I always like the sorting process very much, for me it's very relaxing and satisfying to sort parts. Together with some music, I really enjoy the sorting and organizing.

But that's just me being me :tongue:

Hehe. I wouldn't say relaxing per se, but it is satisfying. And it's good to have a good idea of which parts you have, and more importantly.....where they are. I did poor myself a drink yesterday, which made it more enyojable after each glass :laugh:

I have a decent collection of 50% Technic and 50% Other (Star Wars en Modulars) etc, so I have at least around 70.000 Technic parts. But sometimes you are surprised by how little parts you have of a certain type.

To me it just sounds crazy how many pieces some of you have. All my pieces fit into 1-2 storage containers that I have under my bed. And I can't say they are full to the brim or anything. So if I had to guess how many parts there were in my collection, it would be probably around 15.000. And that is including my recent purchases of the Arocs and Porsche. Most of my collection consists of pieces from Bionicle that I collected during my childhood.

Right now I don't really have a proper Lego workplace. The Arocs I built on my desk, where I also use my computer. So it does not have nearly the amount of space that I needed. And having to look down a lot during the building process made my neck hurt a lot. So I built the Porsche on the dining table in our kitchen. Much more space, and it is a little higher, so less neck pain.

My pieces are stored in 8 horizontal storage units, with 5 compartments each. And I am really looking to replace those with vertical storage units with lots of drawers. When I build MOCs I lay out the 8 storage units on my bed and use that as a workplace. That is the largest, somewhat flat, place that I have in my room at the moment. That means I can't leave the stuff on there when it is time to sleep, so at least I can't "forget" to clean up. I am moving into a larger room soon though. Right now that room is completely empty so we still have to put up wallpaper and put in the floor. But hopefully I can create a better workplace in that room.

This thread is great to get inspiration for a proper workplace, but if anyone has any other tips for creating a good, spacious, desk workplace where I can also use my computer, I am all ears.

To me it just sounds crazy how many pieces some of you have. All my pieces fit into 1-2 storage containers that I have under my bed.

And so it begins..... :laugh:

We've all been there (well, most of us). And remember, it's not about the size of your collection. It's what you do with it :tongue:

As for your question; I used Stanley containers (with small compartments) for quite some time. They held a collection of my parts, but enough to enable me to build. When I was done, I stored the boxes. Easy as pie.

And so it begins..... :laugh:

We've all been there (well, most of us). And remember, it's not about the size of your collection. It's what you do with it :tongue:

As for your question; I used Stanley containers (with small compartments) for quite some time. They held a collection of my parts, but enough to enable me to build. When I was done, I stored the boxes. Easy as pie.

My kids, however, will have around 120 sets before they are born :grin:

Hehe. I wouldn't say relaxing per se, but it is satisfying. And it's good to have a good idea of which parts you have, and more importantly.....where they are. I did poor myself a drink yesterday, which made it more enyojable after each glass :laugh:

Sounds like sorting LEGO can be a drinking game. I hope you do not too much to sort. As it could cause severe inebriation. Who knew one could get drunk because of LEGO. <VBG>

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Who knew one could get drunk because of LEGO. <VBG>

Imagines Jim playing beer pong with lego pieces :laugh:

... or better yet, invite your friends over to help you "sort" your Lego pieces

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

... or better yet, invite your friends over to help you "sort" your Lego pieces

Sounds like a plan. Although I am not sure whether the pieces will end up in the right bins :laugh:

I have a decent collection of 50% Technic and 50% Other (Star Wars en Modulars) etc, so I have at least around 70.000 Technic parts. But sometimes you are surprised by how little parts you have of a certain type.

According to rebrickable (which is not a full list) I have over 15000 black pins, so probably more like 20,000+, yet last week I ran out.

Hehe. I wouldn't say relaxing per se, but it is satisfying.

I find it satisfying to find the piece I was looking for after searching for 5 minutes. I never had the patience to sort.

I find it satisfying to find the piece I was looking for after searching for 5 minutes. I never had the patience to sort.

Life's too short to be looking for parts :tongue: I guess we each have our own system, or lack thereof.

Life's too short to be looking for parts :tongue: I guess we each have our own system, or lack thereof.

"We each have our own lack of system", I'm going to use that phrase at work from now on :laugh:

Edited by Beard

Strangely, I find sorting and storing parts as satisfying as building with them. Once I'm done with my current "big sort" I hope to share some photos of my humble collection.

All the technic sets I bought were for my son :P

He's 4 months old...

I'm relieved that I'm not the only one using that excuse :) but then I end up saying "you can't touch it till you're 3 so you don't choke, then you won't know how to use it till you're 7, then at 12 you'll toss it in the garage and rediscover it in 2046 once you make me a grandfather, so I'm buying this for you, but you have to wait 3 decades to appreciate it" :)

I thought I might as well show my humble working place. I sit on the couch with my wife and watch TV while I build. With less than 10k parts I don't need much room. :classic:

IMG_1645.JPG

Given that I am away for a work related job for several months I had to set up a temporary place to build at my hotel. I could not really bring any of my collection with me..... but lucky for me some incredibly awesome sets for the 2H of 2016 have come out and I can build and mod them right here in my own temp building pad!

Wondering if any one else has had to do this before?

14691854681_SPLASH.jpg

Given that I am away for a work related job for several months I had to set up a temporary place to build at my hotel.

I can relate. Not exactly a hotel, but an AirBnB. My collection was stuck in a container for 6 months this year while I relocated to a new country, so I had to do just that: set up a temporary space and start with one set (again). The day our things arrived (finally) it was like receiving the worlds biggest Bricklink haul :P

If you have kids at home, I hope you locked the shed up well ! :D

Given that I am away for a work related job for several months I had to set up a temporary place to build at my hotel. I could not really bring any of my collection with me..... but lucky for me some incredibly awesome sets for the 2H of 2016 have come out and I can build and mod them right here in my own temp building pad!

Nice!

I have seen a review for the Grand Prix Racer by Blakbird from his hotel room.

I can relate. Not exactly a hotel, but an AirBnB. My collection was stuck in a container for 6 months this year while I relocated to a new country, so I had to do just that: set up a temporary space and start with one set (again). The day our things arrived (finally) it was like receiving the worlds biggest Bricklink haul :P

If you have kids at home, I hope you locked the shed up well ! :D

Ugh....moving has its advantages and disadvantages. New adventures but new headaches as well. I hope everything arrived in good condition. I have been there myself plenty o' times.

The shed it nice and secure.....in reality, the kiddos have their own Lego rooms. Their bedrooms...... :sweet:

Nice!

I have seen a review for the Grand Prix Racer by Blakbird from his hotel room.

I knew I could not be the only one. Leave it to Blakbird to be another one.... :classic: Although I am not into reviewing sets....I hope to have some fun modifications to the Porsche set here in a few weeks. Waiting for BL order and others as well.....

And then the BWE and Xerion come out.....Great way to decompress after hard day at work....

I am wondering how you guys and girls store your building instructions. As of now I have a big stack of bi's at the side of my storage. How do you solve that?

Each of my sets has its instructions along with a spare set of stickers (where possible) stored in a suspension file in metal filing boxes.

The suspension files hold even the largest instruction books and keep them crease free. I'm looking to change from the boxes to a filing cabinet sometime soon.

Edit: Spelling correction.

Edited by grum64

The suspension files hold even the largest instruction books and keep them crease free. I'm looking to change from the boxes to a filing cabinet sometime soon.

A filing cabinet works great, I use one and it makes instructions really easy to find. Sometimes I feel like it's overkill, as most of the instructions are stored in their original bags, away from light and dust. I'm not sure if they would degrade that quickly just sitting on a book shelf. The issue is keeping them upright, and a filing cabinet solves that perfectly.