Sign in to follow this  
legoman19892

An Elementary Class Studied 600 LEGO Sets, What They Found Has Gotten

Great, thanks for posting the link, an interesting read, nothing really new but nice to see TLG reaction. But with regards to colors, as quoted in the article "As one 4th grader put it, “Lego Friends has tooooo much pink and purple”.", my 3rd grade daughter actually wanted to see more pink and purple during our recent visit to our local PAB wall, so the bottom line is that there will always be some group of users wanting something different.

Interesting article.

I think with the Friends line expanding recently, these sorts of letters are getting more common.

I think some of the Friends sets are awfully stereotypical, but others aren't too bad. Remember the Belville line? The sets had ridiculous Price-to-Piece ratios and the designs weren't usually that good. Whereas Friends has some good designs and the prices are about average.

Also I noticed one of the items on the list read 'Stop blowing everything up'. Is this referring to some of the play features TLG always adds in?

Who would have thunk it? Different people want different things...

My daughter also wants more pinks and purples to build with. That shows that she happens to like those colors and wants to use them. Friends sets are hitting it home as far as I can tell. Yes, there are some play features that may be a bit too girly or stereotypical, but overall they are getting a good grip on that part of the market.

. Yes, there are some play features that may be a bit too girly or stereotypical, but overall they are getting a good grip on that part of the market.

My 9 yr old daughter really really likes the Friends theme because of the colors and subject matters, but she also really really likes Technic, especially if its motorized, and even going as far as asking for my 41999 as a good-behavior reward (like that's ever going to happen :grin: ).

My 9 yr old daughter really really likes the Friends theme because of the colors and subject matters, but she also really really likes Technic, especially if its motorized, and even going as far as asking for my 41999 as a good-behavior reward (like that's ever going to happen :grin: ).

My 41999 is still in the box. Reading this perhaps I should keep it there

my 10 & 13 year old girls are hooked on the Friends and Disney sets, they have nice updated designs. i think this was a great class project, with some excellent results, change would be nice to see. :laugh:

This is a bad study, a biased one with biased results. How many licensed sets did they count? Counting all yellow minifigs as European? This is just teachers brainwashing kids and making a clickbait article to be spread on facebook.

Make a new study and remove any licensed themes and all "girl"-sets and then we can talk. Its still a pretty big non-issue since you can easily make your own females. I think we can agree that we need More ghost and monster rep!

My niece is 11 and loves all the Emma related Friends sets. She also loves to play Minecraft, so I have been getting those for her as gifts. All her friends go straight to the Minecrafts when they come over I hear too...

How many licensed sets did they count? Counting all yellow minifigs as European?

Exactly. The class obivously needs to look at what kind of set is what, it wouldn't be hard to make the connection that almost any set with realistic skin tones are based off something else. And I don't recall Europeans being yellow :laugh:

I think we can agree that we need More ghost and monster rep!

Petition! :thumbup:

This is a bad study, a biased one with biased results. How many licensed sets did they count? Counting all yellow minifigs as European? This is just teachers brainwashing kids and making a clickbait article to be spread on facebook.

Make a new study and remove any licensed themes and all "girl"-sets and then we can talk. Its still a pretty big non-issue since you can easily make your own females. I think we can agree that we need More ghost and monster rep!

Totally agree. They really should leave products out of the discussion. Lego products are designed to sell and in case no one noticed for the last 30 years made in Europe. Lego does not make an issue out of gender or race despite attempts of people to insinuate it. Even in the response letter from Lego they pointed out the reason why Lego mini-figures are yellow. Next issue they will think of, why are there not enough of a particular profession...

And I don't recall Europeans being yellow :laugh:

Got that right!

Edited by Wodanis

This is a bad study, a biased one with biased results. How many licensed sets did they count? Counting all yellow minifigs as European? This is just teachers brainwashing kids...

I completely agree. In fact, I find this article disturbing. Instead of teaching 9 and 10 year olds (is that what US 4th and 5th graders are?) fundamentals such as maths, English, science, history, geography and foreign languages, they're filling their heads with political dogma. Rather than educating them to progress further in education and eventually productive careers, they're indoctrinating these kids to become mindless apparatchiks. If this is what passes for education in US schools, no wonder the rest of the developed world holds US primary and secondary education in such low regard.

Edited by AmperZand

They should have taught critical thinking, the methodology used in this and many more studies, even the serious ones, is terrible. I have noticed that there is far to much bad research practice and a poor knowledge base. Then again, it looks like an exercise in politicising children more than educating.

They should have taught critical thinking, the methodology used in this and many more studies, even the serious ones, is terrible. I have noticed that there is far to much bad research practice and a poor knowledge base. Then again, it looks like an exercise in politicising children more than educating.

You are absolutely right! Critical thinking skills are the skills most missing from people today, from children to adults. I used to stress critical thinking in the class I taught in the local community college.

Methodology in studies is also very important, the methodology will allow a study to reveal the truth, not just what you want the study to reveal.

I felt something was missing in this study, and I believe you hit it right square on the head. The teacher seemed to have had an axe to grind and so she/he devised a study and dragged her class into it.

There may be a study here, but this one is not it.

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy D

And I don't recall Europeans being yellow :laugh:

That would rather be a stereotype for Asian, that they request in their letter :D

Also, about high number of boys, if you count all minifigs with no visible hair as boys, there are a lot. But why can't those with a hat or a helmet be girls?

For those who do not know the site http://surmalegobros.com/

it contains drawings based on Lego sets, and interestingly many of the "neutral" minifigs are drawn as girls, e.g.:

http://surmalegobros.com/set/1496 ( http://brickset.com/sets/1496-1/Rally-Car )

http://surmalegobros.com/set/6524 ( http://brickset.com/sets/6524-1/Blizzard-Blazer )

also all the space sets: none of these figs have short hair, they just have helmets (and anyway there are girls with short hairs :D)

Though that all that becomes false with the recent trend of non-classic smiley faces: they are often more marked as "boys" indeed rather than being neutral :/

Pay attention class. Early warning signs that your beloved daughter will early on run off with your car, motorcycle, boat, plane, or some leather clad dude named Hans who is "in a band". Best to cut it off now and just get them hooked on Lego.

On a more serious note, just from reading that, does anyone else wonder what exactly some outside gender spectrum program was doing in our elementary schools? Why were 5th graders being rather disturbingly used as pawns in a groups agenda, and being put forth as the front men if you will? The request to get more diversification in toys is great. The group behind it and its methods is chilling.

Edited by Faefrost

Pay attention class. Early warning signs that your beloved daughter will early on run off with your car, motorcycle, boat, plane, or some leather clad dude named Hans

Haha, I am actually more concerned that I will find the two of them in my garage, dismantling my transmission :tongue: or otherwise "fixing' my mechanical equipment.

You should see the stuff elementary school teachers are teaching in the US these days; we are almost tempted to homeschool the kids so they can be taught relevant material and not indoctrinated on what PhD education graduates with no real-world experience think should be taught (I know some of these people - they need to justify their thesis' topics, and text book manufacturers are only too happy to participate to get more sales) . My point is that our generation turned out mostly OK with old style teaching, curriculum and values with a focus on basic education. Why do schools see the need to get beyond the 3R's at an elementary school level is beyond me.

Getting back on topic, LEGO is in business to sell stuff to kids, they know their market and what sells - this is a reflection on how we as parents raise our children, what values we instill in them, and what cultural influences they are exposed to. If you don't like it, don't buy it. My 6 yr old son wants Kingdom sets so he can 'rescue' the princess. My 9 yr old daughter wants Friends sets, and Technic - her goal is to motorize the Dolphin Cruiser :wacko: , and they are both looking forward to getting the Female Minifigure Research Scientist set. These wants will change as they get older and mature.

"These elementary school kids aren't learning proper methodology; this is deplorable"

*uses an n of 1 to indict the entire US education system*

On a more serious note, just from reading that, does anyone else wonder what exactly some outside gender spectrum program was doing in our elementary schools? Why were 5th graders being rather disturbingly used as pawns in a groups agenda, and being put forth as the front men if you will? The request to get more diversification in toys is great. The group behind it and its methods is chilling.

What were they doing there? It's in the article: "to help its schools become more gender-inclusive and address bias and bullying". The paranoid backlash such efforts get is exactly why they might have some raison d'être.

"These elementary school kids aren't learning proper methodology; this is deplorable"

*uses an n of 1 to indict the entire US education system*

What were they doing there? It's in the article: "to help its schools become more gender-inclusive and address bias and bullying". The paranoid backlash such efforts get is exactly why they might have some raison d'être.

You'll forgive me, but the most troubling thing in it is the "gender spectrum". Teaching kids to treat everyone properly and fairly is great. Teaching girls that they are just as good as boys better. But what is an outside agenda group doing teaching this stuff in an elementary school? How aware were the parents of this outside curriculum? Did they approve? Do the parents get briefed on whether the underlying message is one of empowerment and encouragement for girls or one of "gender spectrum equality" in other words "look class this is billy he is a polygamous preop veggisexual shouldn't we all want to be more like him!" I'm thinking one of those messages the parents of a 9 year old would have few issues with. The other? I don't know how the schools are in Canada, but more and more here in the states they seem to be being taken over by fringe groups with outside agendas that are using the kids more as a means on propaganda and societal change instead of actually educating them in the basic life skills they will need. And I'm sorry but this group just reeks of such an agenda. The goal may be noble. But they went into an elementary school and drummed up somebody else's kids to market it. That's heinous. Quite frankly it comes straight out of the Goebels play book. Which is chilling.

I think this article did come up with several important issues that TLC should face, however it neglects some marketing factors and the purposes of products designs, resulting in a somewhat arbitrary critisism. Some problems have been solved in newer themes, for example, CMF series solved the gender role problem, and Friends satisfies the needs of brick colors..If they could review every major theme and make some concrete suggestions, it can be closer to perfection.

The reply from TLC below is mostly postive and appropriate (hopefully they'll take it into practice). But I would disagree with some points:

> Lots of strong women and girls live in LEGO City

We do see some progress these years, but perhaps we've not reached the goal. Also, one possible problem is that the ladies scarcely get the highlights in ads.

> features Wyldstyle as a main character

Uh, let's neglect Uni-Kitty first, yes, indeed TLG have been adding heroines to each action themes, but the gender ratio in action themes is probably even worse than the City line. Nobody hates Eris, Nya or Wyldstyle, but the fact is that they're the only common visible lady minifig member in their own teams.

Edited by Dorayaki

The teachers use the students as pawns to further their own agendas. I love how Lego's response effectively said they were completely wrong about everything- which they were.

OK, after this I will let it rest <rant>I am all for teaching children about issues related to social justice, tolerance, and good citizenship. These are complex concepts and need to be taught in a structured way. Performing a 'math' exercise with a pre-determined outcome is not this. We see this type of subtle and not-so-subtle manipulation of values throughout the curriculum all during the school year. In my day math was math, geography was geography, and civics class (or the principal's office) was the place for learning about societal issues and behaviors</rant>

Excuse me while I go to BL and get a Hulk figure for my daughter so she can attack her brother's trains :devil: .

The teachers use the students as pawns to further their own agendas. I love how Lego's response effectively said they were completely wrong about everything- which they were.

I agree with most of the responses here, but this one from BirdOPrey5 nits the nail on the head without political correctness or beating around the bush... teachers start off with an agenda, then lead the kids to follow. The fact that "yellows" aren't specifically understood as being neutral is the first mistake of many these teachers made.

Sadly, this is what public schools in the U.S. are becoming. I've been out of public school for nearly 30 years, and still recall instances of teachers preaching to a captive audience. It's really sad, and it's why I talk to my kids about what they learned in class as much as possible, so that I can temper this kind of garbage with rational counter points and ask them to think about it.

Let's not let LEGO become a tool of political correctness, especially completely wrong political correctness.

Pay attention class. Early warning signs that your beloved daughter will early on run off with your car, motorcycle, boat, plane, or some leather clad dude named Hans who is "in a band". .

Utterly off topic, but there is going to be a whole generation of girls who will never, ever run off with a guy named Hans. Dead cert on that one.

And for the record: Schools are rarely about education these days, see the too-many-to-count incidents of children being "punished" for progressing too quickly. All education establishements have an agenda to herd children into the neat little boxes society wants us in. While you can buck the system without being called a delinquent, you have to be careful about it.

It is really really sad when children are used for political agendas! These type of studies really disgust me. Children in schools are no longer being encouraged to be creative, use imagination, and be unique. I bet the parents weren't even aware of this outside influence on curriculum in these kids classes.