Mister Phes

[OFFICIAL] 10320 Eldorado Fortress - Available NOW

1 hour ago, CAESARBLACK said:

MOC one the way I want.

It'd be awesome to see what's on your mind there :pir-thumb: If anything, I think the MOD/MOC potential for 10320 is actually through the roof, I won't be surprised if we end up getting a separate thread like the one that was created for 21322 mods back in the day — and I'm all for it :pir-triumph: 

2 minutes ago, F1stzz said:

It'd be awesome to see what's on your mind there :pir-thumb: If anything, I think the MOD/MOC potential for 10320 is actually through the roof, I won't be surprised if we end up getting a separate thread like the one that was created for 21322 mods back in the day — and I'm all for it :pir-triumph: 

Great idea! i'll start that one now!

Finished the build today - probably looks most impressive in the longer configuration as the open backed buildings look a bit weird when it’s enclosed.

Lego quality control is going downhill as this is the second set this year I’ve got where they have provided an incorrect plate (different colour/mould) piece in the set. Never had that in the 10 years+ since I’ve been out of my dark ages.

I don’t like the gap in the ship build at the prow and the minifigs in the 2015 Pirate wave are superior (printed shakos, more resplendent governor, unique female figures rather than just girls in uniforms etc). The build is fairly straightforward compared to something like Lion Knight’s Castle which was almost magical at times in the way they created unique angles and it slotted together. I do like the cobbled slope and some of the tile effects they use for awnings. Probably brick bricks would have been better than some of the techniques they use in this set to create an uneven effect for the walls. The rocks look good too although they are a bit tedious to put together.

Edited by TeufelHund

25 minutes ago, TeufelHund said:

Finished the build today - probably looks most impressive in the longer configuration as the open backed buildings look a bit weird when it’s enclosed.

Lego quality control is going downhill as this is the second set this year I’ve got where they have provided an incorrect plate (different colour/mould) piece in the set. Never had that in the 10 years+ since I’ve been out of my dark ages.

I don’t like the gap in the ship build at the prow and the minifigs in the 2015 Pirate wave are superior (printed shakos, more resplendent governor, unique female figures rather than just girls in uniforms etc). The build is fairly straightforward compared to something like Lion Knight’s Castle which was almost magical at times in the way they created unique angles and it slotted together. I do like the cobbled slope and some of the tile effects they use for awnings. Probably brick bricks would have been better than some of the techniques they use in this set to create an uneven effect for the walls. The rocks look good too although they are a bit tedious to put together.

These are my exact feelings on this set! 

A similar incident happened with Battle of Hogwarts set, I got two hair pieces for a character that was missing the face itself, I had to order a missing face for that set because I think in the factory they counted that I got two minifigure head accessories I guess. I checked and double checked my bags and building area in case it rolled off but it was flat out missing, I think the fact i got an extra hair piece which is impossible, was the dead give away.  

I'm not disliking the modular aspect of it but I dislike that they changed the building style FOR the modular accommodation! It is what it is! 

Glad to know i'm not the only one who feels the 2015 prints are superior to this. I want to give LEGO the benefit of the doubt in using plain shakos versus the previously printed ones, i'm even tempted into buying more just in case I change my mind on getting more imperials. 

Possibly an unpopular opinion here, but I only have pirate sets from my childhood in the 80s/90s, and none of my Imperials have printed shakos. So I'm sort of glad that they don't come printed, to maintain the style. Has LEGO does this for consistency with the source material era, or just to cut costs? Maybe one is used to justify the other.

That said, I prefer the modern torso and face prints.

It's also a somewhat minor point compared to other things that have been raised.

Edited by RichardGoring

2 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

Possibly an unpopular opinion here, but I only have pirate sets from my childhood in the 80s/90s, and none of my Imperials have printed shakos. So I'm sort of glad that they don't come printed, to maintain the style. Has LEGO does this for consistency with the source material era, or just to cut costs? Maybe one is used to justify the other.

It's a somewhat minor point compared to other things that have been raised though.

I also like the non printed shakos, largely because printed parts are so much more expensive on PAB, and I think they look more like Lego.

The more I look at these minifigures though, the less happy I am with them, to be honest. That little string thing is driving me crazy. It's such a specific thing for them to wear an award on their uniforms. What if I don't want them to be French? What if I don't want them to he competent, as they weren't in the comics? I was really excited about this torso in particular because I regret selling my 2015 ones. Now I regret it even more because I just don't like these.

I haven't seen them in person yet though, and I generally feel more positive about Lego stuff when I see it in person.

With all of this talk about the quality of the printing, I wonder how many people would have actually preferred if they printed on a white torso instead, like the original. I actually think the original is still the best because I think there's too much contrast between it he blue torso and the white legs. Yeah, the printing was meant to imply that the had blue shirts on, but I think it actually looked better in practice.

I just ordered my copy tonight to get the Blacktron GWP. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person. I love the building itself based on what I've seen so far. But I agree that the minifigures seem to be lacking. It seems like the 2015 ones were better, except I like the red epaulettes better. I'm very glad to see those return after such a long absence.

6 hours ago, TeufelHund said:

5 hours ago, eldiano said:

A similar incident happened with Battle of Hogwarts set, I got two hair pieces for a character that was missing the face itself, I had to order a missing face for that set because I think in the factory they counted that I got two minifigure head accessories I guess. I checked and double checked my bags and building area in case it rolled off but it was flat out missing, I think the fact i got an extra hair piece which is impossible, was the dead give away.  

Now, gents, I know that's gonna be hard, but I want you to imagine yourself in a situation, when you have no PaB/BaM & "we'll send ya what's missing" options as there are NO official LEGO representatives in your country whatsoever, while having to pay not $215 — $300 for this set. That's a real situation for me, btw :pir-grin: Can't wait to pay approximately $600 for a couple of copies to have some possibly crucial pieces missing on top of the cons you've mentioned :pir-triumph:

3 hours ago, jodawill said:

I generally feel more positive about Lego stuff when I see it in person.

Hopefully this is going to be the case for you this time as well, bcuz I've checked a couple of Polish reviewers lately, and they've practically torn 10320 & the company itself apart. Not to mention the dumpster fire that's happening in the comments there, as I've already seen Poles calling for boycott of 10320 as a product, quote, "to show those Danes how Poles are capable of voting with their wallet". So yeah, from what I've seen so far, mixed opinions become even more mixed when people actually get their hands on the set. 

6 hours ago, jodawill said:

With all of this talk about the quality of the printing, I wonder how many people would have actually preferred if they printed on a white torso instead, like the original. 

I also prefer blue printing on a white torso 

40 minutes ago, DonQuixote said:

I also prefer blue printing on a white torso 

Same. It's definitely more vintage feeling, and it gives the impression of a starched white uniform. However, if they did back printing, it might look a little strange to have the underarms so white.

Got through a good few bags with my 5 year old last night. Initial thoughts are that they pumped up the brick count by converting the raise lego base into a bunch of small bricks which was expected and the only way I can really offer a enjoyment comparison to PoBB is by severely modifying it (which I planned to do anyway).

Truth be told , Pirates of Barracuda Bay spoiled us and set the bar very high and for the brick count value : money ratio in comparison 10302 is over priced.

Not one to complain but considering the hype surrounding this set , Lego dropped the ball hard on this one . They could have easily hired or taken pointers from anyone of the pros on this board to come up with something more modern.

The only set left that I would ever buy IF they recreated it is 6079 Dark forest fortress and if Lego is reading this , you better not screw that one up. 
(check this out if you guys haven't seen it: 

That being said , my first order of Pick of Brick is here so MOC'ing commences. )

Edited by CAESARBLACK

Is there any precedent for a printed shako being a mid-level officer? I have one from an unopened 70412, and I tend to prefer shakos for land units and tricornes for sailors. So I might use the printed shako soldier as the officer to command the 3 unprinted shako soldiers, and use the two females with tricornes to the ship. The governor and his daughter would have to find another place, I guess.

I'm also torn, because I could probably get at least half the price of 10320 by selling 70412, and that's tempting too.

6 hours ago, F1stzz said:

I've already seen Poles calling for boycott of 10320 as a product, quote, "to show those Danes how Poles are capable of voting with their wallet".

Is there a specific reason 10320 is raising anger in Poland? Calling for a boycott seems like an extreme reaction to a set not living up to personal expectations

52 minutes ago, CAESARBLACK said:

The only set left that I would ever buy IF they recreated it is 6079 Dark forest fortress and if Lego is reading this , you better not screw that one up. 

6079 was a North American exclusive I believe (iirc the whole Dark Forest subtheme was) so I think it's a very unlikely candidate for Icons - a large portion of their audience won't have any nostalgia for the range because it was never available for purchase in their region.

6 hours ago, F1stzz said:

Not to mention the dumpster fire that's happening in the comments there, as I've already seen Poles calling for boycott of 10320 as a product, quote, "to show those Danes how Poles are capable of voting with their wallet".

Wait, where? :pir-classic: I'm from Poland, and I intend to buy it. :pirate:

50 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Calling for a boycott seems like an extreme reaction to a set not living up to personal expectations

It really is, imo, but I've seen only a couple of such comments, so hopefully it's not representative :pir-grin:

39 minutes ago, Dreamweb said:

Here's the review:

You can check the comment section to see what I'm talking about. The overall mood seems rather rebellious to me, lol, but I'm using the built-in translator to go through everything, so maybe it's just a warped impression. I've seen another guy with a bigger subs count to seemingly have better feelings about the set, but the audience also shares mixed opinions in the comments:

46 minutes ago, Dreamweb said:

T'is the internet, fake outrage is the currency with which comments get shared, I say if there really is a boycott of the set (people online saying they won't buy a set doesn't count, BTW), then it'll show on the price of the figs and the set on Bricklink.

On 7/11/2023 at 6:58 AM, RichardGoring said:

Possibly an unpopular opinion here, but I only have pirate sets from my childhood in the 80s/90s, and none of my Imperials have printed shakos.
So I'm sort of glad that they don't come printed, to maintain the style.
Has LEGO does this for consistency with the source material era, or just to cut costs? Maybe one is used to justify the other.

Exactly my opinion as well!
My Pirates sets are all from '89 - '93 :pir-sweet:.
Apart from PoBB and the Creator Pirate Ship (31109).

ps. my avatar says enough ;)

Edited by CvS

6 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

6079 was a North American exclusive I believe (iirc the whole Dark Forest subtheme was) so I think it's a very unlikely candidate for Icons - a large portion of their audience won't have any nostalgia for the range because it was never available for purchase in their region.

I have seen 6079 for sale on yahoo.co.jp (Japan) and German ebay 

18 minutes ago, CAESARBLACK said:

I have seen 6079 for sale on yahoo.co.jp (Japan) and German ebay

That may be the case - especially now, nearly thirty years removed from the original release, when there's been time for people to buy them shipped internationally and later sell off their collections (or buy them while living in North America and later move elsewhere) but every source says the sets were never available in the rest of the world (actually, I did once see a comment suggesting that they were included in retailer catalogues in Europe but not widely released, so it may have been technically possible for small independent stockists to carry the sets for a time). They don't appear in any Lego catalogues for the rest of the world. And if you look at Bricklink, almost every listing for sale is in either the USA or Canada (there are a handful from Asia and Europe, especially for the cheapest of the sets).

There's also a minifigure head that was only available in these sets (3626bpx12) and this head is literally only available to be bought from American sellers, as it has been for some time. (I'm attempting to collect every yellow head print ever released, and I kept an eye on it for a long time hoping for a European seller before I bit the bullet and had one shipped from the States). Literally any head print that was released in wide-release sets will have listings from all over the world; the fact that 3626bpx12 does not only furthers the suggestion that the head was never released outside North America.

And while it is possible for global consumers to buy the sets now, the nostalgia factor isn't going to be there for the simple fact that people who have been able to afford to have a retired and desirable Lego set shipped across an ocean are already adults; the amount of people in the rest of the world who had these sets growing up is going to be negligible.

Finished building mine today, it's a very lovely set. Main complaint is I got a white 1x1 round brick instead of a square one in the last bag, I have plenty of spares so it's an easy fix but still quite odd. Also slightly disappointed I only got two extra pairs of red epaulettes.

Ordered my set on release day… UPS never received a package and Lego re sent it today. Very diss appointed. Also read somewhere that the soldier torsos won’t be available on BAP later this year ://///

7 minutes ago, kuzyabricks said:

Also read somewhere that the soldier torsos won’t be available on BAP later this year ://///

Time will show, they are IP marked now which is not a good sign, but there is still hope :shrug_oh_well:

I was waiting for a good offer before buying a copy it and it must be said that VIP days starting yesterday fell right on time! So I was able to get the Blacktron Cruiser, the Bionicle set, the polybag of fun accessories as gifts as well as the moving truck. Enough to largely amortize the bill I think !

I'm tempted to take advantage of the offer again and buy a second copy right away, but I still think I'll wait for the Majisto GWP to come out to do so.

It looks like my decision to buy right at release has completely backfired; my card was charged but the set has gone missing in transit. :( So still no set, missed out on the VIP days GWP, and I'm out $220. Yikes. Not sure if I should request a refund now and a. try again, hoping the same thing doesn't happen, or b. try and drive to a LEGO store on Monday and hope it doesn't sell out before then. :(

1 hour ago, TalonCard said:

It looks like my decision to buy right at release has completely backfired; my card was charged but the set has gone missing in transit. :( So still no set, missed out on the VIP days GWP, and I'm out $220. Yikes. Not sure if I should request a refund now and a. try again, hoping the same thing doesn't happen, or b. try and drive to a LEGO store on Monday and hope it doesn't sell out before then. :(

Same thing happened to me. Call them and request a reshipment. It’s completely free of charge. 

The black tricorne hats with reddish brown hair are now available to buy on lego.com online Pick-A-Brick