SheepEater

Future Set Wishes and Speculation

Recommended Posts

With the suggestion that the upcoming 42080 set could be a sequal in the "Technic UCS" series that the 42056 started, I dream of a sedan like car on a similar scale as the brilliant Subaru Impreza that Pipasseyoyo designed a while ago: To me this is still one of the best MOC supercars out there, its functions, scale, proportions and bodywork are simply stunning. I would love to see TLG take on a car like this.

dscn0729.jpg

Edited by Cumulonimbus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever it is, I hope it's 4wd with selectable drive modes such as 2wd/4wd/diff lock and so on to add some mechanical technicery (I made a new word, not as good as technofunctionomical though!) in a nice dark tasteful colour, NOT ORANGE OR PURPLE lol, plus all the new parts I've already mentioned many times!

2017-Ram-3500-02.jpg

b6b994e7b8f7934ec91212e570c7adb0.jpg

BTW, would a box that's longer than 42056 indicate the need to display a model that has a longer wheelbase such as the examples posted above?! :laugh:

Edited by allanp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

...the upcoming 42080 set...

You probably meant 42083 :wink: ?

So guys, let´s speculate! There is nothing we can be sure about, BUT we can summarize some indications which were issued in the other topic and reflect about some reasonable assumptions based on that:

-          the TLC designers told that there definitely will be a continuation of the Ultimate Collector Series which started by the 42056 Porsche 2 years ago

-          therefore it´s logical that the mysterious 42083 set can have something similar in it – let´s say another supercar in 1:8 scale

-          there were some hints about the replication of one of the little Speed Champions cars, for which the license is already there and / or has to be expanded in some way

-          the age +16 on the box is the same

-          we have seen supercar releases every 2 years in the past (sorry, but the Rally car doesn´t count)

My wild guess is the AMG GT3 (!):

 lego-mercedes-amg-gt3-set-75877-15-2.jpg

video-mercedes-amg-gt-gt3-caught-testing

One plausible reason could be: the new dark grey panels used e.g. in the Mack Anthem 42078 are being produced cost efficient in vast numbers. Why not building a whole supercar in DBG?

Of course the Speed Champions series features a long row of other great supercars and IMO all of them would be great to see in an official Technic version. But I think we can exclude the red Ferraris and orange McLaren, the white Porsche as well.

So which one do you think could make it into the stores and onto the collector´s shelves?

Edited by brunojj1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

You probably meant 42083 :wink: ? ...

Yes of course, thank you, I never get used to talking in set numbers.

Edited by Cumulonimbus
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@allanp I too am hoping for an offroader model, we haven't had anything since the 9398/41999. Maybe a Mercedes AMG G63. And while I'm dreaming, the 6x6 version. :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bugatti Chiron = instant buy for me.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chiron is very hard to get right and without gaps with all the curvature it has. 

I would put my money on something similar to Porsche 919 Hybrid. It's an existing licence, 42039 is no longer on the shelves, and the iconic shape would be easily replicatable in Technic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is to be a supercar then I agree, the Chiron would be great. Either that or an aventador. Those are my two favourite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@allanp  I would also like some offroader with proper tire pattern like this

3710964_orig.jpg

 

Edited by I_Igor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

You probably meant 42083 :wink: ?

So guys, let´s speculate!

I'd like to speculate that it is anything but a car, however I feel I may well be disappointed :cry_sad:

I'd like something Big, Yellow and industrial :classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A starting point could be "what kind of machine is licensed, is not a car, and has the potential to be complex enough to be a flagship?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

A starting point could be "what kind of machine is licensed, is not a car, and has the potential to be complex enough to be a flagship?"

e.g:

- Claas combine harvestor

- Volvo excavator (something like bigger and more complex 8043)

edit:

"has the potential to be complex enough to be a flagship" that can be anything: even bus could be complex enough to be flagship, there are MOCs like that

__________

I hope it is not a car.

to all who are "certain" it is another supercar: imagine you are LEGO product manager responsible for Technic. Would you vote for another supercar while you still have one on the shelfs and in the production? Would another Technic supercar likely increase of lower the sales of Porsche?

IMO: granted LEGO did crazier and less logical steps before, but I see no business point to introduce another supercar now.

Edited by J_C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, J_C said:

imagine you are LEGO product manager responsible for Technic. Would you vote for another supercar while you still have one on the shelfs and in the production? Would another Technic supercar likely increase of lower the sales of Porsche?

IMO: granted LEGO did crazier and less logical steps before, but I see no business point to introduce another supercar now.

This really depends. What kind of people buy the Porsche?

  • Car fans. Then adding a new car will increase sales, because the cars are now a collectable series.
  • Technic fans. Then adding a new car will not do much, because the cars compete against each other for Technic-ness.

Probably it's a mix between the two. Anyhow, what the target audience is for the Porsche and whether it's successfull in that audience, is info we don't have. But if we assume the Porsche is mainly a collector set for car fans, then we can conclude it's likely a second car will follow.

Personally, I expect 42083 to be a car, mainly because TLG said the Porsche was "the first in a series". The Bugatti Chiron in dark azure + black seems the most likely suggestion to me so far, for various reasons:

  • With the Mack truck, we already have a non-car licenced flagship set, so it's unlikely that 42083 is again not a car
  • Someone here said it was "a brand currently already licenced", and according to some people here, the Speed Champtions theme has a Bugatti set (I didn't check this though)
  • A lot of pieces appeared in dark azure recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

With the Mack truck, we already have a non-car licenced flagship set, so it's unlikely that 42083 is again not a car

There's also the rumoured Volvo.

7 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

according to some people here, the Speed Champtions theme has a Bugatti set (I didn't check this though)

Yes, 75878.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

This really depends. What kind of people buy the Porsche?

  • Car fans. Then adding a new car will increase sales, because the cars are now a collectable series.
  • Technic fans. Then adding a new car will not do much, because the cars compete against each other for Technic-ness.

Probably it's a mix between the two. Anyhow, what the target audience is for the Porsche and whether it's successfull in that audience, is info we don't have. But if we assume the Porsche is mainly a collector set for car fans, then we can conclude it's likely a second car will follow.

Personally, I expect 42083 to be a car, mainly because TLG said the Porsche was "the first in a series". The Bugatti Chiron in dark azure + black seems the most likely suggestion to me so far, for various reasons:

  • With the Mack truck, we already have a non-car licenced flagship set, so it's unlikely that 42083 is again not a car
  • Someone here said it was "a brand currently already licenced", and according to some people here, the Speed Champtions theme has a Bugatti set (I didn't check this though)
  • A lot of pieces appeared in dark azure recently.

I think pool of people that wants to buy two supercars at Porsche's price level at the same time is small. Then there is pool of people who do not have Porsche yet and would be choosing between Porsche and alleged upcoming supercar, it is either or, so no gain for Lego to offer both at the same time. Then there is subset of people who already have Porsche and wants "next one", right now (some of them would buy non-car flagship regardless and wait till Porsche is discontinued). I just do not see much point offering "next supercar" concurrently with Porsche, before retiring the Porsche.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, J_C said:

I think pool of people that wants to buy two supercars at Porsche's price level at the same time is small. Then there is pool of people who do not have Porsche yet and would be choosing between Porsche and alleged upcoming supercar, it is either or, so no gain for Lego to offer both at the same time. Then there is subset of people who already have Porsche and wants "next one", right now (some of them would buy non-car flagship regardless and wait till Porsche is discontinued). I just do not see much point offering "next supercar" concurrently with Porsche, before retiring the Porsche.

Look at the Modular Buildings, several of them are being sold at the same time, and I don't think the release of a new one each year harms the sales of the previous ones. And if the Porsche is retired at the end of the year (that's what the catalog suggests), then the two sets will be on sale at the same time for five months only. I think that's enough time for those who want to start collecting the supercars to get the Porsche before it retires (and get the 42083 later, they don't have to buy them at the same time, the 42083 shouldn't retire before 2020). When 42083 will be released, the Porsche will have been on sale for more than two years, so it's reaching the end of its lifecycle anyways. It's not as if they chose to release a new supercar in 1H2017, or even 2H2017, there won't be too much concurrency between these two sets.

If 42043 42083 is a supercar, I'd like it to be a Ford GT. I love the shaping of the rear half, and there could be some interesting functions, like adjustable suspensions, or deployable rear wing. Scissor doors would be a bit better than regular doors, too. It could be dark blue, or blue (75539 seems to have #3 and #4 and #17 and #18 panels in blue, so that's four parts less to make in a new colour). Anyways, whatever it is, I hope it will be technically more interesting than the Porsche. :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Leewan said:

Look at the Modular Buildings, several of them are being sold at the same time, and I don't think the release of a new one each year harms the sales of the previous ones. And if the Porsche is retired at the end of the year (that's what the catalog suggests), then the two sets will be on sale at the same time for five months only. I think that's enough time for those who want to start collecting the supercars to get the Porsche before it retires (and get the 42083 later, they don't have to buy them at the same time, the 42083 shouldn't retire before 2020). When 42083 will be released, the Porsche will have been on sale for more than two years, so it's reaching the end of its lifecycle anyways. It's not as if they chose to release a new supercar in 1H2017, or even 2H2017, there won't be too much concurrency between these two sets.

that actually makes lots of sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:grin: Yeah, that was a typo. We know 42043 is a Mercedes, but definitely not a supercar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

A lot of pieces appeared in dark azure recently.

Did we have a rise in orange pieces before 42056?

15 hours ago, J_C said:

Then there is pool of people who do not have Porsche yet and would be choosing between Porsche and alleged upcoming supercar, it is either or, so no gain for Lego to offer both at the same time.

They can buy 42056 because it’s retiring sooner and then 42083 later. It’s not really an issue and I doubt it’ll affect long term sales of 42056 or 42083. The pool of people that can afford 42056 will most likely factor this into their choice.

Edited by Bartybum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Did we have a rise in orange pieces before 42056?

Yes actually, but the question is really how far you want to look back: The 9392 Quad Bike, the 42007 Moto Cross Bike,  42038 Arctic Truck and the even the 42001 Mini Off Roader were sets which introduced some crucial parts in orange that made the 42056 possible.

Like @Erik Leppen, I feel an azure and black Bugatti Chiron is a very real possibility. The omens are very favourable: the increased availability of azure parts (similar to one of the launch colours of the Chiron), the fact that the Chiron is relatively new car which would fit nicely in the Technic super car range, the existing licence between TLG and Bugatti. This set would also need to recreate some interesting mechanisms which haven't been designed in an official set before: actuated rear spoiler and the W-configuration engine for example. Additionally, I would love to see a tan coloured interior again (last one was in the 8145 Ferrari Fiorano set of 2007). It just feels like it all makes sense (at the moment).

 

Edited by Cumulonimbus
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cumulonimbus said:

Additionally, I would love to see a tan coloured interior again (last one was in the 8145 Ferrari Fiorano set of 2007).

The 41999 has a tan interior (sorta). :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think, that it will be McLaren (Senna?), as they also have existing cooperation.

Another thing. Than new set is planned for march? McLaren Senna is planned to oficcially present in march at Geneva motor show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if lego follows us fans but i'd wish for more technic space crafts.. And not your typical normal NASA space crafts. More scifi space crafts.. 
With technic, you could add lots of functions.. Like foldable wings or moving turbines.. Maybe scrap recovery arms and cool stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

I feel an azure and black Bugatti Chiron is a very real possibility. The omens are very favourable: the increased availability of azure parts (similar to one of the launch colours of the Chiron), the fact that the Chiron is relatively new car which would fit nicely in the Technic super car range

That would be a possibility which sounds plausible to me too. 

On 24.1.2018 at 5:54 PM, J_C said:

I just do not see much point offering "next supercar" concurrently with Porsche, before retiring the Porsche.

I see it the opposite way: while retiring the Porsche, it´s necessary to launch the next one in the series and boost the sales numbers again. 

23 hours ago, Leewan said:

Anyways, whatever it is, I hope it will be technically more interesting than the Porsche. :grin:

Probably we shouldn´t raise too high expectations this time, only to get disappointed again in the end :hmpf_bad:. But the anticipation usually delivers the greater joy than the real thing, like kids waiting for Christmas :laugh:.. If the new model would look as much appealing as the Porsche and bring at least interesting new parts, like rims, I will be satisfied (not about the price though, again!)

7 hours ago, Jurss said:

I still think, that it will be McLaren (Senna?), as they also have existing cooperation.

Another thing. Than new set is planned for march? McLaren Senna is planned to oficcially present in march at Geneva motor show.

I highly doubt this, because you can exclude another orange model for 99,9 % certainty. Doesn´t mean that the Senna will exist only in one colour, but I simply can´t immagine that.

The 2H sets usually are being launched in August or later, depends on the country.

My suggestion was the AMG GT3 for some reasons, but it´s not my favourite at all. Another car with front engine, such as a yellow Corvette, would be nicer IMO. On the other hand, unlikely as well, the yellow seems to be reserved for the construction stuff.

I´m curious and hopefully we will get some leaks from Spielwarenmesse in Nuremberg next week!

 

 

Edited by brunojj1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.