CM4Sci

Mixels 2014 Discussion

What the flick-fire is this? Extremely odd, however I'll probably buy all of them because they're kinda cute.

Ha, they are rather odd but in a good way. That red one is very cute and cool. Have to pick him up. I'm also really excited about those new ball joint pieces, but March is so far away...

I'm very interested in how Mixels came about (as I worked for a long time in children's entertainment - no, not as a clown, but developing digital content for existing intellectual properties and starting new ones). LEGO own the Mixels trademark but CN (or rather Time Warner) bought the mixels.com address. Who partnered with who, was it TLG's idea and they brought CN on board to produce a TV show for it? Or is just it the more traditional route of CN having the idea and getting LEGO to make some toys as a tie-in? I feel it may be the former, which could be very exciting.

• The presence of CN suggests a TV idea is included but the fact LEGO owns the trademark and have launched the brand before CN have said anything makes me feel the CN part is not the majority of the concept.
  • From the name Mixels and a tweet I spotted, there seems to be a "mix 'n' match" concept behind the characters. What that means, I don't know, but it sounds like a LEGOish idea.
  • As 'Mixels' also suggests pixels, I think there's also a big online idea behind this concept too.
  • TLG have a department called FutureLab who are responsible for creating the future of LEGO play, a huge part of which is to imagine the place of the brick within the wider ways that kids are 'playing' these days and in years to come.
  • The success of Ninjago has surely encouraged TLG further in their pursuit of creating their own intellectual properties (like Licensed Themes, but LEGO invent the license) with a wider presence than just as a bunch of sets.
  • The UK and other countries I believe do not allow TV shows based on toys because it's mostly just advertising to kids in a new clever form. So this makes TV a less useful medium for a new intellectual property. Still very very very important, since it's allowed in the US and other places, but semsible companies won't wholly place their eggs in that basket.

All of that makes me feel like Mixels is a LEGO idea and the central concept of mix 'n' match has been rolled out into online games and content plus a supporting TV cartoon which they've turned to CN to produce, as TLG are not a TV company. I'll be interested to see if I've got any of this right, and whether the actual idea has legs (interchangeable legs of course).

Edited by caperberry

I'm also hoping for an affordable price. Lots of great pieces, even if the theme isn't good. We will wait and see.

Fun looking. Useful parts.

However if these things cost more than $5-6, and I'm guessing they will be $10, I'm passing. There better not be some insane license costs to them.

It's amazingly depressing how many people's first impression was to compare these to the not-even-remotely-similar Ben 10 and Galidor themes. So many AFOLs willing to dismiss a fun, imaginative System theme as dead-on-arrival before they even know exactly what it's about. Hopefully the line will prove successful and the early detractors will find they don't actually mind the taste of crow. Though of course I guarantee many of those early detractors will never get over their irrational hatred of the theme... I saw some disgusting comments about BIONICLE earlier today that remind me just why I put off joining Brickset for so long.

The AFOL community has managed to disappoint me so many times and in so many ways over the past week. I desperately need a newer, less depressing hobby.

On a lighter note, yay! Adorable models with goofy cartoon eyes and tiny ball joints! These are a wonderful expression of the LEGO Group's brilliant imagination. Very much like some of the X-Pod sets. Definitely hoping to pick some of these up. No idea what the Cartoon Network co-promotion might entail...

I have to agree. I think the theme is cute, light-hearted, and looks quite playful. I see many good things that could come from this, and I'm not sure where the whole disliking of it started. I mean, what is there to dislike? The theme looks great IMO. Can't wait for more information from both TLG and Cartoon Network on this.

I'm not much a fan of cartoons or small monsters so I have no interest in the builds themselves, but I spot some great pieces. Depending on the price I'll pick them up as a parts pack or resort to bricklink.

So now TLG is marketing new parts in the form of kooky monsters, huh? Eh, why not...

Can anyone guess, what in the remaining 80% of the box will be? Assuming that all the bricks are in the creatures. I know lego boxes are usually oversized, but these are way too big.

For some reason (after reading the names on the boxes) it makes me think of Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh and similar shows.

Anyone else notice the new part on the feet of the red guy" Looks like a tile with a bit sticking out (its not possible to tell from the picture if its a 1 x 1 or 1 x 2 part though)

Also, it looks like the ball joints are the same as the current tow-ball parts (I can see the 2 x 2 plate with tow-ball and the technic pin with ball as well as what appears to be a 1 x 2 plate with a tow-ball and a socket and some other socketed pieces)

Also, it looks like the ball joints are the same as the current tow-ball parts (I can see the 2 x 2 plate with tow-ball and the technic pin with ball as well as what appears to be a 1 x 2 plate with a tow-ball and a socket and some other socketed pieces)

Some are the current parts yes, but on the grey fellow, I've never seen those parts before. Both the male and female couplings seem to be 1x2 plates and you can just make out they have hollow studs.

Something tells me those aren't the boxes. Seem more like displays than anything. Plus, you'd think the box would contain a picture of the actual set and not the cartoon picture. Not to mention their large size. Always could be wrong, though.

Oh. And there's more to come. Check the bottom of the big, red sign in the first picture. You can see the black dude (Seismo, according to the box) between the boxes, but on the far right, there's a silhouetted picture of a never-before-seen character. Not to mention the multi-colored square in the middle. Perhaps there are at least six characters each having a different color? But then I don't know how Seismo would fit into that.

EDIT: Just noticed more silhouetted characters on the sides of Volectro's and Seismo's boxes. I'm pretty sure there would be one on Flain's, but I can't make it out.

Kalhiki

Edited by Kalhiki

Can anyone guess, what in the remaining 80% of the box will be? Assuming that all the bricks are in the creatures. I know lego boxes are usually oversized, but these are way too big.

Those aren't official boxes because they need set numbers and in the USA they need piece counts. But the boxes will be large in order to store the monsters and fight them with your friends (just a guess).

I did mention that about the boxes, back on the first page. I don't think those are the actual packaging, just display pieces for Comic-Con.

This looks fun. Yay for yellow grass and 1-wide ball joints and goofy eyeballs!

:classic:

Clearer pics of the three guys now posted by TLG on FB. Plus more great SDCC pics.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151570015643403&set=pb.6665038402.-2207520000.1374517196.&type=3&theater

So that def looks to be Flame Yellowish Orange to me, and good to have the colours confirmed on the grey guy - seems those new towball plates come in both LBG and DBG.

I think they're cute, and will be a big hit with the kids!

These look so funky and cute! :wub: I'll definitely be picking some of these guys up, I just hope they're not too expensive :sceptic: (Hopefully around £3-£5)

I've got more Mixels information! http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Mixels

There's confirmation of a mobile game, and the Cartoon Network tie-in is a series of shorts that will air on TV and on CartoonNetwork.com. Further information is on the Brickipedia article linked above. There are also going to be three waves of sets! :laugh:

The sets are nothing special, but the parts are great. I'm curious what the series will be like.

And those new ball-and-socket elements are really great. These will be useful for a lot of brickbuild creatures.

Press Release is now out. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cartoon-network-and-the-lego-group-reveal-groundbreaking-ip-development-with-new-mixels-franchise-216463171.html

Yup, it's a co-production; seems CN approached TLG and TLG already had a suitable idea. The cartoon will be shorts, not a half hour show or anything. There's an online game mostly driven through an app - let's hope the idea is original or at least engaging for kids. The sets will be 'low-priced'.

All good with me; roll on March!

Press Release is now out. http://www.prnewswir...-216463171.html

Wow. talk about hyperbole. "Stuart Snyder, president and chief operating officer for Turner's Animation, Young Adults & Kids Media Division." Even his job title is overblown. Self important much?

Good on Lego and CN for forging a strong partnership though. Look forward to seeing the rest of the sets.