I dunno, I like the shock absorber placement here - it's really compact. It would be very easy to build whatever you want on top of that, free of the consideration of having to plan where to anchor the suspension.

it worked really well but needs the yellow stiffer springs if you put too much weight on top in the cab...

The last image... the pivot point is too far from wheel midpoint... not good for steering...

Max...

Never stopped lego before but it depends on the offset of the wheels you use on it

Wouldn't it be a great idea to use a 3L axle joiner in between to make it more sturdy?

In NXT45's example it wouldn't make any difference, as the axles are effectively locked in place when the diff is inserted

Edited by D3K

In NXT45's example it wouldn't make any difference, as the axles are effectively locked in place when the diff is inserted

Yes but there was a little wiggle in my previous design. (Old photo) With the new photo I fixed it with the 3 x 5 liftarms.

I designed this axle for my truck (http://bricksafe.com/pages/ludo/heavy-duty-truck). Two drive axles are connected to the differential on each side.

800x378.jpg

The one facing us in the image pivots with respect to the axis through the wheels. This allows two of these axles to be connected back-to-back, which I did in my truck. The downside of this that there's only place for one Panhard rod (barely visible), so the stability of the axle is not optimal. Ideas for improvement are welcome :classic:

Instructions can be found here: http://bricksafe.com/files/ludo/heavy-duty-truck/rear-axle-instructions.pdf

-----------------Steering with drive--------------------------

I have one, Sadly no pictures. This can be adapted to any situation. The trans-blue lift arms can be switched out for longer ones to make it wider. The blue pins on the shocks and mounting can be attached to a lift arm, the longer the lift arm, the higher the suspension.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE LDD

-Doesnt work-

Edited by Block_Smarts Lego Technic

Here's my best so far:

Driven and steered axle with independent suspension, using only U-joints for a greater steering angle

DSCF4352.jpg

DSCF4353.jpg

DSCF4354.jpg

You can see the very sharp steering angle in this last picture:

DSCF4356.jpg

Here's my best so far:

Driven and steered axle with independent suspension, using only U-joints for a greater steering angle

DSCF4352.jpg

No, no, no, I tried same idea and I failed like you.

Here are some new drive suspensions that I posted on facebook a few months ago..

Hmm, I made pretty similar suspension in the last weeks, this setup gives a nice, stiff suspension very suitable for supercars.

EDIT: WRONG. My first suspension doesn't have drive.

Edited by Lipko

No, no, no, I tried same idea and I failed like you.

I don't quite understand how I failed, it functioned perfectly when I tested it

I am sorry I have my purist mode on :laugh: .Of course it works but the suspension arm only allow 4 movements, up, down, left and right on the rack side and it should allow front and back movement (just a little I know).

Those narrow suspension arms are really weak laterally. I expect this setup will be really wobbly on a heavy model. Try adding an extra link either ahead or behind the arms.

I built it because I needed hardness and very little travel, it is a simple variation of many you known but here is.

yxDHRSO.jpg

Hi, i want to show you an axle idea, i came out with this when i saw jeff55682´s portal hubs of his unimog

, they use turntables instead of rims and they also were very compact and has the same steering pivot point as the standard portal hubs, but i saw that they has a reduction of only 1:3, just like standard portal hub, so i decided to make a "improved" version of it by using Effes´s gear rims, now, the whole reduction is 1:12 and now it is less possible that an u joint, a 12t bevel gear or other drivetrain piece will get broken, i have made an example of this axle in LDD, and this model is compatible with the 8110 unimog, also this axle has a more stronger seering system, because, the standard one was to close of the pivot point and wasnt strong enough (for me), however you can put the standard one, i hope you like it, and if you can make it in real life to test if it works i will apreciate it and special thanks to jeff55682 and Efferman for their amazing designs:

picture:

portal_hub.png

and LXF: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/imanolB/unimog/portal_hub.lxf

I think this is my best mini-scale axle so far...

The springs are mounted directly on top and as close to the hubs, so the force is transmitted directly into the wheel with minimum axle bending:

Mini%20front%20axle%201.png

It uses a combination on new short 5L links, old mini hubs as steering arms and old, smaller hubs, which are replaced via this assembly:

Mini%20front%20axle%206.png====================>32495c01.png

Steering is done via new(ish) suggestable connectors and old mini hubs used as 2L links.

Mini%20front%20axle%202.png

Differential can be driven on both sides, but the side with steering has to use a bewel 20 tooth gear, so It may not carry as much as torque...

Mini%20front%20axle%203.png

You can combine the axles in assembly the Arocs 42043 uses to make a very robust drive and steer system:

Mini%20front%20axle%204.png

Notice the red jump plates holding the steering racks in place.

Mini%20front%20axle%205.png

Download file here:

LDD mini axle

Edited by Zblj

Yeah, thanks for sharing this ingenious idea :thumbup: ! I recently was asking myself: How can I get narrower at the rear axle by keeping it suspended at each side? Most 1/10 scale cars are a far out of scale at 25 width. Maybe you´re planning something Hot Wheels style :wink: ?...

What's the sense of floating independent suspension? When I once use independent suspension I can mount it directly to chassis and it's not necessary to make it floating... Exists something like this also in real life? ...

Max...

What's the sense of floating independent suspension? When I once use independent suspension I can mount it directly to chassis and it's not necessary to make it floating... Exists something like this also in real life? ...

Max...

Try to make driven independent sups. setup with this width equipped with diff., and you'll see. :D

Edited by Gzzig

Hi guys,

for my TC8 entry I have developed this axle:

800x500.jpg

800x500.jpg

It´s a driven and steered axle with a differential and U-Joints, but without suspension.

Dave

Edited by Dave21

Nice but you have a big problem…the steering point it's way to far from the wheel.

You can reduce it by a stud if flip the wheels….

Also, using hubs you can reduce it by 2 studs…..

P.S. cool renders! What software are you using??

Edited by TheItalianBrick