The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

No news about the Detective Agency on the 21st of November???? Apparently not... :sceptic:

We'll see in a month... Although that may be another announcement for the Fairground Mixer, who knows :grin:

We'll see in a month... Although that may be another announcement for the Fairground Mixer, who knows :grin:

..euhm...i realize we are still doing october now..... i was a month ahead...haha.. waited all day yesterday to be the first to see some news about the DA...haha.. that was pretty stupid of me.. well.. being busy at work and home with the kids, so knowing what month it is does not have priority sometimes....haha... :sweet:

I would definitely put in an order at retail price if you can on Town Hall... Two reps have now told me the same thing- that said I will continue to check the status a few times a day until it says "Retired Product" instead of "Sold Out."

Well, I caved in and ordered the TH today...It's out of stock and Lego will ship it next month..

I think it's ok since I also get the freebie toyshop and 2X VIP points...

This thread made me nervous so I ordered the TH yesterday. I hope you are right because I didn't want to buy the TH this year! :laugh:

This thread made me nervous so I ordered the TH yesterday. I hope you are right because I didn't want to buy the TH this year! :laugh:

See! LEGO marketing knows exactly what it is doing.

1. Delay the next modular announcement.
  2. Modular-addicted AFOL with cash to spend, dying for a fix, buy up existing Modular stock.
  3. $$$$$
  4. Then announce next modular.
  5. Make plans for next year's modular to be a two-parter but have the combined cost be higher than existing sets.
  6. Bwahahahaha!
  7. Get drink of water from cackling too much.
  8. Monitor forums for more addictive behavior and stir as needed.
  9. Steeple finger tips, muttering "Excellent"

About a possible modular train station -- Mugen made this alternate build of the Town Hall:

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=527023

Instructions available for free.

I know I am slightly off topic, but where can I find the instructions?

Edited by Dhivael

See! LEGO marketing knows exactly what it is doing.

1. Delay the next modular announcement.
  2. Modular-addicted AFOL with cash to spend, dying for a fix, buy up existing Modular stock.
  3. $$$$$
  4. Then announce next modular.
  5. Make plans for next year's modular to be a two-parter but have the combined cost be higher than existing sets.
  6. Bwahahahaha!
  7. Get drink of water from cackling too much.
  8. Monitor forums for more addictive behavior and stir as needed.
  9. Steeple finger tips, muttering "Excellent"

Thanks for being even more cynical than me! :-)

At least you didn't play the 'investment' card.

About a possible modular train station -- Mugen made this alternate build of the Town Hall:

The first image in the folder is called Instruction - click on that and it opens another folder containing the step by steps.

Thanks for being even more cynical than me! :-)

At least you didn't play the 'investment' card.

The only LEGO investments I have are limited to saving them for future gifting. As for modulars, I don't think I could stand gifting such a large set to anyone... except myself. :)

^^Whoops. Duh. I shouldn't ask questions before finishing my coffee. Thank you!

Thanks for putting that up. I built it a year ago and really enjoyed the build. I added baseplates, tiles and landscaping. While a nice looking building, some of the issues brought up were pretty obvious with it next to my other modulars, namely theres no place for trains. It could work as a stand alone, but that would be a huge departure from the style of the rest of the modulars and it really requires a layout. Eventually, after about a year or so, I tore it down and rebuilt the TH. Im not really too concerned with "play features" in modulars, but it just didn't look quite right with the other modular buildings as a train station. Fun to build, but I regretfully don't see a modular train station being produced by TLG.

^^ I don't consider the TRU sets "mini modulars". The fire station has a fire hydrant as big as the truck! I think they are hideous.

Is anyone getting the mini modulars from Toys r Us this month?

i can imagine someone is getting them...but.... those individuals will be scarce, seen the comments i read about the 'mini-thingies' before.... I'd rather spend my money on real modulars... !

Thanks for putting that up. I built it a year ago and really enjoyed the build. I added baseplates, tiles and landscaping. While a nice looking building, some of the issues brought up were pretty obvious with it next to my other modulars, namely theres no place for trains. It could work as a stand alone, but that would be a huge departure from the style of the rest of the modulars and it really requires a layout. Eventually, after about a year or so, I tore it down and rebuilt the TH. Im not really too concerned with "play features" in modulars, but it just didn't look quite right with the other modular buildings as a train station. Fun to build, but I regretfully don't see a modular train station being produced by TLG.

It is hard to have a trainstation in a modular layout... it can be done, but then the trainstation has to be a standalone.. else the trains will get to close to the buildings.. Personally i think that there never will be a modular one.. also because a lot of people use shelves to put their modulars on.... a station including track could never have a depth of only 32 studs....

It is not impossible to have a train station in a modular layout:

15608882111_38ea9a901d_c.jpg

Nope. Not impossible, but not many people have that kind of room. My modulars are on a shelf that is about 2 inches wider than the buildings. I don't know if I would like a train station unless it could fit in my modular area.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Nope. Not impossible, but not many people have that kind of room. My modulars are on a shelf that is about 2 inches wider than the buildings. I don't know if I would like a train station unless it could fit in my modular area.

Andy D

Indeed it is not impossible, but very, véry unlikely that TLG will come up with a modular trainstation.. Andy, besides this, what are your Lego-plans for 2015... :laugh:

Andy D

What could work is to use a lower shelf for a subway line. And ninja turtles.

Ordered to the Apple Store at the mall by my wife to replace my iPad. After determining I was not going to stand in line with members of the apple cult to spend $1000, I headed to the lego store. They had PC, PS and PR in stock. They said they still get a couple of TH from time to time. I don't know what that means, but they wouldnt use the 'R' word (that being 'retired'). Not wanting to leave empty handed, I bought a few of the small seasonal sets and a Star Wars 10140.

Given the thought and effort Lego puts into The SW theme, I may have to become a SW fan. I bought the boxed set of six SW DVDs from Amazon and will start watching them.

Btw, nothing at store level on the next modular. Apparently, TLG has done a great job of plugging leaks.

I have to say the Lego store is always so clean, well organized and friendly.

I spent $4.23 at Starbucks, $22.46 on socks at JC Penny and $256 at Lego. I guess I'll spin it to my wife by telling her I saved $700 by leaving the Apple Store line and not buying anything there.

I'm sure that'll work, eh?

Edited by Off the wall

Indeed it is not impossible, but very, véry unlikely that TLG will come up with a modular trainstation.. Andy, besides this, what are your Lego-plans for 2015... :laugh:

Still working on my 2015 plan. I'm sure it will involve the new modular. I need to come up with something more general and meaningful to plan (and ignore).

Andy D

Given the thought and effort Lego puts into The SW theme, I may have to become a SW fan. I bought the boxed set of six SW DVDs from Amazon and will start watching them.

I used to collect SW lego (Original Trilogy only), but I got tired of it. It's just grey grey grey. The best thing about SW lego is actually the minifigs, but if you're not into that.... Anyway, the Death Star is a really fun set, especially if you just watched the movies and get to relive some of the classic scenes while building it. Some of the UCS sets are nice too, but difficult to put on display due to size.