Rumble Strike

Themes, do you dabble?

I've not long been out of my Dark Ages, and yet I've bought sets from many different themes including Atlantis, City, Star Wars, Prince of Persia, Pirates, Pharaoh's Quest, POTC and just this afternoon ordered a couple of small Kingdoms sets!

Is it normal to flit between themes, dabbling in what takes your fancy? Or do you guys and girls stick rigidly to a theme?

Is it normal to flit between themes, dabbling in what takes your fancy? Or do you guys and girls stick rigidly to a theme?

I've got bits of everything, some like Atlantis I was merely interested in the parts (all those lovely white 2x2 round bricks with grills) and there are some which I'm more interested in than others (Pirates, Star Wars, Technic and the Modular buildings) but that doesn't stop me picking up others if I like the look of them.

Of course there are others like NinjaGo and Hero Factory that I can't find any enthusiasm for at all, but that's to be expected. Thankfully I'm not the sort who feels the need to have a complete set, so I can happily skip sets if I don't like them.

I wish I would've stuck to just city, it would make things a lot easier. But, I collect about 8 themes at the moment.

Lets just say that Star Wars brought me out of my dark ages and LEGO is having no problem coming up with more and more themes that I just can't live without, so yes, I've been dabbling everywhere. :sweet:

Well, thanks to my son wanting a police station.....city brought me out of my dark ages. Star Wars, Kingdom's, Cars2, POTC, Ninjago and still....City after all these years I still enjoy building and MOCing.

May the brick be with us all ! :sweet:

I mostly collect town/city but dabble in all themes. I've got hundreds of town/city sets but at least a couple of every other theme too.

Cheers

Rog

The theme I try to stick to is City (as some of you might know), I do try and collect some of the action themes which mix in with City in some way but besides that. I'm a City collector and I don't think I'll be changing anytime soon :classic: .

Oh and I try to get a few Creator sets as well. Mainly for the houses

I dabble a little. If I like it, I buy it whether it's in one of my favorite themes or not. I mostly buy modular sets and creator sets that feature buildings (as opposed to vehicles). I've bought a couple of Harry Potter sets because I like the buildings. I want a couple of the new Kingdoms sets and a couple of the PoTC sets.

I have to admit that I have no interest in Star Wars (from a Lego standpoint, I love the movies), Atlantis, Ninjago or Alien Conquest.

I like some of the City Buildings and Pharaoh's Quest stuff but I haven't bought many because they are never my favorite of what is out at the time.

Lets just say that Star Wars brought me out of my dark ages and LEGO is having no problem coming up with more and more themes that I just can't live without, so yes, I've been dabbling everywhere. :sweet:

This is the case for me, too. In the mid-to-late '90s I began to notice LEGO sets in stores again and feel stirrings of my old passion, and then in the early 2000s, not long after the Star Wars theme began in 1999, its pull became irresistible to me, and I got sucked back into LEGO - and not just for Star Wars, I quickly found, but for all kinds of things. I eventually began basing purchasing decisions mainly just on what I was able to get, since I wanted everything anyway. In the last ten years or so I've gotten sets from World City, City, Adventurers, Pharaohs Quest, Aqua Raiders, Atlantis, Power Miners, Agents, Space Police (III), Arctic, Sports, Wild West, Castle, Knights Kingdom (II), Kingdoms, Pirates, NinjaGo, Games, Studios, Jurassic Park, Spider-Man, Batman, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Toy Story, Cars, Spongebob Squarepants, Speed Racer, Prince of Persia, Pirates of the Caribbean, Belville, Creator, Designer, Duplo, Technic, Mindstorms... you name it! I have at least one or two sets from lots of different things, but sadly, few complete themes (Indiana Jones, Prince of Persia and Toy Story are the themes I've been most successful at completing, while Star Wars is the one I have the most of).

I get lots of different themes. If there's parts or minifigs that interest ms in a set, I don't care what theme it's from. Although, sometimes I wish I could stick to just one theme, so that I could have a large co-ordinated layout.

I think it's natural to want all themes; I know I do, though I try to stick to Star Wars. I do dabble in Castle and Town as well, but I like to keep that down to a minimum.

I stick to Star Wars as best I can, cause every time I dabble into another theme, I'm drawn back into SW and now I have parts I never use. Only exceptions were Indiana Jones and Batman. I bought a couple of pharaohs quests sets back when they first came out, and they're all spare parts now. So I'm doing my best to stick with SW.

I used to try to get at least some of the small sets from every theme, but now I'm more focused on what appeals to me rather than try to "collect them all". There's no one theme that I like the best at the moment, but if I see a cool set with good pieces and/or minifigs, I'll get it.

So yes, you could say I dabble. :classic:

Originally I just got the Star Wars stuff and on EXTREMELY rare occasion a Space set, but now I get stuff from any theme (often just for parts though). This year alone I've gotten sets from Atlantis, Ninjago, Pharaoh's quest, Hero Factory, Kingdoms, City, the Collectible Minifigs (Wow I've spent too much on those), Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Wars, World Racers, Toy Story, the Modular Buildings, and one of the "Large Scale Sets", and thats not even including the 10+ themes I've bought from this year online or at garage sales or other places.

Hmmm. Earliest big theme was Star Wars, and that was my largest target until 07. Along the way I would occasionally pick up a Harry Potter. Then I sort of split off from it. I dabbled in Agents and Batman, became addicted to Exo-Force for a long while, and spent a year working up on Fantasy Era Castle. Some Indy, Space Police was next, alongside it Power Miners, I've got a respectable number of those. And then Prince of Persia. Oh, man, I'm still not over that. :blush: But I'm gonna have to shift some space for Pirates of the Carribbean.

So here's my timeline...

1999 - 2006 Star Wars

2006 Batman

2006 - 2007 Exo Force

2007 Agents

2007 - 2008 Indiana Jones

2007 - 2009 Fantasy Era

2008 - 2009 Power Miners

2009 - 2010 Space Police

2010 Prince of Persia

I'm sure some of that's a little off, but that's just a rough interpretation.

Well, this is my 3rd trip back from the dark ages and it has been Star Wars every time that has drug me back. Once I'm back though, I can't help but branch out. This time I told myself I was going to strictly stick with Star Wars (at least until I completed the collection), but I've already branched off to Prince of Persia, POTC, Creator, Technic, and Modulars. Who knows what will be next though.

Clanure

I have no allegiances to any specific themes. I buy whatever appeals to me, generally this is dictated by set design and playability.

I don't go out of my way to acquire specific minifigures, nor do I place a restriction on how much money I'll spend on a specific theme. I don't go out of my way to test the waters by buying a set from every theme to see what I like, though I find there is generally at least 1 set I like from most themes. I find just about every year there's a theme that I wish to collect in its entirety. However, I don't put a huge priority on getting sets from that theme in any way that would restrict me from buying sets from other lines.

What percentage of us came out of our dark ages due to Star Wars? TLG really struck gold with that license. I myself came out of my dark ages in 1999 because of Slave 1 and stuck exclusively to Star Wars until the wonderful and much-too-short-lived Batman. Since then I dabble in anything even remotely historical (castle, pharaoh's quest, ninjago, POTC). I think there are only a couple themes that you could actually stay exclusive to- castle, city, Star Wars-because all other themes are too short-lived.

What percentage of us came out of our dark ages due to Star Wars? TLG really struck gold with that license. I myself came out of my dark ages in 1999 because of Slave 1 and stuck exclusively to Star Wars until the wonderful and much-too-short-lived Batman. Since then I dabble in anything even remotely historical (castle, pharaoh's quest, ninjago, POTC). I think there are only a couple themes that you could actually stay exclusive to- castle, city, Star Wars-because all other themes are too short-lived.

I came out mine in thanks to Cafe Corner and Market Street. I would sometimes in cases of boredom go to TRU or Targets toy aisle and just window shop everything. I don't remember what I went on Lego.com to look at, but I'm glad I did.

Like others, it started with Star Wars. Now it's anything Sci-Fi based and whatever else I find appealing.

I was a train enthusiast... unbelievably the set that got me into LEGO as an adult was 4561, Railway Express (perhaps the ugliest 9V set ever); but it was on sale - so I got two. I didn't even know LEGO made such trains.

After seeing my interest in LEGO, and knowing I'm a big Star Wars nerd fan, my mom bought me 7127, Imperial AT-ST... I actually still didn't get into Star Wars at the time, LEGO was too expensive (still is... I don't know if I have brain damage or something being a big collector now). But after several years of passing up other themes, and missing out on Harry Potter (or so I thought at the time), I started buying Star Wars... too many. I actually scaled back to just OT sets.

But then I also got into Castle because I'm a big LOTR fan, and Fantasy Era was the closest we were going to get. Still angry they practically advertised elves and never released them until CMFs. My love for Castle stuck around and I have some of the new Kingoms sets, too.

Going along with the train theme, I started buying the beautiful modular buildings and some of the creator houses.

I also got a few technic sets, and love CMFs; they started back in with Harry Potter, so I started getting them, too. Not a pirates fan, but love the Imperial Flagship and got one of those - I also like POTC, but don't want to get into yet another theme... got a couple of the smaller sets, though, and intend on getting QAR and the Black Pearl when it's available.

I also got the Toy Story train, but only because I'm into trains. Along the way I've picked up most of the architecture series and a handful of smaller polybags for themes like Atlantis just because I thought some of the figures and squids and stuff were cool.

Got some NASA sets, too... so yeah, I'm kind of all over the place (and broke). My wanted list is wonderfully short right now, though... I'm pretty happy about that.

EDIT: I also picked up some POP and Pharaoh's Quest because they look kind of cool and were on sale.

Edited by fred67

I am all over the place too. If I had to pick two, they would be Town and Technics.

I've not long been out of my Dark Ages, and yet I've bought sets from many different themes including Atlantis, City, Star Wars, Prince of Persia, Pirates, Pharaoh's Quest, POTC and just this afternoon ordered a couple of small Kingdoms sets!

With some important exceptions, I buy sets mostly to use their parts in MOCing. Because of that I have two main "drivers" for my purchases, a positive driver being the availability of useful and interesting bricks within a set, and a negative driver being the price of the set (with the exclusion of CM Series and a few small sets I don't think I've ever yet bought a set that wasn't on discount).

This means to me that dabbling would be the norm for me, as long as sets belonging to an alien theme have good useful parts and low price. However, it also means that practically all licensed themes are off-limits because even when discounted they're still low in the parts/euro ratio. Fancy action themes also usually have bricks in too funky colours for my tastes, so even when discounted I'm not really interested.

The end result is that when it comes to retail sets I've bought mostly City (the most commonly discounted ones), Creator and Castle. They have lots of useful bricks but also the key property that the main model is rarely too good to be unable to tear it down for parts.

Oh you could say I dabble.

I love to MOC and there are some themes that I have liked all through my life no matter what medium it is: Adventure/Exploration, Flight, Scince Fiction, Castles and Racing, with a brief passion for being a Pirate (I used to wear a bandanna and pasted homemade flags above my bed boat). Of course, this means that the things I build follow along those lines too. I think I have only ever collected the entire line of one theme: Speed Racer, the rest is manic picking of cheaper sets (£10 and under) over the course of a wave and if something is on sale or clearance at the supermarket, usualy I'll go for that too. If a theme really catches my attention, I might buy more of it, but rarely do I want the biggest sets.

Just one small aside, I only buy Star Wars battlepacks, except this year (without knowing exactly why) there is just no appeal from even those. I am not a fan of it and they simply make a useful parts pack for my figure building/an investment if I ever do need to make a bit of money quick.

LEGO is only limited by your imagination, so if a certain theme strikes me, I will be buying a lot of it. Pharaoh's Quest and Kingdoms so far this year, with a great anticipation for Alien Conquest later.

The collectable minifigures are also a "theme" I stick too.