TRU seems to do dynamic pricing, all of the Technical now matches S@H, the 42000 was $160, its now $130 US. The 42009 is still $200, same as the 8110, and I have a 15% off coupon, so I think k it will be the 8110 for parts and to build the and awesome c-model jeep

i have a chance to buy 8386 for €70 or should i buy 42000 new for €75

cheers dougstar

I got the Unimog for a decent price. While I'm not overly enthusiastic about the model itself, it is obviously a great parts pack which will soon be sold out. I'll probably build MrTekneex's Jeep instead.

Now, for the construction sets, I decided to focus on what I really want which is 8043 and 8275. I can't afford both right now after buying the Unimog so I need to decide which one to start with. Second hand prices are more or less the same for both sets. I'm leaning toward 8043 for playability reasons. Even the B-model tracked loader seems really fun (and looks great). The dozer is bigger and meaner with a higher part count but looks a bit limited functionality wise maybe? Does any 8275 fans want to convince me otherwise?

Tough one, I love (and own) both. I'd say 8043 is more complex functionality-wise, and is overall a better parts package (though 8275 has 2! XL motors and also has 4 of the very rare pneumatic brackets). Playability-wise 8043 is also better, especially if you mod it into the Ultimate 8043 by Jurgen Krooshoop (highly recommended!).

Edited by jantjeuh

Did you try the b-model for 8043 also? I love its compact looks and how fast and easily it moves. Although not very complex it looks like a bunch of fun!

I also found this video of a modified and fully motorized 42006 b-model. Maybe I have to buy that one as well. Tracked vehicles are awesome :D

The B-model of 8043 is very good!

For me there is no question which set i would buy (concerning the question 8043 or 8275): 8043 is way way better and more interesting than 8275...in all aspects... 8275 is a good parts pack, especially PF, but the build is really boring and the playability... hmm, quite boring too...

One word to the recommended ultimate 8043: Yes, it is an outstanding and very recommendable MOD which works very well, but it is also an expensive one and it is (at least IMHO) not really necessary... here i have described some small abd cheap MODS which i have applied to the 8043: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=88601 - overall very cheap but nevertheless enhances the excavator already a lot...

To make a long story short: even if i prefer pneumatic over LAs i must say, 8043 is one of the best sets ever - an icon - go and get it - a must have!

Edited by Kumbbl

If you have the choise between the 9398 and the 42009. Wich one should I buy? I am planning for the 42030 also when available and got the 8043, so the PF parts are not on the wanted list for me.

I won't have to choose between both. I purchased both! :laugh: Great set especialy the 42009 :thumbup:

Regarding 9398 and 42009... I bought the 9398 only for parts. 42009 is clearly good for parts, but I personally don't like all those yellow parts...

I build mostly construction equipment which for the most part is yellow, if I build logging stuff, I can go red. I have two of most every set, and over the years I,ve picked up a lot of large lots off Ebay.

I,m a big fan of the 8110, and the 8043. I would definately buy a 8110 if you dont have one just because it's gonna be retired here soon, and the prices are going to sky rocket.

I got pulled into technic half a year ago and over that time aquired some sets through good deals (8110, 8070, 9397) and one at msrp 41999 :laugh: .

I have been reading forums and putting together things as much as life permits. But ever since I seen 8258, I couldnt get it out of my mind. Call it love at first sight :wub: . With current prices on that set being ridiculous, I hoped that maybe one day I am going to be able to have budget for it. Due to getting good eBay Bucks promotions, and getting more $$$ than expected, I can now comfortably buy the set. Problem now is that I do not know whether it is worth $300-400. It is awesome set, but I can get much more parts at Lego's msrp prices plus take advantage of x2 VIP month. I like 42000 and the upcoming 42029 has great parts. But I am not excited about them.

I would like to find out, preferrably from people who own the above set, whether or not it is worth the $$$ or should I spend it more wisely and get more bang for my buck.

I appreciate your inputs.

Tough question. I own a 8258 and I absolutely love it. I modified it and plan to make the crane RC operated.

It a huge, fascinating an realistic set and in my opinion it was an instant classic.

However, would I pay three digit money for one now if I didn't own one? .... Tricky. I don't think the set is worth more than say €180, but the demand has pushed the price way above this. So my strategy would be to be patient and keep an eye open for a bulk sale which contains one, or somebody who doesn't know what it is worth.

Luckily I got mine cheap when it was launched thanks to the discount of a webshop, in hindsight, should have bought two.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

i can not judge the USA market and its prizes for lego technic...

Here in Germany a complete but used 8258 (with box and BI) is worth ~ 130 to 150€ - prizes about 100€ and below are bargains... MISB and unopened sets cost about 250 to 300€

So, because i live in germany i(!) would never spend 300$ or even more for this set... because there are so many used but near MINT sets out there...

But nevertheless this set is indeed a classic and one of my all time favorites - especially with the MODs of Designer Han

I think i would agree with the people above me, 8258 is a GREAT set, i just love it (maybe, for me, the best Technic set ever made) but i would notnever pay 300-400$ on it. I would try to bricklink it or wait for a trip into Europe to get it at a decent price. I got mine a couple of years ago at 150 euro (used, box and manuals) and i think that is the right price for it.

Imho there is not a single set that is wurth 300€

And every set is wurth having in your collection , but only at a decent price.

So if you want 8258. Just wait until you can buy it at a normal price.

Everyone should have at least one 8258 ;). But you should not buy a new set. Just wait for a good deal on eBay for a used one. It is not worth $300 (even though it is indeed the best technic set ever ;))

Edited by peter_m

While I disagree with Johnny P. That every set is worth having one in ones collection, I must say that the 8258 is a beauty. Try to get one second hand. It offers plenty of possibilities for tuning (make it RC, dual wheel setup for the rear axles, cargo platform or bed, fifth wheel for a trailer, ...). If you show some patience, I'm sure there will be a used 8258 in great condition rolling to your doorstep for less than €150.

Not sure what the MSRP was but, I got mine for $170 shipped, about 3 years ago. It is a good set, and I'd say anything less than $250 is reasonable. Above that, it's a bit tricky. Now, it has no unique parts and as such, cna be bricklinked. My opinion? It's a fairly recent set and possibly price will come down once people get tired of them. Just look at the price of 8448 over the past few years .... it peaked 2-3 years ago, and now it's rather on the decline, and that set, has many unique/exclusive parts.

When I got back into Lego Technic, I had already missed out on 8258. Still this is a very attractive set.

Since I am more of a builder than a plain collector, I now already have most of the needed parts in my collection. I guess, when I get 42030 in summer, I should have really nearly everything at hand to build it plainly from my collection. Perhaps I'll need to get some single parts, but that should not be a problem.

So if you are note only collecting sets, build them and have them on display permanently, but tend to build your own creations or the creations of others (Sheepo's GT500 or everything that Crowkillers created), then I would wait a little longer until you have sufficient parts.

So many valid points :classic: . The non-technic lego sets that I get last only a day after I build them before getting torn into components. Seems like 8258 is worth current price for collector, which I am not. For the price of the kit I can get twice the parts in current kits. Hopefully the 42029 will help lower price of red panels that only 8258 has and will take price down a bit.

It looks good, but the crane is slow, and not very fun to play with. The truck is overall 'meh' - too big for too little interest. I don't rate it much compared to 8285 tow truck, or 8043. But you are not me of course, maybe you'd love it :classic: Also you can resell it if you regret the decision....

Well, to prefer the 8043 is something i can at least understand - Even if i do Not agree...

But to prefer the completely boring 8285 is something i can Not understand... Not understandable in the slightest to be honest...

Not quite sure I understand why both 8285 and 8258 are rather pricey on the off market .... I do prefer the red truck, and most likely the silver wheels are what's causing the high demand for the black truck ... I have the red, and happy with it.

8285 is way cheaper than the red truck... No problem to get one below 100€...