Ngoc Nguyen

42145 - Airbus H175 Rescue Helicopter

2 hours ago, pleegwat said:

But the rotor rotation doesn't have a reverse mode. It has a slow and a fast mode in the same direction.

Yes, you could still have that, or you could make it a drive/reverse selector instead, but I am removing the stopper so that the battery box can be put into forward/off/reverse anyhow.

In my previous reply I meant "add an extra function that uses a 4th clutch ring and gears"

The 42113 set has 4 drive rings, 4 fully independant motorized functions, but one of the drive rings has no reverse as its blocked off.

What I don't understand though is why the lego designer(s) did not just make the 5 sided star beam move up and donw for the collective pitch and have the other lower hub pivot in 2 axis, but not move up and down for the cyclic pitch adjustment.

heck if the new hub had more connection points then that in itself could hold the blades, do cyclic, and do collective pitch. (with some connectors to pivot the blades)

Edited by SNIPE

15 hours ago, steph77 said:

Not 100% sure actually, but this mechanics seems a bit wobly, no?

Exept this they use a system i experimented years ago with a mixing unit right above the links to the swashplate.

I made use of it on my first huey.

Curious to see more of it.

I will now wait for reviews and some closeups before purchasing.

My reaction is the same: the "scissor link" to keep the swash plate locked to the rotor is basically a key slot that slides on the link arm and still allows the plate to tilt. This is not optimal.

Same, it seems, for the rest of the linkages.

I will wait and see.

19 hours ago, SNIPE said:

WOW!.

The spinny thing (that uses part 3708) for the winch is actually a friction clutch using two 3L beams, and a 2L friction pin with bush.

The bubble under the blades slides open in two halves and it has a locking mechanism (the thin 2L gray liftarms).

The rear levers move in one axis and are also connected to a lever that is outside of the cabin.

The front levers do not, but this is because they move in two axes.

The part that connects the ball-pins and 6L links has a bottom part too, it is a new piece in black and it holds ball-pins that are connected to some steering arms.

Screenshot-20220704-052322-Firefox.jpg

No fake engine but thats ok :classic:.

Thanks for posting the video and for your analysis. Closest view I've had of the swashplate mechanism.

Edited by technicfanatic

On 7/3/2022 at 3:55 PM, kbalage said:

I don't think the department preparing the boxes has any idea about the new lids with the screws being introduced. They simply put on it whatever then find in their product library with the PU battery box name. 

In the bottom left hand picture showing winch and wheel functions on the box art and in the video you can see that the battery box is the original slip in type. 

I don't know why TLG keep use 6L ball link. If they make shorter link like 5L or 4L it will make rotor assembly more low and can use in tons of other thing.

2 hours ago, msk6003 said:

I don't know why TLG keep use 6L ball link. If they make shorter link like 5L or 4L it will make rotor assembly more low and can use in tons of other thing.

I was also hoping for 4L steering arm; some my projects with reduction hubs went down the drain because of not having short enough steering arm

3 hours ago, Richombx said:

In the bottom left hand picture showing winch and wheel functions on the box art and in the video you can see that the battery box is the original slip in type. 

As I said the marketing department probably produced these pictures when they only had the first gen battery boxes around, so they used whatever they had. On the other hand believe me, they really don't care.

Remember the promo photos of the Zetros published a year ago? They included the battery box with screws, probably because it was already available in their photo library, and they had zero idea when it will go in production. And when we asked about it then the photos disappeared from the press package and we got a laughable answer, saying "oh it was a mistake, what you saw does not exist at all" :laugh:

5 hours ago, msk6003 said:

If they make shorter link like 5L or 4L it will make rotor assembly more low and can use in tons of other thing.

2 hours ago, 1gor said:

I was also hoping for 4L steering arm; some my projects with reduction hubs went down the drain because of not having short enough steering arm

Exactly this, I had some similar failed builds, and also some needing a 7L link. It's kind of a shame why such a useful part is not produced in more lengths. Even the existing 9L is not so usable as the 6L because it is not double sided (it would be timely to update that mould to make it double sided).

About the heli, the mechanism itself is looking quite interesting, it's great how much can be done with the right parts, curious about the reviews.

7 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

Exactly this, I had some similar failed builds, and also some needing a 7L link. It's kind of a shame why such a useful part is not produced in more lengths. Even the existing 9L is not so usable as the 6L because it is not double sided (it would be timely to update that mould to make it double sided).

About the heli, the mechanism itself is looking quite interesting, it's great how much can be done with the right parts, curious about the reviews.

To me it is not a problem to "make steering arm longer"; my constant problem is that my MOCs are to wide...so I would really prefer to have 2 studs shorter arms (made from this part); just to be cut where are two ½ pin holes and have only axle holes at the end

... ladies and gentlemen sorry for off topic...

16 hours ago, SNIPE said:

What I don't understand though is why the lego designer(s) did not just make the 5 sided star beam move up and donw for the collective pitch and have the other lower hub pivot in 2 axis, but not move up and down for the cyclic pitch adjustment.

heck if the new hub had more connection points then that in itself could hold the blades, do cyclic, and do collective pitch. (with some connectors to pivot the blades)

moving the rotor hub up and down instead of the swash plate wouldn’t be realistic and would probably be more complicated and less sturdy.  I’m not sure why you’d want the hub to move up and down, but maybe I’m miss understanding.  

Im not sure I follow that last sentence, but LEGO has modeled the rotor and swash plate very similar to how a real helicopter works, and I’m not sure there’s really any other way around it.  Helicopter rotor heads are really complex and have a lot of different movements.  

Im thrilled that LEGO has managed to build a helicopter with working collective and cyclic.  It’s definitely a set I’ll be buying!

1 hour ago, dhc6twinotter said:

It was only a matter of time before we heard your thoughts on the subject! :laugh:

I'd be thrilled with this set as well - if I were just into helicopters, which sadly I am not. Also the 'no B-model' thing is continuing to grate. But it's definitely a step forward for the aircraft people. :thumbup:

2 hours ago, dhc6twinotter said:

moving the rotor hub up and down instead of the swash plate wouldn’t be realistic and would probably be more complicated and less sturdy.  I’m not sure why you’d want the hub to move up and down, but maybe I’m miss understanding.  
Im not sure I follow that last sentence, but LEGO has modeled the rotor and swash plate very similar to how a real helicopter works, and I’m not sure there’s really any other way around it.  Helicopter rotor heads are really complex and have a lot of different movements.

Never mind, I wasn't thinking clearly, I see why it is how it is now.

Edited by SNIPE

Has anybody seen inside the Heli there is a vertically connected red axle which has its bottom almost 1.5 stud area open. Seemed a bit interesting to me. 

Oh yeah baby! Thrilled to see it in action and I love that you can slide open the top to see the mechanics. 

I wouldn't say I'm "into" helicopters any more or less than any other kind of vehicle. What I'm into is miniature working versions of the real thing. It's not a toy helicopter, it's a real helicopter only smaller that I built myself, or as close to that as is reasonably possible. This is easily the closest helicopter they have come to "build for real" they have ever made and for me, that makes it the best helicopter they have ever made and an instant purchase. Could they get closer to a real helicopter? Sure they could, but for now this is the best heli yet.

But is it an 8480 beater? Now 8480 is an all time legend so the bar to reach is much higher and I mean....with this new helicopter there's still all that colour coding that 8480 didn't have anywhere near as much of, and the tail prop doesn't have working pitch control, and the proportions are quite off....

but.....

Whilst it may not be totally fair to compare two sets from two completely different eras, the Arocs did prove 8868 was beatable and now I think 8480 is no longer the undisputed king of flying vehicles. 8480 is still a legend, but it feels so good that the best Technic flying vehicle ever is no longer in the past but the very near future. I just really hope it sells well.

14 hours ago, msk6003 said:

I am not a big fan of specific parts... of course I would have been preffer shorter links than that plate but I also want to know what we can do with that part plus than helicopters.

1 hour ago, jorgeopesi said:

I am not a big fan of specific parts... of course I would have been preffer shorter links than that plate but I also want to know what we can do with that part plus than helicopters.

I don't think shorter links would be any more specific part than various lengths of liftarms or axles are. Links are perhaps not as universally useful, but they are still very useful for many applications and having them in more lengths would enable much easier construction in many cases. I think the ball joint-connection is pretty underused way of attaching parts, especially in Technic, and adding few more links and pin with a ball socket would expand the opportunities here enormously.

4 hours ago, allanp said:

Oh yeah baby! Thrilled to see it in action and I love that you can slide open the top to see the mechanics. 

I wouldn't say I'm "into" helicopters any more or less than any other kind of vehicle. What I'm into is miniature working versions of the real thing. It's not a toy helicopter, it's a real helicopter only smaller that I built myself, or as close to that as is reasonably possible. This is easily the closest helicopter they have come to "build for real" they have ever made and for me, that makes it the best helicopter they have ever made and an instant purchase. Could they get closer to a real helicopter? Sure they could, but for now this is the best heli yet.

But is it an 8480 beater? Now 8480 is an all time legend so the bar to reach is much higher and I mean....with this new helicopter there's still all that colour coding that 8480 didn't have anywhere near as much of, and the tail prop doesn't have working pitch control, and the proportions are quite off....

but.....

Whilst it may not be totally fair to compare two sets from two completely different eras, the Arocs did prove 8868 was beatable and now I think 8480 is no longer the undisputed king of flying vehicles. 8480 is still a legend, but it feels so good that the best Technic flying vehicle ever is no longer in the past but the very near future. I just really hope it sells well.

I agree on all this.  The comparison with 8480 definitely feels appropriate, which is not something I would say lightly!

I too hope it sells well.  I have been concerned that the theme is evolving into something different, with all the complexity being pushed into the app.  I can understand the motivation for that, but this wholehearted return of mechanical wizardry is very welcome indeed.  Let's hope that message gets back to TLG.

8 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

Don't need many length like liftarm or axle. just need only 2~3 more. Like 5L and 4L.

Old suspension arm is 6L but newer arm introduced in 42021 snowmobile is 5L. You can build using 5L arm with 6L link but it is little uncomfortable. This is why need 5L link more than other length.

On 7/5/2022 at 4:04 PM, kbalage said:

As I said the marketing department probably produced these pictures when they only had the first gen battery boxes around, so they used whatever they had. On the other hand believe me, they really don't care.

Remember the promo photos of the Zetros published a year ago? They included the battery box with screws, probably because it was already available in their photo library, and they had zero idea when it will go in production. And when we asked about it then the photos disappeared from the press package and we got a laughable answer, saying "oh it was a mistake, what you saw does not exist at all" :laugh:

I guess by now you would have your review kit and know the real answer anyway. Looking forward to watching it soon.

3 hours ago, Richombx said:

I guess by now you would have your review kit and know the real answer anyway. Looking forward to watching it soon.

Hopefully you don't have to wait much to see all the details ;)

That promotional video is really awesome and the turntable-ish swash plate seems like a useful part for other creations as well. This set is the true Technic flagship set of this year. Since we know that Milan did not design it and we did not see one of Markus's sets this year, I bet MK is behind it. His second chance to shine after the Osprey didn't make it. Even the box artwork is the same. Let's just hope the gears and clutches were properly tested this time.
Imagine hooking this helicopter up with the old Control Center II + a stand and program all the functions and let it do it's magic on it's own. :wub:

4 hours ago, R0Sch said:

That promotional video is really awesome and the turntable-ish swash plate seems like a useful part for other creations as well. This set is the true Technic flagship set of this year. Since we know that Milan did not design it and we did not see one of Markus's sets this year, I bet MK is behind it. His second chance to shine after the Osprey didn't make it. Even the box artwork is the same. Let's just hope the gears and clutches were properly tested this time.
Imagine hooking this helicopter up with the old Control Center II + a stand and program all the functions and let it do it's magic on it's own. :wub:

I was actually watching Unbrickme's 'top 10 technic helicopters' video and since the control centre II was on there, I also had the idea of making a test rig for it, so that it "appears" to fly on its own. So I may do just that however a piece of transparent fishing line tied to a ceiling would look more realistic,

Also, speaking of turntables, I figured out how the blades axle moves (it is a liftarm being used as an axle). it is still attached to a mini turntable as I predicted however the turntable  is not attached to the floor, because they needed to leave cargo space behind the sliding doors, so instead, they put the mini turntable on a second platform that is above the cargo bay. This locks the beam into the platform unlike say putting 4 connectors on a normal 28/36 tooth and attaching the beam that way.

The beam can still pivot left and right when attached to a turntable but they seem to have fixed that externally as well.

Edited by SNIPE

On 7/7/2022 at 9:54 PM, R0Sch said:

Since we know that Milan did not design it and we did not see one of Markus's sets this year, I bet MK is behind it

I think Markus is still busy with the Liebherr crane 😉

On 7/4/2022 at 12:33 PM, pleegwat said:

But the rotor rotation doesn't have a reverse mode. It has a slow and a fast mode in the same direction.

Doesn't it reverse when you slide the power switch the other way? I always hated it did that on the last motorized helicopter, because the winch changed direction too, I found it a bit confusing at times, lol. Hopefully this time the switch is blocked.

Nevermind, I was a page behind.

Edited by Johnny1360

Maybe there's a one way drive mechanism, which would both prevent driving in reverse and prevent gears cracking from the momentum of the blades spinning when you turn it off.