Bob De Quatre

[Contest] Space Pirates - Back to the Carribean Galaxy!

16818240832_ac44b0d62f_o.png

Nine years... It's been nine years since we last visited the Carribean Galaxy...

The Caribbean galaxy is a nice place to live. Each planetary system is protected by battalions of the imperial armada under the command of the Governor. Well it would be a nice place to live, if it wasn't for the space pirates!

These lawless souls only hunger for riches, treasures and rum! The Governor do what he can to protect the civilians of the countless cities like Spaceport Royal to be ransacked by the pirates, while still looking for planets to conquer and the rumored treasures of the galaxy.

Once again, be a part of the never-ending battle between the Empire and the pirates in the Space Pirates Contest!

About the space pirates theme

Space pirates is about treasures, avoiding the Imperials and drinking in taverns... but in space! It's a fun theme that brings fun one-eyed-captains, grim soldiers and angry tiki warriors straight through the centuries to live more exciting adventures with robot parrots and laser saber (Any ressemblance to an existing franchise is purely coincidental).

Categories

A: Pirate Crew - Design and build a group of six (6) space pirate themed minifigs. Animals and imperial troops are welcome.

• First prize: 90€  to spend at the online Lego store

B: Sailing the river of time - Rebuild an official Lego pirate set in the Space Pirate theme.

• First Prize: 140€  to spend at the online Lego store
  • Second Prize: 100€  to spend at the online Lego store

C: Rum for everybody! - Open to any space pirate entries that don't fit in the other two categories.

• First Prize: 140€  to spend at the online Lego store
  • Second Prize: 100€  to spend at the online Lego store

Rules

• First rule: have fun!
  • For category A, brickbuilds robots or characters are allowed, just don't oversize them. Be sure to include a picture with all six of your crew.
  • For category B, you must rebuild one existing Lego pirate set, from any era including the latest produced last year, into a space pirate moc. The original set must be recognizable, with key features, shapes or functionnalities for example.
  • The contest will run from January 26th to March 10th, 2024. As long as it's still March 10th somewhere in the world, you can still enter.
  • Entries posted after the deadline will be disqualified.
  • This contest is open to all EB members, even if they joined EB after the contest has begun, with the exception of the Sci-Fi staff, who are not eligible to win prizes.
  • You can enter any of the categories with any numbers of entries, but you'll be eligible to receive only one prize.
  • All entries must be new creations, not posted anywhere else prior to being entered in the contest. You may be asked by a staff member to change your entry if it is too similar to an earlier creation.
  • All entries must be built from real LEGO. No clone brands, no third-party custom parts, no digital entries.
  • Custom sails and rigging are allowed.
  • Non-Lego light sources are allowed as long as you mention it in your entry description.
  • You can use official stickers or custom stickers.
  • All entries must be posted as a new topic in the Sci-Fi forum, the title prefixed by, "[SPC] Cat X - ". (For example, "[SPC] Cat C - The dark grey pearl".)
  • You may do a 'full-blown photo edit' with all the text, effects, background compositing, support erasing, and other effects on one picture. All your other pictures may have no editing other than color adjustment or background removal for a solid-color background. For obvious reasons, any photo editing that changes the shape, functionality, or color (not tint or adjustment, but actual color) of a LEGO piece is prohibited.
  • All entries are considered WIPs (Works In Progress) until the deadline passes. Until the deadline has passed, you are allowed to change and improve your MOC.
  • For each categories, EB staff will make a first selection, and then EB members will vote for their favorite entry among that selection.

3 hours ago, Bob De Quatre said:

The contest will run from Feb 26th to March 10th, 2024. As long as it's still March 10th somewhere in the world, you can still enter.

You mean January 26th, which is today, or are we not allowed to post until February?

Post pictures no larger than 800x640, but you may link to bigger pictures.

Too much copy paste? This was a standard 10 years ago ... I guess the images per guidelines are 1024 or even1280 by now?

Sailing the river of time - Rebuild a classic pirate set in the Space Pirate theme.

Again this unfortunate category around official lego sets?! Are there any restrictions regarding this being a plausible official set or is it meant to be a MOC where a Pirates set can be recognized in?

2 hours ago, Jody Meyer said:

You had me until it said no digital.😐

Sorry

6 minutes ago, MstrOfPppts said:

You mean January 26th, which is today, or are we not allowed to post until February?

I mean January obviously... That's what happens when you rush to publish the contest to gain a few more building days for the participants :pir-blush:

8 minutes ago, MstrOfPppts said:

Too much copy paste? This was a standard 10 years ago ... I guess the images per guidelines are 1024 or even1280 by now?

I hesitated to let this rule... it's now gone...

9 minutes ago, MstrOfPppts said:

Again this unfortunate category around official lego sets?! Are there any restrictions regarding this being a plausible official set or is it meant to be a MOC where a Pirates set can be recognized in?

"a MOC where a Pirates set can be recognized in" that's it. You choose an official Lego pirate set, and you redo it as a moc.

23 minutes ago, Bob De Quatre said:

"a MOC where a Pirates set can be recognized in" that's it. You choose an official Lego pirate set, and you redo it as a moc.

... in space. Got it! Thanks.

I liked the previous space pirates competition, hopefully I find time to submit some stuff for this one too!

Oh this contest is right up my alley :pir-triumph:.

What about 3rd party licenses? Imagine I would want to build a ship featured in a movie that fits the theme, would that be allowed?

9 minutes ago, Sebeus I said:

Oh this contest is right up my alley :pir-triumph:.

What about 3rd party licenses? Imagine I would want to build a ship featured in a movie that fits the theme, would that be allowed?

Yes, as long as you follow the rules (no third party bricks, etc...)

Hmm, might have to make some time for this, this does sound like a very fun contest.

For the crew, 6 is the maximum? Does a monkey count as one of them, what about a parrot or a robot?

Oh dear, this is definitely tempting!  Gonna have to make more time for building here! :pir-grin: :pir-huzzah2:

Awesome! I'll have to scramble on this one.

@Bob De Quatre, I shared this in the pirate thread. Hope that's okay. If so, maybe see if you can pin a link there too?

Edited by Jeff of Clubs

Pirates board the ship, err, spaceship :pir-triumph:

It will be super interesting to see with what people come up with!

1 hour ago, the Inventor said:

For the crew, 6 is the maximum? Does a monkey count as one of them, what about a parrot or a robot?

Then shalt thou count to six, no more, no less. Six shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be six. Seven shalt thou not count, neither count thou five, excepting that thou then proceed to six. Eight is right out.

And yes, animals and robots count, as long as the are minifig sized

Ignore- made a mistake- MODS please delete.

Edited by Horation
Nevermind-figured it out

14 hours ago, Bob De Quatre said:

A: Pirate Crew - Design and build a group of six (6) space pirate themed minifigs. Animals and imperial troops are welcome.

Plain background? Or do we jazz up the scene with a baseplate? Crew weapons (space-16 pounder,etc)?, hunk of space terrain?

Huzzah! A classic EB contest returns! :pir-sweet: 

If we include minifigs in categories B or C, can we also submit them for category A?

On 1/26/2024 at 4:06 PM, Garmadon said:

Oh dear, this is definitely tempting!  Gonna have to make more time for building here! :pir-grin: :pir-huzzah2:

Yep ! /cheers !

On 1/27/2024 at 12:54 AM, Jeff of Clubs said:

Plain background? Or do we jazz up the scene with a baseplate? Crew weapons (space-16 pounder,etc)?, hunk of space terrain?

Plain background. Yes you can include weapons and other accessories.

On 1/27/2024 at 6:34 PM, Oky said:

Huzzah! A classic EB contest returns! :pir-sweet: 

If we include minifigs in categories B or C, can we also submit them for category A?

Yes you can use your cat A crew in your cat B or C builds.

On 1/26/2024 at 9:46 AM, Bob De Quatre said:

no digital entries

that's a bummer :(

Custom sails and rigging are allowed.

Are homemade fabric cape or flag are authorized too in Cat. A or is it strict for rigging and sail of ship/scenery ?

Maybe my question was obvious, but before posting my creation i prefer ask to be sure, and correct if necessary.

Thanks!