Sign in to follow this  
MKJoshA

Cliffside Catastrophe - Book II, Challenge 3, Cat. C

Wyndor's Saga:

See what happened prior to this: You Need Logs?

As soon as they had made it down from the pass, and the border dividing the two guilds, Rothgar and the other dwarves made their way through the forests just below the mountain pass. They traveled due west, following the border of the guilds toward Tradewind Bay. They had to travel mostly at night to avoid Avalonian patrols. The dwarves were worried by the frequency of the patrols. No-one should have known that there were dwarves making their way out of Mitgardia. But the amount of armed men and elves seemed to show that someone had found out about the dwarves’ plan to attack the drow. When they were about a mile from the coast, Rothgar stopped his band of warriors to go over the final aspects of their plan. The dwarves of Dalig Ulv had received word that the drow had been shipping troops and supplies up and down the ill defended coastline. They also had information showing the traveling schedule of a certain drow general who would be accompanying one of the shipments. They decided the best course of action would be to attack the boats from land. After all the details were decided on, Rothgar gave some final words.

16236149631_0c08ce3f7a_c.jpg

“Men of the earth!” Rothgar began, getting cheers from his fellow dwarves. “Brothers! We are but a stone’s throw from the border of our lands. But simply because we are dwarves, the ruling council of Mitgardia says we can’t be here! Well, I say we are a free people! I don’t care if a bunch of tight-wearing elves are worried about us befouling their land. We have as much right to travel the land as they do! We won’t let them stop us from attacking the bane of our people! We will pursue these drow to the ends of the world!”

16052153577_19ddac499a_z_d.jpg

The dwarves were really in a frenzy now. They quick marched the rest of the way to the cliff and prepared the ballistas they had been building. The drow ship soon came into view.

16050478378_88a8a4198d_c.jpg

“Steady brothers!” Rothgar shouted. “Wait until they are within range before you attack!”

16050470868_990b7ca6b4_z_d.jpg

Telchar, a dark haired dwarf who shaved the sides of his head, ran up to Rothgar and said, “The drow have a captive on the boat. Look!”

Rothgar peered out and saw that there was indeed a poor elf chained to the mast.

15618132743_0939b203c8_z_d.jpg

“If we fire on the boat, we are sure to kill the elf as well!” exclaimed Telchar.

16237990105_18abff789c_z_d.jpg

Rothgar squinted his eyes in deep thought. After a few moments he said, “We cannot let that stop us. Elves still frequent these ruins and our presence will soon be known. We must strike the drow now. Fire!”

16237163102_3581643759_z_d.jpg

16237979995_f6c608c9ba_z_d.jpg

The drow were armed with short bows crafted from the horns of mountain goats. They were powerful bows when used by someone strong enough to pull them, but they were still no match for the dwarves artillery fire. Two drow fell to the first two bolts fired before Rothgar ordered the next bolts to be set on fire before being launched. The boat soon collapsed from the flames and sunk into the shallow waters with all on board.

OoC: Time. I wish I had more of it to give to this contest. I would have built 2 or 3 more MOCs for Cat. C depicting more of this story. I also would have made the boat bigger and put it in more water. As it is, it's kind of scrunched together. I hope you like what I had time to build though. Here are a few more pictures:

16050461208_880cc0d95a_m_d.jpg16237973895_82a30e634c_m_d.jpg15615559394_065c31ca6f_m_d.jpg

Great brickbuilt ship, nice columns, and I especially like that loose brick circle you made. Those ballistae are also compact and nice looking.

Nice series of builds, MKJ!

The trees are interesting with the upside-down grass technique. The ballistas are simple but very effective and are a great idea. The broken columns of the old ruins set a nice atmosphere for the cliff of attack. Nice parts use on the ship, it makes for a very Medieval-looking cog.

Poor elf, but one cannot expect dwarves to care about an elf considering the relationship between the races...

I really like the ruined shrine. The pillars and circular cheese slope thingy are particularly nice. Any chance of an overhead shot of it?

Glad you guys like it!

This is the closest I have to a top-down shot of the floor:

15618123353_b1f76607cf.jpg

Nice Cat. C entry, MKJ, as mentioned above, that round cheese floor is great, and your drow ship is very nice! :classic:

A lot of good stuff in this! I really like the forest (looks very boreal), the ruins and the ship is of course always the icing on any cake!

I´m such a huge fan of those trees in scene one! Love the barren look under the trees!

The ruin is looking very good and the ship is great!

A great series here, definitely a lot to enjoy! The dwarves look great (that warhammer is awesome!) as do those ruins. The broken white pillars and the cracked circular floor are nicely down. The story is quite suspenseful too! Awesome entry MKJosh!

Edited by MassEditor

Very nice build, it looks awesome! I should also mention that the dwarf with the ponytail mohawk looks badass! :wink: