Mister Phes

Would you open a MISB SYSTEM Pirate set?

Mint In Sealed Box SYSTEM Pirate LEGO Sets  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Would you open them?

• Yes, LEGO was meant to be played with
    • No, they're now rare collectors items which need to be preserved
    • Depends on the set - some are more valuable than others
  2. 2. How many MISB SYSTEM Pirate sets do you think remain?

• 1000's
    • 100's
    • dozens
    • I really have no idea

Depends what set it is.

If it is either; A) Something not really worth opening, like 1464 Pirate Lookout; or B) Something that I don't really want, like the RBR, I'd leave it in the box.

However, if it's something like a CC, I'd open it as soon as I got my hands on it.

Bluebeard, out-

Edited by Capt. Bluebeard

Interesting thread. I'm not into the Pirates line at all but I end up buying and hoarding MISB sets, although not for the usual "collector" reasons.

I buy MISB sets mainly just because I'm very picky about part quality. :pir-tongue: As far as I am concerned, there is no difference between an MISB set and a display model that has been built once and includes everything that comes with the MISB one. I jump on such display model deals whenever I see them, but otherwise it's usually hard to tell what you're getting with any kind of used set.

I probably have around 150 MISB sets in my closet (well, MIB technically, as I have opened most of the box seals to make sure the manuals and stuff inside is not crumpled), mostly Space and Technic things from the late 80s and 90s along with some recent sets. I started buying them in 2000 and my collection has grown a lot over the last several years, originally because of a lack of space to display them all and more recently also due to a lack of time to build them. When I have time for Lego these days, I usually find myself working on my MOC projects instead of breaking out some of those MISB sets. I am always on the lookout for ebay deals on these things and tend to buy the sets at a much faster rate than I open and build them, so they have racked up over the years. I figure that I will get around to building all of them eventually though (although maybe several years into the future), so I certainly intend to hold on to them.

Edited by CP5670

Yes, I would take it out and build it, but I'd be really careful with the box...

What difference does it make if you're looking at an unopened box or one that's carefully been opened? Makes no difference to me- I'm not gonna sell it. I'd much prefer to see the beautiful LEGO set in 3D than an 2D cover on an expensive box. :pir-tongue:

Plus it's a waste if it's not taken out and cuddled, like it was made to be? :pir-cry_happy: How would you like it if you were kept MISB in... Let's keep that as it is. :pir-blush::pir-look:

EDIT: Bump... :blush:

I voted choice number 3 simply because there're a lot of Pirates sets out there I'd love to have that I don't have which I probably never will. :pir_bawling:

But I voted in the hundreds; I seriously don't think there are that many Pirate MISB sets out there. But who knows?

I think MISB sets to keep are so silly. What's the fun on that? Nothing, really. LEGO is made to be played with, so you open it and play with it. But: MISB is handy when you want to buy something. It's always nice to buy MISB sets rather than a set with no box.

It depens if I don't have that set or not. If I do, I save it MISB. Not that I like keep MISB, but those are great value when the years passes by.

I don't really see what's so 'silly' to collect sealed boxes. It's not sillier than clipsing plastic parts together to make whatever horrible thing (:pir-tongue:) to finally un-build it. Collecting sealed boxes is just another way to enjoy the stuff. I think that the very basic purpose of a toy is to enjoy it, not the way you handle it.

I personally collect sets, a lot are MISB. I would never open an older set, I would prefer to sell it or to buy another, used copy. I recently sold some of my Pirates MISB sets including a 6270 Forbidden Island. I even sold a mini-figures pack 6251 on eBay to a 'Mr Phes' from Australia :pir-laugh:

I hope I can be forgiven for not reading all 14 pages. I think that LEGO was meant to be played with. I agree with the folks who said that they would exchange for a couple of non MISB sets.

However, if it's going to be a hassle, or it's not going to fetch considerably more than the unboxed version, I'm probaly going to break it open and build it, just for the fun of getting it "new". Then I'm going to improve on the design with my own pieces, and after a few weeks of having it sit on my mantle... :pir-devil: ...

I'm going to take the pieces and sort them into my collection, to be forever mixed amongst their like shaped/colored siblings. Oh, the horror!!!

However, I might throw the collectors a bone and sell the box on bricklink! :pir-tongue:

I have made a habit of opening sealed boxes of supposed 'rare' sets. I pay the price I'm willing to pay so that I can enjoy the set as it was originally intended. All my friends and family know that when I say I 'collect' Lego I really mean that I accumulate it. :pir-tongue: My coworkers used to laugh when I told them that my Lego collection, if bagged up and sold as the specific sets, is worth more then my house. After showing them how much someone would pay for a White Ninja or an original Black Seas Barracuda with firing cannons(and telling them I have 3 of each) they stopped laughing. :wink:

I still have some sets that aren't opened yet, but only because I haven't gotten to them. I have a ton of original Star Wars sets that I got on the super cheap when my local KB filed for bankruptcy protection. I love seeing sets I paid pennies for going for 30 and 40 dollars each, but I know that I don't have the heart to sell them. However, if I was working on a MOC and needed something that could only be found in one of those sets they'd be open in a heart beat.

Really, how a person derives their joy from a toy doesn't matter to me. I get my joy from creating and building and seeing/hearing the response from people when they see a finished work. However, collecting unopened boxes is no different from collecting figurines or stamps. They serve no real purpose other then to make the person collecting them feel a sense of accomplishment and pride.

My take on this is, if you're not going to open them then someone else eventually will. I wouldn't open MISB pirate sets only if I was going to sell them.

I get my joy from creating and building and seeing/hearing the response from people when they see a finished work. However, collecting unopened boxes is no different from collecting figurines or stamps. They serve no real purpose other then to make the person collecting them feel a sense of accomplishment and pride.

In other words; your finished work does give you a sense of accomplishment and pride. I don't see any other real purpose than that either. :pir-skull:

For me, it depends - this is a touchy issue as I understand it, but as someone (and I've forgotten who, sorry!) in the space forum who was reviewing a MISB set (It wasn't that rare though) said, "I collect Lego, not Cardboard."

THAT BEING SAID, if I ever got a large/valuable/hard to find MISB set, rather than opening it I would trade it for itself in a used state (read: opened) and maybe some other goodies too. I understand how important this is to some collectors, so my reasoning is this: If you want my MISB set, be prepared to pony up the original and a little something extra! =D

(Actually, that reminds me - from now on I'll put recent MISB set gains in my sig until I open them, and allow people to do that...seems a good idea to me.)

~Trexxen

This isn't going to sound nice, but the way I see it, there is only two reasons for not wanting to open a MISB Lego set. First, you already have the set and don't need the parts or didn't like the set. Second, you are greedy and want to make a profit on someone else's missed opportunity.

Let me explain. Lego sets are made to be played with. They were never meant to be placed on a self and hidden away for years. Face it, you can't take it with you when you die, and unless you just enjoy looking at the box (buying just the box would be cheaper) you should sell it and make someone's day. So then comes the greed. People will go out there and buy as many sets as possible and store them just to resale them at outrageous prices. I saw a MISB SES on Bricklink for over $1,000 USD. Now why would any body buy a SES and not want to open it. At $1,000+ I wouldn't open it!

Enough ranting, I'm actually glad there are people out there that are hording MISB sets. It gives future generations (future wealthy generations) the opportunity to have a complete set. Plus it's a good investment if you can sell it. I'm actually looking to buy some complete sets soon, some MISB. I will be opening then for the parts though.

I think the best thing TLC could do is re-release an old set form each theme every six months or a year. This would lower prices and give new generations of children access to classic sets.

Sorry if all this has been posted to this tread already. I was just too lazy to read through 15 pages.

Tony

Hi!

If I would get my hands on a rare set for some reason, I'd probably leave it intact to eventually sell it on ePay. Unfortunately, due to a lack of time and procrastination when it comes to selling on ePay, chances are it would stay in my possession much longer.

Aside from that, my LEGO is meant to be played with. The MISB sets I currently have are still intact due to lack of time. Besides, for now I have pretty much ceised building because by the end of the year we'll hopefully move to a new house. Lego bricks are easier to move around than complicated constructions.

If you are unsure of whether to opn it due to resale, then the magic of lego is really lost of you, though if you just like the box, just don't damage it when opening it. And really, MISB lego is even sadder than MISB transformers, since with transformers, you get half the fun at least through the plastic window, but with lego, all you get besides a pretty box is rattling bricks.

It any body is in the market for Mint In Sealed Box sets I've just found some on eBay - 6267 Lagoon Lockup, 6264 Forbidden Cove and 6289 Red Beard Runner.

I'd seriously consider winning the Lagoon Lockup but the seller isn't accepting international bids so that puts me out of the running.

For everyone else I've listed them in the Mint in Sealed Box MADNESS so bid away!

I would never open an MISB pirate set. That is a sacred piece of Lego history that is a collector's item.

I don't even know what MISB stands for...

My Imagination Sits Baboon ?

can someone tell me what is it please ? ^^

Mint In Sealed Box.

I always open the box. I buy these sets for the model, and not for the rarity. I buy mostly old sets that are no longer available in most of the shops, but that is more because I like the older sets more, not because those sets are rare and have value.

The only time I buy a set MISB and not open it, is when I'm going to sell it somewhere.

Edited by Richie

I don't even know what MISB stands for...

My Imagination Sits Baboon ?

can someone tell me what is it please ? ^^

Mint (condition) In Sealed Box

EDIT: looks like I was beaten to it by Sir richie

Edited by zorro3999

thanks a lot Richie ( edit: and Zorro ^^ I posted while you were :P ) ... it means that some crazy people buy sets and don't open the box Oo , I'm shocked !

If I buy a set, firstly , It's because I liked how it look, I enjoy to build it , and I enjoy to use it pieces to makes mocs, I DON T CARE if in 50 years the "MISB" will have a great value, for me, to not open a toy-box that is meant to play with, is a waste... a toy is done to be used, it's like people that collect old cars and just put them in a garage... HEY ! it wasn't build for this! you're insulting the guy who built it! just take it and go on the road, make it goes as fast as it can! make it LIVE ! that's the same for bricks : bricks in box have no value at all, they are dead bricks. I don't know If someone understood what I meant, but that's my opinion ^^

Edited by Guss

thanks a lot Richie ( edit: and Zorro ^^ I posted while you were :P ) ... it means that some crazy people buy sets and don't open the box Oo , I'm shocked !

If I buy a set, firstly , It's because I liked how it look, I enjoy to build it , and I enjoy to use it pieces to makes mocs, I DON T CARE if in 50 years the "MISB" will have a great value, for me, to not open a toy-box that is meant to play with, is a waste... a toy is done to be used, it's like people that collect old cars and just put them in a garage... HEY ! it wasn't build for this! you're insulting the guy who built it! just take it and go on the road, make it goes as fast as it can! make it LIVE ! that's the same for bricks : bricks in box have no value at all, they are dead bricks. I don't know If someone understood what I meant, but that's my opinion ^^

That's kinda what I was getting at in my last post. Not too sucessfully though. So well explained Guss!

It depends...if I already have the set and then I would get the oppurtunity to buy a MISB set at a fair price, I will not doubt and buy it, just to leave it untouched somewere in my closet. Not to sell (maybe, if I get a small fortune), but to keep it as a memorablia.

I only have one MISB set...(a blue falcon catapult)more like ISB anyway since the box is damaged.

Edited by zorro3999