Bag 4 was really hard to model.  Really, really hard.  Errata: new wheel arches not available so old ones substituted.  They don't look right and interfere with some flex axles.  Door jamb rotors not available so I truncated the existing rotor model.  Doesn't look too bad.  I'm able to put the spoiler up and down in the model.

800x450.jpg

Here's a lovely preview of the car from the rear which is pretty much done.  I'm using the Chiron wheels until the correct wheels are available.

800x450.jpg

Sweet! Nice work.

@Blakbird Great to see you in work again! :classic: One questions to the renders: isn't there a perspective camera setting available? To my eyes it is very weird, that the model splays in orthographic view.

perspective-orthographic-diagram.png

2 hours ago, agrof said:

One questions to the renders: isn't there a perspective camera setting available? To my eyes it is very weird, that the model splays in orthographic view.

Ah, so that´s why my brain is telling me the front wheels are bigger than the rear wheels...*huh*. Indeed, perspective view would be nicer to the eye. Nonetheless, exquisite work so far, looking really good.

And Eric @Blakbird, great to see you´re back and active again.

If The Lego Group would be clever in business, they would sell kits with different body colors as an add on. 

I would totally pay $49.99 for a dark green or the Azure-63 livery. 

33 minutes ago, Jubuilder said:

If The Lego Group would be clever in business, they would sell kits with different body colors as an add on.

But then people would just buy the kits and build the cars with pieces from their collection. I know I would

33 minutes ago, Jubuilder said:

I think you are in a small minority in that regard. Ive thought the same about the speed champions lineup before, clearbacked stickers offer easy colour changes, making it an option to buy the same set several times, lego could even sell "tuning packs" for those cars, allowing you to turn a road-going Ferrari into a GT3 version, but i think the market for this kind of add-on kit will be tiny compared to the normal sets.

4 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

But then people would just buy the kits and build the cars with pieces from their collection. I know I would

True that.

1 hour ago, Jubuilder said:

If The Lego Group would be clever in business

:roflmao::roflmao: ..."In the first half of 2015, The Lego Group became the world's largest toy company by revenue, with sales amounting to US$2.1 billion"

Maybe you should give them some tips!! Personally i think they're clever in business.. $2.1 billion dollars is about 2.099 cleverer than me anyway!!

8 hours ago, scooper22 said:

AFAIK they're bog old standard tires, so they shouldn't be too expensive.

Yes, the tires are not special.  I’m talking about the “P-zero” markings on the sidewall. 

1 hour ago, Jubuilder said:

I’ll join; I shell out that much for a purple skin. 

6 hours ago, Blakbird said:

Bag 4 was really hard to model.  Really, really hard.

This effort is really boggling my mind! I for one would love to study the virtual model while waiting for the physical set to get its first good discount. What are your thoughts/plans on sharing the virtual model (once completed)?

2 hours ago, Jubuilder said:

I would pay 50€ for a bag of black, red or white bodypanels. But since LEGO wont be doing that, I'll get the bodypanels from GoBricks if I need them. In a useful color. I am not loyal to any brand, I pay who ever can deliver what I want.

Wait 3 months and I bet you could rebrick the Sian in different colors using the Power Of The Dark Side.

No need to buy a knockoff Sian, just get the single bricks you need from a quality source to fullfill your dream build :wink:

4 hours ago, Jubuilder said:

If I'm not mistaken, the current body already has different colors :tongue:

Did I say that out loud?! :look:

We have spoken about this idea several times in the past (and I even discussed it with Kim back in the days). It sounds cool, but it simply isn't a proper strategy for TLG. 

2 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

"In the first half of 2015, The Lego Group became the world's largest toy company by revenue, with sales amounting to US$2.1 billion"

And this. TLG knows how to make a profit.

4 hours ago, Jubuilder said:

There is another simple reason. For a product you want your target group as big as possible. The 8110 or the 42054 is a perfect examples. These sets are targeted at a quite big group (people who like Lego Technic in general, Unimogs and/or tractors) and one could create tons of different attachments for them.

BUT: The group of buyers for extensions for a specific set is much smaller from the outset compared to the target group for these vehicles. Extensions for the Unimog/Xerion will only be bought by the ones, who have these sets. And it is not even certain that everybody who bought an Unimog, will also buy (all) extensions. So if TLG would invest time for extensions, they would limit the target group for themselves.

So, from an economical perspective it does not make sense at all. It's just not profitable for TLG to create extensions for sets.

Edited by Andman

Just now, Andman said:

So, from an economical perspective it does not make sense at all. It's just not profitable for TLG to create extensions for sets.

True. They want to sell sets. Sets sell.

That said, it would not be a massive effort to have ‘alternate bodies’ available as a one-click option on TLG’s own pick-a-brick site. 
Offer these with a 25% discount over the equivalent bought individually total and I reckon they’d still see a decent profit.

9 minutes ago, Big Adam said:

That said, it would not be a massive effort to have ‘alternate bodies’ available as a one-click option on TLG’s own pick-a-brick site. 
Offer these with a 25% discount over the equivalent bought individually total and I reckon they’d still see a decent profit.

They might see a decent profit. But they probably see more profit by using the warehousing and logistics capacity to sell other sets. So, the question is not if they would make profit. The question is whether they can make more profit by selling other sets. And the latter is most likely the case.

PROBABLY NOT. I WILL PROBABLY ENJOY THE BUILD AND JUST TAKE SOME PHOTOS. BUT MAYBE I CHANGE MY MIND.

@Jim Hi is this the police's number? I believe I've heard some rows from the nearby posts. Yes they are talking in capitals *gasp*. Can you uhm drop by and do sth about that please. :tongue:

1 hour ago, Jim said:

PROBABLY NOT. I WILL PROBABLY ENJOY THE BUILD AND JUST TAKE SOME PHOTOS. BUT MAYBE I CHANGE MY MIND.

l9uvnZjm5FLcwLKMpJBMMU0wEo5SHhSwa-9-rfA7

2 hours ago, Big Adam said:

TLG has a long-term strategy with parts and colors. If you have a look at the lime parts used in this set, you'll find most of them in black, white and one of the grays, then red and maybe yellow, but I'm almost sure you won't have all of the needed parts currently in production in a specific color other than the original. And this is only a single set, if they make an alternate body for this one then fans would want to see the same for other sets as well. With every color variation they need to have extra stock that requires warehouse space and logistics, it also makes the manufacturing more complicated. This means an alternate body wouldn't be a $50 option, rather a $200 one that obviously won't sell well, so I guess this is the reason why we don't get any official color swap packages.

11 hours ago, agrof said:

@Blakbird Great to see you in work again! :classic: One questions to the renders: isn't there a perspective camera setting available? To my eyes it is very weird, that the model splays in orthographic view.

Yes, I can use any kind of lens.  The pictures I've shown aren't technically orthographic, they just have a very small field of view (1 degree).  I chose this intentionally because it makes it easier to interrogate models during the building process to check for errors without distortion.  It also makes it easier to overlay steps to check progress.  However, I agree that pictures with greater perspective look more "real".  Try these.

Here is the original picture with 1deg FOV:

640x360.jpg

Here it is with 20deg FOV:

640x360.jpg

And here it is with 40deg FOV:

640x360.jpg

6 hours ago, astyanax said:

This effort is really boggling my mind! I for one would love to study the virtual model while waiting for the physical set to get its first good discount. What are your thoughts/plans on sharing the virtual model (once completed)?

Sure, I can make the file available when I am done.

45 minutes ago, kbalage said:

TLG has a long-term strategy with parts and colors. If you have a look at the lime parts used in this set, you'll find most of them in black, white and one of the grays, then red and maybe yellow, but I'm almost sure you won't have all of the needed parts currently in production in a specific color other than the original. And this is only a single set, if they make an alternate body for this one then fans would want to see the same for other sets as well. With every color variation they need to have extra stock that requires warehouse space and logistics, it also makes the manufacturing more complicated. This means an alternate body wouldn't be a $50 option, rather a $200 one that obviously won't sell well, so I guess this is the reason why we don't get any official color swap packages.

Agreed.  For example the 32294 wishbone suspension arm has been used in this model around the tail lights in lime.  It has never existed in any other color than black.  In order to produce a color parts pack for this model, they would have to produce that part in a new color just for the parts pack.  Maintaining a new element ID is very expensive, and that's just one of several parts in this model (rotors, wheel arches, panels, etc) that don't exist in other colors.  If all the parts did exist in an alternate color (in current production) then it would indeed be a pretty simple matter to offer a color swap.