BrickJagger

Lego Icons 10332 Medieval Town Square Discussion Thread

Slightly disappointed with the design, but with the announced price tag I think it's still okay.

The buildings on the right (tower, tavern...) look great, it's just the ones on the left that look quite bland, both colorĀ and construction wise, and they also look very... old school? Like something out of the Kingdoms sets. I like the thatched roofs but okay, we've seen them before. Beyond that the only highlight to me is the pulley system.

However I'm pleased with the minifigures and I'm still holding out hope for some nice surprises on the inside...

6 hours ago, Roebuck said:

What is missing from the prelim and how much would that cost to include? What I can see on first glance:

• forestman
  • jester
  • guard
  • horse
  • 2 sheep
  • cow
  • calf
  • 3 owls
  • 1 squirrel
  • most beehives and flowers
  • 2 big trees
  • 2 small birds
  • 1 floor on one of the buildings and the rest look smaller also?
  • 1 marked stall and some other details in front

I imagine it would cost quite a lot more with all thatā€¦

12 minutes ago, Rjbricks said:

I mean, if they reversed the brick count from the building on the left to like a thousand pieces, we could had gotten more animals and peopleĀ 

6 minutes ago, vizzitor said:

Have Brickset jumped the gun on the reveal? The article has gone now.

Disappeared for me too. Now Iā€™m kicking myself for not saving pictures.

Edit: Brick clicker has all the pictures on Instagram.

Edited by HotdogBricks

I have the brickset article still open -- and on the picture of the back, there are hinges in the connection between the red / olive green building -- so I'm wondering if they can be shut? But may just be there for the odd angles -- it looks like part of the olive green building's rafters would (just) be still visible if closed... And to my eye, the three buildings on the other side are almost closed on the front of the box but open on the back suggesting they can be condensed?

Edited by PhoenixBuilder

Brick Clicker also has the pics on IG.Ā 

I like the torso prints for the figures and the new Lion Knight shield. The build looks a little too simple, but I suppose that is to match more with LKC. Didn't meet my expectations, but I will still pick it up.Ā 

IsĀ 

5 minutes ago, PhoenixBuilder said:

I have the brickset article still open -- and on the picture of the back, there are hinges in the connection between the red / olive green building -- so I'm wondering if they can be shut? But may just be there for the odd angles -- it looks like part of the olive green building's rafters would (just) be still visible if closed... And to my eye, the three buildings on the other side are almost closed on the front of the box but open on the back suggesting they can be condensed?

This fits LKC when it comes to the build, you can see the hinges in ever section thatā€™s opened up. Ā 

Great pictures on Instagram. Wolfpack, some great torso printing on civilians, especially the tab shirt. I wish the one building connected to the castle, but I think the amount of stickers are more concerning. Besides that. I'm fine with the set. Great addition to the castle series.Ā 

15 minutes ago, Rjbricks said:

My rough estimate would be another 50 ā‚¬.

Definitely a set to purchase early. At least half the torso's are new, a good line of trades on display, and compatibility with both the LKC and the old MMV.
From what I see sofar I like the stable-like structure with the rounded window in the roof, the Red Inn-like house, and the ground floor of the right-most house the most.

So, we 'upgraded' from a medieval market village to a town square in the span of 15 years. Hopefully we won't have to waitĀ thatĀ long for a medieval city set.Ā :knight:

I am a bit disappointed. The set looks very simple and not like a 18+ set. Easy pass for me.

I love the goat and the torsos. But the buildings are not very detailed, which is a pity. Also, the roofs... Lots of claws... A new technique would have been nice!

Hard to tell until better pics, but it's possibly a long version of a Lion faction shield in there.

Looks maybe like a half-red, half-blue, with a golden lion head. 20 of those from PAB in the future please.

Looks like we are getting four shields, but only one new shield print! The back looks so much better than the front!

Edited by Follows Closely

The flags are clearly stickers, which is disappointing, but I would have accepted that if there were more animals or something. It seems like we just lost a lot of whatĀ the designer originally intended. Paper pushers turned what would have been the set of the year into an "I could possibly pass on this and not regret it."

I love the purple minifigure. I'll buy a lot of those from PAB. It's also great to see Wolfpack return. Those two things are the highlight of the set for me. The minifigures here are great, but I was still hoping for something more, like a new plume, the double axe torso, or a recolor of the forestmen hat. And I never imagined there wouldn't be a single large animal.

I think the designer did a fine job, but someone in management slashed his budget at the last minute and we were left with an incomplete set.

What do people make of the new shield? Is it supposed to look unfinished? It doesn't really match any of the minifigures.

I really like it. Yes, it's a shame there aren't more animals, and that it doesn't have another knights faction, and the shield painter has only one finished/in-progress shield with a lot of blank ones. But the variety of figures is good, the build goes nicely with the LKC, there is a good amount of interior detail, they have play scenarios done nicely with a mechanism for the lift too. And, unlike Snow White's cottage, the exterior/roof hasn't been overdone.

I'd like to see how the tavern and shield painter's shop look when back to back as a 'single' building, as it feels like they will jar with each other.

Personally I would have preferred a set that was $50 more and gave us a bunch more stuff, but how often have we said that things are overpriced, so I appreciate them doing the compromise for 'only' $230!

A funny tidbit: what was used as a (high) stool in the MMV, is a night stand in this set. Look in the town guard's bedroom.

Bah... Well, these high-res photos are a bit of a mixed bag for me as well. While it does look like the rooms are nice and full, I feel like too many compromises were made. Missing animals. Stickers galore. Exterior details that feel thrown together, or are just missing. I think a lot of people hit the nail on the head when they saw that the old MMV had a lot of exterior details and play areas - all this one has is a sad tree, a small stand, and a cart, while the old one had a much larger tree, an expanded stall area, and the feasting table, let alone all of the critters.Ā The goat and the new torsos are nice, but those will all be coming to Pick a Brick anyways. The set is by no means bad, but it's not a slam dunk by any measure.

Hopefully this goes for a wider release eventually and I can get it at a bit of a discount... I think $180-$200 (which isn't completely unreasonable, at that's about the PPP of the Viking Village, which is allĀ printed and had new torsos) is about what I value this at. I would have been willing to do $230 if it did have more animals, prints, and more exterior details.Ā What a shame...

This is why releasing pictures in advance is important.

Just imagine if something could have been done to adjust some of the issues before release (if Lego decided to listen to the critics) instead of wait just weeks before the product hits shelves to show us what is coming out.

11 minutes ago, jodawill said:

What do people make of the new shield? Is it supposed to look unfinished? It doesn't really match any of the minifigures.

Overall, I like the shield print but I donā€™t why they decided to print it on a white shield? Would have looked much better on a typical light bluish gray. I agree it doesnā€™t match the minifigures in the set but it will probably go really well with the LKC queen. But I have doubts about using it for knights as it looks to royal to be in battle.