Ngoc Nguyen

42125 Ferrari 488 GTE “AF Corse #51”

On 11/27/2020 at 6:03 PM, JunkstyleGio said:

Anything positive to say?

:laugh:

I said it looks great from the front. I will wait for more info. So far, I will pass. I can change my opinion with more info later on. 

On 11/27/2020 at 7:44 PM, Lasse D said:

If you look back in the thread, you can see that the wheels are too big!

lets agree to disagree :-)

16 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

I've never seen TLG combine prints and stickers on one single part (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know every set&part...) So if the sides have a pattern, it'll probably be printed as well.

When it comes to this windscreen, it has always been printed on the top only, and when decorations on the side were needed (here), Lego used stickers.

On the Ferrari, the sides of the windscreen aren't visible, so I doubt stickers will be required.

Anyways, I quite like the set. Of course I wish it were more interesting from a technical point of view, but Lego currently sells three cars with a working gearbox, as well as a motorbike, so I don't mind seeing something a bit different.

2 minutes ago, Leewan said:

so I don't mind seeing something a bit different.

'Something a bit different' just being 'the others but less' is still kinda disappointing though :cry_sad:

Edited by Bartybum

Because we're AFOLs who've seen tens and tens of sets and MOCs. It's not the case for every consumer out there. I mean, I like when Technic sets have functions, especially manual ones, but I don't think it's a requirement (Technic is just a building system) and I can understand Lego can't reasonably do only sets packed with a lots of functions. But I have to admit that given the price they're asking for, even a simple gearbox would have been nice.

11 minutes ago, J_C said:

(...)

lets agree to disagree :-)

No. I hate to disagree, so I will have to change my mind and agree with you that the wheels should be even bigger.

This is a long thread, so it is understandable that you didn't want to browse back. For this reason I am reposting the picture I used to prove that the wheels are already too big.

lPtFxvb.png

Now that we agree that the wheels should be even bigger, how big do you think they should be?

@Lasse D That's not a fair comparison image; the perspectives are completely different. Not only does the real photo have almost no perspective, but it's also taken slightly from behind the car. The set photo is side-on, and has perspective. You can't do a comparison of the two. That being said, I totally agree with you though that the wheels are too big for the body, and the arches contribute to the look. That being said, no other wheel size would do well, and I'm staunchly against TLG making yet another wheel size.

1 minute ago, Bartybum said:

@Lasse D That's not a fair comparison image; the perspectives are completely different. Not only does the real photo have almost no perspective, but it's also taken slightly from behind the car. The set photo is side-on, and has perspective. You can't do a comparison of the two. That being said, I totally agree with you though that the wheels are too big for the body, and the arches contribute to the look. That being said, no other wheel size would do well, and I'm staunchly against TLG making yet another wheel size.

Im thinking that maybe the Porsche and the Ferrari should swap wheels.

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Im thinking that maybe the Porsche and the Ferrari should swap wheels.

As in, the RSR or the GT3 RS?

19 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Alright. I have to change my position again and agree to disagree. The photo is used to show the differences in length-wise offsets for the positioning of the wheels, windscreen and other design elements. The slight difference in angle is negligible and the picture can absolutely be used for a comparison of the two. 

I think the wheel-size problem is less about the wheels themselves and mostly about the mudguards. In the real car they follow very closely the tyre's outer curve but in the Lego version there's a significant gap, which makes the wheels look too big and too small at the same time. This is particularly egregious on the front wheels but the rear wheels also have too big gap. Fixing that would be really hard though, as it would probably require both, new wheel size and new mudguard part specifically made to accommodate the tight gap between the tyre and the mudguard.

1 hour ago, Lasse D said:

The photo is used to show the differences in length-wise offsets for the positioning of the wheels, windscreen and other design elements. The slight difference in angle is negligible and the picture can absolutely be used for a comparison of the two. 

The front I can deal with, but not the back; they're two completely different angles. The real one is from behind and adds length, whereas the set one is from in front and removes length. These pictures would be more appropriate:

1.jpg

fe3a6c8c345d4cb8bc04a241ba9b74da.jpg

Ferrari_488_GT3_EVO_2020_store_item_thum

9 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

42096 swap with 42125

Just for the standard Technic rim aesthetic? Interesting

If I make the rear tires to appear same size between the two, it makes the Lego version shorter, meaning the rear tires are too big? If the wheels of the Lego 488 were too small, stretching the image to match the wheels size of the reference 488 would make it appear longer.

JkWyr9l.png

7 hours ago, Leewan said:

When it comes to this windscreen, it has always been printed on the top only, and when decorations on the side were needed (here), Lego used stickers.

Thanks for the in-depth insights, learned something new again:thumbup:.

I agree though that the sides will not have stickers on this set. You can see a small edge of blank plastic on the side of the windscreen in the box front picture.

I think that the slightly oversize wheels/fenders and extra suspension travel/ride height give this model a bit of a rally car appearance. It doesn't match the track car designation, but it's not a bad look for the model.

The wheels wells are still a close fit compared to 42039 or 42077.

42125_BI_02_940-640x370.jpg

Is this blue regular blue or dark azure? If it's regular blue then there's another recolor part: 3x11 panel in regular blue.

11 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Is this blue regular blue or dark azure? If it's regular blue then there's another recolor part: 3x11 panel in regular blue.

I think it's just regular blue yeah

56 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

I think it's just regular blue yeah

More regular blue to the people! :)

My take on this set is this. Yes, the wheels are bit big for the scale. However, seeing as the fenders match the wheels so welI this set should be a good starting point to build a in my opinion the perfect size LEGO car.

It's definitely normal blue. I wonder if this is 3x11 or 5x11 though, I suppose both are possible. Either way we will get a new part or a rare part reintroduced. 

A brick built 2 plate tall skirt would extend the body down enough to make it look the correct right height. Might be possible to do via lift arms with some significant chassis redesign. 

The very front skirt is low enough, nothing else is though. 

Really wish they'd include a working transmission in one of these non flagship cars, even if it sacrifices other functions to do so. Would be nice to have a more affordable parts pack with transmission pics other than $350+ lego sets, or multiple $70 Ducati bikes. 

The arch wheel extension is already available on LDD ?

The blue panel is 3x11x1 I think

Edited by SNIPE