The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

PS is most likely not the next set to retire. Virtually all of the rumors have been about TH and GE.

GE and TH both seem to be on the cusp of retirement which doesn't help. I'd get TH at retail over GE, solely because starting at a higher price, it will also resell initially at a higher point than GE. If you get one, and the other retires, I'd rather be chasing after GE than TH than the other way.

Further food for thought:

Right now, there are 192 GE for sale on BrickLink, but only 80 TH. Scarcity increases cost, too.

which is why I'm suggesting that he get TH not GE... Was that not clear?

Yeah, I guess he could buy the TH and modify it into his own version of the GE.......it would look more Victorian than Art Deco though.

He said he's interested in all three, PS, TH and GE. TH more than GE and PS more than TH. So, I suggested he get TH before PS, as it is more likely to retire before PS and be more expensive once retired than either GE or PS.

So, I suggested he get TH before PS, as it is more likely to retire before PS...

Yes, buy the TH if you can. As I've been saying for almost a week now, the 10224 Town Hall on the US side is retired. 99.99% sure it will not have another 'in stock' run. Some seem to not believe, or want to believe it's going out, but I can only stress that it will be selling on secondary market... in the US for well over it's original $199, from now on... The rest of the world will follow suit soon.That saying hope in one hand, sh*t in the other, you will see what gets filled first. Not trying to be harsh or rude to anyone, but I get the sense there is still some confusion about it's status on the board. Town Hall > US > Retired, buy wherever you can find it now or you will really pony up later :classic:

Edited by LEGO Guy Bri

I appreciate the advice guys. I'm going to hope that TH becomes available again on the shop at home site, but will certainly snatch it up if I can find it at a reasonable price elsewhere before then. Otherwise, if I miss it I will just live with it and move on to the buildings that are available (making sure not to miss any in the future, haha).

In Australia many independent Lego retailers stock most of the modular series.....minus the first three......too far gone......so look maybe towards dealers in Oz for a modular you are looking for.

I appreciate the advice guys. I'm going to hope that TH becomes available again on the shop at home site, but will certainly snatch it up if I can find it at a reasonable price elsewhere before then. Otherwise, if I miss it I will just live with it and move on to the buildings that are available (making sure not to miss any in the future, haha).

I would buy GE... the Town Hall will be sold second hand a lot in the coming years, because this modular was less wanted by people, the last years.. So within a year or so, a lot of people will try to sell the TH and because of that, prices will drop.. But that might be only the case in the Netherland where there is a vivid market for second hand Lego.......

No... If it sold so poorly that its getting retired early, then there will be fewer available in the aftermarket, and thus command higher prices.

No... If it sold so poorly that its getting retired early, then there will be fewer available in the aftermarket, and thus command higher prices.

I agree. And since the after market is driven to a great deal by completists like me who are late to the hobby, the fewer the number of sets, the higher the price we will probably pay from speculators.

As far as which modular is popular and which one isn't, I've never seen actual sales numbers so I don't have an opinion based on fact. While I don't like the PR, I've bought five copies of it just for MOC purposes. So, you never know. While the TH gets more than its fair share of criticism, it can see buying it because it's a great source of MOC parts/bricks with a desirable color.

I can see where FB probably sold more than any modular.....but that's a guess on my part based on how long it was available and the positive comments that I've read about it. On the other hand, GE takes a lot criticism for not having a detailed interior. But, that didn't prevent someone like me from buying 12 copies of it for MOC purposes. I only have one left new in box.

Edited by Off the wall

I went for the Grand Emporium first before the Pet Shop. I decided to stick with the release order anticipating that they will retire in that order.

Faefrost makes a good point that they don't retire as much as they sell out and decide to not produce more. Still, I think that it is best to make a decision and not wait.

My assumption (like many others) would buy them in order of release. Now if a set wasn't as popular, but it came out later, one could conceivably think it won't have another production run, so it is possible it will "retire" first. With that said, it is also interesting that so many modulars are available at one time. When I first got back into LEGO they only had 3 at a time, but I assume with the popularity of the series and maybe warehouse improvements, they have been able to keep some older stock live longer. Which is good for us, and good for them if they continue to make money on them, but bad for them if they sit on unwanted stock when a new modular could take up shelf/storage space.

I'm still needing PC and PR and the funds aren't there this year to get them for Christmas, so hopefully they will remain a bit longer. As for the older, I'm glad I got them when I did. I don't think I'd be willing to pay the aftermarket prices for anything.

I would go ahead and buy the one you like the best, if you are one of those that have to get every one of them, then yes start with oldest and most scarce...the bottom line is it is your wallet and your discretionary income to choose what you want. Go look at all of them online and ask yourself which one will bring you the most pleasure to put together and display and the like. You need to do what makes you happy.

I was lucky to miss out on the first 3 but get the rest as they came out with the exception of PR since I knew it would be around and now since it is 2x points, I can pick it up. I did purchase a green grocer on ebay for $550 which I feel is nutso...as while it gave me a ton of fun to put together and sort of be the centerpiece on my block, I still think that $550 was WAY too much for it. It was not $550 worth to me. Others might disagree but this is why I have not gone to get the Café Corner, I just can't fathom that cost for the building.

Remember most of all this is a toy, you do not need it to live survive or be happy; however, this is your hobby so if you have the money, and feel like picking up a modular, then go with your heart on it and you won't go wrong. I personally feel Fire Brigade is the best modular myself, I like it the best. I feel Haunted House is the next best although not a true modular, then Green Grocer, then I do like Town Hall...that's my opinion though. Good luck in whatever you pick up, if you go with your heart you will be happy.

Now if you miss out on a modular set.....you can always download the instructions and order the parts via Bricklink ?

I know it might cost more that way, but once discontinued the price of MISB modulars go through the roof correct ?

This will depend heavily on which Modular we are talking about. TH will be problematic for Bricklinking. Because it has so many uniquely colored parts there will be a an issue where the price of the set will be driven up by the price of the parts and vice versus. TH will end up more expensive than PS or GE.

The Instructions will be available, but some of the parts may no longer be available and you will have to substitute. Like some of the CC windows and the green grooved bricks used in GG.

Yep, hence the 'blue grocer' that the brick link enthusiasts often refer to. Of course, I can imagine TH in several other colors that would be at least as satisfying as the colors that come with the set. I've got a lot of those TH red-orange bricks left over from my TH expansion project. They helped make for an interesting flower shop MOC based roughly on the GG floor plan.

If you could have only one of either, would you want an extra copy of either Town Hall or Haunted House to add to your existing one or do something else with? What color do you think will be harder to come by in the future - sand green, or dark orange?

As it stands, I have 2 Town Halls and 1 Haunted House. I've seen some people make nice modulars from two Haunted Houses. I also plan on building a Bricklinked Green Grocer. But on the other hand, I know Town Hall has a great selection of parts.

Should I trade my extra TH for a second HH, or keep what I have? What would you do?

I have 1 each of the Town Hall and the Haunted House, but I haven't gotten around to building them yet, so it's hard to tell. The Haunted House looks much more stunning than the Town Hall in my opinion, and sand green seems like a reasonably rare colour at the moment, what with the rush for blue grocers.

Maybe you could build an orange grocer from the Town Hall?

The TH is sold out on SH in the US and right be for I was going to but iam going tomthe lego store next week so I hope they have a few.

Grabbed my Town Hall from Oz lego site today due to all the scare mongering in this thread. Was going to pick it up in the U.S in a few weeks but thought i won't risk it for $40 bucks.

I ended up building PR last night and I have to say that my thoughts on this have changed completely. At first, it wasn't my favourite, but now I think it's an outstanding building. So many details, great building techniques and a beautiful facade. Also, the rear of the building is the best so far on modulars, IMO. I'm so happy with it. The only issue I've found (no pieces missing) is the hair on the waiter. It's so loose that it can be detached so easy. Never happened to me before. Looks like the same problem as in new MFC. Does anyone had the same problem with this figure?

What are people's opinions on Fire Brigade? I came to Lego right after it retired and wasn't at all interested in it from the pictures I had seen (for some reason, those brick-built flags look really bad to me), so I kind of pushed it to the bottom of my wanted list. I'm wondering, though, if I should try to pick one up before it really shoots up in value. Are there a lot of exclusive bricks/colors that would make it pricy to bricklink?