6 minutes ago, Triceron said:

Regardless of whether it is GWP or not, I don't think that's a good excuse.  It was never a good excuse for LKC when Majisto appeared without print, and it isn't a good excuse now even as a GWP.  IMO, they should look at remaking a different set that would be easier to translate, as a GWP.  There's plenty of Classic sets that could use a modern revamp, like Blacksmith shop, Guarded Inn and all that.

What do you mean by translate? As this one is a very close copy of the original that translates from old parts to new parts quite well (aside from the missing helmet parts and shield). 

Your alternative suggestions, with four figures or two plus a horse, are unrealistic for a GWP unless the threshold is even higher.  I'd prefer they keep doing these nostalgia sets (and make them as close as possible to the originals) than not do them and instead have more things like houses of the world.

Just now, unclejeffie said:

Do we even know the torso is a print and not a sticker?

Why do you think it would be a sticker?

4 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

Well if you look at Dragon Knights and Black Knights, their big shields are actually the same - with one having a blue and the other having a green dragon - which would speak for them beeing the same faction (though in different times) - same as Dark Forest actually is Forestmen.

Or sharing a common origin and then developed into different factions. In the 1993 catalog they both appear together and there Majisto is using his dragon to scare away some Black Knights that are approaching a Dragon Knights castle (6082) on a cliff.

31 minutes ago, F1stzz said:

I find it interesting how pretty much everybody was drooling over the new Eldorado Fortress (which indeed has to be payed for with a hefty sum), but now, all of a sudden, the long-awaited GWP (which people are technically getting for free) is receiving lots of complaints on outdated design/building techniques & underwhelming minifigs/accessories. If anything, I'm glad this "Majisto remake" is at least good enough to be a wake-up call for many.

GWPs are not free. We all pay for them :shrug_confused:

47 minutes ago, MAB said:

Aside from the knight's helmet, I think it looks quite good. It looks very similar to the original with a few updates where necessary.  No doubt the whole front including the door splits open hinged from the back (like the original) and so it will be interesting to see the inside. 

Majisto was always going to be a boring plain figure based on the LKC and I didn't get my hopes up about getting a new or reintroduced vintage helmet or plume so i am not even that shocked there. I'll get more of the torso when they appear on PAB. 

I agree, they did a good job with the pieces that were available.

2 hours ago, jodawill said:

The images dropped on Reddit. This is hilarious. I was just talking to a friend recently about how that one Dragon Masters torso is the goofiest one of all time, and here it is. It looks like they didn't even update the design. It's just a straight up reprinting that of the original.

I do agree that the dragon knights torso isn´t the best castle torso that exist, but for me that one actually looks updated. However I will need better pictures to really judge if the reinterpretation is good or not. But it is clearly better than the original one for me.

31 minutes ago, MAB said:

Majisto was always going to be a boring plain figure based on the LKC and I didn't get my hopes up about getting a new or reintroduced vintage helmet or plume so i am not even that shocked there. I'll get more of the torso when they appear on PAB. 

Well the set as whole doesn´t look that bad to me, although I kinda would have wished they would have stayed less true to the original workshop. I didn´t expect a new helmet or a plume either. But I was hoping for a shield and a print for Majisto. I mean a bag for his incredients and a belt or better a cord would have made that minifigure so much better. they could even just let the torso unprinted and just print the skirt. Anyways, I wouldn´t count on the torso to show up on Pick a brick. It is not impossible since the blacktron torso did, but that doesn´t mean we will see this one too.

24 minutes ago, F1stzz said:

I find it interesting how pretty much everybody was drooling over the new Eldorado Fortress (which indeed has to be payed for with a hefty sum), but now, all of a sudden, the long-awaited GWP (which people are technically getting for free) is receiving lots of complaints on outdated design/building techniques & underwhelming minifigs/accessories. If anything, I'm glad this "Majisto remake" is at least good enough to be a wake-up call for many.

Just because you dislike the Eldorado Fortress doesn´t mean others have to do the same - would be boring if everyone had the same taste. And noone here complained about building techniques but mainly about the minifigures and some of the overall look of the set.

5 minutes ago, MAB said:

Your alternative suggestions, with four figures or two plus a horse, are unrealistic for a GWP unless the threshold is even higher.

Two minifigures and a horse don´t seem that unrealistic to me actually. And it isn´t that unlikely that we will see a gwp having that this year.

7 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

GWPs are not free. We all pay for them :shrug_confused:

Technically, you're paying for something else, not straight for a GWP. If there's something you'd really like to get within the threshold, you'll just get the GWP basically for free since the latter isn't the main focus. Now, when the goal is the GWP itself more than anything — then yeah, fair enough.

The problem is really with the quality of stuff in the gwp, not the quantity, a horse would have certainly helped though. Sadly, I think its a pass for me, hopefully the torso goes on pab

Edited by Gavino

3 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

Just because you dislike the Eldorado Fortress doesn´t mean others have to do the same - would be boring if everyone had the same taste.

I'm not a fan of tasting a rot, so wholeheartedly agree :pir-thumb:

7 minutes ago, Triceron said:

Hrm, I'd only heard good things about Eldorado Fortress.  Curious to know what you considered disappointing in the set.  As a casual observer, it looked like it had some really good things going for it, like the modularity.

I agree the modularity of Eldorado Fortress could offer great possibilities for modifications, but designed with the modularity in mind, the fortress on its own has some serious design flaws. I really dislike the interrupted parapet and the open back of the tower.

They gave us almost a one on one copy from the original fortress, which was a play set. I like the new set a lot as a play set, but don't think it's outstanding enough to be advertised as a +18 display set. I love the Lion Knights' Castle and Pirates of Barracuda Bay, where the designers showed all their love for the themes. I just don't feel they did the same for the Imperials, for example easter eggs are really missing.

1 minute ago, F1stzz said:

Technically, you're paying for something else, not straight for a GWP. If there's something you'd really like to get within the threshold, you'll just get the GWP basically for free since the latter isn't the main focus. Now, when the goal is the GWP itself more than anything — then yeah, fair enough.

With everything you buy from Lego you pay a little for the GWPs. A billion dollar company does not give you something for free. They want people to think it's free, yes. Every time a person buys something high priced directly from Lego and gets a "free" GWP the reward center in the brain is triggered heavily. Of course every big company knows how that works.

35 minutes ago, unclejeffie said:

Do we even know the torso is a print and not a sticker?

I don't think Lego has done stickered torsos since the Lego Factory theme? Don't see why they'd start now, especially since past GWPs (even ones with stickers like the Blacktron Cruiser) have had printed torsos.

6 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I don't think Lego has done stickered torsos since the Lego Factory theme? Don't see why they'd start now, especially since past GWPs (even ones with stickers like the Blacktron Cruiser) have had printed torsos.

Exactly. And also, you actually can see on the pics that they are no stickers.

33 minutes ago, MAB said:

What do you mean by translate? As this one is a very close copy of the original that translates from old parts to new parts quite well (aside from the missing helmet parts and shield).

Your alternative suggestions, with four figures or two plus a horse, are unrealistic for a GWP unless the threshold is even higher.  I'd prefer they keep doing these nostalgia sets (and make them as close as possible to the originals) than not do them and instead have more things like houses of the world.

We will be getting a GWP w/Horse and Cart later this year.  I'm not sure what the threshold for those are, so you may be right in being a higher requirement.  It's being compared to Santa's Workshop GWP, which was only a $150 threshold for a pretty decent sized set with 2 minis.  Considering the Armor shop (mistaken as blacksmith) was a small build I could consider it comparable, even if it has a horse.

As for translate, I mean having the most iconic parts of a set.  The only thing Dragon Masters about this set is the torso.  Only the building is being translated, while the rest of the iconic Castle parts are pretty much thrown to the wind.  I might be presumptuous here in my expectations, but I'd prefer if they reserved a remake of Majisto's Workshop as a proper set like LKC, or at least wait for a Dragon Master CMF, that eats the budget of new molds and benefits from being able to bring back new 'Classic' parts like the helms, plumes, shields and weapons.  Much like how LKC ate the cost of the Forestmen shield and torso prints so we could get the GWP.  If not for LKC eating the budget, I'd hate to imagine blank brown shields with stickers, like the Castle in the Forest had.

Like if they were going to remake sets, they could have had a 'Dragon Master' CMF that eats the budget for some returning new molds.  That way, a Majisto workshop could benefit from returning plume, or shield, or weapon; whatever a Dragon Master CMF manages to bring to the table..  But the knight here is very lackluster, and the iconic dragon emblems are just regular blue plumes, which makes the building much more standard than as a plussed-up remake.

I think it's alright. That's a bit damning with faint praise, but that's what it is - alright. It's decently sized for a GWP and it hopefully has some decent interior space. I also don't have any nostalgia tied to this set, or Dragon Knights.

The main question is why they chose this set, if it couldn't have the things that made it unique originally, and who not something else that would have been easier to pull off. But outside of the figures, it seems to recreate a classic set well. I would have preferred something that was more of a modern remake like LKC, PoBB, or Galaxy Explorer, rather than trying to replicate the original set, like Eldorado Fortress. But LEGO is sort of damned if you do and damned if you don't to a certain extent.

I look forward to some cool MOCs around it though.

Edited by RichardGoring

Like many here I am disappointed that TLG did not take the opportunity to remake the different unique elements of Dragon Masters. This does not bode well for the future potential of this "renew" faction.

Too bad also for the halberd which I would like to see reappear as well as the classic axe which I love (the spear is still available, why did they abandon the axe molding?).

I hope there are no stickers in this set because the flaps look they got ones. 

I also notice that the packaging is less in the refined spirit of classic yellow boxes than those of the 40567 Forest Hideout and the 40580 Blacktron Cruiser.

Otherwise the construction seems quite interesting to me and I'm sure the interior is nice. Let's wait to see the full photos in HD.

I had planned to place an order for the Insiders Weekend so I will make sure to acquire it but I am quite disappointed with the DM figurine. They could have done a lot better.

I was expecting more, and hoping TlG would include the dragon master shield. But I am okay with this set. Hopefully the price threshold isn't too high to get this. I've been waiting to buy the viking village in the hopes that price point will be enough for the gwp.

4 minutes ago, Shroffy123 said:

I was expecting more, and hoping TlG would include the dragon master shield. But I am okay with this set. Hopefully the price threshold isn't too high to get this. I've been waiting to buy the viking village in the hopes that price point will be enough for the gwp.

The threshold is said to be ~250$.

Well.  I guess I kind of have to get it since I was already saving purchases for it and there’s double points and all.  It is extra parts that are castle related.  But honestly I am now terrified that they are going to use that goofy torso in the MTS instead of the double axe I was hoping for.

Edited by Black Feather

8 minutes ago, Black Feather said:

Well.  I guess I kind of have to get it since I was already saving purchases for it and there’s double points and all.  It is extra parts that are castle related.  But honestly I am now terrified that they are going to use that goofy torso in the MTS instead of the double axe I was hoping for.

If they were to use that torso in the Village, they would also have shields, so we can be pretty sure it won´t show up there. However, since they didn´t make the shields, I am kinda wondering if we are even getting any new shields in that set. Seems likely to me they just use the existing ones.

Hmm. Pretty disappointed. Dragon print is meh but really don’t understand the logic of giving the character who’s set it’s named after a non-printed torso!

Will be interested to see what the threshold is in GBP. Still want the Eldorado fortress but might put the money towards Rivendell and CMF 25. 

7 minutes ago, jodawill said:

I'm still open to the idea that this "leak" is an elaborate hoax.

Yeah.  Or maybe LEGO leaking false info to catch leakers.  Keep hope alive.

15 minutes ago, jodawill said:

I'm still open to the idea that this "leak" is an elaborate hoax.

The build and boxart may look like this :pir_laugh2: 

Edited by Yperio_Bricks
typo