howitzer

Did you build B-models when sets had those?

Did you build B-models when sets had those?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. There has been a lot of grief over the discontinuation of B-models. Did you like and build them or did you ignore them? This concerns only official B-models (those for which TLG has provided instructions) and not fan-made alternatives.

• I have built every possible B-model of the sets I have.
    • I have built most but not all B-models of the sets I have.
    • I have built some B-models of the sets I have but most of the time not.
    • I have never built B-models of the sets I have.
    • I don't buy/have sets with B-models.

With the recent discontinuation of official B-models there has been a lot of complaints and some people seem to be even considering stopping buying Technic, but personally I don't really know how to feel about the issue. While I appreciate the B-models as a concept, most of the time I have found myself not building them and when I did, the results usually weren't particularly interesting. Some people obviously find the B-models very worthwhile, but I wonder if it's just a loud minority, or is it a sentiment shared by many people here.

Not very recent set this but I have very fond childhood memories of the 8862 B-model. I've built that Harvester many more times than I've built the Backhoe A-model.

It played very well together with my modded 8849 Tractor. :)

33 minutes ago, zoo said:

Not very recent set this but I have very fond childhood memories of the 8862 B-model. I've built that Harvester many more times than I've built the Backhoe A-model.

That B model was epic. I did not own the set, but attempted to build that B model several times. Same with 8868 B model. Back then they made a lot of sense. But the last B model I built was that of 42070, which was pretty lame. Having that said, I am not sure I miss B models that much today. I build C models anyway :)

I mainly just built the B-models for my bigger sets, like the Arocs, Extreme Adventure, and 8070 Supercar, though occasionally I'd do it for a smaller set too. In my opinion, the ones on small sets aren't able to differentiate themselves sufficiently from the main model to be interesting to build, while larger sets can have much more worthwhile B-models. Ironically, this is the opposite of the route Lego has taken recently!

I used to build them, back in the 90s. I have fond memories of the B-models of 8868 (pneumatic sequencer!) and 8485 (T-Rex!). On the other hand, those for 8480 and 8880 were a bit underwhelming, but still enjoyed building them. I learned a lot from those builds as they were very creative with parts,

Nowadays, I buy with a different purpose: I only build the main models and then part the set out for my own MOCs. 

I buy too many sets now to build every official alternative model, but in recent years I have bought a second copy of a Technic set just to build both the A and B-models. For the older sets I have built alternative models in my childhood, especially from the universal sets that had 5 or 6 alternatives.

As an adult, I have not chosen a set because it did or did not have a B-model. I chose it because I liked the main model or was a good parts pack.

All this sky is falling nonsense about the lack of B-models on every 2024 topic is getting old. If if made financial sense to do B-models, TLG would be doing them. But nothing they release can compare with what the mocers can create as C-Models. I would prefer the resources into designing a set go into releasing more sets. Especially sets that fill out the piece palette for some of these colors (more Purple please).

As a young builder over 39 years ago, I built the B model 8859 was built a few times. It was the only idea source that we had. The 8859 tractor had a few options of implements, which were all tried out and really broadened the versatility of the main model.  In those days there was no internet, we had limited parts, and for Lego to present the other building options expanded our horizons.  We have more options to alternative models now, and generally I build the main model only, afterwhich I dismantle for parts and start my own creations.

I don't look for B models when buying very often, but I've definitely built them. There's been a couple of sets where I preferred the B model.

But also, I am not a model collector, they're more like parts packs with ideas. In that sense more ideas = more better so I do prefer to have the B

I bought 42041 just for B model. I never built it's main. And not for just B model only, but I bought 42000 for B model too.

I really liked the B-models for their often very creative and unusual mechanisms or part usage. I found them very inspiring sometimes, especially on small to medium sets. Some B-models were even more interesting to me than their A-model (looking at you 8464)

I have to say though that recently the B-models were less interesting (except for something like 42121) so I did not bouild them as often as before. It feels like them beeing gone now is just the endpoint of the lost interest in them.

Yes, and that is the thing, I think, how I got to creating MOCs.

First technic set I bought was 42000. And I built main set. After some time I realised that there is that B model. I built it. Soon after that I started to think, that I can build something more from it. I think, I made some 3 to 4 C-models out of it. During that process I discovered eurobricks. And after that everything went on.

I must admit that I had built much more B-models in my childhood than recently. After my dark age, I am more focused on building main models and alternates from the community, because they are often better and because I can choose whichever one I prefer.

That being said, I still find it very sad that Lego will not create B-models anymore, because this was one of the last remnants of the Lego 'spirit' which tells everybody: "our models are to help you familiarize with this set, then you should build something on your own". Lego is merely an affair of consumerism now (buy a set, build it, expose it, forget it, replace it, then buy another set...), and we are pretty fortunate that this community still exists to keep this spirit alive.

Back in the days I have built nearly all B-models from my studded era collection, and already did my own MOCs back then too.

When Lego moved to studless I was full focus on MOCcing, so sets became more and more a parts pack for me. I've hardly built any B's from big studless models, mainly to save myself the pain from disassembling the set 2 times... With this forum and rebrickable etc. there are enough ideas to still spark creativity, so I personally do not miss B-models as part of a factory set that much.

"Did you build B-models when sets had those?"

As a kid yes, as an adult no.

Nowadays, with Technic, I don't even build A-models anymore. Just MOCing.

Only with the occasional System set I build the A-model (I'll admit that TLG's play on nostalgia with sets like 1989 Batmobile and BTTF DeLorean does work on me...) :innocent2:

Yes, always. I find most of the fun in the build, so what is better than rebuilding the same set over two varaints? Especially as a kid I must have rebuilt all my sets in the tens of times. Ah the joys of childhood, never getting bored.

BTW, it is my impression most people here might complain mildly on forums etc, but eventually will buy the new sets anyway, and this is what matters to TLG, and they will sell the same amount of sets while offering less. If consumers don't vote with their wallets and stop buying I have a feeling this will be forgotten quickly. Personally, I am going to stick to my word and not buy any new sets.

Edited by johnnytifosi

7 hours ago, deehtha said:

As an adult, I have not chosen a set because it did or did not have a B-model. I chose it because I liked the main model or was a good parts pack.

All this sky is falling nonsense about the lack of B-models on every 2024 topic is getting old.

Just because you don't feel a certain way does not mean you should insult others who do feel that way.

When I was child I built every B-model of all Technic sets I owned many time. Since I was not able to build anything without building instructions in my childhood, my playing with LEGO looked like this: I built A-model, then I took it apart and built B-model, then I took it apart and built A-model again and so on. Now when I can build my own C-models I don't have time for building official B-models. Anyway I appreciated them at least like good inspiration.

I think I have only skipped a couple of B models, Quad bike 9392 and Arocs. They're usually good fun, and the Mack garbage truck was the tipping point of me buying the set.

3 hours ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

Just because you don't feel a certain way does not mean you should insult others who do feel that way.

Well, let me point out that being insulted is your feeling, it's not him doing it onto you; you interpreted it that way, every person reacts differently, and in my view grown-up people don't get insulted by such general statements. And just because you feel insulted does not mean that we don't not have the right to express our view. It's not other people's responsibility to keep you from being offended, it's your responsibility to handle disagreeing opinions around you. So please don't flip it back on other people (as I have observed that you have done this on several occasions), that's a very sneaky behavior. Thanks!

1 hour ago, gyenesvi said:

Well, let me point out that being insulted is your feeling, it's not him doing it onto you; you interpreted it that way, every person reacts differently, and in my view grown-up people don't get insulted by such general statements. And just because you feel insulted does not mean that we don't not have the right to express our view. It's not other people's responsibility to keep you from being offended, it's your responsibility to handle disagreeing opinions around you. So please don't flip it back on other people (as I have observed that you have done this on several occasions), that's a very sneaky behavior. Thanks!

You've just dumped on your own point by calling me immature and sneaky, which I also find highly insulting.

Furthermore, I am always totally up-front in my interactions - I never try to manipulate or trick anyone, and I pride myself on speaking honestly.

Edited by Maaboo the Witch

1 hour ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

You've just dumped on your own point by calling me immature and sneaky, which I also find highly insulting.

Of course I predicted based on the previous occurrences that you would probably find it so, but as I wrote, that is your interpretation, not my intention, and I let that be your problem.

Furthermore, I don't see how I would have dumped on my own point. You can have your own opinions as anyone else, I accept that. What you should not do is blaming other people for discomforting you with their opinions, as I do believe that is emotional manipulation (maybe sneaky is not the best word for that, I'm not a native speaker). And I haven't blamed you of insulting me. If anyone is dumping on their own point that's you; you advocate honesty and free opinions (just read that in another thread), but you in some cases take them as insult when they disagree with you.

Edited by gyenesvi

Just now, gyenesvi said:

Of course I predicted based on the previous occurrences that you would probably find it so, but as I wrote, that is your interpretation, and I let that be your problem.

Furthermore, I don't see how I would have dumped on my own point. You can have your own opinions as anyone else, I accept that. What you should not do is blaming other people for discomforting you with their opinions, as I do believe that is emotional manipulation (maybe sneaky is not the best word for that, I'm not a native speaker). And I haven't blamed you of insulting me. If anyone is dumping on their own point that's you; you advocate honesty and free opinions (just read that in another thread), but you in some cases take them as insult when they disagree with you.

It's not that I don't want people expressing their opinions; that's fine. I support that. We wouldn't have much of a forum if there weren't differing opinions. If others think B-models aren't important, great. If someone disagrees with me, then that's also fine.

It's just that I believe there's a right way to do it; using words like "nonsense" to effectively write off other's views and calling other comments "disgusting" is a bit strong from my perspective. Not everyone has English as a first language; also a consideration, as your post illustrates. But I think the language used here needs to be moderated better.