didn’t understand how he could help, especially since the Desert King already opposed the spire and he could not even unite his own supporters.  Even if the Spire was not pulling the strings of Ulandus or the High Council, the free cities could never stand against a united force of Raavage, the Algus and Drow.  His mind raced and his fear grew.  Dugal pondered the statement for a moment.  Whatever apprehension he felt faded as the words poured out.

Dugal: “There is something nefarious going on in the South.  No matter what the Desert King does, the people are reluctant to join.  Perhaps the Spire has influence here, but I do not see how a meeting with the other Guild representatives will help unite Kaliphlin!”

Anzar: “What if I told you the Desert King wasn’t the only King making this request?”

Dugal immediately knew what Anzar was implying.

Dugal: “The heir to Cedrica?  The King of Historica has been found?”

Anzar: “I know only that my uncle tells me it is so.  This is why I need your council at Begger’s Inn.  If the King has returned, will Kaliphlin unite against Raavage and his army of darkness?”

Dugal needn’t a moment to respond.

Dugal: “If the King has returned, Kaliphlin will fight.”

It's quite fun to see a Kaliphlin build from you, your last one was a tower? The tents are excellent, especially how you set them at angles :thumbup: The main building also looks quite nice, and very fitting for Kaliphlin :classic:

The build is as always ery cool, but what is really getting me excited is the son of the High King :excited:

Bring on that new challenge! :moar:

Very nice build ZC, I really like the way you did the hangings over the stands, and the colors also give it a very traditional Kaliphlin feel!  The story is getting interesting too!  Only, I hope no one expects me to side with the Desert King upon any consideration... :grin:

17 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

Only, I hope no one expects me to side with the Desert King upon any consideration... :grin:

That being said, I also doubt that after the Kaliphlin civil war, either the high counsel or ulandus have any interest in another war, much less in nocturnus whether for or against the spire. And because of nocturnus meddling in kaliphlin affairs, certain kaliphlin members can quite care less now who rules nocturnus as long as they remain in nocturnus.

Edited by Mike S

awesome build and love the way you write!

.. but hey I guess I was too quick in reading all of the lore and now I can remember [or maybe I just missed it?] - what's the deal with the heir to Cedrica? :blush:

35 minutes ago, Mike S said:

*snip* ... as long as they remain in nocturnus.

Doesn't that seem like the problem though?  My spies indicate the Spire have no interest in claiming the Darklands alone...  Imagine snow in the South withAlgus flags waving over Petrara... Or Raavage being fanned by palm leaves at Eastgate!

I always wondered what Ostrich Jousting would be like..I guess I have a good idea now haha. Great build!

44 minutes ago, ZCerberus said:

Doesn't that seem like the problem though?  My spies indicate the Spire have no interest in claiming the Darklands alone...  Imagine snow in the South withAlgus flags waving over Petrara... Or Raavage being fanned by palm leaves at Eastgate!

Well the news network has been disrupted in Kaliphlin but I had heard that the bearded ladies of the north had sent the algus packing back north. As far as Raavage being fanned by palm leaves at Eastgate, well perhaps those magic mushroom in Nocturnus are in bloom and giving grand delusions. If the desert king is hated in kaliphlin how much more Raavage should he try to crown himself lord of kaliphlin.

perhaps if Raavage wants to inspire some action against himself, he should ally himself with the desert king and renew the war against the kaliphlin resistance.

What sas!  Losing doesn't look good on you.  You better get used to it though.  Darkness will reign soon enough slave!

Beautiful Kali build, Z!

Jousting on ostriches is an interesting idea and fits Kaliphlin very well!  The angled tent stands are my favorite build detail (in Kaliphlin's colors, especially)!  It seems that you could be in any guild just as well as another with your mastery of techniques.

Interesting story line with much to look forward to!  These prelude builds are great!

Since Dugal's armies have killed at least one pretender king of Historica already (battle of the wither woods link here), there must be some real confidence that this new heir is true. However, perhaps there is a chance that the Desert King falls on his own sword in the battle to help the resistance, and the High Council regain its rightful place.

Since the war has been over, Dugal's main mission was to keep civilian blood from shedding throughout Kaliphlin while still the East remains its independence.