Good grief, this is really impressive!

Theme (story)

This is one part where the original was lacking, as it had few action features.

-I would definitely add a hidden treasure-maybe an opportunity for some brick-built golden statues?

-Try to make parts of the set collapse-able, or even better, have a trap, with a falling boulder or hidden pikes?

-The interior of the rocks is mostly unused, which is a shame, maybe a chance for extra space?

There is an obvious conflict, a nice amount of animals, food, variety of locations, just do consider some of these as nice extras.

Build

This is it- a vintage set with some fine, fine details. There's a lot of green, some good use of red, with modern grey parts used well. Now some quick improvements, which are of course up to you :

-The towers, while nice, are a little too close to the original, I'd have them a little more rounded (with, perhaps, an ewok-village inspired tree style), more detailed (they look very plain as they stand), type of look?

-There's something weird about an islander village having black wood everywhere, I'd have much rather you use brown, also there is that one large tower with the grey battlement at the top, this is plain old weird, how did they get rocks on top of trees? 

-Finally, the rockwork is excellent, and there are ladders (too many in fact, but you already know this from other comments), I'd just try to make those floating rocks under the main rocky outcrop disappear, since they look a little... weird, maybe use grey tiles if they can fit under those gaps?

Overall, the colours are good, it's very faithful (maybe a little too much), but I am genuinely nitpicky with the above comments, you've clearly spent a lot of time on this (wish I could say the same about others), and you've chosen to focus on displayability a lot, I think a few key improvements to the play aspect will make this set pop even more compared to the other competitors

Edited by Horation

Oh wow!

This is an entry!

I never had this set as a kid and used to pine over catalogs wishing for it, even though that day never came.

Very very impressed with this entry and love everything you’ve done. 

pros:

the remake of the base and the waterfall etc are incredible

added play features that never existed

use of right current era palms, this is one of my biggest complaints about a lot of entries in this; and you’ve used the right style.

just stunningly done

cons: 

I hate doing this for entries I like, but some of it is a tiny bit too similar to original 

a lot of the “remake” style sets show that time has moved forward, hence red beard being grey; etc, I’d love to have seen this maybe as a bit of ruin now? With pirates living in the ruins and the islanders being the “raiders” now?

But that’s just nonsense complaints, this is my favourite entry so far!

10 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

What a fine set you made @Danny_Boy4  it's excellent! :pir-thumb:

Thanks.

10 hours ago, Horation said:

Good grief, this is really impressive!

Theme (story)

This is one part where the original was lacking, as it had few action features.

-I would definitely add a hidden treasure-maybe an opportunity for some brick-built golden statues?

-Try to make parts of the set collapse-able, or even better, have a trap, with a falling boulder or hidden pikes?

-The interior of the rocks is mostly unused, which is a shame, maybe a chance for extra space?

There is an obvious conflict, a nice amount of animals, food, variety of locations, just do consider some of these as nice extras.

Build

This is it- a vintage set with some fine, fine details. There's a lot of green, some good use of red, with modern grey parts used well. Now some quick improvements, which are of course up to you :

-The towers, while nice, are a little too close to the original, I'd have them a little more rounded (with, perhaps, an ewok-village inspired tree style), more detailed (they look very plain as they stand), type of look?

-There's something weird about an islander village having black wood everywhere, I'd have much rather you use brown, also there is that one large tower with the grey battlement at the top, this is plain old weird, how did they get rocks on top of trees? 

-Finally, the rockwork is excellent, and there are ladders (too many in fact, but you already know this from other comments), I'd just try to make those floating rocks under the main rocky outcrop disappear, since they look a little... weird, maybe use grey tiles if they can fit under those gaps?

Overall, the colours are good, it's very faithful (maybe a little too much), but I am genuinely nitpicky with the above comments, you've clearly spent a lot of time on this (wish I could say the same about others), and you've chosen to focus on displayability a lot, I think a few key improvements to the play aspect will make this set pop even more compared to the other competitors

I might try to add some treasure  in the small cave. I did play a bit with a collapsing bridge, but couldn't make it look good. with the trees I tried to match it with the forest hideout remake and i didn't like how brown looked like next to red and gray. I will try to do something to hide the gaps, but tiles dont fit under all of them.

5 hours ago, thewatchman said:

Oh wow!

This is an entry!

I never had this set as a kid and used to pine over catalogs wishing for it, even though that day never came.

Very very impressed with this entry and love everything you’ve done. 

pros:

the remake of the base and the waterfall etc are incredible

added play features that never existed

use of right current era palms, this is one of my biggest complaints about a lot of entries in this; and you’ve used the right style.

just stunningly done

cons: 

I hate doing this for entries I like, but some of it is a tiny bit too similar to original 

a lot of the “remake” style sets show that time has moved forward, hence red beard being grey; etc, I’d love to have seen this maybe as a bit of ruin now? With pirates living in the ruins and the islanders being the “raiders” now?

But that’s just nonsense complaints, this is my favourite entry so far!

Thanks, I used the palms that match the new eldorado fortress. I don't also don't get why most entries use the barracuda bay style. I feel that having the set as ruins whold make it a totally different set and not a remake.

Edited by Danny_Boy4

11 minutes ago, Danny_Boy4 said:

Thanks.

I might try to add some treasure  in the small cave. I did play a bit with a collapsing bridge, but couldn't make it look good. with the trees I tried to match it with the forest hideout remake and i diddent like how brown looked like next to red and gray. I will try to do something to hide the gaps, but tiles dont fit under all of them.

Thanks, I used the palms that match the new eldorado fortress. I don't also don't get why most entries use the barracuda bay style. I feel that having the set as ruins whold make it a totally different set and not a remake.

100% it’s why it’s not so much a criticism!

This is why it’s a top tier entry!

2 hours ago, thewatchman said:

100% it’s why it’s not so much a criticism!

This is why it’s a top tier entry!

Hear hear! Almost all of my criticism can be explained by a willful choice to make it closer to the original.

2 hours ago, Danny_Boy4 said:

I will try to do something to hide the gaps, but tiles dont fit under all of them.

Might I suggest using a brick-based approximation of the current part? You might expect it to be less nice but I think it'd look better, so it's worth a shot.

Edited by Horation

What an epic entry and such a great choice of a set to remake! I liked both versions - the connected and separated islands. Can't make up my mind which one looks better.

Though I do agree that a lot of black should be switched to brown. I imagine most of these would be brown back in the days if LEGO did all the pieces in that color already. Like the Barracuda Bay is mostly brown and something LEGO really screwed up with the Eldorado remake. I too prefer the newer style palm leaves and agree they would look good for roofs too. I'd also go with the older palm stern pieces, these new ones look too plain and smooth.

Too add some new ideas, I really miss the feeling that this is a section of a much bigger island, for the old baseplate was green on all sides and the water looked more like a river to me - where crocs live. Though I have no idea how to achieve that with this style of shore - maybe skip the water and shore from the back and sides of the island? And I must say that I really miss the mouth on the statue, was such an iconic part of the old design.

But all I can finish with is congratulations for such a great remake!

This is awesome! Definitely winner potential!

One of my complaints about the original set I only discovered after owning it. From the pictures of the original the set appeared very full but part of that was because the catamaran's sail was covering the bare back right corner behind the stone statue. In your remake you have added two palm trees that are a bit too evenly spaced out which help fill the space but there is still some space for some texture or a small rock or plant to fill that awkward empty space that the original had. If you could make that area a stronger part, you would be undoing one of the shortcomings of the original set.

I've corrected the brightnesss of the photos because they are way too dark, and my eyes hurt trying to focus on them. Enjoy:

Spoiler

DezYzqo.jpg

jNYJdrn.jpg

LOyWYkB.jpg

Y87UzFb.jpg

GMifc7U.jpg

0KYpEcm.jpg

k4VAxst.jpg

GepTZeB.jpg

Ii4GKsQ.jpg

emz5kUT.jpg

ZfNequi.jpg

aUOvQuv.jpg

cDQ9zyO.jpg

Edited by zinnn

I've removed the off-topic chatter - please keep it civil! Super nice of @zinnn to create brighter versions of the images, but I believe reviewers will vote using the original images of the build as submitted by the creator.

Lovely one @Danny_Boy4! I love the mix of pirates and islanders as well as the separate base sections

UPDATE 2

I chaged the rock colors to LBG ad top and DBG at bottom, Swaped black to dark brown, added somee flower and small trees, removed top ladder, changed entrance to cave and added tresure in it and chaged the roofs to use the newer palm leaves. (added images in the entry)

Edited by Danny_Boy4

Pretty solid update, Danny_Boy4. Feels like you striked the right balance between foliage and open space now.
I'm most fond of the statue and the left island. Especially the statue, with the many different ways you stacked the layers on top of each other.
If I would go for details, I'd recommend adding a couple dark nougat coconuts to the two palm trees, and perhaps change some of the green plates on the right island and make it feel more trodden, like a tan-colored path or clearance around the statue and drum there.

That is incredible! Not just the build itself (which is gorgeous) but the custom minifigure prints (I need those face-painted islander heads!) and the sheer effort you've put into presenting the entry.

On 7/13/2023 at 4:13 AM, Danny_Boy4 said:

I chaged the rock colors to LBG ad top and DBG at bottom, Swaped black to dark brown, added somee flower and small trees, removed top ladder, changed entrance to cave and added tresure in it and chaged the roofs to use the newer palm leaves. (added images in the entry)

This is excellent work and looking better all the time.  I hope you're planning to put this on Rebrickable after the contest.

On 7/13/2023 at 12:45 PM, GeoBrick said:

Pretty solid update, Danny_Boy4. Feels like you striked the right balance between foliage and open space now.
I'm most fond of the statue and the left island. Especially the statue, with the many different ways you stacked the layers on top of each other.
If I would go for details, I'd recommend adding a couple dark nougat coconuts to the two palm trees, and perhaps change some of the green plates on the right island and make it feel more trodden, like a tan-colored path or clearance around the statue and drum there.

Thanks, I wanted the trees to match the ones in eldorado fortress so I won't add coconuts. I will see if some diffrent colors will look good or not.

4 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

That is incredible! Not just the build itself (which is gorgeous) but the custom minifigure prints (I need those face-painted islander heads!) and the sheer effort you've put into presenting the entry.

Thank you, I actually designed the prints first.

8 minutes ago, iragm said:

This is excellent work and looking better all the time.  I hope you're planning to put this on Rebrickable after the contest.

Thanks, but I don't think I will put it on Rebrickable as some of the parts don't currently exist in the right colors.

Ooh, great work here! I am amazed by the custom figure designs. The Islanders look almost like what you'd expect official Islanders figs to look in a modern set. Ironhook also looks amazing, and feels less like just an alternate outfit for Redbeard/Roger than in the original sets (though I kind of wish his beard were a different color to differentiate them a little bit more).

Splitting the foundation across multiple "islands" is a great idea. It both makes the layout more flexible and provides more paths for islander canoes to take (instead of just one semicircular channel). I also love the amount of foliage/plant life (especially the extensive use of the fern piece) here, since it helps differentiate it from the landscaping in Barracuda Bay and Eldorado Fortress while still keeping the level of detail consistent. Even the treasure cave's contents feel really cool and unique — I love that instead of just gold coins/ingots, they feel like artifacts with meaning to this specific culture beyond their material value.

My main gripe/nitpick is that I wish the island deity/spirit statue still used the more angular build from the original set for the sake of consistency with Barracuda Bay. Conversely, I kind of wish that the drums DIDN'T use the pattern from the original sets, since these zebra/tiger stripes never made sense to me on an island setting.

Beautiful editing work on the "box art" as well!

Oh wow, this is awkward, I have been chipping away on a remake of this set too, but your work here blows mine away lol.

I'll post my work so far later this evening maybe.

On 7/15/2023 at 10:53 PM, Aanchir said:

Ooh, great work here! I am amazed by the custom figure designs. The Islanders look almost like what you'd expect official Islanders figs to look in a modern set. Ironhook also looks amazing, and feels less like just an alternate outfit for Redbeard/Roger than in the original sets (though I kind of wish his beard were a different color to differentiate them a little bit more).

Splitting the foundation across multiple "islands" is a great idea. It both makes the layout more flexible and provides more paths for islander canoes to take (instead of just one semicircular channel). I also love the amount of foliage/plant life (especially the extensive use of the fern piece) here, since it helps differentiate it from the landscaping in Barracuda Bay and Eldorado Fortress while still keeping the level of detail consistent. Even the treasure cave's contents feel really cool and unique — I love that instead of just gold coins/ingots, they feel like artifacts with meaning to this specific culture beyond their material value.

My main gripe/nitpick is that I wish the island deity/spirit statue still used the more angular build from the original set for the sake of consistency with Barracuda Bay. Conversely, I kind of wish that the drums DIDN'T use the pattern from the original sets, since these zebra/tiger stripes never made sense to me on an island setting.

Beautiful editing work on the "box art" as well!

Thanks, I kept Ironhooks beard red because I like the ideathat he is redbeard's brother The drum without the print will boring and plain so I kept the pattern, and with the statue I wanted to do a more modern and unique take on it.

On 7/16/2023 at 6:19 PM, LucSoleBricks said:

Oh I love the little cage for the captain! Really cool!

The cage was there in the original set ad I actually missed it in my 1st version, I agree it dose look cool.

2 hours ago, Yoggington said:

Oh wow, this is awkward, I have been chipping away on a remake of this set too, but your work here blows mine away lol.

I'll post my work so far later this evening maybe.

Thanks, looking forward to see your take on this set

Boy oh boy, what a perfect set, I still have some suggestions though. First, the bridge across the islands looks a little awkward. Second, I feel that the green in the building could be interspersed with other darker green pieces. Lastly, to the far left of the building, the island looks like it overhangs a little (can't be sure). The rest of the build looks perfect! Anyway, Happy building :)

One other thing though, if you are from Russia can you even win the set if it requires you to purchase it from their website, but the Russian Lego website is shut down? 

27 minutes ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

First, the bridge across the islands looks a little awkward

can you elaborate?

40 minutes ago, zinnn said:

can you elaborate?

Sure it seems that it would be hard to move and not exactly what lego would do if they remade the set, that's all. 

2 minutes ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

Sure it seems that it would be hard to move and not exactly what lego would do if they remade the set, that's all. 

lego used the exact same bridge design in 10236 so i see no problem in them using it again.

13 minutes ago, Danny_Boy4 said:

lego used the exact same bridge design in 10236 so i see no problem in them using it again.

true enough

This is absolutely delightful! The colors works very well together and the original charm is most definitely still there. Bravo! :pir-laugh: