It’s amazing how much better it looks with the longer boom and Derrick weights.  I wonder how many sets this guy bought?

7 minutes ago, aminnich said:

It’s amazing how much better it looks with the longer boom and Derrick weights.  I wonder how many sets this guy bought?

You'd get that many boom pieces from 2 sets it looks like. 

Edited by allanp

1 hour ago, aminnich said:

The tall version of a crane was made from two sets

49 minutes ago, Oh_Hi_Mao said:

The tall version of a crane was made from two sets

Ah, TLGs good ol' PTT (passenger train trick:pir-laugh:) hits again with success!

Since quite some time now, they only sell 1/2 of a passenger train - which always looks stupid; the HE, the new HE, the ICE, the new ICE (yes a wheel in perpetual motion it is), and so on and so forth. So, buy two and it looks "good". Or more "realistic".

And since the equation (€ 650 - huge rabatz) x 2 = huge profit still holds (as in the train world, here we are looking more into the € 150 region), all is good.

They did it again - this time in the high price region!

All the best,
Thorsten 

29 minutes ago, Toastie said:

Ah, TLGs good ol' PTT (passenger train trick:pir-laugh:) hits again with success!

Since quite some time now, they only sell 1/2 of a passenger train - which always looks stupid; the HE, the new HE, the ICE, the new ICE (yes a wheel in perpetual motion it is), and so on and so forth. So, buy two and it looks "good". Or more "realistic".

And since the equation (€ 650 - huge rabatz) x 2 = huge profit still holds (as in the train world, here we are looking more into the € 150 region), all is good.

They did it again - this time in the high price region!

All the best,
Thorsten 

And best of all, all group pages, Eurobricks as well is flooded by this 'awful bad set' that everyone tells it is, even a few people buying 2sets indeed helping TLG profit. And the other 1Aug sets are nowhere to be seen. Yamaha with cool new gearbox parts? None to be seen, no gearbox MOC's yet, nothing. But everyone jumping on this 'to expensive' "train". Pretty amuzing to see after all the criticism it was getting BEFORE release.

2 hours ago, Mr Jos said:

Pretty amuzing to see after all the criticism it was getting BEFORE release

I totally agree. Well, too small "it" is in every aspect, wasn't that the major criticism? Too small hurts, I guess. Twice as big is much better. So ... let the too small dust settle, then the other sets will magically appear. But first I'd rake in the Liebherr credits! If I were designing this game, of course. No, toy(!) of course. Sorry:pir-laugh:!

Isn't that a cool conspiracy theory? We are now talking 1000$/€ per game played here ...

I need returning to wrestling with GFA Basic on this Atari ST to find the second key for @evank's challenge ... may need to purchase another 9750 (for 50 credits) for that game ...

Best regards,
Thorsten 

2 hours ago, Mr Jos said:

And best of all, all group pages, Eurobricks as well is flooded by this 'awful bad set' that everyone tells it is, even a few people buying 2sets indeed helping TLG profit. And the other 1Aug sets are nowhere to be seen. Yamaha with cool new gearbox parts? None to be seen, no gearbox MOC's yet, nothing. But everyone jumping on this 'to expensive' "train". Pretty amuzing to see after all the criticism it was getting BEFORE release.

Yamaha is 25% worse in terms of weight and parts count than the BMW (same scale but it's thinner and less bulky), which was already overpriced when it released, before they bumped that one up by 25%. A handful of new gearbox parts (which should arrive in bricks and pieces in due time) does not make it compelling to buy.

Flipping heck. That thing looks so much better with the longer boom but alas still no way it’d go on my shelf. Although thinking about it, I could keep it on the floor and use it to fetch stuff off of the shelves…🙂

15 hours ago, Toastie said:

I totally agree. Well, too small "it" is in every aspect, wasn't that the major criticism? Too small hurts, I guess. Twice as big is much better. So ... let the too small dust settle, then the other sets will magically appear. But first I'd rake in the Liebherr credits! If I were designing this game, of course. No, toy(!) of course. Sorry:pir-laugh:!

Isn't that a cool conspiracy theory? We are now talking 1000$/€ per game played here ...

I need returning to wrestling with GFA Basic on this Atari ST to find the second key for @evank's challenge ... may need to purchase another 9750 (for 50 credits) for that game ...

Best regards,
Thorsten 

I think one of the most interesting things about it all is that HUGE Lego cranes have been around since at least the 1990's.  Out of the old Technic Bricks, even before liftarms were a thing.  Huge mobile, crawler, tower, etc. cranes.  In fact, I thought they were somewhat dead.  

I guess because of their size and overall impressiveness, they can capture the interest of new generations.  Because large Lego cranes have been around from the beginning, and other than the app and what it offers, this crane really does not offer something new.  New elements I guess, but they don't offer something that couldn't be built in the past.  Frame could be build out of liftarms or bricks.  Slewing rings, even large, robust ones could be built.  Old cranes were functional.  Heck, even the counterweights could be reproduced either by battery boxes or boat weights.  

As a HUGE crane fan I was ready to buy this set.  Even several.  I love building cranes that much.  But I haven't and I won't. I just don't see what it offers - given its price.  

You know... I have been thinking.  In my efforts to boycott this set I may even break out my old MOC and rebuild and improve.  It was an old rendition of LR Liebherr 1750.  There was much that could be done to improve it.  I didn't make instructions, but I have lots of photos and recall a good deal of details.  I have some other projects going on right now, but I might just do it sometime. 

LR1750_extended boom

Wow nerdsforpres that crane looks good. I agree the other one, 2 liebherrs made into one much taller crane looks far better compared to the current model, but I cannot afford one yet, let alone two, so will just wait. 

I am interested to know if the problem with length of string and the app not recognising the extra length can be overcome, or not. 

47 minutes ago, The Southern Brickfan said:

length of string and the app not recognising the extra length can be overcome, or not.

I believe that was wolved already was it not?  I was under the impression that the extra length problem could not be overcome...

56 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

I believe that was wolved already was it not?  I was under the impression that the extra length problem could not be overcome...

Definition of "wolved": "to have overcome a problem or obstacle using a wolf, or wolves".

Edited by Maaboo35

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

Definition of "wolved": "to have overcome a problem or obstacle using a wolf, or wolves".

Lol....or simply a misspelling of "solved" especially since w is close to s on a standard keyboard :wink:

I prefer Maaboo35's definition, and anyone who says it's not the best is a big silly doodoohead.

3 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

A brick-built reel with a larger minimum diameter has been mentioned.

1 hour ago, pleegwat said:

A brick-built reel with a larger minimum diameter has been mentioned.

I was referring more to the fact that ( according to the reviews I have seen) there is just enough string on the. Original modem to get the hook to reach the ground, so if the (2×liebherr set) version is so much taller, can the hook still reach the ground?

Either because longer string has been used, or because the number of pulleys used on the hook line has been reduced?

Thanks

I have been doing some numbers on the counterbalance. Sorry, all numbers except where noted are in English measures. One stack of 12 weights weighs 7,589.7 grains, which equals 1.084243 pounds or .491804 kg. It seems obvious Lego was shooting for a total of 1 kg counterbalance in the weight kit's counterbalance stack.

I looked at the possibility of casting the weights in pewter, both as individual units and as a stack of 12. Obviously, doing 2 stacks would be quicker than 24 individual units, but doing individual units would provide much more flexibility. Then I looked into the cost of pewter. Ouch!!! 1 pound of pewter is $28 at today's price. I've not done volume analysis on the individual pieces but my brain is saying casting them out of pewter will be expensive and that doesn't include the cost of the mold material. I could do lead, as I already have several pounds in my possession, however lead would require better (read more expensive) molds. Realistically, weights of similar design to the Lego units made of lead would, if a similar sized stack was used, be a bit much and overtax the structure. 

Buying additional pieces at the price quoted in my previous post would result in an expenditure of $114.72 (US) for 24 additional pieces, not counting shipping or additional tax.

Some of the possibilities I have considered: Machining new counterweights out of steel, aluminum or other materials. I have a machinist background and access to a mill, so this is a possibility. A block of steel the same size as a stack of 12 Lego weights would weigh considerably more. Aluminum would weigh closer to the Lego units, so would likely need weight added with lead or steel inserts. The same would apply to most other materials including wood or plastic/nylon blocks. Machining individual weights would be too involved, at least for me. Casting resin with or without weight added is another possibility, though matching color would be an issue if one wishes to use them with the original blocks. Resin may be an attractive alternative if casting stacks of multiple blocks, say 3 or 4. To clarify, making a mold of a 3 or 4 block stack and casting it as one unit. That would still maintain some flexibility in making stacks while reducing the number of castings needed to be made. In other words, 3 casting of a 4 stack pile would result in a stack appearing to contain 12 individual pieces even though it actually only contains 3 parts. I hope that makes sense and people can grasp what I am saying.

A possibility I am seriously considering is taking a stack of some of the weights and either machining a pocket into them or drilling holes in them to add additional weight. With the top and bottom blocks in place, you would never see the modified blocks. Yes, I know many look at this as sacrilegious, but I'm trying to explore all possible resolutions.

Or I could just say "screw it" and leave it as is. LOL

Edited by Lego Tom

5 hours ago, Lego Tom said:

I have been doing some numbers on the counterbalance. Sorry, all numbers except where noted are in English measures. One stack of 12 weights weighs 7,589.7 grains, which equals 1.084243 pounds or .491804 kg. It seems obvious Lego was shooting for a total of 1 kg counterbalance in the weight kit's counterbalance stack.

I looked at the possibility of casting the weights in pewter, both as individual units and as a stack of 12. Obviously, doing 2 stacks would be quicker than 24 individual units, but doing individual units would provide much more flexibility. Then I looked into the cost of pewter. Ouch!!! 1 pound of pewter is $28 at today's price. I've not done volume analysis on the individual pieces but my brain is saying casting them out of pewter will be expensive and that doesn't include the cost of the mold material. I could do lead, as I already have several pounds in my possession, however lead would require better (read more expensive) molds. Realistically, weights of similar design to the Lego units made of lead would, if a similar sized stack was used, be a bit much and overtax the structure. 

Buying additional pieces at the price quoted in my previous post would result in an expenditure of $114.72 (US) for 24 additional pieces, not counting shipping or additional tax.

Some of the possibilities I have considered: Machining new counterweights out of steel, aluminum or other materials. I have a machinist background and access to a mill, so this is a possibility. A block of steel the same size as a stack of 12 Lego weights would weigh considerably more. Aluminum would weigh closer to the Lego units, so would likely need weight added with lead or steel inserts. The same would apply to most other materials including wood or plastic/nylon blocks. Machining individual weights would be too involved, at least for me. Casting resin with or without weight added is another possibility, though matching color would be an issue if one wishes to use them with the original blocks. Resin may be an attractive alternative if casting stacks of multiple blocks, say 3 or 4. To clarify, making a mold of a 3 or 4 block stack and casting it as one unit. That would still maintain some flexibility in making stacks while reducing the number of castings needed to be made. In other words, 3 casting of a 4 stack pile would result in a stack appearing to contain 12 individual pieces even though it actually only contains 3 parts. I hope that makes sense and people can grasp what I am saying.

A possibility I am seriously considering is taking a stack of some of the weights and either machining a pocket into them or drilling holes in them to add additional weight. With the top and bottom blocks in place, you would never see the modified blocks. Yes, I know many look at this as sacrilegious, but I'm trying to explore all possible resolutions.

Or I could just say "screw it" and leave it as is. LOL

Yep, pewter or other tin-based alloys get really expensive fast if you just want pieces which weigh a lot. Lead would be cheaper but with its toxicity and the molding costs I don't think it's worth it. Aluminium can also be cast and it's relatively cheap, though the molding cost could be an issue. If you're going to do machining, there's no point in aluminium as steel is much heavier and thus saves you a lot of pieces to machine. Casting some sort of resin with lead shot or ball bearings inside could make for a nice, heavy piece, but I'm not sure if there would be shrinkage issues. The resin could probably be dyed or obtained in grey colour. There's also concrete which can be cast with enough precision and it could be similarly be mixed with ball bearings or whatever for heavier pieces.

Personally I would probably just make a box out of bricks and fill it with nuts and bolts or something.

On 8/11/2023 at 2:37 PM, nerdsforprez said:

As a HUGE crane fan I was ready to buy this set.  Even several.  I love building cranes that much.

And that is perfect!!! It does not get any better! Build cranes and feel good! Here is to feeling good :pir-huzzah2:

My cynicism is not hitting on folks loving cranes, trains, LEGO in general - it is always about big brother over in Billund and what they do price-wise - and the total and utter loss of not looking at revenue. Which is fine in the world we all live in - and that world is what it is because we decided to let it become what it is. I am also living in this world and do my share.

Being cynical is always the easiest way "out", and I know that - so please do not take anything personal I post in forums, where all I can do is simply admire what folks like you and others accomplish. A total different league. I just crash in here - they merged Mindstorms with Technic - so I "need" to be here. And I am enjoying it.

All the best,
Thorsten

13 hours ago, Toastie said:

My cynicism is not hitting on folks loving cranes, trains, LEGO in general - it is always about big brother over in Billund and what they do price-wise - and the total and utter loss of not looking at revenue.

What is happening with LEGO is not unique and is happening in all "collectables" and similar products. Highly recognizable brands have started to cater to the people of this world that has "too much money". In many hobbies people are used to be able to buy any product a company puts out. This is no longer the case and I believe the amount of products in the price bracket above what regular working class people can afford will only increase.

Just now, zoo said:

What is happening with LEGO is not unique and is happening in all "collectables" and similar products. Highly recognizable brands have started to cater to the people of this world that has "too much money". In many hobbies people are used to be able to buy any product a company puts out. This is no longer the case and I believe the amount of products in the price bracket above what regular working class people can afford will only increase.

This of course speaks of a larger trend where more and more people have enough wealth that they can buy basically anything on a whim in this category of products (toys, collectibles, etc.) and corporations have noticed this, leading to releases of more and more expensive products. When I was a kid I was squarely in the middle class and nobody I knew had wealthy enough family that they could've had any Lego set they wanted. While as an adult I'm still middle-class, I could buy my kid any Lego they wished for and same for myself - they are not that expensive, except when they are such as the Liebherr crane. It's not above what I could afford if I really wanted, but it's something I have to think about and at the moment I've concluded that I won't be getting it - too expensive for what I'd get. For less expensive sets such as the 42128 or 42145 I didn't have to think twice, I just bought them as soon as they were available. Same goes for most people I know, though I also recognize that some of them are less fortunate and have to think carefully about any excess or luxury, while I also know people that are significantly better off than me, who can buy a new car without thinking it twice. It's just that nowdays more people are well off enough that things such as Lego are no longer a major purchase than there were in my childhood.

10 hours ago, zoo said:

What is happening with LEGO is not unique and is happening in all "collectables" and similar products.

10 hours ago, howitzer said:

This of course speaks of a larger trend where more and more people have enough wealth that they can buy basically anything on a whim in this category of products (toys, collectibles, etc.) and corporations have noticed this

I totally agree and there is >nothing< wrong with that in the rich folks world. Nothing.

The thing (for me) is, that TLG still pushes this "we care, we're educational, we are producing valuable toys, this is all about imagination, learning" and so on and so forth. (Just visit any of their websites, and it literally pours out). To me, TLG was like that, back in the days, as far as I remember (I am 60+ years old and since turning 3, I had a very modest amount of bricks, which grew into a modest amount of bricks over 12 years).

And after about 40+ years, I can also afford all of their products. But I entirely lost interest in all that "new" money making stuff. There was "the RCX", and as I have learned from folks like @alexGS, @evank, @BatteryPoweredBricks, and so many more here on EB, there was a world of minds before the storm. The original Mindstorms series had it for me, as well as many Technic sets of that time. To me, it was educational. And semi-affordable. Expensive, but there were these annual Christmas and Birthday days ... where the entire family chipped in for a big one.

Wandering into the forgotten worlds of LEGO - no replies from them. Zill. They are busy on making the big money. As said, I can totally live with that. It is what it is. 

TLG being educational? Inspirational? Not for me anymore. I am off to thrift stores, talking to people, paying (much) more than they are asking for. Because I can afford it. And these folks are inspirational.

Well, I need to log off and research on @evank's challenge. Got my Atari ST talking to 9750 today ... I hope to find this key - Ready Player One ... Evank's challenge is a true LEGO adventure game - for me :pir-wink:

Best,
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie