What have you operated?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Have you operated a Technic set in real life?

• Yes, and that's why I bought the set.
    • Yes, but I haven't bought the set.
    • No, I haven't.

How many of you have operated a set made in Technic in real life? Not necessarily the exact brand, but anything like bulldozers, excavators, etc, and did that convince you to but the set, even if it wasn't that great? Also, for the sake of the discussion, I'm not including any "everyday" vehicles, like cars, half tons, etc.

Edited by Kman860

I have operated a go-cart-buggy and have bought one so does that count :classic:

Also now that this topic was made I want to operate a Claas, Bucket Wheel excavator, and a Porsche...

I've driven several diggers such as the JCB 3x, various forklifts and tractors, but had technic versions before I could (age wise) or did drive the real thing! Maybe it should be what technic sets do you have that you'd like to drive the real thing! Now I have the technic Porsche there's an asperation, or bugger still a helicopter :-)

I've only really operated forklifts, scissor lifts and cherry pickers. Didn't really have an effect on making want to buy an official set but it did make me want to build my own.

Having worked on major engineering, and construction projects for a good number of years I have a good working knowledge of how to work most construction and engineering plant, and have at times been called upon to use it, although for some reason the men get upset when a mere woman plays with their big boys toys. :tongue:

In my last year at high school, or our equivalent to that, I went to the construction machine operator line. Due to that, I have driven

- excavator, tracked and wheeled

- hauler

- small type of mining truck/dump truck

- wheel loader

- backhoe loader

- road grader

- bulldozer

- tractor (shortly)

- forklift (shortly)

Edited by Error404

I worked in a sand quarry using everything from diggers to the crushers so buying all Technic machinery is a must for me, that was until I got into trucks now its all Technic trucks. Its a must buy for the bucket wheel excavator for the B model.

I've driven several things, mostly small ones, but I've operated boom lifts, scissor lifts, backhoes, excavators, and fork lifts. But, it's actually the reverse order, my interest in Technic led me to working with the vehicles in real life.

I have operated a go-cart-buggy and have bought one so does that count :classic:

Also now that this topic was made I want to operate a Claas, Bucket Wheel excavator, and a Porsche...

:sweet: The only thing I've operated is a tractor, but not as big as the Claas, it's a subcompact Cub Cadet.

I have only driven tractors, one of them was a normal one used for agriculture, and the other had a crane, it was more like a cherry picker, and in a very weird and lucky situation, i used a backhoe loader.

I've driven several diggers such as the JCB 3x, various forklifts and tractors, but had technic versions before I could (age wise) or did drive the real thing! Maybe it should be what technic sets do you have that you'd like to drive the real thing! Now I have the technic Porsche there's an asperation, or bugger still a helicopter :-)

Or a space shuttle...? :)

I have operated a garden tractor <VBG> and a Go-Cart and I watched a friend use a backhoe to dig a trench for me, and I dodged a fork lift in a warehouse store and a factory where I worked many, many years ago.

Does ant of that count?

Andy D

I have operated a large number of construction and agricultural machinery: moto-grader, back-hoe, skid-steer loader, wheel-loader, crawler excavators, multiple dozers, combine and other harvesters, various tractors ... my interest primarily is on noise and vibration aspects, but it's easy to get drawn-in by the sheer complexity of the mechanisms and intricate hydraulic circuitry.

I've operated forklift, order picker, farm tractor, and go-kart. But I haven't bought the Technic sets of them, except the 8063 Farm Tractor. I bought 8063 for parts than building a farm tractor. There should be an option for Yes, but I didn't buy the sets. :wink:

I've operated forklift, order picker, farm tractor, and go-kart. But I haven't bought the Technic sets of them, except the 8063 Farm Tractor. I bought 8063 for parts than building a farm tractor. There should be an option for Yes, but I didn't buy the sets. :wink:

Done :sweet:

I've driven a garden tractor, a quad, a dirt trike, and a dirt bike. But for most of those, I don't have the set. For the quad, though, I wound up getting the pull-back motor quad, but not because I'd ridden the real thing. (Actually, now that I think about it, I almost want to get some of these because I've used the real thing. You aren't secretly an agent for Lego, right :wink: ?

I've driven a garden tractor, a quad, a dirt trike, and a dirt bike. But for most of those, I don't have the set. For the quad, though, I wound up getting the pull-back motor quad, but not because I'd ridden the real thing. (Actually, now that I think about it, I almost want to get some of these because I've used the real thing. You aren't secretly an agent for Lego, right :wink: ?

No, but if I got offered a job there I would take it :laugh:

Just what I was thinking!!

I "operate" every day a Porsche.....but haven't received my GT3 RS yet as Lego wants me to wait LOL

And then a forklift, a lorry, a tractor similar to Class ( since I was 14 years old :wub: :wub: ), go-karts, a foldable crane, a front loader (I was 11 years old :wacko: )

Since I work in the army it's unlikely LEGO will ever release equipment I work with.

That being said, I occasionally operated a wheel loader, what a fun to drive it was. My father already bought set 8853 sometime around my birth, but I really wanted 8459 when it was released, I actually still do. The loaders after that were all disappointments according to reviews, at least they didn't convince me to buy them. I bought the instructions of MLonger's excellent Volvo loader and I might build it some day.

And this is why TLG only makes vehicles (in the technic theme), if you recognize it, you will buy it faster. Right now, most votes are on the first option: Yes, it was the reason i bought it

I "operate" every day a Porsche.....but haven't received my GT3 RS yet as Lego wants me to wait LOL And then a forklift, a lorry, a tractor similar to Class ( since I was 14 years old :wub: :wub: ), go-karts, a foldable crane, a front loader (I was 11 years old :wacko: )

You sound like me, except I don't drive Porsche's everday, I'd like to :laugh:, and I've been driving a tractor since I was 15 (but the one I drive is a subcompact).

Since when were supercars "everyday" vehicles? I'd happily take a Porsche 911 GT3 RS any day... Erm... Do go-karts count :tongue: ?

Well, I'll count supercars in the poll (edited first post accordingly), and yes, go-carts count :sweet:

And this is why TLG only makes vehicles (in the technic theme), if you recognize it, you will buy it faster. Right now, most votes are on the first option: Yes, it was the reason i bought it

That's a theory I had, that's more or less what I wanted to find out though.

I'am working as service technieker for Hyundai Heavy equipment ,our company has dealership for whole Belgium .

So the 8043 and other heavy equipment build in Lego is not strange for me .