Rufus

Review Review: 70816 Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

268 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Great review! If there's only one set I could get for the rest of the year, it'd be this one. I loved how informative you made this, especially for a younger AFOL who doesn't have any Classic Space sets. Now I want some!

I may not be a huge fan of Classic Space, but I am a HUGE fan of this review!

I can’t say enough good things about the quality and care that is reflected in this review. It is top notch, from the beautiful photography and presentation of the build, to the well turned phrasing and attention to detail. It makes me wistful for the days when reviews of this quality were more frequent on Eurobricks. It’s a labor of love to produce a review with this much care and attention, and in a time when most reviewers have gone to YouTube to make a buck, it is sorely missed. I don’t understand why TLG doesn’t support and encourage more reviewers like Rufus. I can’t imagine a better way to motivate purchase of a set than a review like this.

To that end, I’m also impressed with the set. As mentioned, I don’t have that childhood memory of Classic Space, but I can truly appreciate a set where it’s clear that so much care and attention has been invested by the designer. I had no intention of purchasing this set, but the quality of the design effort, as reflected by this review, has me reconsidering.

Awesome set and even more awesome review. :wub:

Thanks Rufus.

Great review! It brings back the Classic Space memories of when my son was younger and starting LEGO.

Andy D

The printed 1x4 tile is worthy of mention. In the instructions and set inventory, the printing is shown as 'MA-XXXXXXXX', so I assume the characters are chosen at random at the time of printing, effectively making each set unique. I'll be interested to see which codes others get.

Serial number?

Edited by Rufus
Inserted quote tags for clarity

Truly a review worthy of this cornerstone set. Only thing that impresses me more than the spaceship was the review itself. So much in-depth coverage I would have slapped a spoiler alert on it for all those anticipating the purchase. However I must approve the set and review both for inter(net)stellar travel!

Those Space-Octan stickers, I could find many a use for.

Counting down the days now to when I expect it at my local Lego Outlet.

This set looks awesome. I still really wish they hadn't made Benny broken and scratched, though. It would be nice if there was at least an alternative version of him where he looks like the real thing.

Its great, but maybe just a bit too much of details. Should be cleaner, more classic space design.

Excellent review. Will definitely help me in making a decision to buy it. Hopefully prices are confirmed soon!

The printed 1x4 tile is worthy of mention. In the instructions and set inventory, the printing is shown as 'MA-XXXXXXXX', so I assume the characters are chosen at random at the time of printing, effectively making each set unique. I'll be interested to see which codes others get.

Serial number?

Actually, a similar tile appears in 70813 Rescue Reinforcements. Assuming this one performs the same function, they are codes to unlock bonus content in The LEGO Movie video game.

Sometimes you want to blur out these kinds of unique codes that come in sets, because depending on what they're used for they might expire after one use. That's the case with the codes from the back of the Hero Cores from 2012–2013 Hero Factory sets, which were used in the "Breakout" and "Brain Attack" online games. I don't know if that's the case here — probably not, since that kind of functionality would require an online connection — but be wary about this in future reviews at least until you find out what the codes are supposed to be used for.

Good review in general. One correction — Emmet's Piece of Resistance is colored Flat Silver (by Bricklink's terminology) or 315 Silver Metallic (by the LEGO Group's terminology). The Bricklink name Pearl Dark Grey describes considerably darker colors like 148 Dark Grey Metallic or 316 Titanium Metallic, both of which the BIONICLE fan community often calls "gunmetal".

This is an amazing set that's definitely on my family's wish list. So much to love!

Absolutely wonderful review! Very well done and insightful! This is a must buy ship and the review confirmed what most of us already knew...BUY!!!

I normally skim over reviews like this but I actually read it all the way through. So many insights and details! I'm slightly too young to remember this era of Classic Space, but that doesn't mean I don't feel the same nostalgia. I really hope the Lego Ideas Exo Suit compliments this set, since I'll be getting both.

Thanks an incredibly detailed review Rufus. The EB commun

I was lucky to win this set as a prize in a speed-building competition at the Eurobricks Event 2014

... and it couldn't have gone to anyone better (I was so close :tongue: ).

Thanks for the incredibly detailed review of this already iconic set Rufus. I never had any classic space as a kid, but I guess I can't afford to pass on this.

Quite an amazing in-depth review! I'm actually very disappointed at the high number of stickers vs. printed parts (arrows, ship number, etc.). It's still looks like a great set, though, and I'll most-likely still buy it. Might wait for it to go on sale, though, rather than buying at full price.

Thank you for another fantastic review! Sadly it make me NOT want the set (whaat). Its just not enough Classic Space-alike. And it was the stickers that put it on the No-Go list. Too bad.

One word to sum up this amazing set: SPACESHIP! All jokes aside, I love this set and cannot wait to pick it up. I could do without the awful stickers, though. Thanks for the wonderful review, Rufus!

Thank you everyone for your comments! :wub:

Fantastic review Rufus! Interesting to see where we agreed and differed...for example I totally missed the fact that interesting greebly cavity houses Astro Kitty!

I think the choice of 2X4 rather than 2X3 slopes more likely relates to the desired design than the aftermarket.

Cheers, caperberry! To be fair, it isn't obvious from the box; you have to wait till step 83 if the instructions before you see Kitty in there: by which time you've finished the model and are swooshing it round the room!

Great review - thanks a lot for this! I am not yet sold on the set, I would have loved to see more space in the back or a separation function instead of the wingspan feature, as well as a ground control or some look alike friends for Benny. Also, I concur that the 4x4 technic parts under the wings look terrible.

It should be quite easy to modify: losing the wing mechanism will create a big gap, and eliminate the need for the Technic blocks (though I think you could replace them with plates anyway). I'm quite keen on the extending wings, though: it's a really nice feature in practice.

However I don't like the evil octan fighter and the pilot. Thanks for making this review!

I think that's only in there to give the big ship something to fire missiles at. :laugh: It's a nice little ship though - replace the red lights with yellow and you've got Blacktron (who were good guys, I think).

Great read! Thanks for all the insights. I am looking forward to build the ship myself soon.

Cheers Jan and thanks for commenting! Good to know you guys do read these! :laugh:

What? That is nonsense. I have thousands of CS bricks and +150 CS sets that I constantly MOC with and my son plays with. No broken parts here. In fact bricks from that era are of higher quality than the subpar stuff TLG puts out now

I've lost several plates from dismantling old sets - their clutch to other parts is stronger than newer bricks, so they need more force to remove, and I guess the rest is down to age. :def_shrug:

Do you know if it is a Lego exclusive or whether it will be available in retail?

That I don't know. I think it's got appeal enough for general release, but that's just my guess. :sceptic:

I was sitting right behind Rufus at the lap-speed building competition. Maybe I should have used some "fairplay" and shook his chair a little, since I only had 4 pieces left when he finished.

I'm really glad you didn't! :laugh:

And I really wish Lego would bring that crater base plate back into production.

Thanks mechamike! I think the crater plate will return shortly after the monorail. :sad:

I may not be a huge fan of Classic Space, but I am a HUGE fan of this review!

I think that's the nicest feedback I've ever had, thank you! It takes a huge effort to make these reviews, and feedback like that makes it all worthwhile. :wub:

Actually, a similar tile appears in 70813 Rescue Reinforcements. Assuming this one performs the same function, they are codes to unlock bonus content in The LEGO Movie video game.

Sometimes you want to blur out these kinds of unique codes that come in sets, because depending on what they're used for they might expire after one use. That's the case with the codes from the back of the Hero Cores from 2012–2013 Hero Factory sets, which were used in the "Breakout" and "Brain Attack" online games. I don't know if that's the case here — probably not, since that kind of functionality would require an online connection — but be wary about this in future reviews at least until you find out what the codes are supposed to be used for.

Good review in general. One correction — Emmet's Piece of Resistance is colored Flat Silver (by Bricklink's terminology) or 315 Silver Metallic (by the LEGO Group's terminology). The Bricklink name Pearl Dark Grey describes considerably darker colors like 148 Dark Grey Metallic or 316 Titanium Metallic, both of which the BIONICLE fan community often calls "gunmetal".

There's nothing on the box or in the instructions to suggest that's what the code is used for, even on the LEGO Movie game inset on the rear of the box, but I'll take your word for it. :def_shrug:

You are right, it's Flat Silver.

Thanks an incredibly detailed review Rufus. The EB commun

...e ? We have an EB commune now? I best get to work on the potatoes. :tongue:

Or did you mean the EB Communist Party? :look:

:laugh: Cheers Rick!

Wow. Just wow.

I suspect the shape was more inspiration than a deliberate attempt to recreate the shape; it may have been subconscious, or maybe I'm reading too much into it. :blush:

...e ? We have an EB commune now? I best get to work on the potatoes. :tongue:

I wouldn't share my LEGO. :tongue: Damn, I should have been quicker building that SW polybag.

I started a post before I decided to quote you and I didn't notice it was still there... :blush: