Sign in to follow this  
soccerkid6

[MOC] Frost Driller

An Ice Planet truck for Febrovery. The general chassis and shape came to mind quickly after I got the wheels together, but completing all the details took longer than expected. Has a few functional bits as the drill arm is articulated and the cabin opens in such a way that the driver could actually board the vehicle.

53529138606_ea7d75eef6_c.jpg

53529323128_8c8e3cece7_c.jpg

53528238787_0a5defddb3_c.jpg

More images available on Brickbuilt.

Very cool build, @soccerkid6!  Maybe it's my nostalgia for Ice Planet 2002 or the fact that I recently filled out my collection of original sets and am currently working to complete more, but I really like this rover!

The custom wheel treads are well built, but it seems they might provide more traction if they were flipped around so the sharp corner would dig into the ground while travelling forward (the small inner treads are what I would consider to be the "correct" way but should probably also be flipped as the smaller of the 2 for reverse grip, since the vehicle would likely be designed to go forward more than reverse, though maybe this is incorrect due to the rear-mounted drill).  Just curious if you had reasoning for this or just made a decision... I like to pick apart the engineering details.

The mechanical components of the drill arm are well done.  Does the hydraulic cylinder rod slide into the cylinder base when the arm lifts?

Using the classic windshield piece in this sideways configuration works very well.  The entire cockpit is well-shaped, and I like the inclusion of the transparent neon orange rear windows (1x2 bricks?).  I also really like the functional control hatch and seat that drop open for access.  The pentagonal 2x3 wedge tiles in blue really add a lot to the aesthetic.

Through all of the LEGO Space themes, my personal opinion is still that the Ice Planet 2002 color scheme tops all others, though I am nostalgic for many of the 90's Space color schemes and like the different contrasts for the factions.

Also, it's always great to see the classic minifigure, especially with an excellent updated mini-drill/chainsaw... I may be using the same/similar technique in my Ice Planet 2002 updated MOC's in the future.

The cockpit-design is delightfully ingenius. I also really like the drill arm. Very well finished model all around!

Sweet build. Lots of innovative designs to make the driller while still keeping the Ice Planet 2002 scheme. I like how the cockpit floor opens.

21 hours ago, Slegengr said:

Very cool build, @soccerkid6!  Maybe it's my nostalgia for Ice Planet 2002 or the fact that I recently filled out my collection of original sets and am currently working to complete more, but I really like this rover!

The custom wheel treads are well built, but it seems they might provide more traction if they were flipped around so the sharp corner would dig into the ground while travelling forward (the small inner treads are what I would consider to be the "correct" way but should probably also be flipped as the smaller of the 2 for reverse grip, since the vehicle would likely be designed to go forward more than reverse, though maybe this is incorrect due to the rear-mounted drill).  Just curious if you had reasoning for this or just made a decision... I like to pick apart the engineering details.

The mechanical components of the drill arm are well done.  Does the hydraulic cylinder rod slide into the cylinder base when the arm lifts?

Using the classic windshield piece in this sideways configuration works very well.  The entire cockpit is well-shaped, and I like the inclusion of the transparent neon orange rear windows (1x2 bricks?).  I also really like the functional control hatch and seat that drop open for access.  The pentagonal 2x3 wedge tiles in blue really add a lot to the aesthetic.

Through all of the LEGO Space themes, my personal opinion is still that the Ice Planet 2002 color scheme tops all others, though I am nostalgic for many of the 90's Space color schemes and like the different contrasts for the factions.

Also, it's always great to see the classic minifigure, especially with an excellent updated mini-drill/chainsaw... I may be using the same/similar technique in my Ice Planet 2002 updated MOC's in the future.

Thanks Slegengr! Appreciate your detailed thoughts. You're right about the wheels, I considered swapping to the orientation you suggested at one point, but ultimately left them as you see now. I think because it made them look more circular - though that might also have been before I added the third stud of width with alternating direction. There is indeed a working 'hydraulic' cylinder, not really stable enough for play but the rod does slide in and out of a friction pin to allow the arm to swing in or out.

9 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Particularly like the cockpit on this!

Thank you, I was pleasantly surprised to find an easy way to integrate it in this orientation.

5 hours ago, -DoNe- said:

The cockpit-design is delightfully ingenius. I also really like the drill arm. Very well finished model all around!

Thanks! The drill arm was one of the last things built, and needed some time and referencing real life excavators

3 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Absolutely fantastic! :wub:

The windshield and wheels are unconventional! :thumbup:

Thanks, I wanted to try some brick built wheels for a change and was happy with how these turned out.

2 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Sweet build. Lots of innovative designs to make the driller while still keeping the Ice Planet 2002 scheme. I like how the cockpit floor opens.

Glad to hear you like the opening cockpit! I was thinking about how would someone be able to get in, and this sort of opening hatch came to mind from spaceships. And after thinking of it, it seemed too fun not to include :laugh:

27 minutes ago, EamonnMR said:

This slaps, excellent work!

Many thanks!

Oh, this is really great! I love the industrial feel of it, and you've nailed the Ice Planet color scheme (both in terms of the colors used and the balance of them).

1 hour ago, soccerkid6 said:

Thanks Slegengr! Appreciate your detailed thoughts. You're right about the wheels, I considered swapping to the orientation you suggested at one point, but ultimately left them as you see now. I think because it made them look more circular - though that might also have been before I added the third stud of width with alternating direction. There is indeed a working 'hydraulic' cylinder, not really stable enough for play but the rod does slide in and out of a friction pin to allow the arm to swing in or out.

3-stud-wide wheel treads were a great decision in my opinion.  I'm curious how it would look using 3 alternating 1-stud curved slopes to give even more variation in tread.  Since I am quite confident I deduced how you made the wheels, I might have to give this a try.
I also assumed correctly on the cylinder rod in that the bar slides in a pin, which is too stiff for a play function but allows for different positions for pictures.  Whenever possible, I like it when mechanical components allow for proper mechanical movement.  To make the connection loose enough for a play function may make it loose enough to let the drill slide down when unsupported, so it is probably best as you have it.

Cool, I lioke the wheels and the color scheme especially!

It looks nice, but I think with a lot of the classic Space sets, they very carefully made sure that the color schemes were consistent. I don't know...it feels like I'm seeing too much blue and white, maybe a little more black, and especially some more transparent orange, especially in the front. Maybe add some larger flood front lighting for night drilling? Otherwise I love the idea and execution.

Edited by Doddsino

Great build SK.  Wheels are solid and the cab is just perfect!

Bring back trans-neon orange Lego!!!!  :grin:

On 2/18/2024 at 10:07 PM, Doddsino said:

It looks nice, but I think with a lot of the classic Space sets, they very carefully made sure that the color schemes were consistent. I don't know...it feels like I'm seeing too much blue and white, maybe a little more black, and especially some more transparent orange, especially in the front. Maybe add some larger flood front lighting for night drilling? Otherwise I love the idea and execution.

To properly fit Ice planet I think it needs more blue (just those bar pieces need to be recolored) and a big o'l 4x4 radar TNO dish and one of those long TNO anttenas on top/behind the cabin repectively

Edited by Time77