Andy D

Photos on Eurobricks

I have been thinking about posted photos on EB.

I see some posts that have quite a few photos and I scroll through them and look at them all.

I have seen some posts that post a sample of the photos available and then direct you to a second site to view the remainder.

If I am sufficiently interested by the photos presented I am more than willing and I do go to the second site to view additional photos.

I’m not a Knight, so I can’t make a poll, but…

What do you like best? (a few sample photos or all that are available?)

Andy D

I prefer the photos to be in the thread. I'm not always on my PC when viewing the forum and links to other pages can be slow and annoying.

Cheers

Rog

I much prefer to view all the pictures in one thread, it's very rare that i'll click on a link to someone's Flickr account etc...unless it's an awesome moc.

Speaking as someone who originally posted only one photo on EB and linked to flickr or MOCpages, I much prefer having all the photos in the EB thread. I want people to see my work - I don't think it's fair to make the people giving me the courtesy of viewing my MOCs click through a link if they want to see more just so that I can save a couple minutes of time by not embedding more pictures. (on that note, links leading away from EB on the boards open the target in a new window, which is annoying [even if all you have to do is hold down the Command or Control key to open it in a new tab instead]) EB is my primary interest as far as LEGO websites are concerned, anyways, so it's not as if I want people to click on links to increase the traffic on another website.

I like all the photos in-thread, unless they're near-duplicates of images that are already there.

I much prefer to view all the pictures in one thread, it's very rare that i'll click on a link to someone's Flickr account etc...unless it's an awesome moc.

Same. I like to see the different details in the thread. Just makes viewing easier.

I prefer to see the photos in the thread but, don't mind linking to other pages. I just assume the chosen photos in the post are the better ones default_classic.gif

I prefer to see photos on EB as I find that if I go to the link, I tend to go exploring there and forget about what I was doing on EB.

Maybe it is something to do with old age. :laugh:

I prefer a handful of photos on EB and the rest hosted elsewhere. But I have no real objection either way.

I will often look at people's work off EB (clicking on their link) if I want to see more details, but that is just my browsing preference.

:laugh: Brickie, I think I have the same issue, and I will continue to deny it has anything to do with my age.

Edited by lorax

It's the same for me. At our local LUG forum, the rule is 10 photos max., so I choose the best 10, and include a link to another site where the rest of the photos are. Sometimes I take 30+ photos, and some details are taken from different view points.

However, on one hand, it is easier to view all the photos in one thread, whereas on the other hand, seeing some details from different angles might be a bit dull for someone not that interested in the detail. As for me, if I found special interest in the MOC, I see no problem in viewing more details off EB.

Interesting question, given that I just yesterday posted a MOC with 9 out of 30 (+5) photos here. :)

Well, I think having just one or two photos here is too few (except for very small MOCs/vignettes), but having 30+ with possibly several similar ones, like Redhead1982 mentioned, might become a bit dull and you'd start scrolling down faster. So I think picking the best 5 to max. 15 would be a good compromise...

There are so many MOCs out there that I give most only a cursory glance. Waiting for more than a dozen or so pictures to load in a discussion board is tedious, certainly if the model in question isn't all that interesting. If the first few pictures aren't interesting, I often can't be bothered to wait and scroll down. I click away and am unlikely to ever look at the rest or leave a comment. If there are only a few, however, I will probably see all of them and may write something, even if the MOC isn't everything I think it could be.

So, I prefer a few pictures in the thread and a link to the rest. If I'm interested, I will go to flickr or MOCpages or wherever the rest are hosted. That's how I do it too. I chose a few nice pictures that give a general view and they link to flickr.

Cheers,

Ralph

I prefer the photos in-thread. I rarely, if ever, click to view them on another website even if I like the MOC. It just makes it easier to scroll down and comment immediately instead of potentially commenting on another site that I would have to log into.

But I agree on limits of the best 8 or 10 or whatever the limit is. Too many more, only diehards would want to look at all the details at different angles.

Same. I like to see the different details in the thread. Just makes viewing easier.

I agree, the point is to get people to view your work, so technically they are doing you a favor, so I think you should make it as easy for them as possible.

I prefer to have a few of the best interesting 640x480 (or 800x600) photos in the thread. If you have higher res or more details, then a link to them. I don't have super high speed internet and a 12 megapixel (4000x3000) image would take a long time to load.

What I am getting from all this is to present enough photos, but not too many, to adequately show the MOC, MOD or whatever. Then maybe provide a link for additional, supplemental yet hopefully interesting photos to off-site.

What I plan to do is to try to keep the number of photos to 10 or less (of the appropriate size) in-thread, then provide a link to my album for additional photos as well as larger sizes for those that want to see greater detail.

Thanks to all who participated in my question.

Andy D

I agree, the point is to get people to view your work, so technically they are doing you a favor, so I think you should make it as easy for them as possible.

On the other hand, it is a bit presumptuous to assume that people are going to take the time to see all the details, which means you're doing them a favour by just showing a nice overview.

Cheers,

Ralph

I also think its best to post the photos in the thread and then deep-link them. Brickshelf is easier to deal with then Flickr, and Photobucket is the worst for linking too.

If you have lots of picks reduce them to 400 pxl. if there are only a few then use 800 or 640 pxl. version!

but pictures are always great! :blush:

Edited by grogall

Since I read the forum mostly on my phone I find it annoying if a thread contains a lot of big photos.

I prefer a small number of photos that give a good impression of the MOC and a link o more photos.

I don't have any strong feelings, but I think if forced I'd prefer to see them all in the thread. What i do find really annoying is that when I click the link to follow it, it not only goes to the link (Leaving Euro Bricks.) but also opens another window on top of that with the exact same link. I then have to close one to view them properly and then click back to return to EB. What i would like and it must be possible is for it to either open a new window and leave EB open in the original, or just go to the link and not open a new one at all. Either would be fine. It is just if I am using one of my other computers they are a bit older and take ages to load two pages of photos. (This one is fine, but sometimes the wife is hogging it!)

I don't have any strong feelings, but I think if forced I'd prefer to see them all in the thread. What i do find really annoying is that when I click the link to follow it, it not only goes to the link (Leaving Euro Bricks.) but also opens another window on top of that with the exact same link. I then have to close one to view them properly and then click back to return to EB. What i would like and it must be possible is for it to either open a new window and leave EB open in the original, or just go to the link and not open a new one at all. Either would be fine. It is just if I am using one of my other computers they are a bit older and take ages to load two pages of photos. (This one is fine, but sometimes the wife is hogging it!)

If you're using a recent version of Internet Explorer, that behaviour seems to be caused by the forum software sending older HTML to IE. If you turn on the broken page function for EB, by clicking the little torn page icon near refresh, you'll find things work as expected.

Yeah, I was just going to say the same thing. It was one of the things that just made me lose my patience with IE. It's just working too slow and tends to crash far too often. So I switched to Firefox - highly recommended.

It depends. My internet is very slow, so having tons of pictures pop up on EB can be a slow and frustrating experience. Honestly, I never go to someone's Bricklink or Flicker unless the MOC is very good. Even then, I prefer to download the images so I can save them for future use. Flicker especially is very frustrating and incredibly annoying when the pictures cannot be downloaded. Generally, for me, Flicker is an absolute no, no. Brickshelf is also a bit annoying for downloading images because you need to open each picture in a separate tab and then save them. This is often, for my slow internet, a long and frustrating experience. I think the best is to have a decent amount of pictures (maybe between five and ten) posted on EB, and then a whole bunch of download links for the other pictures. Although, that will take a fair bit of time for the poster. :look:

PS: Oh, then you can still have a link to the Flicker or Brickshelf account if anyone is interested. :grin:

Yeah, I was just going to say the same thing. It was one of the things that just made me lose my patience with IE. It's just working too slow and tends to crash far too often. So I switched to Firefox - highly recommended.

The only issue I have with Firefox, and any other non-internet explorer web browser that I have used, is that they cannot save to, nor open, mhtml files, and to me, if I cannot save it in mhtml, I will probably not save it.

Doesn't anyone share my feelings about this, :cry_sad:

Generally, I use Firefox for the most part and then internet explorer for downloading mhtml files and opening them. :laugh:

Flicker especially is very frustrating and incredibly annoying when the pictures cannot be downloaded. Generally, for me, Flicker is an absolute no, no.

This is getting off-topic, but as a big fan of Flickr I have to ask what you mean when you say that the pictures cannot be downloaded. I have no problems downloading images from Flickr (although I don't bother; I prefer to watch them online)... PM me if you don't know how to do it, and I'll happily tell you.

Now back on topic: Personally, as I have a broadband connection, I don't mind there being many (or large) pictures in a post. If there isn't, and the MOC interests me, I'll happily go to another site to watch more - and I much prefer Flickr to what I feel is the hopelessly old-fashioned and user-hostile interface of Brickshelf. But that might just be me...

This is getting off-topic, but as a big fan of Flickr I have to ask what you mean when you say that the pictures cannot be downloaded. I have no problems downloading images from Flickr (although I don't bother; I prefer to watch them online)... PM me if you don't know how to do it, and I'll happily tell you.

I too like flickr, in particular because downloading the pictures I post on it is made harder. As a flickr use you can limit downloads to your contacts or to other flickr users only (although there are ways around it, of course). I've done that for my pictures. Doing that has cut down plagiarism of my photos dramatically. I do understand the sentiment about flickr a bit, though. Before I used flickr myself I didn't really like using the site either. Going from a single picture linked in a thread to an overview of all the pictures of the MOC in question is awkward, unless you know about tags or they are all in the same set. Brickshelf has been on the verge of going belly up so long now that I don't even remember the last time I uploaded anything there.

Looking at the replies in this thread, there's no obvious consensus on what people prefer. Some prefer all pictures in the thread because the don't like going to an external site. Other people prefer a few, because it takes less time and if the MOC in question is good, they will go to the external site. I think I'll stick to doing what I always do: a few pictures in the thread and the rest on flickr, but perhaps I'll add a link to the set as well.

Cheers,

Ralph