MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2024 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

2 minutes ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

I was really hoping for a minifig heavy MBS-style set

Same- at the bare minimum I wanted a proper RotJ Boba and a couple of new guard characters but sounds like we might not even get that. 

44 minutes ago, FoggyFate said:

I wouldn’t get too excited about what figs come with the barge.

Can we expect Leia by any chance?

The Sailbarge, while having MBS potential, is still a UCS model at the end of the day. I’m expecting a similar selection as the Razor Crest had :classic:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

15 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The Sailbarge, while having MBS potential, is still a UCS model at the end of the day. I’m expecting a similar selection as the Razor Crest had :classic:

Was the sailbarge now also confirmed?

Now that the initial shock has worn off somewhat, I'm really looking forward to seeing how these sets turn out.

Also, do we think Captain Enoch is going to have a nose or will he have a minifig-ified face fused into the helmet? My assumption is the latter because giving him a nose and making it too accurate to the show would be jarring. Either way, I expect it to be a cursed minifig and I will love it.

Also, I wonder if Dark Rey's lightsaber will be able to fold in half or are they going to just give us the standard double-bladed lightsaber and maybe include a binoculars piece to put the blades in to make it look like it's folded up?

Is white Darth Vader going to have a red or blue lightsaber?

What color will Jedi Bob's Starfighter be? I hope it's teal since LEGO has been obsessed with the color since it's return, plus think how amazing it would look! Coral would also be hilarious but way more of an eyesore. The new reddish orange would maybe look good too and then maybe they could slap the silver space branding on the corner of the box(I'm only half kidding). Oh, imagine if it's made in the vibrant highlighter yellow coIor, that would be funny but even more of an eyesore than coral. Regardless, I'll definitely be disappointed if it's just a generic dark red Jedi Starfighter. 

So many questions, so little answes but my mind is certainly racing with possibilities. It's so great to feel excited and surprised by LEGO Star Wars like this. It just feels refreshing and delightfully LEGO.

6 hours ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

Which would only be 1 new mould and 9 returning moulds from 2013 (Leia’s hair, Gran Head, Ortolan Head, Fortuna’s headtails, Salacious, and 4 for Jabba + a new Yarkora head mould

I touched on this recently, but it seems returning a mold from 2013, if it hasn't been used since, is the same cost as a new mold. Making the CAD file isn't the costly part, it's making the physical multi hundred-thousand dollar mold itself, and lego destroys them after an unknown (but seemingly significantly less than 11) number of years.

2 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Maybe. I just hope that the X-wing has gear/lever-operated wings; I am not sure that can be done while keeping them modular. 🫤

To fit all 4 wings on the tie, each set of two wings (left and right) is gonna have to have some sort of connection frame between them. The cams/whatever they use for separation are usually placed further enough into the wings that they'll stay with the ship, so the only thing it really needs is clearance for an axle hole- I wouldn't be surprised if the TIE had a gear on the back to allow for it to also lock s-foils in attack position.

Just now, TheScaryDoor said:

Was the sailbarge now also confirmed?

Looks like Foggy's confirmed it for being the 2024 2HY set, yeah.

3 hours ago, wesker said:

The Brick Reporter on Instagram is claiming the two final Skiff figures are Luke and a Weequay.

This was (I believe first) rumored by TandN on his story, so does sound like it's true. 

Edited by NoOneOfImportance

4 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

What color will Jedi Bob's Starfighter be? I hope it's teal since LEGO has been obsessed with the color since it's return, plus think how amazing it would look! Coral would also be hilarious but way more of an eyesore. The new reddish orange would maybe look good too and then maybe they could slap the silver space branding on the corner of the box(I'm only half kidding). Oh, imagine if it's made in the vibrant highlighter yellow coIor, that would be funny but even more of an eyesore than coral. Regardless, I'll definitely be disappointed if it's just a generic dark red Jedi Starfighter. 

I'm kind of liking the idea of it being Dark Tan or Beige- just a totally normal, "boring" color

Pity, I was also hoping for a mixture of UCS / MBS Set when it comes to the Khetanna. Main Build a ship, maybe a skiff and the Sarlacc and with all the Criminals and Heroes. Guess I will lower my expectations in the figure department. 

Agree about the figs. That's disappointing. It's not quite the Cantina since most of the action happens outside/on top of the Barge but, while inside, it's all the aliens that give it life. It'd be strange for them to furnish the interior but not populate it.

imo the minimum "Razor Crest-sized lineup" is Jabba, Crumb, Leia, server R2, and at least 3 aliens (since there are at least that many atop the Barge in basically all scenes). Those at least allow you to display the scenes from a spectator's view. 3PO is integral to the scenes, too, but he mostly stays inside & I doubt many of us would be complaining since we likely wouldn't be getting the dual molded version anyways.

Speculating here: perhaps they're intentionally avoiding populating the inside so they can omit Leia?

That in mind, I could see as little as a 2-fig plaque including just Jabba & server R2...

2 hours ago, TheScaryDoor said:

I think Lego is taking the swap of wings into account because of the uglies. Ships that are build from different parts like X-Wing with wings from a Tie-Fighter. Those ships were used for instance by pirates and are part of Star Wars. Also fits very well the Lego topic as you create something new from different parts.

"Cursed" Star Wars ships/walkers is practically a subtheme over on the SW Reddit. I'm sure the designers took some inspiration from that, just like they did after the whole tensegrity fad.

Edited by Pedilego

10 minutes ago, Pedilego said:

Agree about the figs. That's disappointing. It's not quite the Cantina since most of the action happens outside/on top of the Barge but, while inside, it's all the aliens that give it life. It'd be strange for them to furnish the interior but not populate it.

imo the minimum "Razor Crest-sized lineup" is Jabba, Crumb, Leia, server R2, and at least 3 aliens (since there are at least that many atop the Barge in basically all scenes). Those at least allow you to display the scenes from a spectator's view. 3PO is integral to the scenes, too, but he mostly stays inside & I doubt many of us would be complaining since we likely wouldn't be getting the dual molded version anyways.

Speculating here: perhaps they're intentionally avoiding populating the inside so they can omit Leia?

That in mind, I could see as little as a 2-fig plaque including just Jabba & server R2...

"Cursed" Star Wars ships/walkers is practically a subtheme over on the SW Reddit. I'm sure the designers took some inspiration from that, just like they did after the whole tensegrity fad.

I think the UCS AT-AT could also be a comparison.  Both ground vehicles vs. space, more characters involved in the scene and a potential interior to fill/work with.

26 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I touched on this recently, but it seems returning a mold from 2013, if it hasn't been used since, is the same cost as a new mold. Making the CAD file isn't the costly part, it's making the physical multi hundred-thousand dollar mold itself, and lego destroys them after an unknown (but seemingly significantly less than 11) number of years.

As a professional design engineer myself, I can assure you that the cost of employing designers and developing molds is certainly not a non-negligible cost :wink: nevertheless, while it's cheaper than starting the whole process again, it's still pretty expensive to get new molds made. That's assuming the surrounding tooling, materials and machines are exactly the same as they were 10 years ago, which to be fair I imagine they would be. Man, what I would give to learn more about the engineering at TLG...

Speaking of engineering - you raise a good point about the 'Uglies' set. If both the TIE and X-wing get the capability to open and close the s-foils, that could make for quite an interesting mechanism combination.

Wait what? The sail barge isn't gonna have like 20 figs?? Is this guy a few pages back that's saying it reliable with this kind of stuff? Like man this seems like something that's a given, if you're a Lego designer and you're choosing to make a UCS/MBS jabba's sail barge, 15+ figs are a given imo, you don't even question that. I don't want to believe they only have 2 or 3 figs on the plaque, no way

The minifig numbers are awesome this year.

excluding battle packs and microfighters.

tantive - $55 - 7 minifigs  $7.85 each

mando bunker - $40 - 4 minifigs  $10 each

Peridia - $50 - 5 minifigs  $10 each

Death Star - $80 - 7-8 minifigs  $10 to $11 each

Plus a lot of good characters.  Very exciting to see some sets where you get more minifigures for the money vs the previous few years where a lot of complaints have been the lack of minifigures for the price (especially compared to other themes).

1 hour ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

As a professional design engineer myself, I can assure you that the cost of employing designers and developing molds is certainly not a non-negligible cost :wink: nevertheless, while it's cheaper than starting the whole process again, it's still pretty expensive to get new molds made. That's assuming the surrounding tooling, materials and machines are exactly the same as they were 10 years ago, which to be fair I imagine they would be. Man, what I would give to learn more about the engineering at TLG...

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Of course there's a cost to the CAD development of a part, my point was more so that the physical molds are comparatively significantly more expensive. (Based on the little publicly availible salary info we do have, the designers aren't making multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, and I seriously hope that the part designers are producing more than one part every year. While CAD software is expensive, again, cost per individual part shouldn't be too bad. Contrast that to the physical molds-I mean the mold as in the metal part the lego element is cast into-, which were said around a decade or so ago to be hundreds of thousands of dollars each to physically create.)

What I was trying to get at was that reviving destroyed molds, even if they still have the CAD files, isn't likely to be much cheaper than creating entirely new ones.

24 minutes ago, Lordhelmet said:

The minifig numbers are awesome this year.

excluding battle packs and microfighters.

tantive - $55 - 7 minifigs  $7.85 each

mando bunker - $40 - 4 minifigs  $10 each

Peridia - $50 - 5 minifigs  $10 each

Death Star - $80 - 7-8 minifigs  $10 to $11 each

Plus a lot of good characters.  Very exciting to see some sets where you get more minifigures for the money vs the previous few years where a lot of complaints have been the lack of minifigures for the price (especially compared to other themes).

I have no data to back this up, but when I was a kid it felt like $10 per fig was more or less the standard for sub-$100 sets. That said, there's been plenty of inflation across just the 2020s alone, so roughly similar $ per fig is actually a solid improvement, especially when previous recent years have had some pretty low fig counts in a number of sets. Not to mention the Tantive, which still shocks me in terms of figures/cost, especially with one of them being Fives, who should have a new mold and at least one cloth element, even if he'll likely suffer from a printed-on Kama.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

55 minutes ago, Minishark2000 said:

Wait what? The sail barge isn't gonna have like 20 figs?? Is this guy a few pages back that's saying it reliable with this kind of stuff? Like man this seems like something that's a given, if you're a Lego designer and you're choosing to make a UCS/MBS jabba's sail barge, 15+ figs are a given imo, you don't even question that. I don't want to believe they only have 2 or 3 figs on the plaque, no way

This. Don’t even bother to make a Sail Barge if you won’t include the cast that makes the Sail Barge so appealing. The ship on its own is boring. I imagine it’ll AT LEAST have Jabba, Rebo, Krum, Bib, Leia, C-3PO and R2. Anything less would be a colossal disappointment. Considering the Skiff has six figures it seems like Lego may have purposefully cut them out of the UCS set to sell as a standalone add-on, which may explain why the Barge is not as figure heavy on its own. 

Edited by Flawless Cowboy

Wow...WOW! If these rumors turn out to be true...then this will be the most memorable, and whacky wave Lego SW EVER attempted! My mind's still reeling from the sheer (but welcome) randomness of it all! Jedi Bob?! My childhood dream of owning that character could very well be true! And I absolutely can't WAIT for that Peridea set! So many random sets that no one could have possibly anticipated. Bravo Lego, you've outdone yourself this time. What a redonculous wave indeed.

Just saw the latest video from maxbaut and he raised an interesting topic. What if Thrawn's uniform will show some weathering like in the Ahsoka show? Would the torso be universally useable then? Would collectors be happy about this?

4 hours ago, FoggyFate said:

I wouldn’t get too excited about what figs come with the barge.

That’s really disappointing. I thought we’d get 4-5 new alien characters. 

I hope the Weequay is new for the Sarlac set. 

Do you know if the Sarlacc Pit will connect with the UCS set? 

44 minutes ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

Considering the Skiff has six figures it seems like Lego may have purposefully cut them out of the UCS set to sell as a standalone add-on, which may explain why the Barge is not as figure heavy on its own. 

Yes, I was thinking something similar. But, it’s a strange move to not have Boba, Luke etc in a UCS Sail Barge. 

Hmm ... Comparing the 2024 X-wing/TIE Fighter two-pack to prior releases of X-wings and TIE Fighters, this is how it stacks up in relative price and part count, etc. All prices are adjusted using the US CPI inflation calculator. I'm excluding the 2019 combo of two 4+ sets, but I'm including combos of sequel ships and combos in close but not identical years, as necessary.

2024: set 75393, $110 ($110), 1058p, 5 figs, $0.104/p

2021: sets 75301 and 75300, $50 + $40 = $90 ($106), 474 + 432 = 906p, 4 + 3 = 7 figs , $0.099/p ($0.117/p), (710 - 130 - 150 = 430g) + (590 - 105 - 125 = 360g) = 790g,  $0.114/g ($0.134/g)

2020: sets 75273 and 75272, $90 + $80 = $170 ($202), 761 + 470 = 1231p, 4 + 3 = 7 figs, $0.138/p ($0.164/p), (997 - 224 - 216 = 557g) + (1020 - 185 - 210 = 625g) = 1182g, $0.144/g ($0.171/g)

2018: sets 75218 and 75211, $80 + $70 = $150 ($183), 731 + 519 = 1250p, 4 + 4 = 8 figs, $0.120/p ($0.146/p), (998 - 224 - 169 = 605g) + (841 - 103 - ~245 = 493g) = 1098g, $0.137/g ($0.167/g)

2015: sets 75102 and 75101, $80 + $70 = $150 ($194), 717 + 517 = 1234p, 4 + 4 = 8 figs, $0.122/p ($0.157/p), (1065 - 258 - 226 = 581g) + (903 - 101 - 245 = 557g) = 1138g, $0.132/g ($0.170/g)

2012: sets 9493 and 9492, $60 + $55 = $115 ($156), 560 + 413 = 973p, 4 + 4 = 8 figs, $0.118/p ($0.160/p), (842 - 130 - 238 = 474g) + (771 - 90 - 243 =  438g) = 912g, $0.126/g ($0.171/g)

2006: sets 6212 (2006 release) and 7263 (2005 release), $50 + $20 = $70 ($106), 437 + 159 = 596p, 6 + 2 = 8 figs, $0.117/p ($0.178/p), (767 - 120 - 200 = 447g) + (455 - 22 - 224 = 209g) = 656g, $0.107/g ($0.162/g)

2001: sets 7140 (1999 release) and 7146 (2001 release), $30 + $20 = $50 ($88), 266 + 171 = 437p, 4 + 2 = 6 figs, $0.114/p ($0.201/p), (557 - 71 - 144 = 342g) + (397 - 37 - 107 = 253g) = 595g, $0.084/g ($0.148/g)

The combined figure count of the 2024 versions is less than any previous combined figure count.

The adjusted price of the 2024 versions is about the same as the combined adjusted price in 2021, 2006, and 2001.

The combined parts count is about the same as in 2012, but the builds will most likely be quite a bit smaller. These will most likely be "small" ships like in 2001 and 2021, not "large" ships as in 2012, 2015, 2018, and 2020.

The adjusted ppp is the lowest it's ever been, and the raw ppp is also nearly the lowest it's ever been. However, as we all know, ppp isn't everything. The average part size is much smaller in the 2020s than in the 2000s.

The adjusted ppg has stayed in a pretty narrow range the whole time. That lends support to my assumption that these will be smaller models, not larger models, within the range of acceptable minifig scales.

I'm intrigued. This will probably be the one set I buy from the summer wave. Probably half price without figs though.

Edited by icm

Any thoughts on what the Death Star player is?  Based on price and minifig count I am wondering/hoping it is a counter player to Yavin.  So ideally we will get a vaders tie (small scale) and maybe some scenes like the briefing room and the gunner area.

15 minutes ago, Lordhelmet said:

Any thoughts on what the Death Star player is?  Based on price and minifig count I am wondering/hoping it is a counter player to Yavin.  So ideally we will get a vaders tie (small scale) and maybe some scenes like the briefing room and the gunner area.

It won’t be. It’s only $80

Edited by Flawless Cowboy

1 hour ago, ArrowBricks said:

I hope the Weequay is new for the Sarlac set. 

We have already gotten both Weequays that were on the skiffs in Pagetti Rook (from the 2013 Barge) and Rintel Aren (from the last Skiff set). So it’ll probably have new prints, but not be a new character. 

Edited by QuiggoldsPegLeg

On the plus with the skiffs being in a separate set, and it having few figures then for the price the barge should hopefully be incredibly detailed. 

Absolutely nothing to base it on but it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re holding some of the figures back for a different set in the future, another Jabba’s palace or something. Why sell one set with everything in, when you can sell three!

10 minutes ago, HothFan1987 said:

On the plus with the skiffs being in a separate set, and it having few figures then for the price the barge should hopefully be incredibly detailed. 

Absolutely nothing to base it on but it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re holding some of the figures back for a different set in the future, another Jabba’s palace or something. Why sell one set with everything in, when you can sell three!

Incredibly detailed on the outside yes, the inside might be a different story.