Will for sure want to mod/customize - found "ultimate 42009" and am very impressed

As for now I have chosen to order following sets:

This will set me back approx. 600E and seems to me to be reasonable starter set - but I am more then open to suggestions about different options, additional sets etc.

Especially from the point of pieces variety!

TY in advance.

You have chosen some of what I feel are the best of the modern LEGO Technic sets. I know you said you like mainly Construction sets, but the 42039 (24 Hours Race Car) and the 42037 (Formula Off-Roader) have some interesting suspension and building techniques.

Congratulations on you new-found, old hobby and many happy hours of building.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Welcome back to Lego bru7us... I will recommend also the 42038 set. It has a great variety of parts and has interesting building techniques, especially the compact gearbox

____

About my last post, I will go for the 42039 and will pass the 42008 and 42025.. I feel in love with those +45 panels, bright green and B Model... I just hope that TLG bring a set featuring only the new pneumatics in the future, something like 8455

Edited by Jonfensu

Depends what you want. Volvo has more PF but arocs is so much better in every other way.

I have the 42030, 42037, 42038, 42039, 42042 and 42049 and have enjoyed building them all now for the B models and alternate Mocs of them :wink:

no one knows exactly when it will go. But history suggests that it may be soon. You can always get it on the secondary market, but prices rise considerably. Your post suggests you are strapped for money, so perhaps best to go with the Volvo first and the MB Arocs later..... simply because one will vanish quicker than the other.....

Arocs all the way, better design, better parts pack, new PF elements ! The Volvo is good too, but only if you want PF elements and you buy 3rd party wheels.

Thanx for all the tips guys - I have build 3 out of the 4 sets I got during last says and have the blast :)

Will probably build last one (Arocs) through next weekend.

My thoughts for now:

42042 - first model I built - extremly well thought, gearbox is greatly designed and functionality is really amazing. IMHO if it is not same year as Arocs this could easily be flagship few years ago!

42030 - secnd one for me - and I have mixed feelings, model is OK, but does not feel special to me - it is like very big generic design. Do not regret buying it though as it has great value for parts and PF alone. Actually I am monitoring this one for sales as it is here probably cheapest way to get PF + tons of parts (I like yellow :)

42009 - third one - absolutely amazing model, I am still breathtaken about its desgn. Definetly most favorite one for me. Biggest minus is for me poor PF equipement - IMHO it would work much better with at least 2 motors. I plan heavy MODding of this one with full set of PF - my plan is to cannibalize 42030 for parts to MOD 42009 :)

42043 - looking forward to this one - will probably not like pneumatics much but model itself look great .... :)

Edited by bru7us

The Volvo is good, it's fun. Downsides: the boom and bucket performance are slow. Upsides: it's fun to build, looks good, and is strong. It also contains a full range of PF motors if you want to build other things. I saw no need for 3rd party tyres, others obviously have their own view on that.

I don't have the Arocs, so can't comment on one versus the other.

Do you want to focus on parts?

The Arocs,

Do you want to focus on PF?

The Volvo.

Do you plan on modding them?

If you already got the Unimog get the Volvo, completely different kind of modding,. otherwise get the Arocs, lots more of possibilities, closer to the Unimog.

Do you Plan to get another big set in a year of before?

Get the Volvo now, the Arocs later.

I own both, all I can say is that the Arocs is the best Technic set I have built to date - it looks great, the build is VERY enjoyable and challenging at the same time which is great, Pneumatic V2, lots of new parts, few stickers, impressive model.

Volvo looks impressive too but the build doesn't even come close to Arocs and there's just about 1400 parts whilst the Arocs has 2800 for an even lower price point!

Volvo is quicker to play and to be retired soon. If you want both and don't want to pay the retired set price premium, I'd start off with the Volvo.

Volvo is a 2014 set and usually sells for 18 month before its discontinued.

I would say 2 years plus a few months. This was the case for at least 8110, 9398 and 42009.

Edited by kolbjha

I recently got back into Lego with some of the Star Wars sets and am now looking to buy my first Technic set as an adult. My two main criteria are play factor and remote control via incorporation of the sbrick. I'm leaning toward the Volvo, should I be looking at any other sets? I've looked into 42009 and 42043, but being able to actually pick up stuff with 42030 via RC makes it seem like a winner to me.

Owning all of these I say the 42043 is the best in term of design and play value even if it does not have any RC elements. 42030 is nice, but is has less fewer parts and the design is not so great, but if you find it at a decent price you should get it.

I recently got back into Lego with some of the Star Wars sets and am now looking to buy my first Technic set as an adult. My two main criteria are play factor and remote control via incorporation of the sbrick. I'm leaning toward the Volvo, should I be looking at any other sets? I've looked into 42009 and 42043, but being able to actually pick up stuff with 42030 via RC makes it seem like a winner to me.

Hi I was in same position as you few days ago :) Few post back I wrote how I see it after building most of these sets: http://www.eurobrick...00#entry2442441

TLDR: 42009 for the model + 42030 for PF&spare parts seems to be a winner for me :)

Edited by bru7us

I come back as a Technic fans mid-2014, and by no surprise my first (modern) one is 42030. It has a few merits to me...

I like the build: it is easy (for someone that's new to Technic or like me who haven't touched a set for two decades), but it also contains bits to learn (like aligning the LAs, for example).

PF components: I think by no doubt this is one of the best sets that will give you most of what you need as PF components. One of each motors (exclude the E-motor), 2x IR receivers (v1 though) and 2x IR controllers.

Playability: it lifts, it tilts, it steers and it drives :) Seriously, even a young kid will find this attractive and intuitive when driving it through a pile of lego bricks.

The only downside (for me) is probably the color... It is yellow, again :P

I've only ever bought the 8292 Cherry Picker set back in 2008 or so and am currently rebuilding it.

I've been collecting Star Wars and modulars for quite some time now but have decided to move on from SW (it's too expensive of a theme) and give Technic a try since I've been interested in this theme for a while but never found the determination to put Star Wars aside.

I'm currently only interested in the motorized sets, and the 42042 Crawler Crane is peeking my interest at the moment.

Does anyone have any advice on whether to get the 42042 soon or the Mercedes Benz Arocs later?

Also, I'd like to know if the non-motorized sets are really worth it. Race cars and whatnot don't really appeal to me, I'm more of a "service / construction" kind of guy.