1 hour ago, williamyzfr1 said:

You only have to look at the McLaren F1 car which perfectly highlights their lack of supposed collaboration, resulting in a rehashed model in new box pictures, with new model stickers and new instructions to encompass the sticker changes. 

What McLaren F1 car;… that’s not been in stores here, or online, since it came along ?…

I had it on my list, but I’ve waited long enough now. Not a priority anymore…

I think the car looks great as I expected another car like the Sian, and that’s what was created. I agree that it could be a lot better with cooler functions, but LEGO targets adults looking for office décor rather than people whose main hobby is building LEGO. I feel like they are making a fair compromise by introducing a ton of new and useful parts for people who like functional models while creating a good-looking model that fits the bill as a display piece.

$400 is a bit much and I think everyone can agree that it is quite expensive. I’m excited to get all the new parts (in three months :pir-hmpf_bad:) to use for MOC building.

Looks great, especially the no stickers.

I can understand the criticism of no real function development, but intrinsically these are meant to be bluechip mostly static models. As a real world hybrid, I'm not sure just having some empty grey boxes as motors and lots of orange wiring would add much? If they put real motors in it, the cost would just go even further up.

I'm still yet to build my Sian (painting house..) so I'll wait for a Legostore or other discount to bring is down from inflated Aus pricing. My money is needed for Optimus Prime anyway!

Why the new gears in this set? Is it a tease that we might be getting something with a lot more power in the near future maybe?

55 minutes ago, MangaNOID said:

Why the new gears in this set? Is it a tease that we might be getting something with a lot more power in the near future maybe?

I can (almost) guarentee it, yes.

6 hours ago, howitzer said:

I don't thing it's not about the set being worth more, I believe it's about inflation becoming visible in the consumer prices. Had they been swapped (Ferrari released in 2020 and Sian now) the prices would probably be swapped too.

---

Maybe inflation has a bit to do with it...

But if I take the regional pricing for the SP3 and do quick google convert to current AUD

$400 usd = $562 aud

$350 pounds = $616 aud

$400 euro = $602 aud

$500 cad = $548 aud

Then Australia store = $660

The prices are all over the price and it would appear we are getting ripped off down here...

12 minutes ago, langko said:

But if I take the regional pricing for the SP3 and do quick google convert to current AUD

$400 usd = $562 aud

$350 pounds = $616 aud

$400 euro = $602 aud

$500 cad = $548 aud

The prices are all over the price and it would appear we are getting ripped off down here...

The USD and CAD prices are excluding sales tax (but your point still stands)

7 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Agreed, and I think many think this way as well.  Errors are no biggie since they are easily fixable.  

But I am curious about what folks think this may say about the approach TLG takes to developing these cars.  I am not so much concerned about the errors as I am about what I think it SAYS about the company.  For me, and I get it this perhaps is reading too much into things, but I think it tells alot about their approach to building and selling these products.  Money! Money! Money!  It gives the appearance of being rushed, non-committal to quality control, and overall unconcerned about company reputation and consumer skill and/or awareness.   Also, I really think the errors beg the question, what costs more, or takes more time for these UCS cars, the development (build complexity, quality control, etc.) or the marketing?  Seriously, that is an honest question.  It seems there is tons of resources dumped into marketing these cars... couldn't just a small fraction of the marketing budget be used for quality control?   I don't get it.   

Personally, for me my opinion for TLG keeps falling and falling.  I am unsure they continue the mantra of "only the best is good enough" - and at least for me the door opens further and further to competitors.  

You're not wrong here. Something is amiss in the quality control department of TLG. These are the kinds of mistakes that shouldn't pass even the most basic QC.

1 hour ago, langko said:

$400 usd = $562 aud

$350 pounds = $616 aud

$400 euro = $602 aud

$500 cad = $548 aud

Yeah, the regional pricing is all over the place as always. Though I wonder what were the prices of Sian in 2020, were aussies ripped off there too or was its price more in line with the rest of the world?

1 hour ago, langko said:

$400 usd = $562 aud

$350 pounds = $616 aud

$400 euro = $602 aud

$500 cad = $548 aud

Haha, no better for your neighbours down under in New Zealand - $679.99. Although both the Bugatti and Lamborghini were $649.00 when released.

I’ll be waiting until they start discounting them here, hopefully by then I will have collected enough parts to replace the colour vomit. 

Edited by LegoHoops

2 hours ago, Big Adam said:

The USD and CAD prices are excluding sales tax (but your point still stands)

Cheers for pointing that out, I thought that was too good to be true! Even still, using the CAD example you’d have to pay $600CAD to = the AUD amount... I’m admittedly ignorant to how the sales tax works but surely it’s not 20%? 

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

Yeah, the regional pricing is all over the place as always. Though I wonder what were the prices of Sian in 2020, were aussies ripped off there too or was its price more in line with the rest of the world?

Well going by this: https://jaysbrickblog.com/news/lego-technic-42115-lamborghini-sian-fkp-37-is-legos-next-drool-inducing-supercar/

We definitely won’t getting ripped off comparatively, I’d almost say we were getting the better end of the deal haha. But it doesn’t make sense when the Sian and SP3 are both 350 pounds but like I mentioned earlier the the SP3 is $90 extra here.

1 hour ago, LegoHoops said:

Haha, no better for your neighbours down under in New Zealand - $679.99. Although both the Bugatti and Lamborghini were $649.00 when released.

I’ll be waiting until they start discounting them here, hopefully by then I will have collected enough parts to replace the colour vomit. 

Haha yeah you unfortunately seem to always get the bad end of the deal too. 
Amazon have LEGO at up to 30% off or even more at times over here, I tend to buy stuff at that point. 
There’s lots of colour vomit everywhere in this model... I’d say it looks to be the worst we’ve got so far.

I believe the colour vomit issue is due to the set being marketed mainly at casual builders - people who have only done few or none Technic sets before and are not that experienced or knowledgeable in Technic building. At least the designers at TLG seem to believe that the colour vomit helps to build correctly, and considering the scale and complexity of the build, it's important that the builder gets it right.

For us who care about the looks of the insides too in addition to having better building skills, the vomit is of course unnecessary eyesore, but TLG probably knows where their money lies and sadly it's not us hardcore AFOLs. But I guess one can just replace the oddly coloured chassis parts with LBG/DBG/black ones.

57 minutes ago, howitzer said:

I believe the colour vomit issue is due to the set being marketed mainly at casual builders - people who have only done few or none Technic sets before and are not that experienced or knowledgeable in Technic building. At least the designers at TLG seem to believe that the colour vomit helps to build correctly, and considering the scale and complexity of the build, it's important that the builder gets it right.

I don't think the "designers believe it" only. Having different colors to identify the different parts and sections of the build actually helps, it is not rocket science to understand why. I know some hardcore AFOLs don't want to accept that, but TLG produces sets for the the average consumers. I've built sets from other brands designed by AFOLs with a monochromatic interior, and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I also asked casual builders to test it and they simply hated it. 

7 minutes ago, kbalage said:

I don't think the "designers believe it" only. Having different colors to identify the different parts and sections of the build actually helps, it is not rocket science to understand why. I know some hardcore AFOLs don't want to accept that, but TLG produces sets for the the average consumers. I've built sets from other brands designed by AFOLs with a monochromatic interior, and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I also asked casual builders to test it and they simply hated it. 

As a MOC designer that has a complete monochromatic building style, I believe it is necessary if you want the most realistic and eye pleasing model possible. But I 100% agree that it would be major hinderence for instruction clarity and for other people to build. I support some colour coding but I do believe it’s starting to get over the top. Given the amount of people that stuff up the diffs on AWD models I sometimes wonder how much it actually helps... If the builder is not paying attention they’ll stuff it up anyway. But at the end of the day all the colour coding means nothing if LEGO stuff up the instructions :snicker:

@langko I bet that the direct price comparision does not include the shipping tax which we know is really expensive nowadays. If you would buy the set in Europe only for the shipping you would pay more, am I wrong?

6 hours ago, langko said:

$400 usd = $562 aud

$350 pounds = $616 aud

$400 euro = $602 aud

$500 cad = $548 aud

Mate..... of course we are being ripped off... here's the stupid thing. I can buy the 4x4 merc of zarvi for $352NZD delivered yet shops in nz the cheapest is $500.... so go figure 

Is it technic though... its a display model, its got half a foot in the technic camp and half in the diecast camp. Give me a BWE any day of the week, or the Cat bulldozer. Proper technic sets right there.

3 hours ago, blondasek said:

@langko I bet that the direct price comparision does not include the shipping tax which we know is really expensive nowadays. If you would buy the set in Europe only for the shipping you would pay more, am I wrong?

True, whether or not that adds $90 or not though. More than likely the answer is a mix of everything mentioned so far: inflation, shipping costs and plain bad luck haha. Anyway, enough of me complaining about the price. I look forward to seeing what type of mods people come up with for this model, this has plenty of potential in that regard.

Happy to say this is one for me, and I will probably go with the book as well if I can catch it.

I am personally split regarding the gearbox. Yes a new design would be nice to see, but in real life gearboxes don't greatly change between manufacturers (Massive over simplifications of their designs I know, but Technic comes with certain design limitations). However I have seen other designs in MOC's I own too, so as I said conflicted on it. *huh*

The 'mistakes' in the instructions are a shame to see, but hopefully they look like easy fixes now that they are known about.

Now no-one stealing my order on the 1st right??? :laugh:

Ian...

3 hours ago, kbalage said:

2 hours ago, langko said:

As a MOC designer that has a complete monochromatic building style, I believe it is necessary if you want the most realistic and eye pleasing model possible. But I 100% agree that it would be major hinderence for instruction clarity and for other people to build. I support some colour coding but I do believe it’s starting to get over the top. Given the amount of people that stuff up the diffs on AWD models I sometimes wonder how much it actually helps... If the builder is not paying attention they’ll stuff it up anyway. But at the end of the day all the colour coding means nothing if LEGO stuff up the instructions :snicker:

I guess wanting everything monochrome and calling even the slightest color "color vomit" is as much over the top as "including every color we can find". Do the 2L beams realy have to be in lime? Do you realy need those 2L double pinhole things in blue? :D The bodywork is very good so doesn't matter much I guess. But I have to admit, that there are more homogeneous colored sets available like the CAT, and I wonder if they wanted this set to be especially easy if possible since some parts seem to be tricky for beginners anyway.

1 hour ago, Gimmick said:

I guess wanting everything monochrome and calling even the slightest color "color vomit" is as much over the top as "including every color we can find". Do the 2L beams realy have to be in lime? Do you realy need those 2L double pinhole things in blue? :D The bodywork is very good so doesn't matter much I guess. But I have to admit, that there are more homogeneous colored sets available like the CAT, and I wonder if they wanted this set to be especially easy if possible since some parts seem to be tricky for beginners anyway.

You might be on to something here. These supercars appeal to much wider audience than the CAT, which requires TLG to pay special attention to the customers who just might come back if their building experience is pleasant, but who'll turn away to never buy anything again if they make a mistake and the thing won't work as expected. Sure it's their mistake of not following instructions, but people tend to want to place blame anywhere but onto themselves. And while it's impossible to have nobody making mistakes, the amount of dissatisfied customers can be minimized. At some point of course it becomes too much, though personally I don't care that much if the interior is colour vomit or not, as long as the finished thing looks nice. As for the CAT, the buyers are probably much more experienced than Ferrari buyers, so they (usually) can follow instructions and also know better than to complain at TLG if they make a mistake.

But as someone said, none of the above matters if the instructions themselves have critical errors...

9 minutes ago, howitzer said:

But as someone said, none of the above matters if the instructions themselves have critical errors...

the mistakes are hardly critical though. The gearbox issue will never be noticed by casual builders and the 2 diffuser panels are an easy fix if even noticed. Those mistakes would still exist even if TLG went down the road of a single colour interior so i dont see the point of conflating the two topics. Anyone wanting to display the opened chassis will more than likely have the parts needed in black/grey to make the swaps.

5 hours ago, kbalage said:

I don't think anyone is asking for a completely monochromatic/all black colour scheme. That's misrepresenting the argument into one that's easier to defeat. But why do the colours have to be so bright and goofy looking? Surely there's a far more tasteful colour palette available, like black, dark grey, light grey, tan, metallic dark grey (for special pieces like the wave selector), the main set colour and so on, instead of bright red, bright blue, bright yellow, purple and and so on. We know building mistakes still happen even with the goofy colours, could it be possible that a brightly coloured piece doesn't stand out in a jumbled mess of brightly coloured pieces?! And what if there was a better way, like having the bag numbers go much higher. Building technic sets it's hard to find that brightly coloured piece in a large pile of brightly coloured pieces so colour vomit doesn't help me there either. It doesn't matter it if illuminated, I still won't see it under a pile of other illuminated pieces. However the 89 batmobile with it's all black exterior goes up to bag numbers 24 and it was a way better building experience, while Technic sets with more pieces don't go anywhere near that high. And for gears you can mould the number of teeth into the gear and call it out in the instructions, for the wave selector you could mould an orientation arrow into it. For pneumatic hoses, instead of the three colours you could have something similar to those little wire ID sleeves, which come in many colours and also numbered, for a much more tasteful, removable and fool proof method of avoiding mistakes, or colour the ends of the hoses any number of different colours. And for gearboxes, make them simpler and much more true to life and all those different sized clutch gears will only physically fit together the right way, so you can't mess it up and it's much easier to understand and trouble shoot if you do mess it up, just to name a few examples of other options. Colour coding is fine but colour vomit as it is now....isn't even the best option (though it might be the cheapest), as well as destroys the feeling of "build for real". Am I wrong? Technic for me is about the internal mechanisms, so to me they might as well go full knex (never go full knex :laugh:) and colour code the outside panels as well! 

Edited by allanp

This is a request for those MOC magicians out there: please build a Testarossa out of this. (and other iconic Ferrari's)

I haven't be tempted to buy a Lego Technic set lately, but somehow this ugly beast is growing on me.

But there's no way I will buy it for € 400... Come on.

having read through the last 4 pages or so, I think my feeling with the set is summed up best as follows.

Nice set. Not Technic though.
(But oh well. The scale modeling forum is now here too, so let's just call it that.)

Gearbox, at first glance, seems to be the same as Sian's. But I don't own the Sian so I could be wrong. Doors are neat. No other interesting functions.

Best new part for me is the bigger rim. That opens some nice options.

New panels - fun, but not Technic.

What is Technic, but not fun, is introducing a new, totally incompatible new gear system. The only positive note about them is that 22 teeth is useful to create a 7 : 11 ratio. However, the gear has a round hole, so that's useless too. Now, what would be totally in the spirit of Lego as a building system, would be to introduce an inset piece with an axlehole that would fit in those 3 slots, and include it in the set to offer more options for the part. But of course, that's now how Lego works these days.

And as suggested, those geass are probably a hint of stuff to come. But to me, that doesn't bode well, because that would mean this "stuff to come" will be - again - bigger. And we know bigger is not the same as better. I'm sure AFOLs wil put the gears to great use, as with all new parts, but where is the time that official sets were as big as needed, but as small as possible, so as to be actually affordable? Fans of fun, complex, manual technical sets (that are not racing things) right now still have only two choices right now - the tow truck and the 42139 offroader.

EditL what I do like though, is how it doesn't use the default suspension arms.

Edit: 1x2 xo beams in blue! :D

Edited by Erik Leppen