WesternOutlaw

Which company makes better pirate-themed sets?

Which do you like better?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favorite

• Lego 4+
    • Mega Bloks
    • Playmobil
    • Best-Lock
    • Papo
    • Other

No....ugh. If made by lego, does not mean it is cool. I NEVER said that! Since at least it's lego, IT can be used for MOCing. It has System brick compatable pieces. So, they're not a total waste after all.

ah...and if lego makes the worst s*beep*t in the world, is cool because at leats is lego |-/

With the exception of Bionicle. I don't care what the package says, I don't think Bionicle is Lego.

I'm agreeing with the Brickster; I have a ton of Bionicle and no way to use it.

Anyway, I voted 4+, for the same reasons already stated by others. The megablocks sets have so many large pieces that they don't improve your building skill and you can't use them in a Lego MOC; never heard of the others, apart from playmobil which I like as a kid but just don't digg now.

~Fredster~wozere~

Never having bought any of them recently, i cant properly answer. However from years ago, playmobil pirates were my second pirates of choice (after lego ofcourse), plus from when i was in a shop the other day, i spotted no fewer than four (count 'em!) different ships from the pirate era for sale, two of them under £25! So for value and quality, i would say playmobil, from an observation point of view :pir-wink:

Voted for Playmobil. When I was smaller I had lots of Playmobil. I like it a lot better that those copybrands. Playmobil got their own size and such. The others just copy TLC. And i really think some of the Playmobilfigs are good. Lots of details and the accessories should be adopted by TLC.

I think playmobil is the best after our beloved lego classic pirates. Lego 4+ has to big pieces :pir-sceptic: but the playmobil pirates have great playabilities; and thats what playmobil is made for. Just playing :pir-wink:

I voted for +4, for apparently the same reason some other people did.. playability and interchangeability with all my other bricks.

When Toys R Us had a sale on on the +4 Pirates line a few years ago, I bought 4 or 5 of the Captain Kragg sets for $2.99 each because I really like that little boat hull. I think it's pretty bad megablocks..

Playmobile had some pretty cool sets, but I never had any of them. One my friends growing up had the Wild West stuff with wagons and stuff, but there's no nostalgia there for me.

Oh, and I concur: Bionicle doesn't count as Lego

Well, I voted for megabloks. Before any of you start stoning me, I chose them because Playmobile is really useless for a lego fan like me, and because 4-Plus is an abomination that I'd like to forget. On the other hand, the Megabloks Pirates lines actually have a lot of interesting pieces, and some of their ships, while not really buildable, are amazing looking. If I had an unlimited supply of money, I would probably pick up some of the old POTC and Pyrates MB kits, because I can see some serious MOCing potential in the parts :pir-wink: (and I would know - I've actually built MOC's combining Lego and MB).

Oh, and I concur: Bionicle doesn't count as Lego
With the exception of Bionicle. I don't care what the package says, I don't think Bionicle is Lego.
I'm agreeing with the Brickster; I have a ton of Bionicle and no way to use it.

Gee, I was almost certain that this topic was about pirates, not about Bionicle. But going along with the flow, I fail to see why Bionicle is not lego. It has oodles of technic pieces, the ocassional system piece, you can build them, take them apart, and build them into something else, etc. Sounds like Lego to me... :pir_wacko:

I voted for Playmobil. I think it is the only brand with high quality, except for LEGO with the 4+ line. The last one is not very detailed, maybe because of the juniorization. Playmobil is full of details, especially the newer sets. However some older ships looks better than the new ones, maybe nostalgia, the same thing with LEGO for me.

Maybe I voted for Playmobil because I played a lot with it when I was a kid (also with LEGO of course :pir-wink: and always wanted a Playmobil pirate ship, but never got it.

Gotta be playmobil. It's the best theme they have, I mean it's even got seagulls for God's sake!

Detail to the max!

I've voted for Playmobil because some accessoires fit perfectly in LEGO MOCs, I talk about sacks, bottles, groceries, baskets and fish. I've used some in my MOCs but I've replaced them with real LEGO after all, except the bottles. :pir-blush:

I hoped Mega Bloks would make this set I saw at the Toyfair 05:

ship001.jpg

I bugged and bugged the Mega Bloks Help center wheter I could buy this and they replied "It was a prototype, It would never be mass-produced".

My heart sank. It was such a awesome set... :pir_bawling:

I vote for Playmobil, they have some really good ships, and the figs have lot of accesories.

I voted PlayMobil and I agree with Gobernador.

Look at the PlayMobil Pirate Line... nice figures prints and ships IMO.

Mega Blocks :sick: :sick: :sick::pir-sick: :pir-sick: :pir-sick: But they still make me sick.

Edited by Broadside

I'd haft to say that most of you are crazey. I'v been walking the toy departments for years and was allwase disipoynted with everythang I saw up ontill I dicsoverd Best-Lock on an airforc base in Nebraska. Of corse thay were all millitery but I coulden't get anough of then or find them enwar wene I got back to Minisota ether, pluse back then the fit was much better. There only down side was that the studs were slitly larger then Lego studs wich only became aperent wene your Miny fig's fot suddenley splits. And I found out that the Best-Lock briks only divided into havs insted of therds. But wene Thay finaly brought out a piret ship I was exstatic. Ferst, was the fact that somewone had finnaly produced a ship, and Second was that it dident look that bad unlike every thang els I had been seeing for years but I still coldent find the enwereand befor I new it ther were sudenly four of them that I still coudent find. And then thay were gone, for a short time at leest. But then at the toy store ther she was and I coudent stop myself I was so happy to find a nuther ship. But then I put it together and it desided to fall apart on me. So I just disided to redesin the thang into a for and aft riged ship and kik off he cruw and give it to somewon more desrving. And she is still serving today. And I'v got proff of the Exsistens of all Five of them if enyone wonts to see.

Edited by lego fox

I think Playmobil pirate sets are awesome . Loads of details .

The negative is its a bit plasiticy.

Not a patch on Lego though.

Old thread, but I'll play.

4+ shouldn't be on the list. The figs are off, but other than that, it might as well be system.

I voted for playmobile. I grew up with it, and the range of accessories is greater even than LEGO! It's not a building set, but offers tons of options for creative play, and is very well made.

MegaBloks isn't terrible, and is customizable, but it's really more like a poor comprimise between a building set and a playset, and if I want a playset, I'll go for the quality and european design of playmobile.

Having had experiences with Megabloks, and Playmobil (and obviously Lego :pir-classic: ), my vote is... stuck between the two. I remember having a large Playmobil collection, including a nice soldier building and a ship, and my Megabloks Pyrates collection had a large raft with a shark and three ships.(One of those being manned by a literal skeleton crew.) Sadly, I got rid of all of that before good ol' Lego Pirates was rereleased, so I can't have an ultimate battle for supremacy and control over my shelves. :pir_bawling:

It's just what you like most, do you want to play a lot with it, or do you want to have some really good-looking figures and buildings.. I chose the last one so I voted for Mega-Blocks, but for the ships I like playmobil and lego the best.