evancelt

[COR-FB] Mayor's House, Wullham

After Captain Brickleton's horse lost a shoe, Lieutenant Tennyson gave him a ride home. Brickleton was glad to see that his attendant had the fires going inside - there was a chill in the air.

Brickleton had chosen the spot for his home during an early scouting survey. When he saw the magnificent oak next to a small stream, he knew he would build his house next to it. With so few trees on the island of Panarium, a mature oak was to be treasured.

mayors-house-1.jpg

mayors-house-2.jpg

mayors-house-3.jpg

Licensed as a medium residence in Wullham

Edited by evancelt

Wow!! This is phenomenal @evancelt. I saw it on Instagram (I'm Jimsmocs) but seeing it finished is great. The base is superb but what really shines out is that house. Its very cleverly built and is reminiscent of a victoriana English cottage. Also, well done with the lavender, it must have been hard to pull that off, but surprisingly, it works! The tree too is phenomenal and the way you integrated the stream is brilliant. Great work! 

Edited by Count Vroskri
Quoted entire post.

Nice diorama! The colored landscape with the small stream and the bridge looks beautiful. The angled house with the angled extension has an interesting and beautiful architecture.

Similarities to the Produce Farm can be seen in the construction. Is it the @evancelt building styles of Wullham?

Beautiful, just beautiful! The setting, the build, the details. Perfection! Once again, I applaud your integration of the lavender tiles into this MOC. So cool to see all of your Wulham builds tied together by this. It's a very neat accent color, that works really well here. I love weathered mossy roof and the offsetting of the shingles. That's something I haven't seen done a lot. The texturing and weathering on the walls is also perfect, to me at least. Not too little, not too much. Really great MOC!

EDIT: Forgot to mention the tree. So beautiful too, with those autumn colors. It adds a nice extra splash of color to the whole scene. Great combination of those big leaves and then the smaller orange pieces.

You have been really churning out a lot of great builds lately. :classic:

This is a beautiful composition. The base is artfully done, especially with the medium nougat path. Both the stream and little footbridge turned out well and the tree is a a beauty. The house is a really good design, especially the roof, and I'm impressed that you managed to make it look so big! Excellent work.

@Count Vroskri @NOD @Khorne @Professor Thaum @Captain Dee Thanks for all the positive feedback! I'm happy with how this one turned out. I used the Naval Intelligence Office in Port Woodhouse build as inspiration and it was fun to experiment with the stream in the base as well as adding things at non-grid angles (the bridge, house).

I tried adding a white Harry Potter owl in the oak tree, but you can't see it in the final pictures :pir-grin:

I reached the end of my light bley supply of cheese slopes when I was 3/4 of the way through making the roof, so I made the rest olive green and that turned out well, giving it a mossy look. Have some more cheese slopes in the mail for future builds.

@NOD - Yes, I'm hoping to create a Wullham aesthetic of whitewashed buildings with light bley and lavender peeking through. Thatched roofs and blockier masonry for regular houses, but stone roofs and smoother walls for more substantial/fancier ones

Over on the Pirates Forum I posted a tutorial thread where I stepped through how I made the @Ayrlego-style base.

Edited by evancelt

Very nice! I really like the various texture techniques used on a white building, and the mix of olive in the grays of the roof. The new leaf pieces are well used in the tree (nice color palette there as well!). impressive scene. :thumbup:

I like that tree on the left, and the snot base really adds to the look the the build, I like the wall texture too.

@evancelt Excellent build, and I love the stream, the building and the story! The roof looks amazing, and I love the mix of the colouring. The stream and tree look great too, and it's been fantastic seeing you improve build over build! 

I really like that you set the house and bridge at an angle, it makes the scene much more visually interesting!  Impressive job integrating that lower roof, I know from experience those kind of angles are a pain.  Also a great tree!

Thanks for the positive feedback, @Capt Wolf @Bodi @Mesabi @Kai NRG!

3 hours ago, Mesabi said:

it's been fantastic seeing you improve build over build! 

Thanks @Mesabi! The fortunate/unfortunate (and obvious) lesson I have learned is that the longer I spend on a MOC the better it turns out.

The ones I create in a single sitting don't have as many details and aren't as well thought out, and the ones that take 3 - 4 sittings leave me time to think about layout and new techniques. For the longer ones I can take pictures as I go and think about ways to improve it from those pictures before it's done. Probably a place for both approaches (especially because the longer approach takes more time to finish = less output) moving forward :pir-grin:

3 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Impressive job integrating that lower roof, I know from experience those kind of angles are a pain.

Thanks - yeah I experimented with using wedge plates there and it helped wrap around the corner. There are two layers of wedges under the angled corner so light doesn't come through

13 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

The new leaf pieces are well used in the tree (nice color palette there as well!)

I really like those new leaf pieces! So far I've picked some up in lime green, bright green, green, orange, and yellow. They seem super versatile for ground veg, wall vines, trees, etc

Edited by evancelt

As others have said, a very nice build! I commend you for the angled features - they turned put so well!

One nit-pick (and it is very minor) is the small gap under the main roof, which can be hard to cover up sometimes (speaking from experience)

17 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

One nit-pick (and it is very minor) is the small gap under the main roof, which can be hard to cover up sometimes (speaking from experience)

Good call - I've been eyeing that as well. Something to work through next time! For now in this build it can be thought of as an architectural feature :pir-grin:

Edited by evancelt

Excellent work, Evan - I don't have much to add to the comments already given other than that you are really giving Wullham an excellent distinctive style! Hopefully I can find time to build there soon!

@Count Vroskri Just a quick note to ask you to stop quoting entire posts, pictures, etc. when you comment. It takes up a lot of unnecessary space. Thanks :)

On 2/11/2021 at 2:23 AM, Bregir said:

you are really giving Wullham an excellent distinctive style! Hopefully I can find time to build there soon!

Thanks! Looking forward to having some more @Bregir builds in Wullham!