19 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

Don't have compare with big red?

I am interested too so just made a quick draft. It is not as sophisticated size comparison as the one from Reddit but for a reference it should work:

Snipaste-2023-07-11-10-51-36.png

Edited by Oh_Hi_Mao

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I'd rather spend two 700 dollars on two new sealed Big Reds than this set.

Or:

2 x 42160, a 42158, a 42157 and a 42161 for the same money.

Then you have same amount of electronics and 2375 pieces more.... :D

2 hours ago, Oh_Hi_Mao said:

Found this  size comparison on reddit legotechnic community:

Please do not show it to my wife :devil_laugh:

3 hours ago, Oh_Hi_Mao said:

Found this  size comparison on reddit legotechnic community:

*snip*

I've only built the BWE of all these, and all I remember was how huge it already felt, but bloody hell this crane seems to blow it right out the water...

I built a saturn V launch tower off rebrickable instructions. The thing is a meter and a half tall, and it really gets tricky to work on the entire thing. You end up having to move it to floor/side table/desk and sit down/stand up to get the bit you want to work on at a comfortable height.

On 7/7/2023 at 6:03 PM, R0Sch said:

Yes, I am down to 9.1g now with the recessed half beams. Looks much better too. But I didn't add the 2 ugly spue marks at the ends of the diagonal supports. ;)
Z5zqDt9.png

PH6fmJ9.pngx4ZjaWI.png

That is a good model of the part. I would be keen to print some, would you be able to share it?

Thanks

H

On 7/11/2023 at 5:09 AM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

According to Sariel the review of this set is coming this week, after the one for the Yamaha.

Then it must come tomorrow... 

I wonder what the price would be if it didn't have any powered up/control+, like if Lego were to release this set exactly the same as a bare version so that you can add your own if you already happen to have 2 hubs and 6 angled motors already in your collection, how much would it be then? Maybe £350/$400 with all the large pieces in it? Really that's the deal I'm looking for if it ever happens. I really want it but the control+/power up issues bother me to the point that I really don't want to pay any extra for that stuff. It's lack of physical remote is still not something I can get behind after years of trying to like using a touch screen, and it's dependance on a smart device means it'll probably not work in 10 years time, whereas my control center 1 and 2 sets will still be working just fine. No physical remote + no longevity on the control+/powered up system = no way I can convince myself to pay anywhere near full price, and I really tried as I miss not building the big technic flagship of the year, I skipped the last 2.

I never want to see a Technic set not sell well and make lots of money for TLG, but if it does fail, it's not because it was too big or too expensive. Lego have sold bigger and more expensive things and people love them and they sold very well, like the UCS millennium falcon or the Titanic. I think Technic has great potential for making these huge sets, but when I think of a Technic set that costs the big money, I can think of lots of things that would go well in the set wishes and speculation topic, something that can be passed down to the kids like old Lego. I don't think of something that will be obsolete and in the landfill in 10 or 20 years time, and I don't think of something that requires my phones touch screen to operate. Obsolete doesn't mean it's old, obsolete means no longer useful, in that regard I fear powered up will (probably soon) become obsolete while PF and 9V before that will never be obsolete because it still works and is still fun to play with. 

@allanp Fully agreed. I have bought 42043 (Arocs) and 42055 (BWE) and 42082 (RTC / big red), but skipped on 42100 (Liebherr R9800) and 42131 (Cat D11) -- for exactly the reasons you carefully outlined. 

It is interesting approach. I personally assume that LEGO wont discontinue control+ without leaving permanent alternative of how to use old control+ sets. If so, it could damage reputation of business badly. I don't know if it would be even legal in EU to do such thing (when an existing company won't provide support on their product which may lose its functionality). I personally own and enjoy control+ sets because I found them cool and interesting, if my kids won't be able to play with them (which I doubt), they will get other alternative. But at least their pops had a great memories himself. 

Edited by Oh_Hi_Mao

11 hours ago, allanp said:

whereas my control center 1 and 2 sets will still be working just fine. No physical remote + no longevity on the control+/powered up system = no way I can convince myself to pay anywhere near full price

I agree 100% to all you said. I am not a Technic person - love Technic though, love the studs, love playing with ABS they way TLG is molding it. Not only that, but I am even more so into "controlling" things with (simple) computers and some home-brew solutions. When the RCX came out in 1998, it got me into full TLG gear again, after almost 25 years of "pausing".

Two things I's like to add: The PoweredUp (Control+, all the same) stuff is expensive because TLG makes it expensive AND people are buying it. In the mass production sets, that is. The electronics inside PUp is next to dead cheap - nothing fancy at all. Oh, I can hear them: It was so expensive developing this technology, these devices, and what not. Sure it was, but so is developing other electronics as well - the PUp devices are simply so overpriced - it hurts. Even more so, when you open them up ... not the point: TLG gets not only away with it, they make a ton of money because we are buying that stuff. 

Yes, I also believe PUp/C+ will simply sink sooner or later - but this is what it is, in the real world. Your Control Centers are so much more in line with the philosophy of "living forever" - that is why I recently began to play with 4.5V Technic Control stuff from around 1985. Motivated by folks like @evank , @alexGS. 35+ years old and still working fine. Controlled by a PC from that time or with the help of dead cheap Arduinos and the like now, in 2023. 9V, PF the same, but the latter less so regarding the "autonomous control" world but rather the "remote control" world.

All the best,
Thorsten     

1 hour ago, Andman said:

Soon™

Haha. Perhaps LEGO don't have enough sets for a massive amount of pre orders after the reviews will come out. They are definitely buying some time here :pir-classic:

Sariel mentioned in the comment section of this Yamaha video that review will come at the end of the month. 

On 7/16/2023 at 6:25 AM, Toastie said:

Your Control Centers are so much more in line with the philosophy of "living forever" - that is why I recently began to play with 4.5V Technic Control stuff from around 1985. Motivated by folks like @evank , @alexGS. 35+ years old and still working fine.

Yes! I've handled a few dozen Interface A boxes since I discovered it in 2016, and almost all of them worked perfectly. Same for the power supplies and computer cards. Failures are rare and easy to fix.

13 hours ago, evank said:

I've handled a few dozen Interface A boxes since I discovered it in 2016

Sorry for the late reply - I instantly became unconscious, when reading a "few dozens" :pir-love:

Spoiler

But yes, I can see that: Almost unbreakable. I have only one Interface A, and I am in love with that beauty; it needed a little repair though, upon arrival: There is a tiny wavy copper trace that goes from the AC/DC jack to the discrete diode bridge rectifier - the schematic says "fuse?", and yes I believe it is a fuse:

800x963.JPG   

Easy fix though - and up and happy again!

Best
Thorsten

LOL ... They're really not that rare. You can always find some on Bricklink or eBay for a reasonable price. They are always advertised as-is / untested, but as I said, they almost always work fine. Also there's a schematic on my website if anybody wants to try building one! https://brickhacks.com/9750.php

This must be the latest reviewed set ever in technic history... one week to the release and still nothing....?

Edited by Jundis

25 minutes ago, Jundis said:

This must be the latest reviewed set ever in technics history... one week to the release and still nothing....?

technics

me
seizure-triggered.gif