Milan

[CADA] CADA General Discussion Topic

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LvdH said:

I was quite excited for that one, but $180 is quite a bit more than I was willing to spend for it. 

Also: those red parts which I guess are supposed to be the taillight look awful and should have been orange. The P1’s taillights don’t look like that. 
I think whoever at Cada turned it into an orange car didn’t realise that the original red version by PvdB didn’t have taillights built in. 

Yes, I see now that the taillights are not the continuous curve as depicted, the red part should still be the bodywork color. The original MOC was all red so maybe they thought it was supposed to be the taillight or it was a compromise, since at this scale it's difficult to make them thinner. If this was LEGO it would just be a sticker so...
zhklxeiennv21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Edited by R0Sch

On 3/16/2024 at 8:39 PM, R0Sch said:

The price (for Cada) seems a little steep for a 1:10 model, though it clearly has a high parts count and great functions for its size. And the red at the back does look odd. Still, I'll be happy to add this one to my growing Cada collection at some point.

On 3/16/2024 at 7:39 AM, R0Sch said:

Thanks.  It was an interesting project.  To answer a few of the subsequent points.  I was consulted on all of the changes that CADA had to make in order to make my model fit with their parts inventory, an on the colour scheme.  Regarding the red strip at the back, I thought it was an interesting take on incorporating the lights, but it is pretty simple to change out for bodywork colours as was in my original design.

Hi,

I managed to destroy Cada carbon fibre axles, i thought you guys might appreciate the pictures;

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

lesson to be learned, 4 Pro L motors driving the same axle without gear reduction is not a good idea.

Impressive! I managed to shred some (MouldKing?) ones a while back, but that was with a non-Lego motor

If the rumors about the upcoming Lego Technic 1:8 McLaren are correct, then CaDa has beaten them to the punch with releasing the Assassin XR this year.

7 hours ago, lmdesigner42 said:

If the rumors about the upcoming Lego Technic 1:8 McLaren are correct, then CaDa has beaten them to the punch with releasing the Assassin XR this year.

Is the Assassin 1:8 or 1:10? If it's 1:10 then i'd say they haven't. And since it's not licenced (yes any car guy knows its a Mclaren) I'd say they still haven't.

Cool looking model though but i've seen enough in orange, I'd like a different colour please

23 minutes ago, MarkyMark42 said:

Is the Assassin 1:8 or 1:10? If it's 1:10 then i'd say they haven't. And since it's not licenced (yes any car guy knows its a Mclaren) I'd say they still haven't.

It’s 1:10. So I agree it not going to take much away from the (rumored) LEGO McLaren. 

1 hour ago, langko said:

It’s 1:10. So I agree it not going to take much away from the (rumored) LEGO McLaren. 

I'd say that depends very much on what model of McLaren we get from Lego. The Cada Assassin may be only 1:10, but still includes a gearbox and all the features Lego have only been putting in their bigger 1:8 sets. If Lego also stick to their pattern of 1:8 cars modelling latest releases from manufacturers then we might find that Cada are offering a more iconic vehicle with all the same functions packed in a smaller and much more affordable package.

2 hours ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

I'd say that depends very much on what model of McLaren we get from Lego. The Cada Assassin may be only 1:10, but still includes a gearbox and all the features Lego have only been putting in their bigger 1:8 sets. If Lego also stick to their pattern of 1:8 cars modelling latest releases from manufacturers then we might find that Cada are offering a more iconic vehicle with all the same functions packed in a smaller and much more affordable package.

It is still not licensed. To be honest I don't understand why CADA is releasing such sets (well recognized car design with a random name. McLaren can't sue them, but it is obvious that they will moneterise on behalf o McLaren's intellectual property ) . They are trying to "legalise" themselves and build the name of a brand with licensed models. I see no consistency here. 

Releasing models clearly based on iconic vehicles without license is pretty much the same Lego used to do for many many years. It is fair to criticise this. But make sure you do not have 8070 Dodge Viper, 10258 Routemaster London Bus, 5571 Peterbilt Giant Truck, 8458 Mercedes Silver Star and so on in your collection.

53 minutes ago, brickphisto said:

Releasing models clearly based on iconic vehicles without license is pretty much the same Lego used to do for many many years. It is fair to criticise this. But make sure you do not have 8070 Dodge Viper, 10258 Routemaster London Bus, 5571 Peterbilt Giant Truck, 8458 Mercedes Silver Star and so on in your collection.

LOL How was 8070 a Dodge Viper?

You are bending reality too much here to support your narrative

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, brickphisto said:

Key word is 'used' to do. One competitor company is paying for McLaren license, another is not. Is that a fair competition? 

I will remark again my point. CADA did great job refreshing their portfolio. All licensed models are amazing. Only thing which I don't understand is inconsistency. If they are investing into the image of the company by hiring all these great MOC'ers and buying licenses, why to add such set to the portfolio. I wouldn't even care to post here a comment if this would be done by Mould King or any other knock-off brand from AliExpress. CADA could do better if they seek to be a main competitor LEGO. Just my five cents.

Edited by Oh_Hi_Mao

11 minutes ago, Lipko said:

LOL How was 8070 a Dodge Viper?

You are bending reality too much here to support your narrative

I am by no means the only one thinking of a Dodge Viper looking at 8070. Maybe you are right that I am "bending reality" a little here but far less than Lego do so by calling 10262 an Aston Martin DB5 or calling 42093 a Chevrolet Corvette e.g. :laugh:

11 minutes ago, Oh_Hi_Mao said:

Key word is 'used' to do. One competitor company is paying for McLaren license, another is not. Is that a fair competition?

10258 went EoL about two years ago, 10290 did so only three months ago. That is not so long ago I guess.

Regarding licensing you are right: That is clearly no fair competition. It is pure speculation because we do not know licensing fees or selling numbers but I am pretty sure paying licensing fees pays off multiple times by selling a more attractive set to a wider audience for a higher price. So the competitor acquiring a license usually is the one having the advantage.

Two reviews of my crane truck

One in English

and a review in german.

@efferman Great Review!

I agree with everything you said in your well done review. The set indeed should be considered the Technic set of the year for all the reasons you stated. Plus the price makes it a bargain, in my opinion, whether you select the powered or un-powered version. As a down note, you are also correct about the quality of the actuators - my boom actuator broke last week and had to be replace it with one I had on hand. As you indicated, the instructions are a bit lacking and at times confusing. You mentioned the complexity of the gear box several times (which is true) and therein lies one of the failures of the instructions. Nothing gets tested until the end of the build and that could be a serious problem if someone makes a mistake during their build with one or more of those many gears. A few test functions along the way could prevent someone's frustration later on.

While the model does function very well without power, the crane winch is geared so low that raising/lowering the hook manually will test your fingers! The motorized version is the one I opted for and you are correct: adding the motors is done at the end of the build, which in my opinion is another flaw in the instructions. To add the motors, the builder needs to disassemble and remove much of the interior cab work. CADA should have made a notation at that point of the build process to say "Hey, if you are building the motorized version, skip to page XXX". Instead, they have the builder finish the build, then tear it partially apart to install the motors. If one initially built the model for manual play and later decides to add the motors, then I guess this is OK but not you ordered the motorized version to begin with.

Another point about the motors. As you stated, only two are needed. This is a testament to Michael's design. That so many functions are available yet can be operated and controlled with only two motors is a real engineering achievement! 

You asked for the proper names for the "pillars" and in the US, they are called stabilizers or stabilizing arms and the mechanisms on the ends are stabilizing jacks. As for the piece of cord CaDA supplied for securing the crane's hook, I found rubber bands to be far more easier to use.

Again, your review was excellent and I generally agree with everything you said. I hope your review drives more people to buy this set and thus spur more models of this nature. Sorry YouTube won't let me give you more than one like!

1 hour ago, Lego Tom said:

I agree with everything you said in your well done review.

Sorry, the video is not made by myself.

19 minutes ago, efferman said:

Sorry, the video is not made by myself.

Doesn't matter - it was still well done! LOL!

Posted (edited)

Hello I'm new in this forum, but I wanted to share my latest effort, hoping somebody will refine what I did or will give a different take ;)

Following the discussion about the Suzuki Katana, I too was not satisfied with two aspects of the model: it had the shifting mechanism on the wrong side of the bike, and it included a V4 engine, when the original bike features an inline-4.

For the shifting mechanism:
I managed easily to mirror the steps of the instructions and ended up with the pedal on the correct side. It required me to modify a couple of things in the paneling, but very few extra pieces were needed, close to none. The only real problem is with the kickstand, which touches the newly added pieces. I didn't want to spend too much time on this mod, so I ended up filing a bit of the end of the kickstand, since it is a fairly common piece, but I feel like there's definitely room for improvements. Maybe with more extra pieces the kickstand as a whole can be changed to end up with a better solution. In the end the paneling needed close to no modification, only moving the technic-panel on the bottom left. Both the brick built panel as well as the technic built panel required no rework.

Regarding the engine:
in this pic is not so clear, but I managed to fit a mini-scale engine, using the freed space, and connected it to the gearbox through a couple of gears and rubber bands. I had to slightly modify how a couple of bodywork panels are attached to the bike, but the position didn't change. Not fully happy with this solution, but I feel it's an improvement over the original model, being much more faithful to the original bike.

53640044334_2afb3ef8ec.jpg 53640044344_81c4e82bd2.jpg 53639707601_08126a7563.jpg

Edited by ExtranceIT
Missed to include a description of one of my mods, so edited to include such part

@ExtranceIT Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately picture hosting isn't a thing at EuroBricks and you need to host them externally, bricksafe.com I can recommend, and link them from there (keep in mind the 1024px restriction of pictures posted here).

45 minutes ago, aFrInaTi0n said:

@ExtranceIT Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately picture hosting isn't a thing at EuroBricks and you need to host them externally, bricksafe.com I can recommend, and link them from there (keep in mind the 1024px restriction of pictures posted here).

Yup, i believe I did. In the first comment I didn’t know and included just one picture, now I believe after the edit it is now correct, hosted on flickr. Correct me if I did another oopsie 

Oh boy, it was my adguard, I accidentally switched on the blocking of flickr - so I have to say sorry.. 8[ stupid me

Was just browsing the Cada online shop and noticed that the pictures of the LaFerrari have been updated with the new rounded panels. I wonder if there is any improvements/changes made structurally.
For those curious how it looks now that they seem to be discontinuing the old panels:
https://decadastore.com/products/viva-hypercar-c61505w
You'll need to scroll down a little bit to see them.

46 minutes ago, LvdH said:

Was just browsing the Cada online shop and noticed that the pictures of the LaFerrari have been updated with the new rounded panels. I wonder if there is any improvements/changes made structurally.

Thanks for the heads up:thumbup:

Differences compared to the previous version:

1: Replacement of old curved panels by the new ones to comply with TLG's copyright. (notice the rounder panel edges on types #1/2, #3/4, #5/6, #13/14, #17/18, #21/22)

2: Replacement of several other pieces to comply with TLG's copyright, most notably:  Lego Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular Triple ,  10197.png

3: Minor structural improvements, only in areas where where it could be realised with minimal changes/extra parts. E.g. the rear pinhole in the mudguard panel is now connected to the subframe of the engine cover and the taillights are much better secured now. 

4: Potentially improved parts quality. I cannot confirm this, but improving part quality is a continuous on-going process, not specifically for this set of course.

Now that the CaDa's parts catalogue is fully compliant with TLG's copyright, us designers can safely work with all parts in their current catalogue (and help innovate new parts!) without unwanted surprises like was the case during development of this set. Hence, the quality of the sets will only continue to go up, exciting stuff to come!