MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1 hour ago, CodeNameGoldMember said:

Everyone here arguing about the face prints and I'm just over here sad that they no longer have cloth kamas and are sticking with the printed ones. Other than that I'm in absolute awe of the set. Everything I  expected it to be and more and with the rumored sets that seem to be tagging along with this, it definitely gives me hope that we might see something similar to future UCS sets as well.

I gave up on the kamas and backpacks, it's been forever. It sucks and is awful for an $800 set, but hey, at least they fit in the seats right or whatever. 

I do love the idea of ancillary UCS sets, it's a very nice concept.

Am I the only one who immediately replaces the human heads with a plain black head on empire troopers? I can”t stand the look of flesh from the back.

On 11/10/2021 at 9:52 AM, Kdapt-Preacher said:

(the same way they've always just kinda ignored the fact that the OT shows only white humans in the Rebellion, and almost exclusively men there too). 

I think it is unfair to say OT, at least ROTJ, showed rebellion exclusively white males, first of all in this scene we see that the very top of the rebellion is a female, Leia is very important in the rebellion, there are at least 4 alien species, several black and asian rebels, including a high ranking general Calrissian. There are some cutscenes from ROTJ that had female pilots too.

Guys. The OT was filmed in the 70s and 80s. During that time the American film industry was dominated by white, male actors. So yes, many groups shots of both the Rebels and the Empire include a majority of Caucasian men. This is not the place to debate why that was that way in the 70s and 80s. Star Wars has shown that it's a diverse universe. Lots of opportunity for variety in both human and alien species. What's shown on film is limited to what's available at the time of filming. I'm glad we're keeping it civil right now, but we need to move to a different discussion.

19 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

The Youtuber was wrong. The clone troopers were biologically in their 70s by the Battle of Hoth; there were still a handful of them around (Captain Rex, for example), but the 501st and every other Imperial Army unit had transitioned to human recruits decades earlier. I don't know whether you've seen The Bad Batch yet, but the switch from clone to human units is a major plot point there.

According to Star Wars Wiki, the 501st was fighting as snow troopers at the Battle of Hoth.

30 minutes ago, Something_Awesome said:

According to Star Wars Wiki, the 501st was fighting as snow troopers at the Battle of Hoth.

The 501st by the time of Hoth was made of human recruits just like the rest of the Empire. It's only in the old Legends canon that the 501st were clones.

Also from the Star Wars wiki: "The 501st was absorbed into the Imperial Military, becoming a legion of the Stormtrooper Corps which transitioned to the use of human recruits after the Empire suspended the cloning operation on Kamino."

20 hours ago, Something_Awesome said:

I think I understand the complaints now. I just learned from a Youtuber that, while the Stormtroopers were overwhelmingly non-clone, the snowtroopers under Vader at Hoth, which I think includes the snowtroopers under Veers' AT-AT, were actually all clones, also known as the 501st, also know as "Vader's Fist." The issue is then if accuracy was sacrificed for the sake of inclusion. Accuracy has primacy when it comes to these $800 UCS sets (or even the $200 ones like the Slave 1). Did LEGO deviate from that the line is set to do for the sake of inclusion? Probably. Though I am actually not  worried about it. Just expressing the gripes of others in hopefully better words.

This is all due to Battlefront 2005, which isn't canon anymore (and dubious before the legends/canon divide because of TCW). In current canon, while it is true that Blizzard Force was apart of the 501st, they were comprised almost entirely of human recruits by this point. 

While I understand some aspects of people bringing the movie accuracy regarding figures in a very premium set the question is: will you display snowtroopers without helmets? I bet most people won't (I sure won't) so it doesn't matter to me

You can observe this even in other media - SW games (Battlefront 2 and Star wars: Squadrons) have included female imperial fighters and pilots for example. SW and Disney have taken clear steps towards inclusivity and I personally really don't care as long as there's a good character development backing them up and the characters are interesting. Canon retcons are something else and I take a different stance there (I don't really care about what's being changed, a canon retcon is a canon retcon and this a slippery topic on its own) but to be honest I don't consider female soldiers being part of assault on Hoth a big or important story change. I don't care if a "faceless" army (e.g. stromtroopers, snowtroopers) who are supposed to keep their helmets on almost all the time have different gender prints. 

Long story short: I don't think it's a bad thing, I don't think it's an important thing and inclusivity mentality from Disney, SW and Lego is here to stay. You are welcome to disagree, everyone has their own opinion.

That's all from my side on this matter, please mods don't punish me too severely :classic: 

I do remember a bunch of questions on how they would stabilize the legs when this was rumored way back. They did a great job of coming up with a solution that makes it stable and gives a good ability to change poses. They really need some more congrats on that for sure!

Edited by karmajay

11 hours ago, Bolingbroke said:

Am I the only one who immediately replaces the human heads with a plain black head on empire troopers? I can”t stand the look of flesh from the back.

I was gonna say I didn't have enough plain black heads and that was why but then I remembered bricklink existed...I don't know why I haven't done this yet. I do like to keep the correct parts for more expensive sets in seperate bags if I remove them as part of mods though, so if I decide to sell them I've still got all the parts.

I'm wondering how early I'll need to get up and get to our local LEGO store to pick the AT-AT up on Black Friday. Anyone with any ideas? The store opens at 6 AM... maybe be there by 4 AM?! I think this set will be popular, and with the GWP there will be an initial rush like there as with the Falcon.

1 hour ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

I'm wondering how early I'll need to get up and get to our local LEGO store to pick the AT-AT up on Black Friday. Anyone with any ideas? The store opens at 6 AM... maybe be there by 4 AM?! I think this set will be popular, and with the GWP there will be an initial rush like there as with the Falcon.

You're so lucky, mine opens at 10am. You'd think that means I'd be able to get up later, but last year I was there before the mall it was in even opened, I'm talking like 7-8am, and there was already a huge line of guys in mythosaur t-shirts ready to snatch Trouble on Tatooine.

Just saw the beyond the brick review, that leg mechanism looks amazing. Can’t wait to get in there and build it for myself. Already have some ideas on how to motorise it, but the lego purist in me isn’t happy about my solutions. 

9 hours ago, karmajay said:

I do remember a bunch of questions on how they would stabilize the legs when this was rumored way back. They did a great job of coming up with a solution that makes it stable and gives a good ability to change poses. They really need some more congrats on that for sure!

Agreed, the leg joints are impressively built judging by the reviews. I do find it rather amusing that they tell you how *not* to pose the AT-AT in the instructions, though. :laugh:

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

You're so lucky, mine opens at 10am. You'd think that means I'd be able to get up later, but last year I was there before the mall it was in even opened, I'm talking like 7-8am, and there was already a huge line of guys in mythosaur t-shirts ready to snatch Trouble on Tatooine.

I wonder how many sets each store will get 

when the Falcon was released my local store only got 10 sets

10am opening time, I’m aiming to get there by 8am and sit and watch Empire while I wait 

6 hours ago, Tipsy46 said:

I wonder how many sets each store will get 

when the Falcon was released my local store only got 10 sets

10am opening time, I’m aiming to get there by 8am and sit and watch Empire while I wait 

That sounds like fun! I am guessing our local store won't have much more than 10; that's about how many they get when big new releases like Titanic or UCS Falcon start selling. I'm honestly not that interested in the GWP, so if I miss out on that/the AT-AT at first it's no big deal. There's just something about getting it on release day that sounds really appealing. Two weeks away!

6 hours ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

.... I'm honestly not that interested in the GWP, so if I miss out on that/the AT-AT at first it's no big deal. There's just something about getting it on release day that sounds really appealing. Two weeks away!

Hopefully their will be more stock of the Luke lightsaber GWP than there was with the Yoda lightsaber GWP but the Yoda set is currently selling on the secondary market for $113 plus so even if you are not interested in the Luke lightsaber set  based on its merits as a set, you might still be interested in it for other reasons....

5 hours ago, Friscorays said:

you might still be interested in it for other reasons....

Hello there 

Edited by Brikkyy13

23 hours ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

People were waiting outside the mall at Washington Square in Portland starting at 4 in the morning and it didn't open until I believe 10am. I might try my luck again online and if that doesn't work I might just have to wait till a second wave.

On 11/9/2021 at 10:59 PM, Kdapt-Preacher said:

From the Brothers Brick review:

Hide contents

LEGO-Star-Wars-75313-UCS-AT-AT-TBB-Revie

Hmmm well I don't think anyone can legitimately complain abou the diversity of masked characters... So it's all good.

I haven't been paying attention to LEGO sets much lately because new baby and job, but geeze, I hope this thing is still around in a year or two! And I hope I find myself falling into money because I want to recreate the Battle of Hoth lol!

BAH! I want the set!!! Can't... justify........ wife... will murder...

1 hour ago, BrickG said:

BAH! I want the set!!! Can't... justify........ wife... will murder...

I mean. Yes that will suck for you. But she'll get a sweet lego set out of it. So, either way you'll be making her happy in the end.

Personally I'm not fussed about what faces are under a helmet, I want this set because it's such an iconic part of of the Star Wars universe. 

If people are put off by the diverse faces and the additional cost for the UK buyers then that's good for me. 

Is this going to be a set that is going to be in huge initial demand like the UCS Falcon or should I have no problem logging in on the day of release and ordering it online?

1 hour ago, SquirrelArmy said:

Is this going to be a set that is going to be in huge initial demand like the UCS Falcon or should I have no problem logging in on the day of release and ordering it online?

I think it's going to be similar to the Titanic situation - first batch will go out in minutes then backorders will kick in. If you are not in a hurry I'd wait for the next double VIP points (if you intend to get it online) or try reserving one in a lego store. I know my local lego store does that but you should give them a phone call or go there in person to book it. I'm not sure if that's a standard practice though